[movie 2008] A Man Once A Superman 슈퍼맨이었던 사나

Guest huangsy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize that they've just had the press conference for the movie. It's all done and set for release! Very soon! ^^ Cool!

---

January 7, 2008

Jeon Ji Hyun, "Would choose a movie that my children can watch"

4420lw1.jpg

At the press conference held on the 7th for the upcoming film "The man who used to be Superman," Jeon Ji Hyun commented that she selects pieces that her children will be able to watch.

In regards to a question asking whether she would choose a smoking scene or love scene, "Actors also have to make decisions based on their thoughts, but I would choose a movie that my children can later watch."

Director Jung Yoon Cheol who also attended the conference added jokingly, "Ji Hyun would probably not choose a love scene unless it is directed by someone like Director Ang Lee (of Se, jie, 'Lust, Caution')."

Hwang Jung Min who plays the main male lead that believes himself to be Superman commented, "We had to film one scene that expressed many complicated emotions 34 times for over a three day period to get an 'OK' sign. Ji Hyun was fine on the first cut, but I felt bad because we had to repeat the scene because of me."

He also added, "Trying to make myself believe that I am Superman was the hardest part of this movie. Acting is supposed to be from the heart and not calculated in the head, and that was only possible because I worked with Ji Hyun."

Director Jung added, "The actors most likely had a hard time because the spectrum of emotions required for the movie was equivalent to that of several movies. Ji Hyun said before that she would like the superpower to act well, and I think she has gained that power to a certain extent."

Director Jung, who also produced "Marathon," in "The man who used to be Superman" draws the story of a rather cynical human documentary producer Song Soo Jung (Jeon Ji Hyun) and the man (Hwang Jung Min) who helps everyone around him believing himself to be Superman.

Source: Broasia.com

http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...pg=1&no=442

Guest j-star

woah, she really does look plain in the pics!! O_O then again it's usually her lips and curves that attract attention. >_< with those clothes, we all can focus on the acting. :) also, gianna jun, is she sticking with that in korea as well? i think if she does, this could be a sign of good luck to a fresh new her.

January 8, 2008

Jun, Hwang Become Super Heroes

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080108p15junmn5.jpg

Actors Hwang Jung-min, left, and Jun Ji-hyun speak at a press conference

for their new movie "A Man Who Was Superman,'' Monday at a Seoul theater.

/ Korea Times photo by Shim Hyun-chul

Hallyu princess Jun Ji-hyun (also known as Gianna Jun, "My Sassy Girl," 2001) and Korea's favorite leading man Hwang Jung-min ("Happiness," 2007) may seem like an odd pair, but they have one thing in common: superstar power.

The two join forces in "A Man Who Was Superman," a story about an unlikely "hero" (Hwang), who goes out of his way to help ― or rescue ― the planet by helping senior citizens cross the street and hand-standing in the middle of the road "to push away" the detrimental effects of the sun. Jun plays the role of Song Su-jeong, a cynical documentary filmmaker who records his story.

A press conference Monday at a Seoul theater buzzed with reporters trying to catch the two stars in the latest work by Chung Yoon-chul, the director who had the entire nation crying with his tearjerker "Marathon" (2005).

The director and actors arrived a little late for the event, and Hwang explained that it was because the emergency exit door was locked. "I wanted to break it down, but I couldn't use my superpower. I can't use it as long as I have kryptonite stuck in my head" he said.

Kryptonite is a fictional substance that weakens Superman's powers in the original American comic series. In the movie, his character claims to have kryptonite stuck in his head, and when Song (Jun) discovers through an X-ray that there really is something in his brain, she knows she has the story of her life.

"I am Superman, a man who is truly Superman at heart," Hwang introduced himself. Hwang is undoubtedly the most high profile actor in Korea, and revisits fans with a third movie just a few months after "Black House" and "Happiness" (2007).

Although Jun was regularly seen on TV through various commercials here, she makes an appearance on the big screen for the first time in two years since "Daisy" (2006). She had also been busy shooting her Hollywood debut piece "Blood: The Last Vampire."

For "Superman," the actress cut off her signature long silky hair, and her character even suffers from balding. But Jun explained that the hair wasn't a problem at all ― it was having to smoke that worried her. "I actually smoked, and it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. But I put health above everything else, and I asked myself if I really had to hurt my health for my career," she said. When asked rather mischievously if she'd choose a sex scene over smoking, Jun simply said, "I want to shoot movies that I'd be proud to show my children."

But she knew that "Superman" was a big opportunity. "Although luck was probably involved, I think it's destiny for an actor to 'meet' new work," she said.

She also admitted feeling a lot of pressure acting opposite her co-star, a bona-fide actor. "But on the first day I met him, I realized that I have much to learn from him, not only from his acting, but also as an individual," she said.

