Healthy ways to grow African-American/mixed hair?

Guest chiffonandtulerain

Guest chiffonandtulerain

Okay, so I'm technically mixed but I identify as African-American mostly. I have a really strange curl pattern--it's 4b but it's always been wavier instead of curlier. I'd say that it's only a tad bit shorter than this:

http://vnatural.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/natural85-long-natural-hair-4a.jpg

I had been natural up until the age of 10, when I started getting relaxers. I went natural in 10th grade through transitioning (I can't do cutting all of my hair short; I'm a chicken when it comes to scissors if my ends aren't being cut. I'll wait, thank you), but stopped back in April for prom because it was too hard to manage. I suck at doing hair, so my aunt had to do it or I got it done at the shop, both in various styles, but it would get frizzy within two days. I can really only do a basic ponytail, and I couldn't even make that look right unless it was flat-ironed. :/

Anyway, while I do love straightening my hair, I want to embrace my natural hair, too. I see girls grow their hair down their waists, but they have finer hair. My hair is thick. I was always "known" for being "that one girl with the long hair", it has always seemed to be an inch or two above the middle of my back (but now it seems to be reaching it) because my hair was over-processed (at least going natural gave my hair a break and let it heal!). While I have no problem with this, I wonder if I can grow it super-duper long. My hair gets dry easily, so I have to oil it every other day. I get it washed or wash it myself every two weeks; when I went natural I think it was the same span. I can't wash it out every day because of my hair texture. I usually have to make sure my ends are healthy because they can succumb to breakage if I'm not careful. Also, naturally my hair seems to grow out before it grows down.

Can I grow it to the end of my back? Will it take decades? I want to go natural again one day, through transitioning. I can be patient. Should I get a texturizer to get a head-start so I can learn to manage my hair? How can I tame it? What kind of hair-care regimens can help me grow my hair? My hair can grow somewhat quickly, but that's only in the form of new growth.

Homemade remedies are appreciated!

Please help me ^.^ Thanks and God Bless~

• 1 month later...

It will take patience. But if you really want to grow it that long I do think it will be important that you take the time to learn how to manage your hair etc. & Of course your hair will grow out before down because it's growing in your natural curl pattern.. Unfortunately, I've never been natural for that long so I can't really give any tips or stuff, but there are a bit of blogs out there where women reveal their hair growth process. Anyway, good luck!

Hi there!! I think i can totally help you! I myself am not natural, but i have lived with my sister as she goes through her natural hair care process (with my fair amount of "WHY ARENT YOU NATURAL" arguments with her).
First of all, Dont get a texturizer!! That is another form of relaxer, so either way you will have to go through the same process regardless to get your hair to a natural state as well as learn how to take care of your natural hair. If anything that will make the process take longer.
Second, Your hair will be able to grow uber long as long as you take care of it. My sister went from basically bald to longer then shoulder length in about 8 years. Within those years though she has had sooooo many long and short hairstyles with the aid of hair extensions while doing protective styles.
CHECK OUT: marley twist, twist outs, box braids etc. These are some amazing styles that will give you the long hair style your looking for while keeping your hair healthy and ends protected. Perfect for winter or other dry times of year.
Last: the way to tame your hair and make it grow fast is buy keeping up a simple regime. You really dont need alot to take care of your natural hair, you just need patients and regularity. To grow your hair long, stay away from greasy foods. Vitimine a rich foods and LOTS of water! also taking suppliments like vitamin E and Biotin are also great for aiding your hair.
Oils to use:Olive, grape seed, COCONUT (sooooo good!!!), almond, peppermint.
Tools to have:Wide tooth comb, Satin hair cap or wrap (wrap your hair EVERY NIGHT or when your not outside), bobby pins, enriched  shampoo / conditioners. (you can even just wash you hair with a mixture of contitioner and olive oil weekly and no shampoo). Also wraps and stuff for stylish protective dos for going out.
Avacado is really good for your hair so if you eat alot, or put it in your hair, it will help nourish it.Honey is also a great moisturizer, just make sure its thoroughly washed out! It can also act as a natural hair lightener over time (My hair went from jet blue black to like brown in 6 months)
Its really all about precistance and knowing what works for your hair. You really need to do alot of research and learn different styles that you like for each stage of your hair. There are even certain oils to use to put in your hair and then another to seal the ends so that it keeps the most amount of moisture. My sister doesnt even go to a hair dresser anymore and does everything herself, after a few years of dealing with her hair, and has said once all the chemicals grow from your scalp, your hair gets softer and more managable. (The out before down is due to the chemicals).
83toinfinity.com is her website if youd like to see her hair care journy. She also has a few tutorials and her favourite items. 
If you have more questions let me know and i will either ask her or tell you what i think would be best as well!!
Good luck on your journey!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think that the combination of races is really such an important thing for choosing the tips of growing a healthy hair :) I can recommend you to look through this article http://machohairstyles.com/how-to-get-long-hair, they're universal for restoring and growing the healthy hair ^_^ And are almost the same as in other articles connected with this topic, I've tried them and was very satisfied with the results ^_^
Masks from different natural oils, aloe and eggs are amazing! As also the good beauty products, like this organic professional shampoo with vitamins ^_^

3-Pak-Vitamins-Shampoo.jpg

Archived