Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

Guest megaSTEPxo

I actually have a Compaq laptop in mind because it seems really cheap.. saw one for $1000 (excluding tax) at Best Buy.. but I would like to hear some feedback on this brand. My Bro suggested iBook to me because he said it's really cheap. I think iBook looks really nice too but I am not sure since it's Mac. I actually rarely use Mac.. the last time was probably 2 years ago so I can't really remember the difference, advantages/disadvantages compared to Windows. I am actually just worried about transferring files (such as word documents) from Mac to my desktop PC.. since I think it supports different file extensions? So experts.. please give me some advice on non Mac or Mac? I also see a lot of my professors and other faculty instructors use iBooks/Powerbooks.

I am only looking for something not too expensive (as cheap as possible,lol), light, and small.. and I guess a nice appearance too. I only want it so I can use it at school during my breaks so I probably won't need any fantastic functions.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have a Compaq laptop in mind because it seems really cheap.. saw one for $1000 (excluding tax) at Best Buy.. but I would like to hear some feedback on this brand. My Bro suggested iBook to me because he said it's really cheap. I think iBook looks really nice too but I am not sure since it's Mac. I actually rarely use Mac.. the last time was probably 2 years ago so I can't really remember the difference, advantages/disadvantages compared to Windows. I am actually just worried about transferring files (such as word documents) from Mac to my desktop PC.. since I think it supports different file extensions? So experts.. please give me some advice on non Mac or Mac? I also see a lot of my professors and other faculty instructors use iBooks/Powerbooks.

I am only looking for something not too expensive (as cheap as possible,lol), light, and small.. and I guess a nice appearance too. I only want it so I can use it at school during my breaks so I probably won't need any fantastic functions.

ibooks being cheap? most current model macs, whether it is ibook or powerbook, carry a pretty hefty price tag. But they're also built very well, a signature of most Asus designed laptops. There's some overlap between Compaq and HP models as several are virtually the same thing. Other wise if you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest waiting a little longer.. Lenovo has released a new line that's seperate from the former IBM Thinkpad, which will be both cheap (aimed towards the lower end market) while supposedly maintaining the quality build of the Thinkpad line. It should come under $1000. With your modest needs, you could settle for a Celeron M or Intel Core "Single". Dell will also have some 12" models that should come under $1000 if you're using the coupons... unfortunately I haven't kept up with Dell's offerings and Xarthan would probably answer that one better. But if you can wait, then wait.. i also don't see any reason for you to go to Mac OS either, most faculty seem to use it (at least in my last school) simply because that's what the school sells, and they can get good discounts.. as well as being "simpler" for them.

Guest the;andro

i need a laptop and after stalkin all the laptop gurus i know, imma down with 3 choices - toshiba, fujitsu, and apple G4.

the thing is, i honestly do not see anythin i fancy from fujitsu, and imma secretly in love with the G4, but just one problem, i gotta start learnin how to use OS X. i read about 39257 reviews on G4, and it score a 8 out of 10, which is pretty high, and i think imma gonna buy it in another 5 hours time.

should i buy it honestly?

can i do clubbox and bitcomet on G4 too? PLEASE TELL ME if eu are a G4 user. thanks <3

i need a laptop and after stalkin all the laptop gurus i know, imma down with 3 choices - toshiba, fujitsu, and apple G4.

the thing is, i honestly do not see anythin i fancy from fujitsu, and imma secretly in love with the G4, but just one problem, i gotta start learnin how to use OS X. i read about 39257 reviews on G4, and it score a 8 out of 10, which is pretty high, and i think imma gonna buy it in another 5 hours time.

should i buy it honestly?

can i do clubbox and bitcomet on G4 too? PLEASE TELL ME if eu are a G4 user. thanks <3

which powerbook G4 are you aiming for? the 12" or 17" model? big difference there. Fujitsu's equivelent to the 12" models are the Fujitsu S series, while their equivelent to the 17" models are the N6xxx series. Clubbox and bitcoment aren't exactly demanding programs.. and i'm not sure what exactly you're looking in the Fujitsu that doesn't make it fancy.. however I highly reccomend you do not get Toshiba. Apple's and Fujitsus are one of the better built machines out there, very sturdy.. Apple has a tendency to use carbon fiber and aluminum in the chasis and lid, while Fujitsu tends to use magnesium.. much sturdier than any Toshiba model which primarily is ABS plastic. A better 3rd alternative would be Asus.. they are the ODM of Apple so the quality is similar..but they are cheaper and windows based.. some of their designs like the W2V look just like an Apple. Asus offers a wider range of models so you got more choices there.

bitcomet is a windows program and I believe they have not made a mac version of it.

