Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest userid

I wanna add that IBM, Lenono now, makes some of the best laptop. I'd rather pay more for a rugged buid laptop that would last for a while than for it to break down after a year or so of usage.

^ The E17xx might be too big for you.. it's a 17" desktop replacement.. meaning it's the heaviest model Dell has, the biggest, and most likely, the weakest battery life. It'll matter depending on how mobile you are.

do you do any gaming? that might matter as it'd require a video card. the E1705 mentioned above has none, but the model can be configured with a very good one (which would most likely put it over the $1200 limit).

the Inspiron 6000 has the ATi x300 card, which is very low end, but is at least dedicated. The Inspiron 6000 should be lighter and offer better battery life than the E1705.

the E1505 link doesnt work.. but in general, the E1505 is the "replacement" of the Inspiron 6000. the 6000 uses last year's Intel Sonoma chip.. while both E models are using the new Intel Duo Core.. but for most people, they won't really utilize the duo cores or notice much of a difference between them and the previous chip.

Guest SatinDoll

oo i don't game.

and since the prices are fairly close...inspiron 6000- $1022 and inspiron E1505- $1086

which would u rather choose?

and THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! u have no idea...thanksss

oo i don't game.

and since the prices are fairly close...inspiron 6000- $1022 and inspiron E1505- $1086

which would u rather choose?

and THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! u have no idea...thanksss

hmm probably the E1505. they are basically the same chassis, but the E1505 is a generation newer. I personally don't like Dell but if your mom can get a good value for it, go for it!

as for the keyboard thing.. i can't help you with that as people have differing preferences.. you think you can find a store around your area that has some dell models for you to try typing on? I tried the 6000 before, pretty standard keyboard.

Guest SatinDoll

hmm probably the E1505. they are basically the same chassis, but the E1505 is a generation newer. I personally don't like Dell but if your mom can get a good value for it, go for it!

as for the keyboard thing.. i can't help you with that as people have differing preferences.. you think you can find a store around your area that has some dell models for you to try typing on? I tried the 6000 before, pretty standard keyboard.

hey srrry

ONE last question:

which do you think is the better deal for the INSPIRON E1505?

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

the $1086 one...or the $729 one...or the $679 one

i can't decide cus the $1086 one has more features....but i dunno if it's worth $357 extra..or $407 extra

wat would u do personally??

Thank you sooo muchhh :sweatingbullets:

hey srrry

ONE last question:

i can't decide cus the $1086 one has more features....but i dunno if it's worth $357 extra..or $407 extra

729 one seems good enough to meet your modest needs. if you download alot.. its cheaper to buy external HD or an external DVD burner rather than to upgrade the Notebook's one, when you need space.

btw, is this going to be your only computer, or do you still have a desktop you're going to use?

Guest SatinDoll

729 one seems good enough to meet your modest needs. if you download alot.. its cheaper to buy external HD or an external DVD burner rather than to upgrade the Notebook's one, when you need space.

btw, is this going to be your only computer, or do you still have a desktop you're going to use?

oo im still gonna be using desktop...but when im away ill be using laptop.

but i was just wondering...cus 729 does not include the anti-virus stuff...or the microsoft word....

oo im still gonna be using desktop...but when im away ill be using laptop.

but i was just wondering...cus 729 does not include the anti-virus stuff...or the microsoft word....

the thing is, the anti virus, word, etc they give you are all trial editions so they're going to expire anyways.

but now that you told me you still have a desktop.. i'm glad that you no longer considered the E1705, its not exactly something you wanna take when you want to be mobile..

if you want something lighter like the Inspiron 710M, its a bit lighter and the screen is 12" widescreen.. versus the 15.4" on the E15xx

Guest userid

hey srrry

ONE last question:

are you a college student by any chance? I couldn't tell from your bday, it was listed as ..,1908 :sweatingbullets:. But if you are in college, you can take advatage of this EPP offer and get 10% off:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/segmenter....n&s=eep&cs=2245

About EPP (Student at College):

------------------------------

1. If you don't have logon id, select the line said "If you do not know your member ID, you can enter the store by clicking here."

2. At some point, you will have a chance to select "Higher Education..." as your EPP

3. At the end (when you check out), you will HAVE TO provide a COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY name and Student/Staff ID.

i got this off Fatwallet and haven't test it out myself, but it's worth a look. You should go for the smaller/lighter laptop as you already have a desktop like Range said...your back will thnk you.

Guest .moony.

oh im choosing a laptop just like SatinDoll

my question is :

Is the Intel® Dual CoreTM Processor a lot better than PEntium M (of the inspiron 6000)

and between HP that has Intel® Dual CoreTM Processor and Dell 6000 that has Pentium M which one would u choose?

i dont game lol

but i dl a lot of movies T.T so my harddrive often runs out really quick

thanks a lot ^^

Is the Intel® Dual CoreTM Processor a lot better than PEntium M (of the inspiron 6000)

and between HP that has Intel® Dual CoreTM Processor and Dell 6000 that has Pentium M which one would u choose?

i dont game lol

but i dl a lot of movies T.T so my harddrive often runs out really quick

thanks a lot ^^

Dual Core is useful if you are a heavy multi tasker.. other wise for the average modest user, they probably won't notice the difference. It does seem that Dual Core versions of the same laptop, tend to get slightly better battery life. In the case above, the Dual core version costed only slightly more so one might as well move up to it.. other wise in your case, if there was a big price difference, you might want to opt on choosing the older Pentium M and using the saved money on a bigger hard drive or dvd burner so you can store the stuff you d/l

Guest .moony.

oh thanks Range ur such a big help ^_^ *hugs Range*

okay ill get the 6000 then ^^ and how much is an external hd btw? (like the average cost)

also thanks to userid!! i used ur link and saved quite a bit =D they didnt require me to provide any student ID tho o.O

Guest Xarthan

oh thanks Range ur such a big help ^_^ *hugs Range*

okay ill get the 6000 then ^^ and how much is an external hd btw? (like the average cost)

also thanks to userid!! i used ur link and saved quite a bit =D they didnt require me to provide any student ID tho o.O

You should get the 6400 instead, its only a marginal price in hardware and you wouldn't be buying an already out of date piece of hardware.

You should get the 6400 instead, its only a marginal price in hardware and you wouldn't be buying an already out of date piece of hardware.

why should she bother with a video card? she doesn't game. if the 6400 is roughly the same price then yes it would be better getting that like I already said.

as for external HDs. depends what size, you can check NewEgg.. or you can upgrade the internal HD inside the Inspiron, however keep in mind external HDs cost less than their notebook counterpart.

Guest SoupSandwich

I like personally like the huge maxtor one. 3oo gigs to store anime, dramas, music, & still backup your files. I think they go for 2 to 3 hundred bucks. It's generally a buck a gig.

Guest Xarthan

why should she bother with a video card? she doesn't game. if the 6400 is roughly the same price then yes it would be better getting that like I already said.

What are you talking about? The 6400 has the low end video card, Intel Integrated. (FYI 6400 is branded as e1505 at Home)

I think you are confusing it with the 9400. (FYI 9400 is branded as e1705 at Home)

All I was saying, that if you are going to be buying a laptop now, get the Core Duo Models, improvement in performance and battery life. (So they say)

And the difference between the models (6000 vs 6400) is about 20-70 bucks on dell. Right now you can get the 6400/e1505 with a free printer for only 680 bucks. Or get the 6000 is only 649 bucks. Only ~30 dollars difference.

Archived