[Drama 2008] Painter Of The Wind 바람의 화원

Guest azzuri

[sBS] Moon Geun Young, Park Shin Yang, Moon Chae Won, Bae Soo Bin
This thread was originally started by huangsy, and currently maintained by azzuri.

last edited on December-17-2009

200809170958472100_1.jpg

Title: 바람의 화원 / Painter of the Wind

Also known as: Wind's Flower Garden / Garden of the Wind

Genre: Period / Romance / Mystery

Episodes: 20

Broadcast network: SBS

Broadcast period: Sep-24-2008 to Dec-04-2008

Air time: Wednesday & Thursday, 21:55

Director: Jang Tae-yu (장태유) / Assistant Director Jin Hyeok (진혁)

Scriptwriter: Lee Eun-young (이은영)

Cast

Moon Geun-young (Shin Yun-bok)

Park Shin-yang (Kim Hong-do)

Extended Cast

Ryu Seung-ryong (Kim Jo-nyeon)

Moon Chae-won (Jeong-hyang)

Bae Soo-bin (King Jeong-jo)

Ahn Suk-hwan (Shin Han-pyeong)

Lee Joon (Shin Young-bok)

Lim Ji-eun (Queen Jeong-soon)

Kim Eung-soo (Jang Byeok-soo, Jang Byeolje)

Park Jin-woo (Jang Hyo-won, son of Jang Byeok-soo)

Kim Bo-mi (Mak-nyeon, Jeong-hyang's maid)

Lee Mi-young (Gibang mistress Mok Kye-wyol)

Park Hyeok-kwon (Yi In-moon, friend of Kim Hong-do)

Han Yeo-woon (Yi Jung-suk, sister of Yi In-moon)

Yoo Yeon-ji (Heo-ok, girl at Danchongso)

Kim Hyo-seon (Chong-ah, Kim Jo-nyeon's bodyguard)

Kim Yoo-jeong (young Shin Yun-bok/Seo Yoon)

Lee Byung-joon (young Shin Young-bok)

Han Jung-soo (Seo Jing)

Lee Kyeong-hwa (Myeong, Seo Jing's wife)

SBS Korean Site: http://tv.sbs.co.kr/hwawon/index.html

SBS Global Site (Eng): http://global.sbs.co.kr/English/AboutSBSPr..._id=V0000334298

Teaser Trailers: 1 2 3

Sept, 2008 Press Conference Clips: 1 [English]

Synopsis

After her parents' mysterious murders, an orphan girl was adopted by an ambitious court painter Shin Han-pyeong who recognized her gift for drawing. He renames her Shin Yun-bok and raises her disguised as a boy, alongside his own son Shin Young-bok. Yun-bok grows up to be a talented painter and meets Kim Hong-do, a master painter who becomes her mentor at the male-only royal art institution Dohwaseo. By chance, Shin Yun-bok encounters a beautiful gisaeng Jeong-hyang who becomes the inspiration for many of her paintings. Meanwhile, Kim Hong-do harbors suspicions about the murder of his friend and fellow painter Seo Jing ten years ago.

Notes

The drama is based on a 2007 bestselling historic art mystery novel "Painter of the Wind" (Barameui Hwawon) by Lee Jeong-myeong (이정명). It is not related to the 2008 film "Portrait of a Beauty (Miindo)" starring Kim Min-sun.

