Korean Skin Care Secret?

Guest etoilee

Guest pink1e

^ i heard they drink bottled mineral water in Korea.. And the water is somehow better? iono

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peachgaru

Yea, that's what I meant...as in they have to drink bottled water bc the tap water is unsafe to drink.

C'mon people, I really wanna keep this thread going bc if there is some secret...I wanna know! haha

Guest KamsaHamnida

I don't think Koreans in Korea have some sort of special thing that gives them better skin. I see lots of high school kids with bad skin. And I see some with flawless skin. Just like in America.

Guest nanshi

I think that it just has to do with growing up and their lifestyle...! And genetics?

I'm Chinese, and for a Chinese person, I supposedly had good skin. I kinda ruined it by using some nasty cleansers and stuff (too much chemicals = BAAD) but I got really good genes from my mother who has pretty good skin for a woman her age.

But from what I've observed, most Koreans have a really strict facial cleansing regimen. They uses a TON of stuff on their faces. Plus, the products that they buy in Korea are formulated and such for Asian skin. Generally, if you buy cleansers overseas (or Asian cleansers, ie: Shiseido) you'll realize that they're more 'effective' on you skin.

I think it's just a habit. I mean, most girls -- generally non-Koreans -- don't start paying attention to their skin until they hit puberty. But most Korean girls that I know have had skin regimens since they were young, well before their teenage years. Preventetive is usually more successful than reactive remedies, right?

But I've seen Koreans with bad skin as well... so don't think that it's just an inherent trait in all of them...

• 3 years later...
Guest purpleeyeshadow

Lately, I have been looking into Korean makeup so when my mom went to Fairfax to do shopping for Korean foods ... she picked up a few samples of different brands for me to try out. One brand called "History of Whoo" is unfamiliar so I was wondering if anyone tried or using this line. Their packaging and concept looks so elegant and sophisticated compared to other brands.

On Beauty Guide it said, "These cosmetics of a class lux are created on the basis of confidential old Chinese recipes of beauty, which members of imperial family used. Masters of Korean cosmetic brand The History of Whoo have found this recipe and, having restored it by means of modern high technologies, have represented a line of exclusive cosmetics."

eng06_img01.gif

The History of Whoo Online Store

The History of Whoo CF

I've used shiseido since I was 16, it's good for everyday and you won't have problem with it, but the thing is like the other girl was saying, it doesn't make your skin glow!

Up till last year I started trying these upper level brands(I turned 25 last year and realized it's time to spend more money taking care my own skin before it's too late), so I tried the O HUI and THE HISTORY OF WHOO, both brands made my skin extremely soft and hydrated. 

I like The history of whoo for it's all natural ingredients, they advertised as  "the secret recipe"  ingredients that were using in the royal family from ancient chinese, like ginseng, snow lotus;  a lots of their products have ginseng extracts which smell a little funky, but its good stuff! I use their whitening line, it made my skin feels very silky and glowing. I love the brand so much, even tried their makeups . I recommend their whitening line for people who wants to look good even without makeups on, it brighten your skin and makes it more even-toned. 

For the O HUI, I use the O HUI Skin Science for my everyday routine since its recommended for 20something girls! They advertised as the young 20something girls should start using light anti-aging stuff, keep their skin moisturized and maintain the level of young looking skin just like their 20s. I noticed the different on my skin literally the second day, I don't even know how to described it, but it made my skin so soft and just glowing, more radiance!!!

I bought both products from a online company, called usacosmetics.com, they have a pretty good selection, especially their gift sets!

My conclusion is that now that I tried Korean skin care, I don't think I will go back to Japanese lines anymore. I'm very happy with both brands and it really made a huge different on my skin, my skin definitely looks healthier and more radiance. Surprisingly, I got a lot compliments on how nice my skin looks, even when I go to grocery store, lo! I know it's pricy, but it's really worth it otherwise I won't spend so much time writing all these stuff.

The site I recommended is USAcosmetics.com and the two products I've tried are

The history of whoo whitening 3 pcs set : whitening 3 pcs set

O HUI skin science set: Skin Science 3 PCS set

they also have a lot more different sets for everyone's need, highly recommended!

http://www.usacosmet...8c8f55086a2f297

I read that cabbages & lettuce are great for preventing acne and for your skin (on some English website)

and then I realized Koreans eat crapload of cabbages (in Kimchi form) that might be a reason....