Hwang also complimented his co-star. "I was amazed to see myself make such different facial expressions. But it's because of Jun. Acting is not something you can calculate, it's a heart-to-heart dialogue, and it was possible because of her."

In fact, there was one scene that required 34 retakes because of Hwang, and Jun calls this her "triumph. I thought that the great actor Hwang Jung-min would just need just one go," she joked.

"This movie shows that it's not so difficult or a big deal to make a difference in the world, that we can all become Superman," said the director. "I hope the audience will feel happy while watching the 'supernatural' acting of our actors, and realize the potential in themselves."

When asked what they would do if given superpowers, the director said he would help clean the oil spill in Taean, South Chungcheon Province, while Jun said she would start with the little things in life such as a helping a needy neighbor, and Hwang joked he would turn back time to retrieve money he had lost to a bully as a child.

"I am proud to be able to share the successful 'localization' of the American comic strip," said the director, drawing a hearty laugh from the crowd. "Perhaps you can stay tuned for 'A Woman Who was Wonder Woman' starring Jun Ji-hyun in the future."

In theaters Jan. 31.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../141_16934.html

Guest sakura_dubai

i heard once about this movie !! it sounds fun !!

umm, but what is the prupose of having this actor .. i don't mean anything bad.. i don't see anything special .. is there any?

umm, but what is the prupose of having this actor .. i don't mean anything bad.. i don't see anything special .. is there any?

Hi there! Welcome to the thread! :)

The movie really looks like a lot of fun, from the trailer and screencaps. Pretty funny scenes, too.

About this particular actor playing the lead role, you'll have to find out by watching him act in the movie :D.. whether he's indeed special or just a really talented best actor.

official website : http://www.superman2008.co.kr/

the purpose of this actor is he is probably one of the few actors around who can make you believed he is anything he choose to be in . i.e including superman .

technically in my opinion . he ranked as among the top ten actors in korea . his range of acting capabilities is unlimited just .pick up one of his movie and go watch .

Guest yum yum dimsum

^ OMG!! :blink: i would've never guessed, now that you pointed it out, yeah it's a Clark Kent get up!!

well he's not your typical Korean hunk that have millions of stalkers fangirls but he is considered one of the most talented Korean actors today. he's one of the chameleons of Korean cinema-- i think that's his charm. he's not that bad looking either.

anyway..

January 9, 2008

Fresh new start for Korean film industry!

Veteran directors are coming back

Upon the spirits of the New Year 2008, the Korean films are preparing a big counterblow against the Hollywood films. One after another, the talented veteran directors are coming back with a huge bag of New Year's surprises for the movie fans.

The reporter Nam Sang-seok will give you more information about their big comebacks. <8 o'clock news>

Director Lim Soon-rye had been capturing the dark side of our society with a warm gaze in her previous films such as "Three friends" and "Waikiki Brothers". Her latest film, "Forever the Moment" is the first female sport film ever made in the history of Korean films and is based on a true story of female handball team in the Athene Olympics, 2004.

[Director Lim Soon-rye: Many people are having difficult time these days and I wish the movie inspire them to have courage, hope and the strength to overcome their hardships.]

Director Jeong Yoon-chul of "Marathon" is coming back with "A man who was Superman" (starring Hwang Jeong-min and Jeon Ji-hyeon). It is a story of an absurd man who believes himself to be a Superman and gives out laughter and deep sensation to his neighbours.

Director Kim Ji-woon's "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" is a 12 billion-won worth large-scaled action film set in the Manchurian Plain in the 1930s. The genre of the film is 'Manchurian Western' where a train robber (Song Kang-ho), a mounted bandit (Lee Byeong-Heon) and a prize hunter (Jeong Woo-seong) are fighting over a treasure map.

Director Jeong Ji-woo of "Close to You" is coming back with a historical film, "Modern Boy" (starring Kim Hye-soo and Park Hae-il), which is set in the period of the Japanese colonisation in Korea.

Director Kim Yoo-jin is also preparing a large-scaled action-historical film based on a secret weapon, Singijun, which was developed at the time of King Seo-jong of Chosun dynasty.

[Oh Dong-jin (film critic): Even though the success of the films may not be guaranteed, in an aspect of preparing for next ten years, the directors should continue to seek chances to experiment with new things and bring new changes to the scene.]

It will be interesting to see whether the comebacks of these veteran directors who are prepared with new styles and new materials would become a green light for the resurrection of Korean Film industry in 2008.

Translation credits www.hancinema.net, Original article at news.naver.com

January 13, 2008

Must-See Films in 2008

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080113p16must1cg3.jpg

Star Power Reigns Big Screen

This year, a long lineup of star-studded movies, both homegrown and Hollywood imports, awaits release with Korea's hottest stars and bona fide actors gracing the silver screen throughout 2008.

