[Drama 2004] What Happened In Bali 발리에서 생긴 일

Guest sunshine4ever

i just finished watching this drama and i absolutely LOVED it. it was one of the best dramas i've ever watched. i love the surprise ending, not just the typical happy ending. However, i was looking for that famous scene when jo in sung shoves the fist in his mouth while he's crying, but i didnt' see it O_O does anyone know when that part comes out?

I second this question :) I'm rewatching WHIB but in FFW mode, concentrating on Jae Min, Soo Jung & Kang In Wook's interactions only. I think I must've missed the part. I think he was crying because he's asking Soo Jung not leave him? Maybe at his house? Anyone still remember the scene? Which eppie was it?

Andy did a good job mimicking JIS tho during Love Letter. I had a fit watching him, and the other Shinhwas were like "Ehhh??" - they musta havent watch WHIB :)

All in all i love the drama a lot, it introduced me to HJW and JIS, both are beautiful people. And the ending however anticlimax it is, is the best way to conclude the drama. At least by that, the three of them wont hurt each other and themselves anymore....

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest niyamit1976

i love love this drama ..one of my all time favorite but i dont really like the ending !!!

when i started watching this drama i really cant stop i need to finish it within 2 days :sweatingbullets: ...

Jo In Sung & Ha Ji Won are <333 :wub:

Guest miyaka25

whib is really a different tv drama from the rest of korean tv soap opera for me its really awesome.i like the plot its somewhat realistic.but the most important thing i came to know Hajiwon's talent and she became my number one fave.i watched bali a thousand times and up to now im still re watching it.and also i collected almost all of HAJIWON's film and drama,and i keep on re-watching them also.im addicted to her,shes stunning.hajiwon saranghaeyo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest khristine

...and after watching all those tv drama series, WHIB still remains as my favorite drama series. Nothing compares! Is there any other drama as good as this? i really wanna watch a drama with this caliber.. so well-directed and well-written.

Guest JKapamilya_dos

Guys there are rumors that Memories of Bali, with My Girl, is among the series included in the package deal made by SBS with ABS-CBN (Philippine TV network) that are to be localized sometime this year. What do you think of it?

Guest hye091

^^yes..i do agree that this is one of the best drama from what i had watch....really love the story plot as well as the cast ha ji won, jo in sung and so ji sub...i was quite shock by the ending that the main casts died..but that was unique as not many drama ended like this.. :)

And of course, phillipines should not remake this drama..

The BEST drama of them all!. Beautiful cast and awesome ost. Watched it so many times..Fell hard in love with So JiSub and Jo InSung..i so wanted to be Ha JiWon!!

Guest xx_swit_c_xx

I second this question :) I'm rewatching WHIB but in FFW mode, concentrating on Jae Min, Soo Jung & Kang In Wook's interactions only. I think I must've missed the part. I think he was crying because he's asking Soo Jung not leave him? Maybe at his house? Anyone still remember the scene? Which eppie was it?

Andy did a good job mimicking JIS tho during Love Letter. I had a fit watching him, and the other Shinhwas were like "Ehhh??" - they musta havent watch WHIB :)

All in all i love the drama a lot, it introduced me to HJW and JIS, both are beautiful people. And the ending however anticlimax it is, is the best way to conclude the drama. At least by that, the three of them wont hurt each other and themselves anymore....

well actually, he doesn't REALLY put his fist IN his mouth in the drama.. i dunno what episode it's at cuz it was a long time ago i watched it... but it's like around 2/3 or about halfway? basically it's when jo in sung and his dad are in the office.. and their dad like threatens to hurt the girl if he doesnt let her go and stop liking her.... but he is like begging for his dad to say "its okay"... but in the scene he does cry holding the dad's leg... but his fist is not in his mouth =)

the audience and shows like x-man and other varities... they just "changed" it to make it more funny and drastic lol~~

• 1 month later...
Guest joicy

Hi,

Not many people visited this thread, which is sad, but I am sure this is one of the most favorite dramas ever.

I re-watched it, for 5 for 6 times, I don't remember. The more I watch, the more I understand about characters.

Most people said that Soo Jung ruins both male leads, because of her greedy, she does not want to part with any of them. While staying with Jae Min, she misses In wook and after living with In wook, in the "dream life" in Bali, she finds out she does not belong to this world, she's not happy, because she really loves Jae Min. What a confuse! Actually after the 2nd watching, I was still considering who Soo Jung loved, or at least, who she loved the best.

But now, after the 6th time watching, I have another prospective. I have to admit Soo Jung loved both of the men, she may love In wook at first (until the very time she moved to Jae min's house, she still thought she missed In wook a lot), she never dreams she would have Jae Min (look at how Jae min treats her at first), but gradually she falls for his sincere and sacrifice.

