Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

Thai vs. Viet Food

milkbunnymilkbunny my bf's boxerPosts: 2,921Member

ROOKIE

the battle of the foods begin :]
So me(thai/chinese) and my boyfriend(viet) are having a competition
who's national food taste better mine or his?
so we thought soompi... would be a good place to answer this question:
IS THAI FOOD BETTER OR VIETNAMESE FOOD?
♥pink DINOsawrs are yummii

Replies

• yummyOyummyO Posts: 539Member

IDOL

well um i would pick padthai over pho
    but other than padthai i dont really like thai food.
    overall viet cuisine got my vote, BUT on my top ten favorite food list for now padthai is my number one
    but that is just one dish."if that even make any sense"
    kinda bias cause im viet lawls!
  • JAMIESHOCKJAMIESHOCK Posts: 565Friend of Soompi

ROOKIE

THAI FOOD!! So, so good. image

It helps that Davis has a fair number of decent Thai restaurants and my Thai/Chinese-mix aunt makes some of the most delicious foods in the world.
  • xkrndreamerxkrndreamer BASKETBALL IS LIFE Cal State FullertonPosts: 6,295Friend of Soompi

IDOL

• xm1chellexm1chelle Posts: 1,275Member
    I like both...but I like viet food a bit better image
  • Hap^_____^PYHap^_____^PY TexasPosts: 179Member
    Vietnamese Food gets my vote =]
  • chifunichifuni ★☆★☆★☆ CaliforniaPosts: 4,843Member

IDOL

Vietnamese Food! PHOOOO image
  • TimidSoulTimidSoul UKPosts: 70Member

ROOKIE

Viet for me image

(I still love pad thai and green curry tho!!)
    "You are never too old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream." - C. S. Lewis

• CaramelSweetieCaramelSweetie PFTTTTTTTT yeah vancouverPosts: 4,357Member

IDOL

I haven't tried enough viet food to decide properly, but for now, it's thai for me. image
    Reading: 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6 || 7 || 8 || 9 ||
    Have read: a || b || c || d || e || f || g
    ARPILBLACKCOFFEE I found Paris.
  • teruteru_chanteruteru_chan POWER OF MUSIC Posts: 1,703Member

SUPERSTAR

Viet food FTW! xD
    i find Thai food kinda spicy for me lol

[maybe i'm biased cuz i'm Vietnamese ;D]
    naichu @ lj 
  • ichigo_no_powderichigo_no_powder VancouverPosts: 4,632Friend of Soompi
    thai! sorry but i am not a fan of vietnamese food
    imageimage
  • herro dianaherro diana CaliforniaPosts: 2,503Member

TRAINEE

I like both, but I choose Thai. I like my food spicy and whatnot, haha. Pad si-io and pad Thai are so yummy...
  • pampam CaliforniaPosts: 1,726Member

IDOL

I love Vietnamese food!!!
    ♥ Lee Yeon Hee ♥ Shim Changmin ♥
    ~ Currently watching: The Moon Embracing The Sun ~
    yh04.jpg2hdmr77.jpg
    avatar & sig (left) credit: *`xiuzhen ; sig (right) credit:as tagged
  • dainty!dainty! Posts: 1,465Member

IDOL

I don't get why it would matter, but thai food ftw! +___+
    monkie2804
  • leelee.leelee. USAPosts: 1,508Member

IDOL

So basically, this is like a poll on whether most people prefer Thai or Vietnamese food? It's all based on personal opinions though... and there's SO MANY different dishes in each country's cuisine.

I've never had any Thai food (sad right?!), but I only like some Vietnamese dishes.
    bymanderly_angel.gif
    sig by manderly_angel
  • kissez*kissez* YEAH OH YEAH Posts: 8,252Friend of Soompi

IDOL

I love both but I prefer Vietnamese food.

"It was tender and mild, like baby Jesus."

FORMSPRING
  • XenTXenT hmh. Posts: 787Member
  • stjapo46stjapo46 Posts: 4,477Member
    Thai food for me =) I like both, but spicy food is just too good to pass.
  • WinnieexxxWinnieexxx UKPosts: 132Member
    edited May 2010
    That's actually quite a hard question since they're both very different.. image can't give a straight answer unfortunately..

Viet food tastes so much "cleaner" to me, lighter with more veggies and herbs, more soups, also I'm more used to it as I'm vietnamese myself,

When I went to stay at my boyfriend's place in Thailand for a month i ate pretty much every thai food possible (and still do with him as thai restaurants outnumber viet restaurants 10:1 in my current city) and to be honest they're quite evenly matched...for beef/pork stirfries,noodle dishes like pad si ew etc I prefer thai food, but otherwise the curries and etc. I don't really enjoy, and some dishes can be a bit greasy for me sometimes. For soups and salads vietnamese food wins hands down image...tho I love larb as well...

Overall though, I prefer vietnamese food slightly more...but I kind of wish that I had more experience with home cooked thai dishes....while i was visiting thailand I only had a 1-2 dishes cooked by his maids, the rest of the time the thai dishes i tried over there and here were in restaurants, and i'm pretty sure that they're not as "authentic" or at least cooked with more oil or have some fusion elements to them compared to dishes cooked at home. For example I'm used to eating pho at home with most of the fat having been skimmed off the broth; I basically hate eating pho at restaurants because its oily as hell LOL.

Other than that the only time i wouldn't have a preference is between the very similar dishes, like canh chua/tom yum goong, or ga nuong/kai yang..
    ASOS/BOOHOO/WAREHOUSE/TOPSHOP UK Survey {FREE Toronto Pickup}, US/CAD shipping
  • greentea:vee xogreentea:vee xo My lips like sugaa. TEXAS!Posts: 2,871Member
    I'm vietnamese but I prefer thai food.
    A new door open as the old one closes.
    superhumanchichi
  • delightfuldelightful Posts: 295Member

IDOL

thai food for me since i grew up with it. but vietnamese food is also good. i love pho and could probably eat it everyday of my life if i had to, since the flavor all depends on what you add to the soup, meat, and noodle. image

if you're not thai and have not lived in thailand before then you probably haven't had real thai food, because restaurant food even in thailand is not always made to your taste. and this goes the same for vietnamese food too i suppose, since my viet friend's mom can cook better than anything i can get in a restaurant.

so this question really depends on what most of us on soompi prefer, not which one is better. image
    ih4ck0.png