Lasik Eye Surgery

Guest loveamii

Guest loveamii

good or bad?

does that not look painful and.. gross?! :crazy:

you're not supposed to feel anything from it, but i heard it hurts after? :huh: ??

has anyone had this before?

i want to have it in the future (when im 21; im 15 now) , but.. im not so sure now

Guest christine_cdc

Uhh..I didn't even finish it.

I was thinking of using it before, but now..I don't know.

There just are a lot of risks to take :(

LASIK surgery is pretty much slicing a flap off the top of your cornea, removing some of the corneal substance to reshape], then replacing the flap so the cornea can heal. its quite a good technique but there are a LOT of complications to do with healing, recession of the surgery [reduces visual acuity], infection, etc..............i wouldnt personally go for surgery yet as the error rate is still very high [7%].......i mean, how many optometrists do u see with laser eye surgery?

Guest marasshi

My aunt got LASIK, and she wore these lab goggles-like glasses for a week I think. I would do it if I were old enough.

edit

My Physics professor said it was technically burning off part of the lens in your eyes (reshaping it actually) to change the focal length to make light converge where your retina is. Or something like that. :X He drew a diagram for us... :x

Guest HERMIT

When I first heard of laser eye surgery, I totally misunderstood what it was all about.

I thought it was cool and that if I had gotten it, I would be like Cyclops in the X-Men.

Guest nicolef4

i got lasik done. honestly, the process freaked me out big time.. i kept squirming and closing my eyes and the surgeon and nurses had to tell me to relax.. lol. i felt like i was going to faint after it was done hahaha.. or maybe it was the anesthetics that they put in my eyes.. (WEIRD feeling)

but it was very quick and hey i don't need glasses anymore ^^ i think it's worth it.

Guest 5imply_5wt

I got lasik done. My contacts were like -4.75 and now I have 20/10 vision.

WOAH 20/10 VISION!! THAT'S SO GOOD!!.. i'm -5.0 for both eyes right now :wacko: .. T~T i'm definitely getting this done when my eye sight stabilizes

i saw the youtube video before.. it does look kinda scary..

Guest princevegetam

just a question?

how much can it correct? like is there a case where your eyes could be -9 or something and they can't correct it anymore?

i'm worried :sweatingbullets:

caused my eyesight hasn't stabilized and it's getting worse, my sight is -5.25 right now

Guest rufflezz

Thank god I have a perfect 20/20 o_o

But there are risks if you're doing the surgery..

Some people might go blind because of it, but it depends on how good the surgeon is too.

Guest je_amourx

You shouldn't get it at such a young age because you're eyes are still changing. I suggest getting it when your in your late 20 perhaps or even older to reassure your vision to be stable. And I would do a lot of research on the doctor beforehand.

It looks terrifying though.

Guest Baby9

leeteuk from super junior got it :D

now he just wears the glasses for fashion..

its worth it. you get like awesome eyesight.

just a question?

how much can it correct? like is there a case where your eyes could be -9 or something and they can't correct it anymore?

i'm worried :sweatingbullets:

caused my eyesight hasn't stabilized and it's getting worse, my sight is -5.25 right now

the higher your script, the more of the cornea they need to burn away...hence depending on the individual, the cornea can become quite thin nd complications occur...such as perforation. i cant remember what the cuttoff was though...il get back to you if i do.

DEFINITELY wait til your eyesight stabilises, recession can occur nd then itd just be a waste of your money.

Guest hunnybunny

Theres alot of misconceptions on whether Lasik surgery is good or bad. I think alot of people just hear "you will be able to see 20/20 immediately afterwards" and just go into the surgery without any in depth research.

The fist step in the process is finding out if you are even a good candidate for the surgery - Lasik centers generally separate patients into "Mild-Risk", "Moderate Risk" and "High Risk" categories. Needless to say, if you are in the Moderate or High risk categories, you are at a greater risk of developing complications afterwards. Doctors need to see that your eye-sight has stabilized for at least 2 - 3 years (they do so by comparing your old glasses prescriptions with more current ones); if it hasn't stabilized they won't/can't do the surgery (if they are a good doctor, that is).

The majority of post-Lasik patients note problems with depth perception and difficult night vision (i.e. when driving, see headlights on other cars as "starbursts", etc). Also, your vision begins to worsen again after 8 - 10 yrs, requiring you to get glasses/contacts again.

Some people love lasik though, and think the good points outweigh the bad. There is no right or wrong answer as to whether or not Lasik is good - it all depends on what your willing to lose in order to temporarily gain good vision.

Guest starburst02

I'm planning to get it in a few years...with all surgeries of course there are complications and failure cases as well as risks associated. But if you want glasses-free days, you gotta take the risk. ><

Guest SongBird

Theres alot of misconceptions on whether Lasik surgery is good or bad. I think alot of people just hear "you will be able to see 20/20 immediately afterwards" and just go into the surgery without any in depth research.

The fist step in the process is finding out if you are even a good candidate for the surgery - Lasik centers generally separate patients into "Mild-Risk", "Moderate Risk" and "High Risk" categories. Needless to say, if you are in the Moderate or High risk categories, you are at a greater risk of developing complications afterwards. Doctors need to see that your eye-sight has stabilized for at least 2 - 3 years (they do so by comparing your old glasses prescriptions with more current ones); if it hasn't stabilized they won't/can't do the surgery (if they are a good doctor, that is).

The majority of post-Lasik patients note problems with depth perception and difficult night vision (i.e. when driving, see headlights on other cars as "starbursts", etc). Also, your vision begins to worsen again after 8 - 10 yrs, requiring you to get glasses/contacts again.

Some people love lasik though, and think the good points outweigh the bad. There is no right or wrong answer as to whether or not Lasik is good - it all depends on what your willing to lose in order to temporarily gain good vision.

I agree with you, but not this part

Also, your vision begins to worsen again after 8 - 10 yrs, requiring you to get glasses/contacts again.

This is not true for everyone. I know a lot of people who have gotten them more than 12 years ago and they have said it really depends on how well you take care of your eyesight that could contribute to whether you can maintain it or make it worse. And of course, for some people it is just genetics.

Guest hunnybunny

This is not true for everyone. I know a lot of people who have gotten them more than 12 years ago and they have said it really depends on how well you take care of your eyesight that could contribute to whether you can maintain it or make it worse. And of course, for some people it is just genetics.

I agree that the eyesight worsening does not apply to everyone - but based on rough statistics taken on Lasik patients, the majority of them have noted a slight - moderate change in their vision after the 10 yr mark. Most doctors that do lasik consultations will also tell patients about the gradual decline in visual acuities. I've seen patients that have come in for glasses/contacts after only 5 years post-lasik. Some don't come back for 15 years. So yes, like you said its all relative - but in the end there will be changes after several years time because lasik is not a permanent solution (as of yet.)

And thank you beckii - I try to help when i can hahaha

Archived