Who says Jae min is neglectant? He's childish, he's selfish, he's obsessive, but he sacrifices for Soo Jung in his own way. There's a scene, after Soo Jung left Jaemin's apt, returns to her friend's house. Jae Min went there to say sorry, and Soo Jung thanked Jaemin for what he cares for her. In wook asked why they need to say sorry or thank you, and Soo Jung said "You don't understand that". I totally moved by this scene. In wook undertands Soo Jung a lot because he was in her shoes before, desperately looking for a rich partner to change their life, even fell for that person helplessly. But In wook can hardly understand Jae min, who's opposite.

In In wook's eyes, Jae min is playing with a poor girl like Soo Jung, Jae min is having only the bad money and that's all from him, selfish and obsessive, Jae min does not know how to love trully, to sacrifice and protect SJ. Actually, that's not true. The fact is, when Jae min stood up against his family, confesses that he loves Soo Jung, he is willing to get dreadful punishment from his family, he accepts everything he may be able to receive. But after the emotions calm down, Jae min can understand how terrible his parents' anger can get to, he knows the only way to protect SJ is not be in touch with her and following his parents. He accepts to get *misunderstanding from SJ and *blame from others, that he's nothing under his parents' power, he dares not to stand up. Actually that's his own way to stand up for SJ, and his way to protect and sacrifice for SJ. In wook lets SJ go to JM at the first half of drama, not only because he feels he's useless in helping her, but also he's afraid that his position may ruin by being attacked by JM (in the end, he's the employee, a dog following its owner). In the last 4 epi, JM lets SJ go to IW, crying and painful, it's just for SJ's sake. He did not think for himself. One indication is at the end, he can let everything go, his wealth, his company, his parents, he needs only SJ.

Soo Jung is also very pitiful. She's not just a girl who takes advantages of two men who loves her. She also got trapped between those men because of their affection to herself. She is not careless, actually, she always watches at their reaction, and because she cares for both of them, she's torn apart and does not know what is the right thing to do.

In wook is poor, this is his weakness but also his strong point. Because IW is not able to give Soo Jung what she needs, esp when she needs help, she has to go to Jae Min. In wook's painful and helpless eyes steel our heart, and firstly, Soo Jung's heart in the drama. Everytime Soo Jung turns towards Jae Min (for money, or because of his affection), she sees In wook's pain, and because she's poor too, she understands the most In wook's pain. Which stops her from going to Jae min. I think two main reasons why she dares not to go to Jae min, dares not look at him with her full self, are her pride, and In wook.

For Jae min, at first, she totally takes advantage of him. Again, besides Jae min, she missed In wook a lot. But her attitude towards him is getting changed. At first, his rudeness and neglectant towards her make her feel bad about her, but also feel good, because that's what she deserves to. She's not the 100% material girl, of course. Then gradually, when Jae min unconditionally expresses his love for her, seeing that proud man confess his love for her in front of his mom, seeing him painfully accept the fact she does not care for him, only cares about his money, but still love her. Seeing him break his own cold heart and pride, and step by step, let her in. Who can't be moved and touched? but she also sees his weakness, understands his family, and find out he can never fully protect her, and she will bring only troubles to him. When she wants to go to Jae min, he can not be with her, and she is not able either. What a tragedy.

I also love the way they develop Soo Jung's character. The more they slap at her face, push her down to the floor, the braver she is, the more she tries to stand up. She's going nearer to Jaemin, as a way to challenge his mother and fiance. Also it's an indication that she dares to stand up before Jaemin as her real self, she dares to express her true emotions and love for him. After Jae min's dad finds out and beats him drastically, Soo Jung comes to Jae min several times. She's trying to find reasons to meet him, like at the beginning, she tries to find clue to approach him, but with different purpose. She understands Jae min's love for her, and sympathizes for Jae min's conditions, she just can't help trying to see him, calling him, because she misses him so much.

Ahhh, I just found out I can keep on talking about WHIB on and on, so now is time for resting. Wave to my fellow. Anytime of the year that I need to feel good about K-dramas, I have to go back to WHIB, with my two princes SJS and JIS. And after several days, a little Coffee Prince would be great to boost up the mood . This thread would be always a warm place to visit !!

Guest Partners4Life

I totally love this drama! except the ending it was like boom! bang!...hehe. It's like they are in a rush to end it...defintely shocking.

Guest joicy

For me, the ending is real. In wook has been preparing for all of this, if you pay attention, he called the foreigner guys several times to check on Jae Min's brother's reaction, also prepared his mom and planned how he would escape. It seems a perfect plan. Just that he underestimated what Jae Min's jealousy can get to. Jae Min is so extreme person, he warned Soo Jung several time that he would not bear it anymore, he would not forgive her , etc. About Soo Jung, she's still on the edges: none of the men can give her a simple and happy life, with In wook, she can never return back to Korea, if with Jae Min, it's even more difficult, don't know what Jae Min would do without any money, hunted by his parents.

