Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

Ha Jung Woo & Gong Hyo Jin's '577 Project' to be released on August 30th

/Reporting by Kang Hye-In en@starnnews.com
2012-07-27 13:54

Ha Jung Woo and Gong Hyo Jin finally decided the release date of '577 Project'.

Recently, the release date of Ha Jung Woo's nation crossing real variety movie, '577 Project', was decided to August 30th.

Last year, Ha Jung Woo pledged that he will cross the entire nation on feet if he wins the Baeksang Arts Award, and it became the reality.

To keep his promise, Ha Jung Woo started planning an unprecedented project. To spare himself from the burden even by a bit, he persuaded Gong Hyo Jin, who casted in movie 'Love Fiction' with him.

From the planning and casting, he set up the entire movie all by himself, and he crossed 577km of distance with 16 actors.

It is said that the actors will be showing their hidden characters, and they will capture viewers with their 100% real looks without any scenarios.

Ha Jung Woo’s Perfect Countryside Transformation In '577 Project'

August 18, 2012 11:10 AM EDT | By Korea Portal Staff Writer

1345168252_373736.jpg
via TV Daily, Asia Today

Actor Ha Jung Woo flaunts his variety show sense with his replica of a village foreman.

On the 17th, distributing company Filament Pictures of film '577 Project' revealed a podcast titled 'Ha Jung Woo's 6:00 Hometown.'

The revealed podcast begins with Ha Jung Woo walking along the lakeside. Ha Jung Woo transforms into a countryside tour guide and explains the neighborhood attractions, "Beautiful scenery, this is Korea!"

Following, in order to brighten up the tired workers, Ha Jung Woo grabbed the town hall's microphone, "This is the head of the village. I would be grateful if you gave some snacks to the '577 Project' staff." Gong Hyo Jin and staff members, shocked at Ha Jung Woo's gagman-like voice, could not hold their laughter.

'577 Project' is the creation of Ha Jung Woo's promise to fans after being awarded 'Best Male Actor' in the film category at last year's Baek Sang Arts Awards. Ha Jung Woo stated, "Continuing from last year, if I am to be awarded again, I'll travel the country carrying the trophy." Gong Hyo Jin and 16 fellow actors joined the project, which will be released in theaters on the 30th.

July 30, 2012
Korean Film Fest in Australia rolls out ambitious 2012 line-upKOBIZ
koffia2012.jpg In only its third year, the 2012 Korean Film Festival in Australia (KOFFIA) has released its line-up, which contains a variety of contemporary classics as well as some of the Korea’s biggest blockbusters from the last two years. KOFFIA will hold screenings in three different cities across Australia from late August to early September. Panorama, the fest’s largest section and centerpiece, will screen seven features. Headlining is 2011’s undisputed box office champ <War of the Arrows> along with surprise hit <Sunny> and 2012’s Cannes selections -- HONG Sangsoo’s <In Another Country> and IM Sang-soo’s <The Taste of Money>. Rounding out the section is Korea’s 2012 Oscar submission, <The Front Line>, the senior love story <Late Blossom> and another film from the increasingly prolific HONG Sangsoo, <The Day He Arrives>. Highlighting two genres KOFFIA sees as important in contemporary Korean cinema, sections entitled K-Comedy and K-Mystery will each screen three films. K-Comedy will catch one of 2012’s biggest hits thus far, <All About My Wife>, and also jump back in time for the popular 2011 film <DETECTIVE K: Secret of Virtuous Widow> and <Sunny> director KANG Hyoung-chul’s smashing debut, <Speedy Scandal>. K-Mystery unsurprisingly takes a darker turn with <The Yellow Sea>, starring HA Jung-woo, critical darling <Bleak Night> and the shocking tale of school abuse that was based on a true story, <Silenced>. KOFFIA’s Modern Classics this year will include two films from 2003, PARK Chan-wook’s <Oldboy> and KIM Ki-duk’s <Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and... Spring>, along with HUR Jin-ho’s quintessential melodrama, 1998’s <Christmas in August>. The fest’s Documentary section will also feature dk dk KIM Ki-duk, screening his Cannes-winning <Arirang>. Completing the section is the musical-social chronicle of singer Baek-ja ,<The Reason Why I Step>, and the Italian-produced <Through Korean Cinema>, which is based on in-depth interviews with five contemporary Korean directors. New to 2012 is the Animation section, which will feature two wildly different films -- the family-friendly Myung Films hit <Leafie: A Hen into the Wild> and YEUN Sang-ho’s dark and ultra-violent <THE KING OF PIGS>. Finally, KOFFIA will offer two short film sections. The first, the International Short Film Showcase, features 13 recent shorts including festival fare such as KIM Seok-young’s <Anesthesia>, YOON Ki-nam’s <The Metamorphosis> and 2011 Cannes invitee <Ghost>. The second section, the KOFFIA Short Film Competition, is the fest’s sole competition and will screen a variety of Australian shorts that relate to Korea in some fashion -- whether by virtue of their filmmakers, actors, language or topic -- and award cash prizes to the top films, actors and actresses. KOFFIA 2012 will be running in Sydney from August 22-28, Melbourne from September 8-12 and Brisbane from September 27-30. Check http://koffia.com.au/ for more details.

August 1, 2012

Gong, Ha returning in road trip flick
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

20120801001105_0.jpg
Actress Gong Hyo-jin (left) and actor Ha Jung-woo star in the upcoming film “577 Project.” (Filament Pictures)

Actor Ha Jung-woo and actress Gong Hyo-jin, who together starred in last year’s box office hit “Love Fiction,” will once again co-star in an upcoming road trip film, “577 Project.”

