Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

Guest itsannies

I hope this is the right place to post this,
So I'm stuck and can't decide between these two laptops:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11738590&whse=BC&Ne=5000135+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%204294899860&Mo=8&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=#BVRRWidgetID

and 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11757423&whse=BC&Ne=5000135+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%204294899860&Mo=8&No=7&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=#BVRRWidgetID
I can't tell which one I would be getting my money's worth from. As a side note, I can get windows office, so I don't necessarily need the laptop to come with it. I'm leaning towards the second link because it's cheaper. Any help would be awesome!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cpark1430263252

Is there a difference between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 and 7.0 Plus? Or are they the same thing?
Really wanting a tablet...I should just go to best buy and check some out.

Guest itsannies

Sorry about that, its this one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11738590&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

Its a HP with 1tb memory.

Guest itsannies

Differences:quad-core processordedicated GPUBlu-Ray playerincreased storage space

Any of those features worth more to you?

Not necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy. I'm thinking of buying a laptop soon but I have no clue as to which laptop is good for me. I'm pretty clueless about the technical stuff so it would be great if someone can recommend a specific model and brand. I'm going to be using it for completing my homework, browsing the web, playing games, and watching videos (in HD). I don't want it to be too heavy as I'm planning to carry it around. My budget is $1000 but it would be better if it's cheaper. Also, I'm not too concerned about the design and if it helps, I live in Australia and I prefer to buy it inside a store (not online). If I'm missing any details, please inform me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Malice_Kaiser

I'm buying a laptop forreals! Finally! I'm taking advantage of this deal Windows is offering, to receive the free Xbox 360 when you buy a laptop for at least $700.

So my budget: at LEAST $700, would prefer to not go much about $800, but I'm open to many suggestionsRequirements: I'd like to be able to run the latest versions of Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't use them too much, but it needs to be doable. Also the ability to run Minecraft couldn't hurt either...Sizing: Oviously the lighter the better... Four years ago I bought a 15.6" Dell Studio, and that thing is HEAVY AS HELL. I will not miss it... I'd like something smaller than 15.6"

Does anyone have any suggestions for good brands for my needs? What kind of specs should I be looking for? Last time I bought a laptop, the average specs were a lot lower than they are now, even just four years ago. Also I really just have no idea when it comes to graphics cards, etc :/

Guest azngirl01

My sister is going to South Korea in less than a few months for a trip and she's currently looking for a Korean notebook for the mean time.
What are some good notebook/laptop recommendations?

Would this notebook be good, or something more/different?
http://www.interpark.com/product/MallDisplay.do?_method=detail&gateTp=1&sc.dispNo=001110&sc.shopNo=0000100000&sc.prdNo=1211732785

Or even, U.S. models (anything but a mac)? (:?
Say something that could be used for general usage, school, and gaming purposes (such as 2D-3D mmorpgs)?

Guest YouKnow_ThatGuy

Malice_Kaiser said: I'm buying a laptop forreals! Finally! I'm taking advantage of this deal Windows is offering, to receive the free Xbox 360 when you buy a laptop for at least $700.

So my budget: at LEAST $700, would prefer to not go much about $800, but I'm open to many suggestionsRequirements: I'd like to be able to run the latest versions of Photoshop and Illustrator. I don't use them too much, but it needs to be doable. Also the ability to run Minecraft couldn't hurt either...Sizing: Oviously the lighter the better... Four years ago I bought a 15.6" Dell Studio, and that thing is HEAVY AS HELL. I will not miss it... I'd like something smaller than 15.6"

Does anyone have any suggestions for good brands for my needs? What kind of specs should I be looking for? Last time I bought a laptop, the average specs were a lot lower than they are now, even just four years ago. Also I really just have no idea when it comes to graphics cards, etc :/

Guest YouKnow_ThatGuy

While the intel HD 4000 graphics is a big improvement over Intel's previous integrated graphics, having the radeon is still a better option as it gives you more flexibility in case you want to play a game that is a bit more intense. Also, remember that the samsung is a full pound heavier.

• 2 weeks later...

ur definitely ganna look for the lenovo u400. for ur photoshoping and illustration needs u would benefit alot from having a dedicated gpu. Intel does great but if theres an extra gpu to handle the load for 700$, take it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest moodycaddy

planning on getting an apple laptop.first time OS user. so, don't know much about apple computers.

am between the macbook pro retina display and the macbook air.
it's going to be for everyday use. hoping it does run fast though. 
was first against the pro for not coming with a 13', but upon looking at it, 15' wasn't that big or heavy. 
however. i am wondering whether this retina display is worth that much $$$ was there any significant changes to the pro other than the retina display that makes it 'new and improved?'as for the retina display, if the image or video isn't up to par with the graphics or pixels then...wouldn't there be no difference in using the retina display? 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest toheavenx

I'm trying what tablet I should buy. Main uses would be for reading, watching video, and regular internet surfing. So I would be fine with a wi-fi only model, and now that the ipad mini is out, I'm lost on what would be good. 
Between the Nexus, Kindle Fire, ipad mini, Galaxy Tab. 
One of the reasons I am hesitant on Kindle Fire is because I would like to be able to read Korean e-books if they are available. Anyone know if this is easily done on the Kindle? 
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

hi
its nice post for guide, i have seen last day Acer note book with intel inside any box price is $1000 any one have it second hand, i like i very much but my budget is low that's why i want to get it in used .
thanks

• 3 weeks later...

moodycaddy

said:

planning on getting an apple laptop.

first time OS user. so, don't know much about apple computers.

am between the

macbook pro retina display

and the

macbook air

it's going to be for everyday use. hoping it does run fast though. 

was first against the pro for not coming with a 13', but upon looking at it, 15' wasn't that big or heavy. 

however. i am wondering whether this retina display is worth that much $$$ was there any significant changes to the pro other than the retina display that makes it 'new and improved?'as for the retina display, if the image or video isn't up to par with the graphics or pixels then...wouldn't there be no difference in using the retina display? 

Archived