Guest bohyunnie

genetics (mostly)

when i got my first pimple, my mom freaked out

she brought me to our family doctor/dermatologist asap and had her subscribe acne medicine for me

after that she brought me to either laneige or amore pacific and bought me skincare products

cleanser, toner, essence, and lotion and herbal soap

plus she had me doing facials at least once a week

^that was when i was in 6th grade. good thing is i rarely get troubles on my skin

now that i think about it, all that was unnecessary because no one in my family EVER had acne other than my two paternal cousins... my mom was just overreacting then XD

Guest lovesong3208

I think Korean girls (myself included) just go through the "routine"

we've learned everyday. you know... the scrub,wash,toner, moisturizer

stuff. When I turned like 14ish my mom was like "you have to take care

of your skin now. I'll teach you". And it just feels icky and weird

when I DON'T.

Koreans in Korea drink a crap load of water and they don't EAT... and

I think generally Korean food is less saltier and stuff. well...maybe lol

Guest laughing_alone

i think its the climate. i live in canada atm and i just went back to china recentlyy, my skin got a lot better and when i mean a lot i mean A LOT. and um.....now its all crappy again ><

omg i'm not the >_> in which case, isn't your skin suppose to be better? T_T ugh. do not like the breakout. my skin was so nice in china/japan ;-;

after reading the comments here, i have to disagree with some statements. Being Korean and have lived in Korea but also America, us koreans do put alot of effort in taking care of our skin, but we kinda have to. Like Korea has alot of moisture which can help with our skin but theres soo much pollution there (especially in the cities) so we have to take care of our skin or else our skin will be a mess. Seriously, like i have pretty decent skin and didnt take much care of it in America, but when i go to korea, my skin always gets worse.

Majority of koreans use masks and try to go for the organic/homemade stuff.

Food has something todo with it, but korean food isnt always healthy either, there are tons of sugary/fried food everywhere on the streets that people eat daily :]

Oh and BB creams help cover up so imperfections..however alot of it is genetics too cause all my friends that are korean have pretty decent skin

Guest missy_me

A thread like this pops up every few months it seems... I really can't say I'm impressed by the skin of Koreans any more than I am impressed by the skin Americans, Japanese, etc. I have noticed that Koreans and Japanese generally wear much more makeup than my American friends. Where I lived in the US girls thought liner+mascara was "full makeup". And for the record, I have seen some horrendous skin in Asia. About the same as in the US.

I see more differences in skin in terms of class than nationality. Visiting to a lower income area in America meant seeing people with terrible skin due to bad diet or no money to visit a doctor for Accutaine, etc. Higher income families were generally more able to eat healthy and throw down money on expensive procedures. Of course we have lucky people who have naturally nice skin, but they're not the majority.

Guest yellow submarine

omg i'm not the >_> in which case, isn't your skin suppose to be better? T_T ugh. do not like the breakout. my skin was so nice in china/japan ;-;

the air might be less polluted in Canada but it is dry. my optometrist told me it wasn't a good idea to wear contact lenses because the air in Toronto would dry them out faster. humidity helps the skin stay moist and supple. this makes me want to live in a more humid place.

I'm sure there isn't a "secret", but then again, I'm sure everyone knows Asians are OBSESSED with skin care, and Koreans are infamous. We all know the ahjummas who have like 7 step skin care routines.

I think it's just, like many girls have personally spoken about in this thread, - skin care, and a solid routine since they were young. I know Koreans have like 482148293 serums and essences and emulsion and all this stuff I don't know too much about, with multiple masks and double cleansing and millions of toners. Argh it's all a headache. I always thought way too many products would be overkill for the skin, but I guess these are all bought in product sets (ex. Laniege, Missha, The Face Shop, etc). And I think we all know skin care is not the only thing that gives a great complexion. I always though Korea's general diet of spicy food would be bad for the skin, but...from what most people are saying...apparently not? I'm thinking maybe the whole lifestyle thing w/ the saunas and all may help?

And as a guy, I'm actually more curious as to what males (more specifically the male celebrities) use. I'm sure it's not far too different, but I know they're not using 24094224 products like the women are. And I know there's always make up or BB cream, but I'm just dead curious.

