Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

it seems the coabm filming be only be finished at september in his latest interviewhere is the link   :http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/293353   (source from ladykate twitter)
thats why i am in doubt how hjw goin to do 2 movie shooting at same time??because frm ji hyun thread it seem some of the movie shooting took place in shanghai... :-B :-B

@drbigapple ohhh... that is interesting...even if the CoaBM filming ends in september...the editing part would still come.. wonder how he will schedule his time with assassin filming...But are the cast of assassination finally confirmed?I think here are the supporting cast for this movie2014071408543557639_1.jpg?time=145513
news article Star MT News | July 14 2014additional source NEWSEN

well from wat i read in ji hyun thread..the fans definitely said she filming with ha jung woo...and the update also i got from jjh thread..which they translated from ha jung woo weibo fanpage (hahhaha i cant confirm much as i cant read mandarin):-B :-B
anyway...glad to know ha jung woo is busy with good projects :)>- :)>-kinda sad that roaring currents movie is the one achieving 10million viewers first....anyway Kundo fighting;);)

hahaha... true.... he is busy...glad to read/hear that he is somewhat in the news regarding that movie. Cause I do think he and jeon ji hyun were amazing in berlin file....!and i was really excited for this project!!!Thanks so much for the info!!!

I super love to hear that he has another project for the box officeHe is one of the korean actors who always bring one or two movies in the box office...

Dolmuchi vs JooYoonBtrejuDCAAA75ZB.jpg:large
credit Cine21

anyway I just remembered if Assassination is a go then HJW is really quite busy filming.... he will be finishing up CoaBM, start filming assassination and then after that the biopic for Andre Kim... I am quite excited ti see him as andre kim knowing how eccentric that fashion guru was... he really is one of the busiest filmmaker in the industry from acting, filming, writing, painting and etc....so happy for more projects for HJW!!!

[FilmBizAsia Review]

Kundo: Age of the Rampant군도 민란의 시대 | 群盜

South Korea
Costume action drama
2014, colour, 2.35:1, 137 mins

Directed by Yoon Jong-bin (윤종빈 | 尹鐘彬)

BAhbB1sHOgZmSSImMjAxNC8wOC8wNy8xOS8wOC8w

Richly-cast costume action drama finally delivers after an uncertain warm-up. Asian and genre events.

Story

Naju, South Cheolla province, southwest Korea, 1862. There is famine and plague, the poor are exploited by corrupt officials and nobles, and peasant revolts are common. Act 1: The Chuseol Clan of Mt. Jiri (지리산 추설). During the 60th birthday banquet for a corrupt governor - at which Seo-in (David Lee) deputises for his ill father, Naju noble Jo Won-suk (Song Yeong-chang) - the proceedings are interrupted by a passing funeral cortege of peasants. In fact, they are members of the Chuseol Clan, a band which robs the rich to pay the poor and has a secret hideaway in Mt. Jiri. During the fighting, Seo-in is killed. The Chuseol Clan, led by Dae-ho (Lee Seong-min) and five others, arrest the governor and execute him for crimes against the people.Act 2: March of the Dead (죽음의 행렬). Hearing of the event, Won-suk's illegitimate son Jo Yun (Gang Dong-won) returns home for the first time in 10 years to establish his inheritance now his half-brother Seo-in is dead. Won-suk's son by a courtesan (Park Go-eun), Jo Yun had been brought into the family at the age of eight after Won-suk's wife, Lady Jo (Park Myeong-shin), had failed to produce a son. When she had finally given birth to Seo-in three years later, Jo Yun had tried to kill the baby and had been severely punished by his father; he had subsequently left the family and trained to become a master swordsman. Now, to secure his inheritance, Jo Yun hires the family's butcher, Dolmuchi (Ha Jung-woo), to kill Seo-in's pregnant widow, Jeong-shim (Kim Kkot-bi), who is hiding in a mountain monastery, in case she gives birth to a boy. Dolmuchi fails, after being scared off by a Buddhist monk (Lee Gyeong-yeong), who is actually a senior member of the Chuseol Clan. Dolmuchi loses his elder sister Gok-ji (Han Ye-ri), mother (Kim Hae-suk) and house in a fire started by Jo Yun's men, and vows vengeance on Jo Yun. After being captured and taken to be executed, he's saved by the monk and other clan members, and later taken to the secret mountain hideaway. Act 3: A New World (신세계). Dolmuchi is inducted into the Chuseol Clan and renamed Dochi (도치|倒置, "Upside Down"). Two years later he has become a fighter with a fearsome reputation. One year later, by ruthless exploitation of the peasantry and connivance of corrupt officials, Jo Yun now owns half of all Naju land.Act 4: Save the People (백성을 구하라). The Chuseol Clan votes to bring down Jo Yun and the corrupt officials, and launches an elaborate plan of deception. However, Jo Yun survives, kills Dae-ho, and tortures the monk to reveal the location of the clan's hideaway. Act 5: United You Are People, Divided You Are Thieves (뭉치면 백성 흩어지면 도적). Jo Yun leads a bloody attack on the clan's mountain hideaway, and it is finally left to Dochi to deliver justice.