The film is a portrayal of Ha and Gong’s real-life walking trip from Seoul to Haenam, South Jeolla Province, which took them 20 days in total.

Ha had promised to walk cross-country at the 46th Paeksang Arts Awards in 2010, where he won best actor for “Take Off,” if he ever won best actor again. The actor was given the same Paeksang award in 2011 for his role in “The Yellow Sea.”

To keep his word, Ha got other actors and actresses, including Gong Hyo-jin, to join him on the 577 kilometer-long journey. The film will focus on the humorous moments of tension between Ha and Gong as they begin to regret their exhausting journey. 

“577 Project” is slated to open in theaters on Aug. 30.

• 2 weeks later...

August 15, 2012

Celebrity couple back in friend zone
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

One of the nation’s most prominent celebrity couples has decided to call it quits after 10 years.

Kong Hyo-jin spoke to Ilgan Sports yesterday and confirmed the break-up with Ryu Seung-bum.

“We dated for 10 years, so in many ways it was time for it to end,” Kong said.

She also denied the rumor that she was involved with her co-star Ha Jung-woo from “Love Fiction.”

“It’s so frustrating that people assume that I’m seeing Jung-woo. Really, if you need a reason, it’s because I just wanted to take some time off from being in a relationship.” 

Kong said that the two will remain as friends, as they’ve been each other’s best friends and supporters in the industry. On Ryu’s birthday last week, Kong said that she contacted him to wish him all the best.

Kong and Ryu were elementary school friends and became lovers after starring together in the 2001 SBS drama “Wonderful Days” as well as in the movie “Conduct Zero” (2002). In 2003, they broke up for a while but got back together in 2006.

August 16, 2012

Korean Movies Find New Recipe for Success
ChosunIlbo

2012081600763_0.jpg

A series of successful domestic films at the box office hints at the changing face of Korean cinema. "The Thieves," which was released on July 25 amid great expectations with its heist movie plot and star-studded cast, has attracted almost 10 million viewers in only three weeks. "The Grand Heist" also drew one million moviegoers earlier this week despite its lack of rave reviews. 

The trend has been developing since the start of the year. Domestic films drew 44.17 million spectators in the first half of 2012, up 34.6 percent from the same period last year. This even beats the previous record high of 41.48 million viewers in the first half of 2006. 

In total, 18 Korean movies have now drawn more than one million viewers each so far this year, compared to 16 over the same period in 2011 and 13 in 2010. So what is the driving force behind this trend? 

◆ Diversification of Genres 

Local moviegoers used to prefer comedies or action movies, but these days their interest is spread more evenly across the genres. Although romantic comedies and melodramas were in the past regarded as unlikely to score a huge hit at box office here, "All About My Wife" and "Architecture 101" attracted more than four million viewers each this year. Meanwhile, "Unbowed," a courtroom drama based on a true-life incident, proved its commercial success by selling 3.42 million tickets. 

"Ten years ago, moviegoers were divided into two distinct types: people who like Hollywood movies, and those who like Korean movies. But as many people have become familiar with a variety of genres of American movies and dramas, local audiences tend to prefer domestic films that contain elements of Hollywood genres tailored to Korean tastes," said film critic Jeon Chan-il. 

◆ Star-Studded Casts

"The Thieves" has 10 lead actors, while "The Grand Heist" has 11. Even melodramas and romantic comedies, which used to rely on one leading actor and actress, now often have three or four actors in starring roles. At the same time, it is increasingly common to see major stars play supporting roles. 

"In the past, many viewers were attracted to movies based on their plot, but now they like character-oriented movies with a good story. Movies that have many leading characters or supporting characters with distinct personalities are also getting popular," said Kim Ho-sung, CEO of production company REALise. 

◆ Mature Audiences

As producers have raised the target age group from teenagers and people in their 20s to those in their 30s and over, movies are naturally attracting a more diverse audience. 

According to ticket sales data for "The Thieves" compiled by Korea's largest movie site Maxmovie, 26 percent of those who watched the movie were in their 20s, 40 percent were in their 30s and 31 percent in their 40s. In the case of "Architecture 101," 24 percent were in their 20s, 45 percent in their 30s and 28 percent in their 40s. The bulk of viewers who went to see "All About My Wife," or 45 percent, were also in their 30s.

The combined number of spectators in their 30s and 40s now far outstrips those in their 20s, and this demographic can be seen as playing a leading role in Korean movies' raging success at home.

Korea Cinema Today

On location with THE 577 PROJECT (working title)

On location with KONG Hyo-jin and HA Jung-woo as they shoot a wild “real variety film”     cURPcXUBrNmorHlSFvkZ.jpg

HA Jung-woo and KONG Hyo-jin went on a walking trip across the whole of Korea, from Seoul to Haenam. It’s a distance of 577 kilometers and the entire trip was filmed as a ‘real variety movie’. This is enough to tweak many people’s curiosity. The journey lasted from the 15th of November until the 4th of December, for twenty days, covering Seoul, Asan, Gongju, Nonsan, Imshil, Damyang, Gwangju, Youngam and Haenam. This is the on-location report of the tough journey.