And just my add to the weather factor - I've never been to Korea, but I've gone to Taiwan many many times (the weather's pretty much the same), and...my skin actually gets worse when I go to Asia. I think it's because of the heat when I always used to go during the summer. Kills me. So Cal is terrible during the summer too, but it's not HUMID like Taiwan is.

Guest IckyVicky<3dongbang

Its no secret if you come to korea. Its just make up and skin care. In korea theres skin care/ beauty stores EVERYWHERE!! not one but like 10 on one street side and then like 9 on the other!!! it's crazy! i mean not all have perfect skin, and i can tell many wear bb cream, but they have so many stores that offer them these goods, so thats why. They also hide from the sun, which prob helps a LOT but its BORING! who wants to be super white when its summer?! :)

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Am I the only one that doesnt buy into the 'Koreans are all pretty and have nice skin' thing????

Sure, the celebrities all look good.

But judging from the Korean tourists I see everytime I go into the city most of them are normal looking Asians with tanish skin, coarse black hair and monolids. They most certainly don't all have glowing white clear skin.

There is no 'Korean' gene that means Koreans have good skin. Actually, human skin doesnt have much genetic diference (apart from colour). When you see a company say that their skincare product is 'formulated for Asian skin' that is just a marketing claim. No real basis...

PS.

The ten step facial routine thing is ludicrous. I highly doubt most people have time for all that.

Guest SeeFood

Am I the only one that doesnt buy into the 'Koreans are all pretty and have nice skin' thing????

Sure, the celebrities all look good.

But judging from the Korean tourists I see everytime I go into the city most of them are normal looking Asians with tanish skin, coarse black hair and monolids. They most certainly don't all have glowing white clear skin.

There is no 'Korean' gene that means Koreans have good skin. Actually, human skin doesnt have much genetic diference (apart from colour). When you see a company say that their skincare product is 'formulated for Asian skin' that is just a marketing claim. No real basis...

PS.

The ten step facial routine thing is ludicrous. I highly doubt most people have time for all that.

SO YES.

Korea is on a cultural high right now - def riding on the top of Asia in terms of celebs, pop music, dramas at the moment so people seem to be getting a weird perception that ALL Koreans are as pretty as the K-celebs they see on TV. It's just simply not the case...not only are their pimple-y people in Korea, there are a lot fat ones, tall ones, tan ones...Koreans are are just people like everything else. There are some pretty ones, some hideous ones and mostly average ones.

Being Korean I'd def agree Korean women do tend to care for their skin more - I never miss a day of sunscreen rain or shine and my mom must have 9-10 products she uses regularly. And yes, 10-step facial routines are possible, it's really not that hard. Care does not equal good genes.

Another thing I disagree on is 'formulated for Asian skin.' Or maybe it's not that Asian skincare is formulated FOR asians, it's more that I think the Asian philosophy and thus approach to skincare is simply better (for not just Asians, but everyone). It's gentler and focuses on making the skin healthier by improving skin tone and avoiding the sun. And btw, people seem to think "whitening" products are made to give people a white colored skin tone. That's not so at all - whitening products, especially Korean ones, are designed to EVEN skin tone, not necessarily make you lighter color (though no doubt Koreans like paler skin). Whitening products are meant to even skin tone by lightening sunspots, freckles, acne scares and general blotchiness. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Guest itszmaeee

Either your korean-washed or you've been watching too much kdramas, but NOT ALL koreans have good skin. There are certain people from different races, be it asians or americans or whoever, that have ALMOST perfect skin. It could be genetics hormones or just simply not doing anything to their faces and stay natural. If you've seen actors actresses idols etc. upclose on pictures, they certainly do not have perfect skin due from too much make up and chemicals that are being patted on their faces everyday.

Guest bitterkarma

ok i'm not going to lie and say i have wonderful skin (i'm korean btw)

but my skin is getting a lot smoother after exercising daily and eating well. :)

I wash my face with philosophy cleanser and shiseido white lucent brightening foam in the morning and at night

and then i moisturize with aveda acne lotion and finish off with murad acne treatment concealer

it seems like a lot.. but it helps :)

i think good skin is partly genetics (not only for koreans though) and partly good skin care

genetics help with the basics, but i mean you need to take care of your face if you expect it to look good

there really is no secret in my opinion. and if there is, by all means.. publish it in a book or something.

Archived