While a high profile cast hasn't always guaranteed a sellout, it would be hard to walk past movie posters featuring top stars.

The New Year starts off with a bang. Jun Ji-hyun (also known as Gianna Jun) makes her long-awaited comeback after a two-year hiatus opposite Hwang Jung-min in "A Man Who Was Superman," to open across theaters Jan. 31.

The movie garnered attention by butchering down Jun's "wholesome" image for the role of a chain-smoking, tomboyish filmmaker. Meanwhile, fans are anxious to see how Hwang will pull off his interesting role as Superman.

The red poster of "Hellcats" features three female stars representing their own generation: 47-year-old actress Lee Mi-suk ("Untold Scandal," 2003), whose sex appeal seems to grow stronger with each passing year; 25-year-old fashion icon Kim Min-hee, who appears onscreen for the first time in six years; and 15-year-old Ahn So-hee of the sensational K-pop group Wonder Girls, who is making headlines with her acting debut.

Tracing the highflying romances of these three women, this ultimate "chick flick" is slated for release Jan. 17.

A host of films boasting macho star power will be released this year. In March comes "Nuneneun Nun, Ieneun I" (Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth) starring two household names, Han Seok-gyu ("Shiri," 1998) and Cha Seung-won ("My Teacher, Mr. Kim," 2003). In his 16th film, Han gives an edge to his soft charisma as a merciless cop while Cha pumps up his muscles to play the perfect criminal.

The poster for "Sukmyeong" (Destiny) steals women's hearts and provokes men's jealousy as two "momjjang" or "hot body" actors appear together _ topless. Song Seung-heon makes a big comeback _ after serving in the military _ opposite Kwon Sang-woo in this action-packed drama about a friendship that goes sour.

Director Kim Jee-woon ("A Bittersweet Life," 2005) brings a "Korean-style Western" movie to the screens starring three of Korea's A-list male celebrities: "certified" actor Song Kang-ho, hallyu megastar Lee Byung-hun and heartthrob Jung Woo-sung.

The movie is set in the 1930s, during the Japanese occupation of Korea. Far away in Manchuria, the Good (Jung), the Bad (Lee) and the Weird (Song) become entangled in a train robbery case over a treasure map. This larger than life story becomes even more complicated as Japanese authorities and Korean independence fighters enter the scene.

Another highly anticipated film is "Ssanghwajeom," coming to theaters this summer. It combines the star power of Zo In-sung ("A Dirty Carnival," 2006) and Joo Jin-mo ("200 Pounds Beauty," 2006). Director Yoo Ha takes the two handsome actors back to Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C.-A.D. 668). Zo and Joo play the parts of a king and bodyguard, respectively, who become involved in a homosexual romance.

Other long-awaited films include low-budget projects that still shine with star power. Korea's celebrated director Kim Ki-duk brings together Korea's popular actress Lee Na-young and Japan's heartthrob in "Bimong" (Sad Dream), which will be in theaters in the fall/winter.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, undoubtedly the biggest headline maker of 2007, continues her post-Cannes acting career through a small, mellow film "Meotjin Haru" (One Fine Day, working title), which is also slated for release in the fall/winter.

Filmmaker Park Chan-wook, whose name alone is enough to attract crowds, has fans anxiously waiting with "Bakjwi" (Bat, scheduled to show this spring) as well as a "Hongdangmu" (Carrot), a film he is producing for the first time.

Meanwhile, Hollywood films starring top Korean talent make 2008 an exciting year for fans: "Speed Racer" starring pop star Rain (Jung Ji-hoon) and Joon Park (Park Joon-hyung), the former member of K-pop group G.O.D.; "Laundry Warrior" with hot actor Jang Dong-kun (Jang Dong-gun); "Blood: The Last Vampire" with Jun Ji-hyun (Gianna Jun); and "Fetish" with Song Hye-kyo.

Other big movies to look forward to this summer are the latest installments of Hollywood blockbusters: the 22nd of the James Bond series and the fourth Harrison Ford classic "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" in May, as well as the Sylvester Stallone-helmed "Rambo 4" (release date in Korea to be announced).

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../141_17200.html

January 22, 2008

"Superman 2008" Features Unusual Romance

2008012227798jn3.jpg

“I feel comfortable about my life as an actress. I feel easy about living as an actress and getting older as an actress. I think I will have more to show to people in the future. It’s because I think I could slowly improve and show that much more to people."

Jun Ji-hyun unexpectedly looked comfortable when her new movie "Superman 2008" (to be officially released on January 31) had its debut yesterday, even when the actress is getting all the attention despite there are many prominent participants in the movie. For example, Jeong Yun-cheol, director of "Marathon," made the movie and Hwang Jung-min, one of the most popular actors, is the leading male actor.