“If I get the award, I’ll take the trophy on a walking trip across the whole of Korea!” This was what HA said at The 47th Baeksang Arts Awards Ceremony on 26th May, 2011. He was speaking as someone giving out an award and also one of the candidates for the Best Actor Award. HA Ji-Won, who was standing next to him on the stage had asked him, “If you win the award again this time, what about making a public promise to the people of Korea?” At these words, HA had made the promise to go on the trip and the words he uttered in public at the awards ceremony came back to haunt him, compelling him to carry out the promise. This is how HA embarked on this unique, rather unusual project. 
He then looked for a partner who would help him keep his public promise. He knew it had to be someone who could help him out on the journey. He put out the bait to KONG Hyo-jin, who had worked with him on Love Fiction, and she bit. HA Jung-woo was in charge of three aspects of the production including planning, acting and casting. KONG Hyo-jin joined HA Jung-woo on a journey along with 16 other actors. They walked 577 kilometers together, showing their unadorned selves. It will be the first time for many to see Korea’s stars displayed ‘raw’ this way. KONG Hyo-jin is seen with no make-up and we see HA Jung-woo who is lying on the road, having taken off his socks. They appear in this film in a frank, natural state and the whole journey is seen in its 100% raw state.     An Interesting Tidbit 
What’s behind the title ‘577’? 
zphtwILwslRBeAorDNZX.jpgzOraUFhAaDUJUGuqjZQo.jpg

The story behind the title of this project, ‘577’ is an interesting story. First, HA himself gave the project its title for the following reasons. First, the name of a fusion bar that he likes to frequent is ‘Shinsa-dong 577’. Secondly, the distance the actors walked on the journey was exactly 577 kilometers. And finally, the address at which HA lived as an unknown, struggling actor was 577. Due to these incredible coincidences, the title of the project had to be ‘577’. HA says the reason why he picked 16 other actors was to give himself “an opportunity to learn from his junior actors. I thought this would be a rare chance to learn from them and also give them advice as we walked together.” The 577 Project is set to be released on August 30th.  
On the road to reality
What the actors did on the road!

xTxYEDIGKsmbQbivTbPQ.jpg  
1. On the 4th shoot | Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province
It’s a shot taken after they left the Millennium Nature School, heading towards Pyeongtaek Station. It’s morning and the road doesn’t seem to end. The actors look totally unadorned. After having done the third shoot the previous day, they’d walked 35 kilometers that day. Despite having consumed a huge hamburger in Pyeongtaek, KONG realizes that it was a mistake to join HA on the journey. What she says about having lost her mind is a fair indication of her feelings then. Due to the tough stretch of walking that day, there were even late-risers the following morning.         upfECGMhhCOpHyeTCqwk.jpg  
2. On the 15th Shoot | The Metasequoia Road, Damyang
They have left the inn in Damyang and are on their way to the Red Cross Training Center in Gwangju. They’re on the famous Metasequoia Road in Damyang. There is another way to get to the same destination which is the Old Road next to the New Road. The Metasequoia Road is a long road and everyone looks worn out despite it only being early morning. The most tired team member is HAN Seong-cheon, who everyone expects to drop out. The others decide to film him in secret and a complicated web of intrigue involving a secret film is set. HA is the only one who knows everything about the scheme and he’s walking confidently ahead of everyone.        TzCdQfznJLxsSneANqWZ.jpg  
3. On the 17th Shoot | Wolchul Mountain, Youngam
This still cut was also used for the teaser poster and it was taken at the Samyang Temple in Naju, South Jeolla Province. The team is on their way to the inn on Wolchul Mountain in Youngam. The name of the road is ‘Beautiful Road’ and it’s morning. There are hardly any cars on the road and everyone is taking a well-deserved rest. It rained lightly for a while and poured down from the afternoon. KONG and everyone started taking photos of the beautiful Wolchul Mountain and HA couldn’t stop exclaiming how magnificent it looked. HA, in a happy mood, visits the local village hall and did a wonderful impersonation of the local village chief, making everyone laugh. As they get nearer to the 20th day of shooting, the team took a group photo against the backdrop of the mountain. They all agreed that it was the most beautiful spot on the whole journey.        HxAyOWYjZKAcLFDbvuzp.jpg  
4. On the 20th Shoot | Haenam, South Jeolla Province
They’re on Samnam Road in Haenam, South Jeolla Province. Construction work is in progress to make roads that can enable people to walk all the way to Haenam, letting them avoid big roads for cars, and the team is walking on the unfinished road. Tomorrow is the last day of filming and everyone seems happy but they also fall into deep thoughts.          iSfkqOkgzzyazZqhywMz.jpg  
5. On the 20th Shoot | Songho Beach, Haenam
The team is entering the beach in Haenam, the southernmost area on the Korean Peninsula. The beach was chosen as the place of reunion for the actors and their families. This beach is about a five minute drive from the main part of Haenam. HA, ectatic that he’s finally made it, jumps into the cold, wintery sea with some other team members. You can also check out the moving scenes of the actors meeting their families in the film.