Awards

45th BAEKSANG AWARDS Feb-27-2009

BEST LEAD ACTRESS

Moon Geun-young (SBS Painter of the Wind)

Video clips: Award Announcement - Interview - Red Carpet

English transcript for 45th Baeksang Awards available at: BIMBIBAP

2008 SBS DRAMA AWARDS

DAESANG / GRAND PRIZE (대상)

Moon Geun-Young (Painter Of The Wind) *the youngest ever Daesang winner at 21 yrs old*

Video clip: Award Announcement

FEMALE YOUNG STAR AWARD (여자 아역상)

Kim Yoo-jeong (Painter Of The Wind)

NEW STAR AWARD (뉴스타상)

Bae Soo-bin (Painter Of The Wind)

Moon Chae-won (Painter Of The Wind)

Video clip: POTW Introduction, Award Announcements for Kim Yoo-jeong, Bae Soo-bin and Moon Chae-won

TOP 10 STAR AWARD (10 대 스타상)

Moon Geun-young

BEST COUPLE AWARD (베스트커플상)

Moon Geun-young & Moon Chae-won (Painter Of The Wind) *awarded to same-sex actors for the first time*

English transcripts for SBS Drama Awards available at: BIMBIBAP

Fan's summary (courtesy of nabi): http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?s=&...&p=12070391

2008 GRIME AWARDS (Presented by Korean Television Directors of Photography Association)

BEST ACTRESS

Moon Geun-young (SBS Painter of the Wind)

BEST ACHIEVEMENT FOR A PRODUCTION

Bae Hong-soo (Photography Drama Category - SBS Painter of the Wind)

BEST LIGHTING DIRECTOR

Song Wook (SBS Painter of the Wind)

ONLINE VIEWING

EPISODES 1 - 20 (COMPLETE)

http://wizard2.sbs.co.kr/vobos/wizard2/res...e=4&cpage=5 (SBS Official Site)

http://www.mysoju.com/the-painter-of-the-wind/

http://aja-aja.com/regular/painter-of-the-wind

http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/painterofthewindEn

http://hd.openv.com/tv_show-4748.html (Chinese subbed)

http://hjzlg.com/rh/3612/ (Chinese subbed)

2 EPISODES SPECIAL MAKING OF, AIRED ON OCT-15-2008 & OCT-16-2008

OFFICIAL SBS VIDEO (Korean)

EP 1A EP 1B EP 1C EP 2A EP 2B EP 2C (Chinese subbed)

English transcripts for complete episodes and Specials available at: BIMBIBAP

Behind the Scenes Video Clips

OFFICIAL SBS VOD

Alternative: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (Interview with MGY) 8 9 10 (final scene filming + interview with MGY)

MUSIC

Song of the Wind MV (Jo Sung-mo) - YOUTUBE

OST "Yearning" Instrumental MV performed by composer/guitarist Lee Byung-woo with Orchestra - CYWORLD VIDEO

Song of the Wind MV made by a fan - CYWORLD VIDEO

Tears (HowL) MV made by a fan - CYWORLD VIDEO

MVs made by jovi75 of soompi - Song of the Wind - Snowy Path - Tears - Yearning (Impossible Dream)

OST ALBUM 1

07000014298.jpg

1. 바람의 노래 - 조성모 (Song of the Wind - Jo Sung-mo)

2. 눈 길 - 영지 (Snowy Path - Young Ji)

3. 눈물꽃 - HowL(하울) (Tears - HowL)

4. 그리움 (이루어질 수 없는...) - 조성모 (Yearning (Impossible Dream) - Jo Sung-mo)

5. 그리고 그리며 (Still Thinking of You)

6. 그리움 (Love Theme) (Yearning - guitar ver., Love Theme)

7. 도화서 (Dohwaseo)

8. 바람의 화원 (Title Theme)

9. 墨 (먹) (Tension Theme)

10. 비밀의 그림 (The Secret Painting)

11. 울다가 웃다가 (Laughing & Crying)

12. 동천련로 항장곡 (The Aged Paulownia Hides Its Melody)*

13. 저잣거리 풍경 (Street Market Scenes)

14. 생도청의 아침 (Student Wears Blue in the Morning)

15. 月下情人 (월하정인) (Moonlight Lovers)

16. 장 파 형 (Long Waves)

17. 묘향산의 호랑이 (Mountain Tiger)

18. 동천련로 항장곡 (산조 Ver.) (The Aged Paulownia Hides Its Melody - Freestyle ver.)*

19. 舞童 (무 동) (Dancing Child)

20. 생도청의 아침 (Korean Classical Ver.) (Student Wears Blue in the Morning - Korean Classical Ver.)

