Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Remove Write Protection from USB Drive??

lil' zenlil' zen Seoul, Mapogu,Sangsudong^^Posts: 523Member
Tried a few softwares nothing happened.
I have a USB drive that needs formatting, but I can't format it because it is write protected. Can anyone please help??
I have since tried like the Low Level Format, but it stopped halfway thru then the Neo 9 as well but it said it couldn't detect my USB when it was actually intact. Help??

Replies

• orangemanorangeman Posts: 2,650Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited September 2011
    If there's no button or toggle, try this:

http://www.softpedia...e-Protect.shtml

Tried it on my own and it works pretty well for turning Write Protect on or off.
  • lil' zenlil' zen Seoul, Mapogu,Sangsudong^^Posts: 523Member
    Thanks!!^^ I will be trying that.
  • YuerYuer Posts: 175Member
    I have the same problem with one of my USB drives. The one I have is Cenion DataStick Sport. After looking up (a while ago), I found out that that flash drive tends to have this problem. Once it gets to the "write protect' error, it is pretty much broken.

I tried several programs before and none fixed the problem completely. One of them (can't remember which one :/ ) fixed the problem temporarily. Then after a while, the problem came back.

I hope orangeman's recommendation will fix yours >.< mine is no hope. It works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. Can't rely on this one at all :[
    ❤ Shop <-- MOVING SALE!! Up to 50% off listed price. ❤ Status ❤ NO SERVICE FEE Survey for Zipia, Stylenanda, Asia Fashion Wholesale, Wholesale-dress.net, and any English site* ❤ Put "PPMLY" in Memo section if you shop @ Queendom.ca for random freebie!!! (can combine w coupon) ❤
  • orangemanorangeman Posts: 2,650Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited September 2011
    Errors happen from bad removals to death messages but a higher quality NAND flash chip could mean the difference between an attempt at recovery and permanent loss. 
  • lil' zenlil' zen Seoul, Mapogu,Sangsudong^^Posts: 523Member
    edited September 2011
    It didn't solve the write protection...>.<" I thought it did but towards the end of the formatting it came out with the error thingy again...
    I thought it was the Vista problem so I tried it on the Windows 7 as well...but to no avail..

Still, thanks for your help orangeman ^^
  • froggy604froggy604 Van, BCPosts: 636Member

ROOKIE

Ask a friend with a Mac, or Linux based computer to try to format your USB in Fat32, or NTFS or you can start your computer from a Ubuntu Linux Live CD which you can learn how to make at http://www.ubuntu.com/download .

All you need is a CD burner and a blank CD-R disc to burn the Ubuntu Live CD to.
  • EmanuelJarsEmanuelJars Posts: 1Banned, New Member
    lil wrote:

I have a USB drive that needs formatting, but I can't format it because it is write protected. Can anyone please help??
    I have since tried like the Low Level Format, but it stopped halfway thru then the Neo 9 as well but it said it couldn't detect my USB when it was actually intact. Help??

follow the steps

1.Open a new note pad file.

2.Copy this

cd\
    reg add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies” /t Reg_dword /v

WriteProtect /f /d 0

3.save it as DISABLEWP.BAT

4.Then copy it to start up folder.

When you insert a pendrive it remove write protection.If it becomes.Or simply use any software which fix this kind of problem.You may try LONG PATH Tool.It may help you.Thanks.
  • uniqboyuniqboy Posts: 1New Member
    Try using Diskpart:
    open command prompt
    Type ‘Diskpart’-> ‘list disk’ -> ‘select disk ‘
    ->’attributes disk clear readonly’ ->exit
    Done!
    for details, check:
    tech-soln.blogspot.in/2013/02/how-to-enable-or-disable-write.html