Official website: http://www.577project.co.kr/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/577project
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/577project
iTunes podcasts: http://itunes.apple.com/kr/podcast/577peulojegteu-gongsig-paskaeseuteu/id550868006

30-sec trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8bTT8P47tY

1-min trailer

Alternate links:
/ YouTube
/

Alternate link: YouTube

KBS2 'I Love Movie'

MBC 'Let's Go! Video Tour'

SBS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaR3XUyyRCI

61089555.jpg
577poster.jpg
18382327.jpg
48357540.jpg
movieimage.jpg
movieimage003.jpg
movieimage004.jpg
movieimage005.jpg
movieimage007.jpg
credit: http://blog.naver.com/choisky77/40162949273

Gong Hyo Jin, “There is business ethics. Absolutely can’t go out with Ha Jung Woo”

By Ceridwen – August 20, 2012
Kpop Fever

741221957_e6B8s4Qu_IMG_0279.jpg
741221957_ytkq0RIO_IMG_0312.jpg
741221957_I69OThfj_IMG_0335.jpg
credit: heymannews | More photos: Chosun Ilbo

Gong Hyo Jin confessed to feeling frustrated with the rumors that she is dating Ha Jung Woo.

At the VIP press screening of documentary ’577 Project’ at Seoul CGV Wangshipri Wangshimni on August 20th, Gong Hyo Jin clarified about the break up with Ryu Seung Bum after 10 years together as well as the rumors that she is in a relationship with Ha Jung Woo.

Gong Hyo Jin said that even though they broke up, she is still friends with Ryu Seung Bum. Then she also went on to explain, “From the beginning of this year, there were rumors of a relationship after shooting ‘Love Fiction’ together but it just continued. After breaking up with Ryu Seung Bum, the rumors of dating got worse. I thought that I needed to decisively make a statement to clarify. The rumors that I am dating Ha Jung Woo are absolutely not true.”

Ha Jung Woo also said, “I feel cautious about saying something about this situation also. I am shooting a movie with Ryu Seung Bum and I also know director Ryu Seung Wan (Ryu Seung Wan is Ryu Seung Bum’s brother). They are people that I was very close to before I became friends with Gong Hyo Jin. It seems kind of funny to say ‘Everyone it’s not true. You know that, right?’”

Gong Hyo Jin further shared, “There is business ethics in the entertainment industry too. It’s not like Hollywood for me to be dating Ha Jung Woo in a situation like this. Knowing that he is close friends with Ryu Seung Bum, why would I insist on dating him going against ethics? Ha Jung Woo’s like a cousin. It can’t be.”

[Video] Ha Jung Woo, "I Am Not Dating Gong Hyo Jin"
Actor Ha Jung Woo along with actress Gong Hyo Jin attended a press conference for upcoming film, “577 Project” at the Seoul Wangshimni on August 20. “This is a good chance for me to talk about the recent rumor. I am not dating Gong so I hope this rumor stops happening”, Ha said during the interview.

August 24, 2012 - VIP premiere

20120824_1345809173_77483100_1.jpg
20120824220251771.jpg
20120824_1345809402_00302300_1.jpg
201208242118352610_1.jpg
2012082421305481506_1.jpg
2012082421321288353_1.jpg
credit as labeled + Nate

Gong Hyo Jin says, "I got further with Ha Jung Woo after shooting '577 Project'"

/Reporting by Kang Hye-In en@starnnews.com
2012-08-13 10:36

Gong Hyo Jin revealed a hidden story with Ha Jung Woo.

On 12th, Gong Hyo Jin appeared on MBC 'Section TV' with Ha Jung Woo, and had an interview about movie '577 Project'.

Ha Jung Woo told a story about making a special pledged during the Baeksang Arts Awards in 2011, and how he had to walk across the entire nation.

Ha Jung Woo said, "I was in the middle shooting 'Love Fiction', and I just made a suggestion." Gong Hyo Jin said, "I thought he was joking."

Ha Jung Woo continued, "I could get closer to Gong Hyo Jin while shooting '577 Project'," but Gong Hyo Jin said, "He doesn't know, but we were bullying him. We got further."

On the other hand, movie '577 Project' is a documentary movie about 16 members walking 577km distance, from the southern sea of Korea up to Seoul.

August 12, 2012 - MBC 'Section TV'

201208051310341110_1.jpg
via Newsen

20120812175555930l3_182522_0.jpg
via TV Daily

20120812171840223e7_172309_0.jpg
via Newsen

20120812170430965e7_170932_0.jpg
via Newsen

20120812171505222e7_171641_0.jpg
via Newsen, Review Star

August 22, 2012 - SBS  'One Night of TV Entertainment'

20120823_1345653738_82304700_1.jpg
via TV Report

201208222116180610_1.jpg
via Newsen

201208222207370410_1.jpg
via Newsen

201208222122774836_1.jpg
via OSEN

201208222046775773_1.jpg
via OSEN

Ha Jung Woo reveals his hidden humorous character

/Reporting by Son Jin-Ah en@starnnews.com

Ha Jung Woo revealed his humorous character that he has been hiding for so long.

On 22nd, the third podcast of movie '577 Project' was released.

Two podcasts were revealed so far, and in the third one, Ha Jung Woo appeared as the main MC, acting out different scenes just by himself with his great ad-libs, and there were no written scripts.

Furthermore, a number of interesting scenes from '577 Project' that showed Ha Jung Woo's one-man show were revealed during the premiere that was recently held, and Ha Jung Woo's humorous character that has not been revealed yet is becoming a hot issue among the fans.

On the other hand, '577 Proejct' will be released on 30th.

August 22, 2012 - ‘하숙Show’

2012082310525869_1_rstarbmn.jpg

23376353.jpg 

Why Ha Jung Woo Walked Across the Nation with Gong Hyo Jin

2012-08-28 12:03  l   CJ E&M enewsWorld Jeon Su Mi

m0828_04.jpg

So how and why did Ha Jung Woo get Gong Hyo Jin to join him for his upcoming film?