This is the definite ending for the tragedy.

Guest charlesriver

joicy, you are brave, watched Bali so many times. I know a few are so addicted to it and to the characters...

This drama is way up there on my best list too, but I rarely have the courage to rewatch it even when I start to

wonder what happened to K-dramas recently. For most, K-dramas provide fun and escape from reality that

can't be found in Bali except superb actings from all three leading actors/actress, and lots of pain!

SJS as Kang In Wook is unforgettable!

Guest barneyashley

Hi,

Not many people visited this thread, which is sad, but I am sure this is one of the most favorite dramas ever.

I re-watched it, for 5 for 6 times, I don't remember. The more I watch, the more I understand about characters.

Most people said that Soo Jung ruins both male leads, because of her greedy, she does not want to part with any of them. While staying with Jae Min, she misses In wook and after living with In wook, in the "dream life" in Bali, she finds out she does not belong to this world, she's not happy, because she really loves Jae Min. What a confuse! Actually after the 2nd watching, I was still considering who Soo Jung loved, or at least, who she loved the best.

But now, after the 6th time watching, I have another prospective. I have to admit Soo Jung loved both of the men, she may love In wook at first (until the very time she moved to Jae min's house, she still thought she missed In wook a lot), she never dreams she would have Jae Min (look at how Jae min treats her at first), but gradually she falls for his sincere and sacrifice.

It is very well analysed . I agree with you totally . I also re-watch this too many times to count and I also visit this thread often . The reason why this thread is not that big as the original infos and discusions were lost when soompi had a crash years ago , but still there are still many fans out there .

It is nice to be able to read such long thoughs of yours for this series . Please keep it coming , even though there are not so much visitors but we are still silently checking for new thoughs and feelings for this drama .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AAgurl789

She then fell for him as much as he fell for her . Line , hook and sinker … All …

She had fall in love with both men as each one had their own qualities that she could not live without one another .

Jae Min was the sun forever brightening her days with his crazy ways ,

In Wook was the moon forever gentle soothed her when she was in trouble

Jae min was the fire forever loud and arrogant , In Wook was the water forever running calmly .

Jae Min was the air giving her all the things and desired her , In Wook was the earth forever stable and would always be there for her ….

nice way of putting it..sounds kinda poetic..hehe..

I've just finished watching this drama and LOVED IT. I am in HJW and JJS obsession mode now..lol...unlike others, the ending was perfect to me. I loved the tears that SJ and those silent tears that IW shed after their confession. And then where the camera zooms where we see JM's back looking at them..first they zoom from the left side where he was holding nothing and then the right side where we see a gun..priceless!

honestly, no ending would have been happy since all of the characters were so intertwined with one another. How do you break free from a knot without hurting someone. death was the only way to end it IMO. the characters were all flawed and selfish in their own ways.

There's good and bad points to IW and JM...no wonder why SJ was confused.

Good points of JM

As an audience, of course I love JM more since we get to see his childish, arrogant, foolish side. =) His agony, anger, desperation for SJ's love. The way he dressed himself for SJ, his backpack, his drooling, his horrible cooking...=P etc...JM is the better "lover" since he can always brighten SJ's day with his charm and charisma. we also get to see his aggressiveness...and I guess some ppl are attracted to this...which is why there are more fans of SJ+JM...He was willing to show SJ how much he loved her through his constant action...willing to let her return to her old house when he saw how quiet she was...willing to beg his parents for their mercy...

We see his character evolving from a childish and arrogant man to someone who truly could give everything and anything to SJ (except for marriage). From the beginning, we see that his promiscuous life, how he was turned on by YJ in the pool...and yet by the end. His love for SJ was so deep that he completely abandoned his old self...he wouldn't even touch or let YJ touch him.

his love was so intense that he was willing to bear the burden of protecting her by leaving her...drowning his tears in alcohol.. =[

Bad pts of JM

He did love SJ with every fiber of his being...but then he was also very obsessive and aggressive towards her. He didn't want her to hang out with MA (I can excuse this since it might just be because MA kinda did insult SJ by saying that she was just a mistress and he saw that SJ was hurt)...but I didn't really like the idea of him not lettig SJ stay over other ppl's house although MA is her only friend, her only confidante. He insisted that she should dress a certain way more often to look more presentable for him. =/

I know that JM never tried to take advantage of SJ (although she was his mistress)...seeing her happy makes him happy...as long as she stays with him even though it probably (actually it did) tore him apart to know that he wasn't the first person on her speed dial #1 (for two times actually)...but when he said that "SJ is my woman...in case you haven't noticed I've already "taken" her...you really don't mind??" hmmmm..that quote just made me deduct 10 pts off of JM right off the bat since although I am no bra burning feminist...something about that quote just made me feel uneasy as if simply because she slept with him meant that she was his to possess..that she's become "lesser of a woman" because of this and that IW should mind. I can see why IW who truly knows respect would grab JM and be enraged.

