Lasik Eye Surgery

Guest loveamii

Guest YamaSushi7

My dad got it done a couple weeks ago.

He wasn't allowed to open his eyes 24 hours after the surgery.

And he was wearing these glasses/goggles(?) during that time.

Both my mom and dad got it and they want me to get it too once I'm old enough.

I think it'll be worth it (: I'm excited now, haha.

I agree that the eyesight worsening does not apply to everyone - but based on rough statistics taken on Lasik patients, the majority of them have noted a slight - moderate change in their vision after the 10 yr mark. Most doctors that do lasik consultations will also tell patients about the gradual decline in visual acuities. I've seen patients that have come in for glasses/contacts after only 5 years post-lasik. Some don't come back for 15 years. So yes, like you said its all relative - but in the end there will be changes after several years time because lasik is not a permanent solution (as of yet.)

And thank you beckii - I try to help when i can hahaha

i take it you're actually an optometrist or sth?=]

i think most ppl dont really take into consideration the problems that can happen with LASIK.

It seems really good but the risks are very scary >O<

My glasses right now are, like, -6. My left eye being weaker than the right.

When I first heard about eye surgery I wanted to get it straight away but I was too young (& stupid)

Now I'm reconsidering.

Guest aaandy

Yeah, there are risks and yes you can see the very next day. Your vision will be blurred the first day because your eyes are swollen from the the suction cup. The process is completely blade free these days. There is no pain during the operation but slight discomfort.

Guest hunnybunny

i take it you're actually an optometrist or sth?=]

i think most ppl dont really take into consideration the problems that can happen with LASIK.

I will be in a couple of years if everything goes as planned hahaha. And I agree with you - there are so many risks/downfalls with Lasik/PRK/RK, etc. But at least there are some people out there that do their research. In as little as 10 - 15 years, the lasik technology will be so much further ahead than it is now; just ~ 7 years ago or so, doctors were still doing surgery w/ blades. If anything, I would say to wait it out for a few more years and see what the new methods/technology are.

Guest helloPanda!

my dad is somewhat forcing me to do this in a couple of years. i'm really not looking forward to it. >__> i'd rather wear glasses but eh. whatever.

Guest ~Shelly~

I definantly want mine done in the future. Seriously my eyesight is SOOOOO bad right now... like -7 in my left eye and -7.5 in my right. =___=

My optician said my eyesight should start to stable now but meh... we'll see. I hope I qualify to get lasik done when I'm older.

My cousins recently had their's done. They said during the surgery itself there was 0 pain but after they got out of it and the anaestetic (can't spell it!) wore off they were in so much pain and discomfort they cried. Lol. But now 1 of them has 20/20 vision whilst the other has 20/10 vision.

I wish so badly to be able to go just 1 day without glasses or contacts, even if my vision is not perfect, an improvement would be all I want... I think the surgery would be totally worth it. I know that years down the line, I may have complications but seriously, my eyesight now is so bad that anything more just doesn't faze me, if I could at least have a few years of being able to see clearly.

I actually have money set aside for this surgery already. It's 1 of the many things I wish to do. The video didn't even scare me away and I'm usually really squirmish... ^_^

Also, your vision begins to worsen again after 8 - 10 yrs, requiring you to get glasses/contacts again.

Maybe because it's around the 20's when people's refractive errors starts to stabilise and then they have surgery and around 10 years later they develop presbyopia? Random guess. lol.

I will be in a couple of years if everything goes as planned hahaha. And I agree with you - there are so many risks/downfalls with Lasik/PRK/RK, etc. But at least there are some people out there that do their research. In as little as 10 - 15 years, the lasik technology will be so much further ahead than it is now; just ~ 7 years ago or so, doctors were still doing surgery w/ blades. If anything, I would say to wait it out for a few more years and see what the new methods/technology are.

rofl looks like you're in the same position as me then, haha...how long is your course?

yeah from what iv learnt the risks nd complicatiosn r way to much...iud rather stick to contacts nd glasses for now, wait for technology to smoth itself out...

and yes ryu, you're right. rofl

Guest fanatic520

we there are always setbacks to it. my friend got hers done, and she has better than 20/20 vision now, but see momentary flashes sometimes. but then again, not having to wear glasses again, not such a bad thing.

Guest hunnybunny

Maybe because it's around the 20's when people's refractive errors starts to stabilise and then they have surgery and around 10 years later they develop presbyopia? Random guess. lol.

Presbyopia starts (on average) around the age of 40, so I don't believe that's the exact reason why - just in general patients notice a decline in their vision after 10 years, regardless of what age they were when they got lasik.

And beckii - optometry school for me is 4 years long, just gotta push a little more to be done! hahaha

Guest jiwoneex3

that clip just freaked me out. but it was really fascinating to watch at the same time.

maybe i'm planning to get it in the near future

cus i know my eyesight is getting worse year by year.

and it'd be really nice to not wear my glasses for once. because unfortunately without them, i can't really see a thing.

man, i remember when i was young and had perfect eye vision. i could see everything....

it just sucks.

those of you who have perfect or good vision should be really thankful.

not having to waste hundreds of dollars every few years to get a new pair of glasses or contacts or surgeries. -___-;

Guest smiile

of the people i know who got it done (6) nothing went wrong.

some said it hurts, some said it didnt,

just get it done :)

Presbyopia starts (on average) around the age of 40, so I don't believe that's the exact reason why - just in general patients notice a decline in their vision after 10 years, regardless of what age they were when they got lasik.

And beckii - optometry school for me is 4 years long, just gotta push a little more to be done! hahaha

hmm i think as i said before a lil regression occurs with the eye...not sure what other factors are involved.

my aunt got hers done a few years ago and up till now shes loving it, no regrets at all. i asked her about it, cos my dad asked me to go for lasik. my friends mum did lasik too and she love it so shes convincing my friend to get lasik once she turn 20.

i saw the surgery process on tv once and i got freaked out pretty badly cos the idea of seeing knife or whatever is just freakingly scary. but i think it'll be my first choice of eye correction process/surgery cause i'm pretty sick of wearing contacts

• 6 years later...

Archived