On the August 27 broadcast of SBS’ Healing Camp, Ha Jung Woo explained how he had come to cast actress Gong Hyo Jin for the film 577 Project.

No matter what others might think, it wasn’t all because of the success in film that seemed to follow Gong Hyo Jin around.

“I starred in the film Love Fiction with Gong Hyo Jin, and I felt she also was tired of everyday life,” he said. “According to Gong Hyo Jin, her ‘mind was parched’. After seeing her often say things like that on set, I thought it would be nice to have her along.”

It was a journey that started from a simple offer and a sudden promise, but the trip itself wasn’t all that simple. He and his team walked 577km in 21 days.

Ha Jung Woo said, “It was so hard even some male staff members were brought to tears. Later on, they would burst out crying every time I put on the music. Hyo Jin also cried a lot. I wasn’t expecting a lot from her. I thought she would walk about five days, but she stayed with us to the end.”

The actor also said he was pressured by the film’s story, which only involved walking, walking and more walking. He did, however, get to try out many different things.

He used everything which came to mind in case the film would become too boring, and set up sections such as ‘Gong Hyo Jin’s fashion tips’, using the fashionista Gong Hyo Jin’s strengths to fuel the film. He even parodied SBS’ matchmaking program Match, but “the only thing that made it to the film after editing was the talk show ‘Ha Sook Show.’”

Actor Ha Jung Woo talks about the hard time he has filming “Project 577”

By Korea Star Daily via Yahoo - Tue, Aug 28, 2012 7:15 PM

Actor Ha Jung Woo guested on August 27th broadcast of of SBS TV's live talk show “Healing Camp” and discussed about the reason behind he want to be part of his upcoming documentary film, “Project 577”.

Ha Jung Woo's exceptional performance in “The Chaser” and “War Against Crime” attracted audiences' attention, and he is back with another new movie, “Project 557” and talks about the fun stuffs behind the scenes.

The actor has been hectic about his filming schedule, he has shot four movies within these two years, he talked about why he accept the role for “Project 557” and said, “I'm afraid one day I will lose interest and passion for movie making.”

There is not an easy task at all for shooting this film, I walk from Seoul to down south for 577km, and I have been walking for a total of 21 days, and this makes this movie a PG 15.

Meanwhile, Ha Jung Woo's interview will be featured in “Healing Camp” that airs on August 27th at 11:15 local time.

August 27, 2012 - SBS 'Healing Camp'

miip00ng201208280936220.jpg
via Hankook Ilbo

201208280013100510_1.jpg
via Newsen

201208280053090510_1.jpg
via Newsen

2012082810401597658_01_649.jpg
via MTN

2012082807271316_1_rstarkja.jpg
via Review Star

mt_1346122023_1963044693_0.jpg
via Money Today

201208280834030510_1.jpg
via Newsen

eb9c5f09e93ee9129547d372cc1721b5.jpg
via Wstar News

August 30, 2012

'577 Project' wraps truth in laughter
By Kwaak Je-yup The Korea Times

08311609.jpg
Actors Ha Jung-woo, front left, and Gong Hyo-jin, front right, star in “577 Project,” 
an uncategorizable film masterminded by Ha and directed by Lee Keun-woo. 
While these two bare just their feet and not much else personally, the film delivers 
 critique of the state of Korea’s film industry. / Courtesy of Dasepo Club

Categorizing this film is a perplexing job; the promoters are describing it as a “real variety movie,” which does not help.

“577 Project,” masterminded by Korea’s most in-demand actor Ha Jung-woo and directed by relative newcomer Lee Keun-woo, claims to be a documentary about Ha and his friend trekking for 577 kilometers, from Seoul to Haenam, South Jeolla Province, the peninsula’s southernmost point.

But after 99 admittedly entertaining minutes, one is left with a pang of confusion. There is no discernible message, just a vaguely warm, fuzzy feeling instead. Those fans of Ha and Gong Hyo-jin (his co-star in Jeon Kye-soo’s “Love Fiction” earlier this year) hoping to get an intimate look at their favorite stars will walk out disappointed. So what is the point?

At last year’s Baeksang Arts Awards, Ha, winner of the Best Actor honor in 2010, promised on live TV that he would complete this cross-country trip if he were to win two consecutive years. He did and made this film. It still does not say what justifies this movie.

There is the trek itself, with a mission of self-discovery, but we see more of them complaining about how difficult it is during their rest stops than actual walking. There is the dubious decision to hire 15 actors to join Ha and pay them according to the number of days they spend on the trip. (How do we know if they are not acting?) Finally, there is the important plot twist that enigmatic Ha forces upon the team that makes the whole affair seem like a dishonest vanity project as serious as celebrity reality TV.

But the answer seems to lie in the sporadic commercial breaks that the actors enact: it is a story about the financial difficulties that non-mainstream actors and producers face in Korean cinema. With the exception of Ha and Gong, the rest (aside from breakout star Kim Sung-kyun, who plays the serial killer in last weekend’s No. 1 movie, “The Neighbor”) are virtual unknowns. Snippets of their life stories are inserted throughout the movie, showing the realities of non-celebrity, non-bankable actors.

Commercial interests do not leave the screen for a minute. There are obvious product placements, most saliently the actors’ colorful outdoor gear stamped with logos. Commercials for the likes of ramen noodles show how difficult it is to fund a project like this.