Guest the;andro

thanks ALOT. i apologize for makin another topic on this just now.

i was hopin to get the 12inch one. is it good?

the thing about fujitsu is that i dun see fujitsu S series in japan so yeahs.

Do you think a 13.3inch screen is big? That wouldn't be very portable right?

ultimately depends on each person. not too many brands out there make models in the 13.3 size.. off the top of my head.. Sony and Asus have 13" widescreen models, while Fujitsu has a 13" standard ratio model.

they're usually around 4lbs. For some that's pretty small and portable.. for others, they are comfortable lugging around a 14 and even 15.4" model. Your best bet is to go to CompUSA or a similar store and spend some time on models of different sizes to see which you're comfortable with.

thanks ALOT. i apologize for makin another topic on this just now.

i was hopin to get the 12inch one. is it good?

the thing about fujitsu is that i dun see fujitsu S series in japan so yeahs.

ah you're in Japan? you'll probably have more choices (and probably newer models) than what the US has to offer.

In Japan, the Fujitsu S series is the MG series.

http://www.fmworld.net/product/hard/pcpm05...m=fmv_rightmenu

I reccomend the model with the AMD Turion processor with a 13.3 screen. It should be a good value for your money.

I believe Asus also sells in Japan, but not sure what model they have available there.. 12" models are the W5 and M5 series, 13" is the W6 and W7 series. 3 of them have recently been upgraded to use the new Intel Duo Core cpu.

IBM also has two 12" models and are probably among the best built laptops out there in the world, also very light.. but they don't have optical drives so you might want to consider an external one if you choose them.

I heard NEC is pretty good, but since its not available in the US, I can't comment too much on them other than that their 12" model is the LaVie G, type J.

Guest vannushka

I was thinking of trading my sony viao s58 and gettign teh fujitsu p7010. I got my viao and I rarely use it because I thought it wasn't portable enough. Do you think that's a good decision..i heard fujitsu made better laptops than sony.

I was thinking of trading my sony viao s58 and gettign teh fujitsu p7010. I got my viao and I rarely use it because I thought it wasn't portable enough. Do you think that's a good decision..i heard fujitsu made better laptops than sony.

Sony's aren't bad, infact they're pretty nice.. i just think they're over priced for what you get (unless theres a real good deal). And other than their 13.3" models, they usually don't have very good vid cards in them, they tend to use low end cards which might not be enough for those who like to game or do 3d graphics.

Fujitsus are very well built, my last laptop was once.. although I personally still rank IBM higher, especially its keyboard. As for portability.. I strongly reccomend you go to a store to see what screen size you feel is portable for you, then I can list some comparable models. I find the S series to be pretty light and easy to carry, but I guess it's too bulky for you.

Guest vannushka

Sony's aren't bad, infact they're pretty nice.. i just think they're over priced for what you get (unless theres a real good deal). And other than their 13.3" models, they usually don't have very good vid cards in them, they tend to use low end cards which might not be enough for those who like to game or do 3d graphics.

Fujitsus are very well built, my last laptop was once.. although I personally still rank IBM higher, especially its keyboard. As for portability.. I strongly reccomend you go to a store to see what screen size you feel is portable for you, then I can list some comparable models. I find the S series to be pretty light and easy to carry, but I guess it's too bulky for you.

Since you said IBMs are better, could you name some models that are ultra portable. My choices at the moment are sony viao tx 17 and fujitsu p7010.

I am happy with my processor, i've never used a 1.2ghz before so I am not sure how slow it is. I have pretty basic needs, no graphics designing or anything.

Since you said IBMs are better, could you name some models that are ultra portable. My choices at the moment are sony viao tx 17 and fujitsu p7010.

I am happy with my processor, i've never used a 1.2ghz before so I am not sure how slow it is. I have pretty basic needs, no graphics designing or anything.