21. 필선의 대결 (Competition of the Workmen)

22. 年少踏靑 (연소답청) (Youth Enjoying Nature)

Megaupload (courtesy of sevenses)

*Gayageums are traditionally made of paulownia wood.

OST ALBUM 2

07000014331.jpg

"Color" (색) by JOO

Mediafire (courtesy of dramabeans)

Alternative: http://listen.daum.net/info/albuminfo.asp?...mp;albumNo=4331

News in English - LINKY

News in Korean

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

potwcartoon.jpg

Drama Trivia

*This drama marked Moon Geun-young's return to television after a 5-year absence. She applied for a one-year leave from her university studies to focus on the production. On Mar-2-2009, she returned to school.

*It is Park Shin-yang's first period drama. The actor in costume bears a striking resemblance to the real painter Kim Hong-do. Portrait

*"Song of the Wind" was composed by Lee Seung-hwan who requested for Jo Sung-mo to sing it, and it became Jo's first song after his military service.

*To ensure artistic accuracy, reproductions of actual paintings by Chosun dynasty painters Shin Yun-bok (Hyewon) and Kim Hong-do (Danwon) were done by a team of 4 painters supervised by Prof. Lee Jong-mok of Ewha Womens University. Source: JoongAng Daily

*Moon Geun-young and Park Shin-yang attended Korean calligraphy and art classes to prepare for their roles. Moon previously took some calligraphy classes as a child.

*Moon Geun-young was twice injured during filming. She first fell 3m into a well in early Oct, 2008. News About a week later, she fractured her nose during an argument scene with Park Shin-yang who played her teacher. Filming was halted to allow for her recovery, and two Making Of Specials were aired for that week. News Her co-star Park Shin-yang also risked falling off a mountain when filming the tiger chase scene.

*Two young actors in this drama previously starred opposite Moon Geun-young. Lee Joon (her adoptive brother Shin Young-bok) played her young husband King Gojong in Empress Myeong-seong. Park Jin-woo (her Dohwaseo rival Jang Hyo-won) played her boyfriend in Little Bride.

*The secret painting scene between Moon Geun-young and Moon Chae-won took 10 hrs to complete. MCW had a severe cold and ended up going to hospital for treatment in between filming. News

*Hyewon's Pungsokdo Collection - PAINTINGS IN THE DRAMA MV AND WIKI ART GALLERY

(Since the Gansong Art Museum is only open to public for 2 wks every May/Oct, it is difficult to view Hyewon's actual paintings)

*Danwon's Pungsokdo Collection - WIKI ART GALLERY

ybparodycartoon.jpg

Parody Fan Creations

With thanks to fans all over the world who took the time and effort in paying tribute to this wonderful drama.

*Parody pictures can also be found throughout this thread*

FANFICS

Painter of the Wind: Of Ink and Song by Obsidian_Gryphon [Completed]

Painter of the Wind: Butterflies and Flowers by immo [On-Going]

Painter of the Wind - "Sequel" by FengMiYiGe of Baidu, translated by 5P2M and galadriel3 and re-edited by Obsidian_Gryphon. [Completed]

YB's Heart by Sue of Baidu, translated by azzuri with author's permission [On-Going] Chapters 1 - 26 Here

EP21: Where Did The Boats Go? by azzuri [Completed]

FAN VIDEOS

Painter of the Wind: A Parody (36-min classic parody) Translation HERE

Garden of the Wind - "Player" (Whee Sung) (YB as Il Wyol San Nim sneaks off for a rendezvous)

Jealous Jeong-hyang (YB has some explaining to do for sneaking off)

YB's Time Travel: Soccer Header (YB travels through time to meet a teenaged JH playing soccer)

Mystery Thriller for Garden of the Wind (JH stalks YB)

Garden of the Wind (34 sec animated short)

We'll Dream the Same Dream (a Youngbok/YB MV)

POTW: Mission Impossible (YB/HD go undercover)

POTW: Mr. Pizza CF (feat. POTW cast)

Forum Rules: Please read THIS before posting.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AlecRuby

i wonder what hottie is going to film with her. i am hoping maybe kang dong wan, cause he looks good in ancient. i am also hoping for han kyung from super junior. he should starr in a series by now.