“577 Project” succeeds in implanting these thoughts in the audience by taking such an open stance on financial matters, but it ultimately fails to be more than light comedy because each actor does not get enough time to sufficiently relate to; 16 actors are too many.

Even for the promotion of this film, the local media have showered the limelight exclusively on Ha and Gong, riding high on an unsubstantiated rumor of romance kindling between them. 

But they actually make the least interesting presence in the film. Both are known as much for their inscrutability as their acting skills, and they lend nothing but just their famous faces. Others shine, albeit too briefly. Han Sung-chun, an acting hopeful without a job, Lee Ji-hoon, daytime soap opera star, and Ha Seok, a TV audition contestant, leave the most lasting impressions.

So casting directors, come watch this film and hire them for your upcoming shoots.

“577 Project” is currently in theaters nationwide. Runs for 99 minutes. Rated for 15 and over. Distributed by Filament Pictures.

August 30, 2012

Korean shortlists possible Oscar submissions
High hopes for a Best Foreign Language Film nomination

by JANG Sung-ran / KOBIZ

masquerade_oscar2.jpg

The Korean Film Council (KOFIC) has announced its shortlist films from which it will choose a submission to the 85th Academy Awards, organized by the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which will take place in February 2013. Submitted from August 13th to 17th, the shortlist submissions include IM Sang-soo’s The Taste of Money, KIM Ki-duk’s Pieta, CHOO Chang-min’s Masquerade, YOON Jong-bin’s Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time and HONG Sang-soo’s In Another Country.

KOFIC stated that since there were only five submissions, they will skip the first round of the usual selection process will not take place and that it will move straight onto the second round, where the quality of the films, the predicted success of the film’s North American release, and the international recognition level of the director and the film are all discussed. The "quality" determination has two components, namely, an assessment by experts from the U.S. (40%) and an assessment from their Korean counterparts (60%).

The final sum of the two selection process will be added up for the final scores. The American selection panel will be made up of three people with expert knowledge of the Oscar selection process and Korean cinema and the selection will begin on 1st September for four days. The main part of the selection process in Korea will be based on the regulations set by Korean Film Council and the panel will comprise of 5 people with expert knowledge of Korean cinema who have no direct connection to the submissions.

The submission criteria for the Academy Awards Foreign Language Film section states that the films have to have been released in Korea between 1st October 2011 and 30th September 2012 and they have to have at least 7 consecutive days of screening at a commercial theater. The films have to have been screened at least three times a day and charging admission fees. Past Oscar submissions from Korea include Mother(2009), A Barefoot Dream(2010) and The Front Line(2011) but none of them won the Oscar.

• 4 weeks later...

September 23, 2012

Fun and MeaningfulKey facts about 5 films of September 2012
by Ji Yong-jin  KOFIC Films released between late August and early September have been gaining positive responses from audiences. Each of them in different genre and different colors is very characteristic. Let’s see what points we should focus on when watching them.
◇ Pieta
Pieta_zps2651aed8.jpgKim Ki-duk communicates with the publicSeptember 6 | Director Kim Ki-duk | Main Cast Cho Min-su, Lee Jung-jin  | 104 min | 18+
Kim Ki-duk is back after a long hiatus. It has been 4 years since Dream (2008). Although ARIRANG was screened at the 5th CINDI Film Festival last year, he officially had a 4-year break because none of his films have been in theater in the mean time. This is noticeable for several reasons. First, Pieta is the first film he presents to the public after a long years of hiatus. Second, it is the film that brought Kim the Golden Lion, the highest prize at the competition section of the 69th Venice Film Festival. Last and most importantly, he finally broke out of the image of an 'isolated and disconnected' man and approached the public one step closer. Some critics even say the world of Kim's work can be divided into pre- and post-Pieta. Boosted by the winning of the Golden Lion, Pieta has attracted 350 thousand audiences to theaters and it is likely to run much longer.  ◇ Masquerade
Masquerade_zps591ef6e0.jpgAmazing performance by Lee Byung-hunSeptember 13 | Director Choo Chang-min | Main Cast Lrr Byung-hun, Ryu Seung-ryong, Han Hyo-joo | 131 min | 14+   From the first scene where a moody king pretties himself up, every frame of Masquerade is an eye catcher. Without hesitating, the story quickly develops to the point where a jester Ha-sun is disguised as Prince Gwanghae. Through the masquerade, the director delivers the message that 'the fake can be more real than the real' in the end. It is when the jester with a very low social status seemingly deserves to be a king more than the real king that the film reaches the climax. It is a political satire, comedy, and melodrama at the same time. Inspired by 'The Prince and the Beggar', a novel by Mark Twain, this film is a faction, a modified story of the history. The entire 131 minutes never get boring. That certainly by virtue of the actors. Lee Byung-hun's acting especially outstanding. He definitely dominates the film. ◇ Grape Candy
GrapeCandy_zpsdc1e7a6a.jpgA ballad for the leftSeptember 6 | Director, Scriptwriter Kim Hee-jung | Main Cast Park Jin-hee Park Ji-yun, KimJeong-nan | 104 min | 14+   This is Kim Hee-jung's second feature film. After The Wonder Years, she once again took a close look at wounded souls. While The Wonder Years was a coming-of-age film about an orphaned girl, Grape Candy talks about grown-ups hurt by their past. Seon-ju (Park Jin-hee) one day bumps into So-ra (Park Ji-yun), who was a friend back in middle school until they graduated 17 years ago, but Seon-ju doesn't feel good about it. They go to Busan together without speaking out something they might want to. As Jeong-eun (Kim Jeong-nan), sister of another old friend Yeo-eun joins them there, their emotions become complicated. This film focuses on speaking out about wounds rather than reconciling each other. It deals with the pain and influence of deep-rooted misunderstanding and wounds. After all, Grape Candy is a film that soothes the feelings of the survivors from an accident.   ◇ The 577 Project
577Project_zps3444e01e.jpgThis is the name of realityAugust 30 | Director Lee Keun-woo | Main Cast Ha Jung-woo, Kong Hyo-jin | 99 min | 14+    He should have watched his mouth. At an awarding ceremony in 2010, Ha Jung-woo officially said, "If I win the Best Actor's Award, I will walk through the entire nation.", which came true. From Seoul Arts Center to Haenam, the south end of Korean peninsula, he started 577km long journey. Kong Hyo-jin, he co-starred in Love Fiction somehow got involved in the project and then it became a rolling snowball. This is how this documentary about the 22 days of journey was made. There was even no scenario. This is the name of reality film. The stars are exposed to the camera without make-ups. As the participants get exhausted, the viewers start to see what they could see from the stars before. After the journey is over, Ha repeated the same mistake by saying he would do it again.  ◇ Young Gun in the Time
YoungGun_zps4cd9c6b1.jpgExciting and wild imagination08.30 | Director Oh Yeong-du | Main Cast Hong Yeong-geun, Choi Song-hyeon, Ha Eun-jeong | 95 min | 18+   Because the budget is low, doesn’t mean imagination should by hindered. Young Gun in the Time is a film that cheerfully resists the conditions. Director Oh Yeong-du and leading actors Hong Yeong-geun, Ha Eun-jeong are members of a film creation group ‘Kino Mangosteen’. All the members switch their role between director and actor, and sometimes they even become staff. ‘Kino Mangosteen’ have already proved that they can make interesting films with low budget when they made The Neighbor Zombie (2009) and Invasion of Alien Bikini (2010). Their films don’t have a certain format. The settings are ridiculous and they don’t even belong to any certain genre. But they are definitely fun. ‘Fun Films’ might be the most simple but honest expression to describe ‘Kino Mangosteen’ films.

