Do you think Korean dramas have screwed up women's views on dating and marriage?

Guest Velstadt

Guest Velstadt

I really think a lot of women out there (not all) who are engrossed in these Korean dramas start to develop these unrealistic expectations of dating and marriage. Many of them, even if they look ordinary or below average, truly believe they can land a handsome gentlemanly stud and ride off into some happy dreamy land, lol.
I'll give you one example. I know one Vietnamese girl (and not particularly attractive) who is really into K-dramas, K-pop, K-culture, etc. and she really thinks she only deserves a good-looking and cool Korean guy. Of course me and my friend's roll our eyes and laugh behind her back because she is clearly delusional. Her addiction to K-dramas has made her brain go haywire in terms of how she views men and dating.

Honestly, though, being with someone in an intimate way is challenging (even if both really like each other and are very compatible). I think Korean dramas have screwed up many women's (and some men) views on what it means to be seriously involved with someone. 

MOD NOTE: Two posts in this thread deleted for bashing. Please stay on topic or thread will be closed.

I don't watch K-dramas obsessively like most of my friends and I'm the one with fantasies of being with a hot guy. I don't expect it to come true though. I also have a Vietnamese friend who loves romantic Asian dramas such as K-dramas but she's not delusional. In fact most of my friends who are likely to watch K-dramas have ordinary/plain looking boyfriends. As I grow up, I've discovered that most people aren't hotties that are presented in media.

Only delusional people are tricked by media like K-dramas into thinking that their prince charming or their delicate princess will arrive one day.

Guest motherducker

k-dramas? more like anime's got me trippin' my views on romance. 
I'm still hoping to find a magic well that sends me back thousands of years where I meet a half demon/half human pinned to a tree but is still alive, and coincidentally has a thing for past life me and then I accidentally break this magic jewel thing that grants wishes, but opps, at least we'll get to go on an epic journey together to piece it back together and along the way we fall in love and get married. 

Guest I_play_with_dolls

suju_lovee said: k-dramas? more like anime's got me trippin' my views on romance. 
I'm still hoping to find a magic well that sends me back thousands of years where I meet a half demon/half human pinned to a tree but is still alive, and coincidentally has a thing for past life me and then I accidentally break this magic jewel thing that grants wishes, but opps, at least we'll get to go on an epic journey together to piece it back together and along the way we fall in love and get married. 

Guest Yelrihs36

Velstadt said: I really think a lot of women out there (not all) who are engrossed in these Korean dramas start to develop these unrealistic expectations of dating and marriage. 

I think their might be a few crazy women that have an unrealistic view of dating, marriage, and relationships due to watching too many Korean Dramas. I have a friend that used too be a little like this and only a little. She got mad when I told her that it was too much to expect a hug to arrange a huge date with candles everywhere, flowers, and eating dinner by the sea. Supposedly she expected a guy to all this just to ask her if she would date him.

this is an extreme example my friend has more normal standards now though. I have other friends that all they do is watch dramas and they have a more realistic view. I'd say it's very few women that have unrealistic expectations on relationships because of Korean dramas. Some people are just like that and other women and men dont realize that as they age they will get less attention from people interested in dating them.

Guest tisa-chan

suju_lovee said: k-dramas? more like anime's got me trippin' my views on romance. 

This is generalizing too much. Surely, not all women. I think this only applies to the really gullible types i.e. those who are seeking a idealistic type love (maybe even a housewife - unhappiness in marriage) Otherwise, I don't think a drama will do  much to sway their preference.

• 1 month later...

Well, you said it right there. I don't think Korean dramas have developed unrealistic expectations of dating and marriage, I'm certain they have developed unrealistic expectations of Korean men in particular!
People don't watch Korean dramas and expect their love lives to be like that from thereon, but I know of many girls on twitter, tumblr, and in real life that have this view of Korean men, that they're all good looking and they all buy their girlfriend expensive gifts and their all this and that; only good things.
Maybe some Korean men are like this but from my knowledge, it's rare and it's certainly a huge misconception from K-entertainment fangirls that  Korean men are the ultimate boyfriends because men are men. It doesn't matter what race they are or what culture they come from, they're all individuals, they have their own minds, their own experiences and their own reasons for doing things. These girls will find out the truth the hard way someday, others will probably grow up only experiencing Korean culture through dramas and therefore will forever be ignorant. :)>-

Archived