Review

After his period Busan crime saga Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time 범죄와의 전쟁 : 나쁜놈들 전성시대 (2012), director YOON Jong-bin 윤종빈 | 尹鐘彬 turns the clock back a hundred-or-so years for a not so dissimilar tale of brawling, beating and cussing set during the late Joseon dynasty. Headlined by terrific performances from actors HA Jung-woo 하정우 | 河正佑 (who's been in all four of Yoon's films to date) and GANG Dong-won 강동원 | 姜棟元 (in a creepy representation of all-powerful evil), it's a black-and-white story of a Robin Hood-like clan fighting for social justice against corrupt nobles and officialdom. A tad over-stretched at 137 minutes, and portentously divided into five acts that don't serve much purpose, Kundo: Age of the Rampant 군도 민란의 시대 | 群盜 takes a while to build a head of dramatic steam but does finally deliver from the 75-minute mark as the protagonists face off in the inevitable showdown.

In this respect it's more successful than Gangster, which, despite having a complex, interlocking plot and star cast, never developed much character drama to match its epic ambitions. The first of Yoon's films that he didn't write himself, Kundo has a similarly heavyweight cast but deploys it to much better dramatic effect, as well having more spectacular outdoor settings and (by South Korean standards) some well-staged swordplay sequences. The script by JEON Cheol-hong 전철홍 — who coincidentally wrote the other major hit of the summer so far, costume naval drama Roaring Currents 명량:회오리 바다, plus boxing drama Crying Fist 주먹이 운다 (2005) and recent police thriller The Target 표적 — is a richly plotted tale of personal revenge and family ambition that wears its social credentials on its sleeve, with much talk of justice for the people. (In fact, with its breathy female narrator guiding the audience along, it almost has the feel sometimes of a North rather than South Korean costume drama in its political slant.)

The problem, at least in the first hour, is that Yoon seems unclear what approach to take to the script. The main title seems to promise some kind of Korean Eastern, aMagnificent Six, while JO Yeong-uk 조영욱's music references Spaghetti Westerns (including a direct quote from Riz Ortolani's score to the 1967 Day of Anger [i giorni dell'ira]), and there's as much comic shtick in the first half, to showcase the name cast, as there is serious drama. With the screenplay and direction pulling in opposite directions, it's not until the 75-minute mark that both row together, with Gang allowed to unleash the pure evil of his character and Ha to go head-to-head with him as an avenging everyman. At the same time, the swordplay action — which till then had relied as much on visual effects as choreography — also comes into its own, with some gripping set-dos.

Gang's performance as the bastard son who has his eye on taking over his father's family recalls any number of evil eunuch police chiefs in Chinese swordplay movies set in the Ming dynasty. It's a powerful return to the screen by the 33-year-old actor, following his mandatory military service, and fully exploits his androgynous, lynx-eyed looks in a way that previous roles (Secret Reunion 의형제 (2010)Haunters 초능력자(2010)) have only played with. As a simple butcher looking to avenge his family, the versatile Ha (The Chaser 추격자 (2008)The Yellow Sea 황해 | 黃海 (2010)The Terror Live 더 테러 라이브) manages to play off against Gang's steely performance in a down-to-earth way that's mildly comic without puncturing the real drama.

It's a measure of the two leads' performances that they're not swamped by the strong supporting cast, which includes seasoned male heavyweights like LEE Gyeong-yeong이경영 | 李璟榮 as a Buddhist priest and Don LEE 마동석 | 馬東錫 (aka Ma Dong-seok) as a salt-of-the earth bandit. In the only substantial female roles, YUN Ji-hye 윤지혜 | 尹智慧 (No Mercy for the Rude 예의없는 것들 (2006)) as the clan's archer and HAN Ye-ri 한예리 | 韓藝里 (As One 코리아 (2012)Dear Dolphin 환상속의 그대) as the butcher's elder sister both register in non-decorative ways. Fine indie actress KIM Kkot-bi 김꽃비 | 金花雨 (Breathless 똥파리 (2008)Sunshine Boys 1999,면회(2012)) is unfortunately thrown away in an unrecognisable cameo as a pregnant woman.

With its training and fighting sequences set in a bamboo forest, and the staging and cutting of the swordplay sequences, the film-makers do seem to have studied the Chinese classics to good effect, though other action is more familiar Korean contact stuff. The widescreen photography by CHOI Chan-min 최찬민 (71 - Into the Fire 포화 속으로 (2010)) makes the most of the landscape and sets, and, when he's not aping Ennio Morricone, experienced composer Jo keeps things moving with his cantering score.

After the iffy English title Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time, Yoon has come up here with one that sounds even weirder and doesn't even make grammatical sense. (Age of the rampant what?) The Korean one literally means Band of Robbers: The Age of Insurrection.

By Derek Elley | Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:45 PM (HKT)
Film business Asia

czakhareina said:
anyway I just remembered if Assassination is a go then HJW is really quite busy filming.... he will be finishing up CoaBM, start filming assassination and then after that the biopic for Andre Kim... I am quite excited ti see him as andre kim knowing how eccentric that fashion guru was... he really is one of the busiest filmmaker in the industry from acting, filming, writing, painting and etc....so happy for more projects for HJW!!!

applestorm

said:

czakhareina

said:

czakhareina said:and he had to promote for Kundo this year. hahaha he really has such a very busy sched !!!That is why my wish for him to come back to drama land would most likely not happen.He is just soooo busy with films... but i guess it all works out for him due to efficient  scheduling...and he mentioned before that when he feels stressed from all the hectic film schedule, he goes and paints. That is like his stress reliever...I love killer/action movies. and his Berlin File with Jeon Ji Hyun is one amazing movie... His chaser movie was really scary, I shudder everytime i think about the role he is portraying in that movie...