• 1 month later...

October 26, 2012

Ha Jung-woo Prepares to Direct Comedy

ChosunIlbo

2012102600601_0.jpg

Actor Ha Jung-woo has written a comedy about passengers on a plane who survive a violent storm during a flight from Tokyo to Gimpo. Ha will also direct the movie, which as of yet has no official title, marking his first foray behind the camera. 

It will be released in the second half of 2013. 

"I've wanted to study more about film for quite a while, so I'm seizing on this opportunity to don the director's cap rather than act," he said through his agency on Thursday.

• 3 weeks later...

November 15, 2012

Ha Jung-woo is a 'Chaser' in real life

By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

15210839.jpg

Ha Jung-woo, the star of the movie “Chaser” (2008), ran after and stopped a car that hit him and attempted to flee the scene.

His agency revealed on Wednesday that two days earlier, Ha was walking across a pedestrian crosswalk in Apgujeong, southern Seoul, at around 10:30 p.m. when a car driven by a man named Kim grazed the actor.

As the driver proceeded to speed away, Ha ran 200 meters (650 feet) after the vehicle, took down the registration number and alerted the police.

The authorities looked into the matter and said that Kim was unaware that he had hit Ha.

Fantagio Entertainment said that Ha was slightly injured and is currently settling the matter with the driver.

Ha is used to making headlines for different reasons. In March, the talented entertainer, who dabbles in the fine arts, exhibited his paintings at the Insa Art Center in Gwanhun-dong, central Seoul. 

The main piece was a mix of pop art and expressionism.

• 4 weeks later...

^lol! love that story.

...anyway.

Ha Jung-woo’s Upcoming Action Flick to Open in 2013

10Asia Reporter: Lee Hye-ji Editor: Kim Nemo    

&f=AS10aUq5TqGaDbHTJLhz8diBz8Hg.jpg&v=6&
Actor Ha Jung-woo, who takes a main role Pyo Jong-sung in upcoming action film `THE BERLIN FILE,` poses in the picture from the movie`s first teaser video released on December 12, 2012. [CJ E&M]

&f=AS10vkIRfdAi9.jpg&v=6&x=555
Actor Han Suk-kyu, who takes a main role Jung Jin-soo in upcoming action film `THE BERLIN FILE,` poses in the picture from the movie`s first teaser video released on December 12, 2012. [CJ E&M]

&f=AS10oeudSvYoKLtrHn.jpg&v=6&x=555
Actor Ryoo Seung-beom, who takes a main role Dong Myung-soo in upcoming action film `THE BERLIN FILE,` poses in the picture from the movie`s first teaser video released on December 12, 2012. [CJ E&M]

&f=AS10rVDfn9Fwi1dYkrfsy8yBo8pJPPnx7.jpg
Actress Jun Ji-hyun, who takes a main role Ryeon Jung-hee in upcoming action film `THE BERLIN FILE,` poses in the picture from the movie`s first teaser video released on December 12, 2012. [CJ E&M]

"THE BERLIN FILE", an action flick with A-list stars such as Ha Jung-woo, Han Suk-kyu, Ryoo Seung-beom and Jun Ji-hyun is to open next year.

The film’s producing firm CJ Entertainment has confirmed the release schedule for the new actioner “THE BERLIN FILE” to be in the first half of 2013, unveiling the first teaser trailer online on December 12.