Jun is undoubtedly one of the nation’s top actresses. However, she has failed to change her image in "My Sassy Girl," which made her a movie star, and free herself from the title as a CF queen. She is now ready to take on the global market with her another movie "Blood: The Last Vampire," which is based on a Japanese animation film and co-produced by France, Hong Kong and Japan. Before going global, she is now destined to be evaluated by the domestic audience in two years. In this regard, the promotion strategy of "Superman 2008" seemed to focus on Jun Ji-hyun’s aspects as an actress. Much attention has been paid to her efforts to play the role. Entertainment news talked about how she had a bang haircut and was willing to turn herself into a documentary producer with cigarettes in her mouth. That is, in order to show better performances, the actress, who has been putting top priority on healthy life, dared to appear in the movie without makeup and struggled smoking herbal and low tar cigarettes.

She said that even though she first thought, "Everything will be ok only if I have trust in Jung-min," her role in the movie was the toughest one she’s ever had. “While playing the role of a producer named ‘Song Su-jeong,’ I found out that the acting which I have thought very easy were in fact very tough. Say, just a laughing scene was really hard this time."

In the new movie, she was visibly different from herself in the past. There was Song Su-jeong in the actress, not a commercial film queen.

“I think a fate lets an actress participate in a movie as if it forces a person to meet somebody. Of course, I think it was a big fortune for me to work with Hwang Jung-min and Director Jeong. However, I believe that I was destined to play the role. In the beginning, I felt pressured to play in a Korean movie for the first time in a very long time. But, I feel comfortable now since I have high expectations for the movie and that I’m very confident.”

The movie tells us that not only a superman but also anybody can change the world and that anybody can become a superman. Jun Ji-hyun agrees with the message of the movie.

“A few days ago, I went out with a friend of mine. She suddenly realized that she had forgot to give some money to an old lady selling gum on the street and went back home to get her purse. I thought she was a superman. I might have felt like that because of the movie. I want to start from something small which I can handle. Most people think a superman is a person who does a very difficult thing which cannot be done by anyone else. However, I’m sure the movie will change their belief.”

Source: The DongA-Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2008012227798

January 22, 2008

[movie REVIEW] 'Superman' flies while Jun Ji-hyun runs aground

"A Man Once a Superman," directed by Jeong Yun-cheol, relies heavily on the performances of award-wining actor Hwang Jun-min, who can transform his silver-screen image at will. This time, he turns into a self-styled superman helping out children and the elderly on the streets of Seoul.

But the question here is, can he save the movie?

"Superman," played by Hwang, sleeps a lot and often wakes up to find himself lying on the street. The first question he asks to himself when he opens his eyes is whether it's past, present or future, as if he travels in time and it's an important question to be answered. But there are more urgent questions. Who is this guy? Why does he help people out? Why can't he fly?

In fact, he's not a real superman. At least not the Superman described in the Hollywood blockbuster series. This guy believes he used to be superman, but somehow evil foes have messed with his brain, resulting in the loss of his super power.

supermanvb3.jpg

How sad. But Song Su-jeong, played by Jun Ji-hyun, does not see any sadness when she stumbles into this mysterious (or simply crazy) man. Song does not care about others that much -- a typical Korean woman who has so many things to worry about in her own life. She is stuck in a cash-strapped situation, though she works hard. She has a boyfriend but she cannot meet him because he's doing some volunteer work in a faraway country. She even goes through a street chase to get back her precious camera bag which is snatched away by a thief. At this very critical moment, of course, our hero Superman appears. To be more specific, he runs, fast, and catches up with the bad guy and recovers the camera bag. A mission accomplished. Song, intrigued by Superman's repeated good deeds, decides to track down on his life on the street. She notices that he is not in his right mind but his behavior is mostly designed to help other people, a rare trait even for the majority of people who believe they are not crazy.

As with the Hollywood Superman, Hwang's Superman has a deep secret about his childhood, involving his mysterious father whose encouraging message is displayed on the electric screen of a street vendor. To understand the connotations about his traumatic past one has to be familiar with Korean history, especially concerning the May 18 Gwangju incident in 1980 where a number of innocent civilians got killed by the then military regime.

The movie zooms in on the past and present of Superman who proves to the world that something should be done when people need help from others. But the process is a bit tedious and repetitive. Tighter editing might have helped the audiences focus on the dramatic plot turns that reveal Superman's real identity.

Jun Ji-hyun, who has yet to transcend the image she put forward in "My Sassy Girl" (2001), has attempted to make some changes. For instance, she smokes on the screen to show some toughness about her documentary job. She does not cry as often as she did in her other box-office duds. Her hair is shorter and her makeup is minimal. But unfortunately, that's all that's changed, and Jun does not demonstrate any meaningful transformation, say, into Superwoman or Wonderwoman or even Cat Woman.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

Archived