[movie 2003] Save The Green Planet! 지구를 지켜라

Guest 80slitenite

Guest 80slitenite

Shin Ha-Gyun, Baek Yun-Sik, Hwang Jeong-Min
checked in the threads directory didn't see it there. =P

great movie. saw it awhile ago. one of my fav foreign movies. i learned how to say i'm sorry in korean too. hehe. didn't do well in Korea though. i loved the way the movie played with my emotions. i was crying in this one scene then something happens that i burst out laughing. (don't want to give anything away)

69_p1.jpg

Cast: Shin Ha-Gyun, Baek Yun-Sik, Hwang Jeong-Min

Story: Byung-Gu believes that Aliens live among human beings and that these extra-terrestrial life forms are the main reason behind society’s many problems as well as the misfortune in his personal life. Being the only one aware of the problem that humanity is facing, the situation puts the fate of all human lives in his hand. The only way to stop the aliens is to speak with the Alien Prince of Andromeda before the next lunar eclipse.

However, finding the Aliens is quite a task since they look just like human beings. The most logical suspect at the moment is Kang Man-Shik, the president and CEO of a big chemical company. With the help of his beloved girlfriend, Byung-Gu they will kidnap the business man and try to make him confess that he is, in fact, an alien and then will try to convince him to let him contact the Prince. Meanwhile, a police inspector is on the case of Mr. Kang’s kidnapping and is becoming closer and closer to finding out what really happened to Kang. Will Byung-Gu have time to save humanity before the cops get to him?

***found this review and i agree completely with what it says.

Review: Mixing genres sometimes means failure in the concept of a movie. However, in rare instances a few directors have managed to surprise everyone and get away with an instant classic. Korean director Jang Jun-Hwan made an incredible piece of work with Save the Green Planet. Not only does it work as a multi-genre movie but he also manages to make us think about it and leaves in our minds as an incredible mixture of feelings.

Korean filmmakers usually come up with brilliant ideas for movies. Save the Green Planet is again another demonstration of that aspect of their new cinema. Very imaginative, full of emotions and extremely well shot, this movie will leave its mark during 2003 for sure.

As strange as it sounds, the story works very well from the beginning to the end. Starting as a black comedy, the movie switches between genres such as a Serial Killer film, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller and so on. There’s not that much that can be said about the story without revealing any spoilers except that it is a fun story to discover. The movie starts with a few big bangs, and after that it’s much more about dialogue with a slower pace. But when the second half really kicks in, that is the part during which you really won’t want to leave your seat. Plenty of surprising turns and twists, mysteries revealed, lies told and a fantastic ending.

The story is great and since it only revolves around a few characters, it’s good that the actors are able to support their respective roles so well. Shin Ha-Gyun as the main character is again excellent. His role in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance didn’t pass unnoticed and it’s great to finally see the actor having the main role in a movie. The insane character he plays in STGP is in fact not much different from Mr. Vengeance, except that his new character is much more of a dreamer and is also more determined than ever.

Baek Yun-Sik plays the poor businessman very well too. He’s also the character that gives us the most diverse emotions toward Byung-Gu. From hate to compassion then back to hate again, he is really an interesting and strange two-faced character to discover.

With some senseless and cold moments this movie is not for the sensitive one, that’s for sure, as the movie is surprisingly violent. That old proverb; don’t judge a book by its cover can be used properly here. Judging by the look of the poster, the movie just appears to be another comedy from Korea, but that’s really not the case. After Byung-Gu finally captures the suspicious alien, he will need to prove that this person is really an alien. To achieve his goal he will need to perform numerous gruesome methods of torture. Don’t expect a Korean version of Ichi the Killer here. The movie may be violent but not to that extreme. In fact, it’s much more the surprise of seeing how cold and violent the movie is and also how these scenes are shot that the movie really gets it’s shock factor.