Guest IUPHIMHAN

As I read in Korea Times and Broad Asia, the name of the novel is Wind's Flower Garden, but name of drama will be "The Painter of the Wind". You guys can check the news thread to verify that.

Guest BlissfulSimplicity

Ohh... Awesome!

She's got to be the cutest girl ever!

I love the second picture of her...

She's beautiful!

Guest IUPHIMHAN

huangsy: At the time you open the thread, the name of the drama might have not been confirmed, people only knew name of the famous novel. As the result, some Asian forum mistakenly wrote the name of drama as "Wind's Flower Garden". I also read on one newspaper that this drama would be from the novel "..." (but the drama's name had not been confirmed), so that just stick in my mind :). A cute name though.

Anyway, thanks for opening the thread. It's so nice of you, so that we have place to look for news of our MGY.

Guest huangsy

As I read in Korea Times and Broad Asia, the name of the novel is Wind's Flower Garden, but name of drama will be "The Painter of the Wind". You guys can check the news thread to verify that.

Thx for the alert, I'll ask the MOD to update the title.

Actually when i started this thread, I simply translated the English title myself bec I could not find the English title.

Source : http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/entertainme...ail.htm?No=6921

Moon Geun-young to Star in “Painter of the Wind”

Koreans’ favorite little sister Moon Geun-young has been cast to play the leading role in the TV drama “Painter of the Wind.” Based on the book of the same title, the drama will portray the lives of two more celebrated painters of the Joseon Dynasty – Shin Yun-bok and Kim Hong-do.

Moon is to play Shin Yun-bok, a young painter who rejects the strict painting style of the time and creates free-spirited and unconventional works. In the story Shin is actually a girl who pretends to be a boy, because during the Joseon Dynasty girls were not allowed to paint. She also gets involved in an investigation of two murders, which involve her real father.

“Painter of the Wind” is Moon’s first TV series in five years. She has worked mostly in films, such as “My Little Bride,” “Innocent Steps,” and “Don’t Need Love,” but recently she has concentrated on her studies at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul. The casting of “Painter of the Wind” will be completed soon and its filming will start in March.

huangsy: At the time you open the thread, the name of the drama might have not been confirmed, people only knew name of the famous novel. As the result, some Asian forum mistakenly wrote the name of drama as "Wind's Flower Garden". I also read on one newspaper that this drama would be from the novel "..." (but the drama's name had not been confirmed), so that just stick in my mind :). A cute name though.

Anyway, thanks for opening the thread. It's so nice of you, so that we have place to look for news of our MGY.

Actually Wind's Flower Garden is a literal translation of its Korean title 바람의 화원

Drama based on a novel - http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/booklog/reviewC...ooklogId=231533

2008093010185817098_102125_0.jpg

OMG, I can't wait for this serie to come out. Moon is such a great actress, she deserve to get more recognize.

Moon come back is going to be awesome!!! I think Kang Dong Won should be in here too. I have the weirdest thought that Jaejoong can be in here, but I don't know about the pairing and what his fans think.

Anyway, the male lead still isn't confirm, I hope someone will soon.

Guest IUPHIMHAN

Actually Wind's Flower Garden is a literal translation of its Korean title 바람의 화원

Thanks for letting me know. I will use both of them when I write about the drama.

Guest bluebuzzybug

oohh...

this sound so interesting!

seems like now they are always using girl dissguise as guytheme

and MGY looks so cute!

definitely will wait for this one!

Archived