Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soompi Forums is moving!! Migration is scheduled to begin next Tuesday (US) [more details]

How Do You Clean A Retainer?

QUlRKofFATEQUlRKofFATE USAPosts: 1,128Friend of Soompi
i have hard white stuff stuck on my retainer and it doesn't come off when i brush it...how do i clean it? has this happened to anyone else? i think i remember hearing that i should soak it in denture cleaner but im not positive
·

Replies

• yamaki_LOVEyamaki_LOVE Posts: 3,593Member

TRAINEE

hehe im not sure but my older sister and my aunt they used that dissolving thing [ lol forgot whats its called] and basically it image
    ALWAYS on facebook& myspace(:
    git at it if yaLIKE
    ·
  • butterflyeffectbutterflyeffect ... Los AngelesPosts: 11,910Friend of Soompi
    ^ I thought that IS denture cleaner? or am I wrong? image

I soak my retainers in hot water.

·
  • o6.91o6.91 없어 StlPosts: 1,041Member
    You're suppose to use cold water and brush it with toothpaste.
    ·
  • klx13klx13 CA, USAPosts: 1,952Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

QUOTE(yamaki_LOVE @ Jun 28 2007, 09:42 PM) »
    hehe im not sure but my older sister and my aunt they used that dissolving thing [ lol forgot whats its called] and basically it image

Alka Seltzer.
    ·
  • yamaki_LOVEyamaki_LOVE Posts: 3,593Member

TRAINEE

haha there you go image hehe
    ALWAYS on facebook& myspace(:
    git at it if yaLIKE
    ·
  • happypianohappypiano Posts: 715Friend of Soompi
    yep yep.. clean it with denture cleaner once in a while, and brush it under running water immediately after taking it out of your mouth, because if you wait, the retainers will cool and it'll be harder for you to brush off the bacteria... plus, it'll smell bad. =/
    ·
  • L3M0NSL3M0NS CaliforniaPosts: 86Member
    I use cold water and some toothpaste. image Works fine for me.
    ·
  • StacyStacy 韩庚 ♥ Bay Area, CAPosts: 9,239Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Mine are hella white. I can't take it off. I'm going to tell my aunt to clean it for me. LMAO!
    sp0il3dbr8tbanpt0.jpgheytherev.jpg
    Banner credit to hiSHUA! & hey there~, respectively.

·
  • hesaid143hesaid143 San Jose, CAPosts: 2,327Member
    maybe I haven't used it for that long to get white stuff ... but definitely try the Alka Seltzer and brushing it

and
    happypiano: I'm pretty sure you should clean it with denture cleaner (Alka Seltzer you're talking about right?) everyday, not once in a while O_O
    materialistic? -- almost.
    ·
  • lovejyklovejyk Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ParisPosts: 4,582Member
    If you go to drugstores, you'll be able to find those denture cleaners =)
    They come with their own little case that you can soak the retainer in overnight image
    ·
  • x SaRaNg HaE xx SaRaNg HaE x I adore you. ? 626, CAPosts: 6,699Friend of Soompi
    I brush it with toothpaste.
    xdgz6t.jpg35bb9u1.jpg
    credit © j00n
    Love-Love Cafe , Status ; YouTube , tumblr , Facebook
    13,941 posts.
    ·
  • babyblueangelbabyblueangel USAPosts: 305Member

IDOL

edited June 2007
    to remove the white stuff off the retainers just soak em in distilled white vinegar (you probably have it at home). for how long? (few hrs or less?) it really depends on how old the white stuff are and how wide spread it is. then after u soak em just brush ur retainer with teethpaste. it works everytime!
    ·
  • MoiraEllaMoiraElla Posts: 1,812Member
    QUOTE(__Nae @ Jun 28 2007, 08:59 PM) »
    You're suppose to use cold water and brush it with toothpaste.

·
  • auroralbutterflyauroralbutterfly 408 CAPosts: 1,932Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

I use warm-hot water to rinse and rub my retainers. It gets clean, but I think it's better to use those dissolving tablet things to soak your retainers.. I just don't want to spent money xD

·
  • polobluepoloblue Australia (South Australia)Posts: 716Member
    QUOTE(babyblueangel @ Jun 29 2007, 05:28 PM) »
    to remove the white stuff off the retainers just soak em in distilled white vinegar (you probably have it at home). for how long? (few hrs or less?) it really depends on how old the white stuff are and how wide spread it is. then after u soak em just brush ur retainer with teethpaste. it works everytime!

yes this is the best way to do it!!!
    after soaking in vinegar then brushing the retainers, they are so clean and look brand new
    ·
  • TammyTammy CanadaPosts: 536Member
    You can also buy Polident Retainer Cleaners.
    You put your retainer in a glass of cold water and put a tablet in.
    Wait like 10ish minutes as it dissolves and it will clean your retainer pretty well =]
    And you should brush it with cold water & toothpaste alot as well.
    ·
  • Kirei_BoAKirei_BoA New York :)Posts: 803Member

IDOL

i just brushed mine with a tootbrush with toothpaste.

·
  • lingazlingaz melbourne , australiaPosts: 1,368Member
    that white stuff is plaque or something !! its really hard to get off . but to just clean your retainer just use a toothbrushhhh and cold water

♡tokidoki♡monchichi♡chloe♡stila
    ·
  • suki_*suki_* zBanned Posts: 6,752Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited June 2007
    QUOTE(ai paper x star @ Jun 29 2007, 02:07 AM) »
    I use warm-hot water to rinse and rub my retainers. It gets clean, but I think it's better to use those dissolving tablet things to soak your retainers.. I just don't want to spent money xD

never ever use hot water to wash retainers, it's made outta plastic, so it can make it soft and make slight changes in it.

that is just calcium.

Put it in solution that ppl use to clean their dentures (Polident), you can find it at the local drug store image
    ·
  • happimichhappimich ...Posts: 876Member

ROOKIE

QUOTE(poloblue @ Jun 29 2007, 06:06 AM) »
    yes this is the best way to do it!!!
    after soaking in vinegar then brushing the retainers, they are so clean and look brand new

doesnt it smell/ taste link vinegar afterwards????
    ·