. i loved the way the movie played with my emotions. i was crying in this one scene then something happens that i burst out laughing. (don't want to give anything away)

it did received praises from media and critic . one of the top best movie for that year . .even when the box office might not have been great . ^^

lol i understand what you meant . this was such a brilliant movie so imagnitative and emtional . the script and cast was amazingly great . one of the best in kmovie . . i went through the roller coaster ride when i first saw it .. two years ago. ..holding on to my pillow .wondering omg is this a horror..then it become a thriller .[some of the scenes i cant bear to watch but I WANT to but i cant bring myself to open my eyes dreading what i will witnesss :ph34r: ] .and eventually . i teared toward the end ..watching till the credits roll . .....and i cant forget how they use the song " Over the rainbow " in here..

Guest 80slitenite

it did received praises from media and critic . one of the top best movie for that year . .even when the box office might not have been great . ^^

lol i understand what you meant . this was such a brilliant movie so imagnitative and emtional . the script and cast was amazingly great . one of the best in kmovie . . i went through the roller coaster ride when i first saw it .. two years ago. ..holding on to my pillow .wondering omg is this a horror..then it become a thriller .[some of the scenes i cant bear to watch but I WANT to but i cant bring myself to open my eyes dreading what i will witnesss :ph34r: ] .and eventually . i teared toward the end ..watching till the credits roll . .....and i cant forget how they use the song " Over the rainbow " in here..

omg how could i forget that song?! lol. i heard it didn't do so well because ppl were under the impression it was a love story, which in its own way it is. lol

omg how could i forget that song?! lol. i heard it didn't do so well because ppl were under the impression it was a love story, which in its own way it is. lol

ya they did mentioned the marketing for this movie was not done properly.

ahh .maybe i will go dig out any related clips for this movie .and post it here later ..

lol did you feel you were in such a dilemna wondering should i be rooting for Mr Kang to escape or should i be cheering for Byung Gu to get him ...omg i was like ..so confused ..whose side i shd be on ~!! there was fear , panic and ...just so much thing in one scene ..ya some such hilarous moment laughing so much lol .and forget the terror of the entire situation.

....i still rem after the entire movie .my mind was going . *WOW * .totally blown away .. and i realised i was crying in the end .the emotion was too powerful ....

Guest 80slitenite

ya they did mentioned the marketing for this movie was not done properly.

ahh .maybe i will go dig out any related clips for this movie .and post it here later ..

lol did you feel you were in such a dilemna wondering should i be rooting for Mr Kang to escape or should i be cheering for Byung Gu to get him ...omg i was like ..so confused ..whose side i shd be on ~!! there was fear , panic and ...just so much thing in one scene ..ya some such hilarous moment laughing so much lol .and forget the terror of the entire situation.

....i still rem after the entire movie .my mind was going . *WOW * .totally blown away .. and i realised i was crying in the end .the emotion was too powerful ....

omg yes! even though Mr. Kang is not exactly a saint, the tortures were insane. its been a long time that a movie left such an impression on me. i try to get people to watch it. i'm trying to find Joint Security Area which has Shin Ha-Gyun. supposedly another great movie.

here the trailer on YT -->

• 3 months later...

I just finished watching this. It's really actually quite good. Though out the movie, you can't help but think that he's just a psycho but you really sympathize with him because he doesn't do things out of cold-heartedness. His motive is righteous in his own eyes and in some kind of twisted way, you really don't hate him. Really crazy/sad/twisted movie. At the end, when his memories flashed as the CEO guy looked through his journals, I felt my heart twist. And...I thought...is this young man crazy because he's right or is he crazy because he has to be? I kept questioning this. That CEO guy...why was he crying? What compelled him to cry for a man that had tortured him? And of course, the ending told me. Ah...I thought. This is a sad movie, though at first glance you might not think so. This is a movie with underlying tones that should be read. Even though it plays on over exaggerated themes, the meaning behind them is clear and painful.

--fatsoko

Archived