The 30-second clip features the four main characters’ dynamic action sequences amongst bomb explosions and gun fires set in the modern but bleak landscape of present-day Berlin.

Helmed by acclaimed director Ryoo Seung-wan of “The Unjust” (2011), the big-scale movie centers around a North Korean intelligence agent Pyo Jong-sung [played by Ha] and his wife Ryeon Jung-hee [Jun], a woman with many secrets.

When a South Korean National Intelligence Service agent Jung Jin-soo [Han] and a spy Dong Myung-soo [Ryoo] follow one another due to a mysterious conspiracy, the four agents from the two Koreas start a life-and-death chasing game in Berlin.

Expectations about the forthcoming film are high; the two actors playing the North Korea agents, Ryoo and Ha, spent weeks learning to speak English with a British accent to make their characters seem more authentic.

First stills: http://twitchfilm.com/2012/12/first-teaser-and-stills-for-korean-spy-thriller-the-berlin-file.html

• 1 month later...

Kang Dong-won and Ha Jung-woo confirm Band of Thieves
by girlfriday, December 14, 2012
[...]
The two actors have signed on to play mortal enemies in a 19th-century story about a Robin Hood type of character (or Iljimae, or Hong Gil-dong — take your stealin’-from-the-rich-to-give-to-the-poor hero archetype pick) who rises up in an oppressed society.

It’s the fourth project from director Yoon Jong-bin, of this year’s hit film Nameless Gangster (aka War With Criminals: The Golden Age of Bad Guys), and also Beastie Boys, and The Unforgiven. He has the uncommon distinction of being four-for-four with projects starring Ha Jung-woo, which naturally sent me on a google mission to figure out what the connection is. Turns out they went to the same university, and are only a year apart in age, which explains a whole lot. So Ha Jung-woo is his film school sunbae, explaining why he’d star in every single one of this guy’s movies, even when he was an unknown (though now of course he’s a hot commodity). Aaaaaand now the world makes sense again.

Anyway, the movie is set in 19th-century Joseon, and will be about a power struggle between the corrupt wealthy noblemen who run society and a band of thieves that rises up to challenge them. Ha Jung-woo plays the hero, Dol Moo-chi, a butcher who forms a makeshift family of thieves that sets out on a mission to change the lives of the oppressed people. Kang Dong-won plays the richest nobleman’s son, Jo-yoon, the best swordsman in the land. But it turns out he isn’t acknowledged by his father because he’s the son of a concubine, and lives a wayward life because of it.

source:dramabeans.com

• 3 weeks later...

January 22, 2013
Movie Review 'The Berlin File' entertains with spectacular action scenes
By Shim Sun-ah The YonhapNews
SEOUL, Jan. 22 (Yonhap) -- For fans of action films, the new Korean movie "The Berlin File" should be a real treat. The film is directed by Ryu Seung-wan, known for his unique style of action films, and stars top actors such as Ha Jung-woo, Han Suk-kyu, Ryu Seung-bum and Jun Ji-hyun.
   The movie clearly stands out from other homegrown films with its spectacular and breathtaking fight and action scenes. Its secretive and gloomy atmosphere set in Berlin, where legacies from the Cold War era linger, is another high point of the movie.
   But that's about it.
   For its star-studded cast and huge production cost of nearly 10 billion won (US$9.3 million), the movie fails to meet expectations with a plot that is somewhat hard to understand. The movie's tempo is too fast for its audience to identify who is who. Too many characters come and go throughout the movie, including spies from the two Koreas, the United States and Israel in addition to German informants and arms dealers from Russia and the Middle East.
AEN20130122004400315_02_i.jpg  
There is nothing fresh about its story of conspiracy and betrayal between spies since it has been a beloved subject in other spy flicks and TV drama series.
   Jeong Jin-su (played by Han Suk-kyu), a South Korean spy, observes an illegal arms deal at a hotel restaurant in Berlin. During a subsequent raid, he encounters Pyo Jong-song (played by Ha Jung-woo), a North Korean spy known by the alias "ghost," and chases him. But Jeong fails to catch him after an intense fight.
   Meanwhile, Lee Hak-su (played by Lee Kyung-young), the North Korean ambassador to Berlin, asks Pyo to be careful since Dong Myeong-su (played by Ryu Seung-bum), a North Korean security official whose father is a high-ranking figure in the communist state, is on his way to visit Pyo.
   Upon arriving in Berlin, Dong tortures a waitress at the restaurant who is an informant for the South Korean spy to find out that Pyo's wife, translator Ryon Jeong-hee (played by Jun Ji-hyun), provided the South Korean side information on the arms deal. Pyo then follows his wife, suspecting she is a traitor. Sensing that it is a set-up by Dong and his father to gain favor with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Pyo strives to protect his wife.
   Ha is again superb as the cool-headed North Korean spy. He fights off his pursuers with quick and powerful strikes and delivers a believable, genuinely entertaining performance that is full of character. Ha's portrayal of the elusive and lonely North Korean spy who lives in the shadows conjures up empathy from the audience while the character of the South Korean spy does not.
   Unfortunately, the director Ryu seems to have no sense of the complex feelings that the spies from the two Koreas might feel toward each other as humans -- as both an enemy and a partner of cross-border cooperation. The two cooperate in the latter part of the movie just because they have the same enemy to fight, not because they are from the same Korean tribe.
   The movie opens in local theaters on Jan. 31.