instead of blaming SJ for letting JM down after his marriage...I think that JM should be blamed too. trust me, i was touched with JM's sadness when he got married...but then he was the one who "pushed" SJ away. He didn't want to see her, refused to call her, left without any words...and when she contacted hm..he said that he was too busy for her...it seemed like he wanted to end it with her..and SJ really was hurt by this. .what right does JM have to be angry with SJ when he was the one who was married and "ignored" her. He didn't want to start a relationship to protect her and yet he was unwilling to give her up...no wonder why SJ was confused on what she was supposed to do...Was she supposed to stay single for the rest of her life?

Good pts. of IW

On the other hand, I do think that IW is the better "man." He never pressured her or "abused" her. (note how many time JM pushed, shoved, violently grabbed SJ)....He understood her...and was always there for her to hold, to talk to, to lean on. When she was sick or drunk....he never abandoned her...Unlike JM, he never tried to keep her caged up like a bird (which JM did try to do with his lavish gifts)...he was willing to let her go just because he saw the sadness in her eyes...he didn't care if it meant losing her forever as long as she is happy.

Loved it that he hung the Bali picture as inspiration to succeed by his desk since it reminded him that SJ and him started at Bali..and can start a new life there.

Bad pts. of IW

His love didn't show as much as JM due to his family bg (which isn't a flaw)...but I didn't like the fact that when SJ was fired from her job. In the hallway, she looked at him..he only glanced at her for one second and went on with his business unlike JM who really was taken aback by this. That scene was just so cold...seemed like she was his last priority..I can see why SJ would be attracted to JM eventually since IW couldn't express his feelings. Maybe IW wanted to succeed to provide SJ with what she wanted...but then IW was hard to read...again, this isn't a flaw since it was just the way he was used to doing things.but from SJ's perspective..I can see why she became attraced to JM's influence, the way he revealed his love openly and freely

SJ

She's a mess and yet her actions were understandable..She was an orphan, out of luck most of the time...although both men were PINING for her day and night, 24/7...at different times..They've also "pushed" her away from their lives..JM after he was married "ignored" her and IW since he worked a lot to succeed. Of course, SJ would be confused. I'm glad that SJ could sort out her feelings in the end. It does sometime require going over the other meadow to know that the grass isn't always greener (in the case...the meadow that is right for you)..If JM hadn't done what he did in the end, she would ahve flown back to Seoul and things would have been different...

Conclusion:

I do think that IW and JM loved SJ EQUALLY (note how many times both have declared their love for SJ despite the resistance from their mothers)...and how many times they smile just because SJ is happy...I do love JM more...but I do believe that IW to be the better man since he respected her. I can't blame JM since he was had money and perhaps he was never taught that respect was also important. JM is the better "lover" in conclusion...and IW is the better "man" n conclusion.

• 3 months later...
Guest jhayanne_agassi

i loved this drama...my favorite drama of all times...i hope jo in sung and ha ji won will paired up in a movie or a drama again,they have great chemistry :)

i just wanna share to those who haven't seen this drama some of the clips and songs uploaded by some avid whib fans(thanks to themx1000 :) ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46YUti_U41s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac9VIS1Pun8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL5cMcnd_pc

ng:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLb3ZV6CCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OWro7VAJ8

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that Kang In Wook was supposed to be the male lead in this drama. But as the story progressed, fans favored the Soo Jung and Jae Min pairing. I think it's amazing how JIS, originally carrying a supportive role, managed to steal the spot light not only from a regular actor, but from So Ji Sub! Look at SJS, he's a very good actor.. but the way JIS portrayed JM made him more lovable even with his immaturities. Though I can't completely dislike KIW, it's SJS afterall! I just didn't like how cunning and greedy he was. But I can't blame him. JM's brother is making him do these illegal stuffs. In the end, JM's brother will blame everything on KIW anyway. KIW dislikes JM, and wants to take everything away from him. It may have started when his first love was stolen away from him. So he wants JM and his family to suffer.

I think the writing is brilliant, not going for the usual good and evil. I think the characters are very realistic with their flaws and weaknesses.

*Ending SPOILER*

For me, the ending was appropriate.. IW had a plan in mind episodes beofre the ending, but the last 15 minutes of the last episodes revealing how he planned and carried it out was just brilliant! JM feeling betrayed and overwhelmed with anger, completely went nuts to the point of killing the only love of his life.

Guest aegisshi

badly needed help!!!

guys, where can i watch whib online? /**except for mysoju, cuz the status now is broken. the same also goes for veoh, it takes forever to load the video.**/

Archived