IBM X series are 12", they've recently been updated to include the new Intel Core Duo gpu. 1.2ghz is good, it's the Ultra low voltage type, its something common on smaller models that helps conserve battery. the X series doesn't have an optical drive though (i.e cd/dvd) so it might be a turn off for some.. and if you think 13.3 is big, you might find 12" not too much of a difference. But like I said, they are built well!

for Fujitsu, there's the P7120D (the version), whic is newer than the p7010 you have listed

http://laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...tegory_Code=PS2

I reccomend the above buyer, very friendly, great aftersales support, and is an authorized fujitsu reseller.

Guest userid

again i second the ibm, as a proud owner of one myself. Although, they're a bit more expensive and lacking in the graphic dept, but they made it up in built quality.

the new x60s have duo core, w/ optical drive, and they're all 12". I think the x40s also have the option for optical drive...not too sure though.

you can look at them first hand at office depot, as they are an authorized dealer now i think.

Guest brown eyes

Alright so I had a situation with Dell and my Inspiron 6000 came damage. So I'm now returning it back to Dell for a refund.

When I got it, I realized a 15.4'' LCD weighing in at 6.65 lbs package is pretty damn bulky. I don't think I want to be lugging around something like this.

So now I'm back in the market for a laptop.

I'm looking for something thats 14'' and fast enough to play movies decently. I don't play games and I'll use this computer mostly for PowerPoint presentations and surfing the net/checking email/chatting. I need an internal Bluetooth adapter and wireless built-in.

I also can't spend over $1,000. So it has to be around $900 after taxes and shipping.

Anyone have any recommendations I should consider?

Alright so I had a situation with Dell and my Inspiron 6000 came damage. So I'm now returning it back to Dell for a refund.

When I got it, I realized a 15.4'' LCD weighing in at 6.65 lbs package is pretty damn bulky. I don't think I want to be lugging around something like this.

So now I'm back in the market for a laptop.

I'm looking for something thats 14'' and fast enough to play movies decently. I don't play games and I'll use this computer mostly for PowerPoint presentations and surfing the net/checking email/chatting. I need an internal Bluetooth adapter and wireless built-in.

I also can't spend over $1,000. So it has to be around $900 after taxes and shipping.

Anyone have any recommendations I should consider?

hmm 14" and under $1000? I'd normally recomend the Asus Z63a (you might be able to configure it to be under $1000 if you get it w/o an OS and buy the RAM seperately), or the new Asus Z62f, which is also a 14" widescreen that has a built in webcam and the new Intel Core Duo processor..

http://www.geared2play.com/store/products/...s/z62f/z62f.htm

other wise, you will probably be looking at HP and Compaq's offerings, i.e the V2000 series.

Dell does have a 14" widescreen, in the US I believe its called the XPS M140, while it has a totally different designation in Canada (if you're canadian that is). There are usually coupons for these, so you'll have to do some searching for them.. such as this:

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/cheapst...s_m140_n_1.html

Guest rainbowdashkorea

Dear Mr.Range,

I am a current senior and will be attending college around mid August. I am looking for a laptop and I thought you could help me out.

I am looking for a laptop that I can play games, watch movies, surf the internet (mostly wireless) and do basic word processing/powerpoints. I'd like a laptop thats not too small and not too big. My price range is anything below $2000. Do you have anything you recommend based on my needs?

Thanks!

Dear Mr.Range,

I am a current senior and will be attending college around mid August. I am looking for a laptop and I thought you could help me out.

I am looking for a laptop that I can play games, watch movies, surf the internet (mostly wireless) and do basic word processing/powerpoints. I'd like a laptop thats not too small and not too big. My price range is anything below $2000. Do you have anything you recommend based on my needs?

Thanks!

a model in the 14" to 15.4" should do it.. 14" would be the most preferable as they are a good compromise between power and portability. Quite honestly, I think you should ask around July or early August.. by then more Intel Core Duo and AMD Turion x2 models should be out, and it's always best to buy a laptop when you really need it.

off the top of my head, the Asus w3j, which will come out around april would be a good choice.. about $1799, has the ATi x1600 card (the best card you can get in a 14" model), carbon fiber build, at least 4 hours of battery life, and about 5.5lbs.. it should meet your gaming and portability needs.

Guest vannushka

Thanks for the info Range. I like the fujitsu but apart from the weight, I don't have any other complaints about my sony viao. I think I'll keep that for now. I'll come back here soon regarding questions about my brother's laptop. My dad wants to get my brother a laptop but we have no clue where to start. It's going to be his first computer.

Archived