Actor Gong Yoo considers fatherhood

The movie “Train to Busan” taught actor Gong Yoo a thing or two about marriage and fatherhood, he said in an interview with local media. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160731

In the film released on July 20, Gong played the role of Seok-woo, a father and fund manager who is preoccupied with work and does not spend enough time with his daughter. However, things change when Seok-woo has to save his child from zombies. 

Gong is not married and has no children. Yet, this is his fourth time playing the role of a father. He previously did so in “The Crucible” (2011), “The Suspect”(2013), and “A Man and Woman”(2015).

In the interview with local online media Sports Hankook, Gong said, “Not having my own child hinders me when playing the role of a father. Fatherhood is a world I have never experienced so there is a limit to how well I can express it when acting.

“Filming ‘Train to Busan’ made me contemplate what I would like to show or do for my child if I had one. My career as an actor has made me delay marriage, but I still hope to get married and have children someday,” Gong said. 

He added, “I think that one truly becomes a man after he becomes a father. I thought one becomes a true man once he reaches the age of forty, but I was wrong. A man who is 40 and has no child is like Peter Pan. Being a father makes you learn many things and grow as a person. I came to realize that while filming ‘Train to Busan,’”

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201607311420584844014_2

• Like 3

“Train To Busan” Cast Thank Viewers For Box Office Success

jung-yoo-mi-gong-yoo-kim-soo-ahn.jpg

The “Train to Busan” cast and crew expressed their gratitude after the film successfully reached 8 million viewers.

On July 31, the producers shared two photos on Instagram and wrote, “We received breaking news while promoting around Gwangju and Daejeon. ‘Train to Busan’ has surpassed 8 million viewers! ‘Train to Busan’ is indeed the summer trend.”

In one of the photos, huddled together for a photo are director Yeon Sang Ho and actors Gong Yoo, Jung Yoo Mi, and Kim Soo Ahn, who are out meeting viewers to promote the film, while child actress Kim Soo Ahn holds a sketchbook with the message, “Thank you for the 8 million views. We love you.”

kim-eui-sung-choi-woo-shik-ahn-so-hee-ma

The second image is of Ahn So Hee, Choi Woo Shik, Ma Dong Seok, and Kim Eui Sung holding signs celebrating the milestone. The signs say, “‘Train to Busan’ has reached 8 million viewers,” and “We sincerely thank you.”

“Train to Busan” tells the story of survivors on a train who struggle to reach the last safe city of Busan after Korea becomes plagued by an unidentified virus.

The film opened in July 20 and is currently showing in theaters in Korea.

http://www.soompi.com/2016/07/31/train-busan-cast-thank-viewers-box-office-success/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, upila94 said:

He said it's his 1st time finished shooting earlier than others, he used to shoot till the last with the crew and staff before it (Train To Busan). What does it mean? does it mean that Gong Yoo die on the last scene? On other video Jung Yumi (I think it's her voice) she said "Good bye, Gong Yoo". Is it the scene that make audiences cry?? OMG I can't wait to watch the movie!! :bawling:

yes, he died and this was heartbreaking :tears::tears: only Jung yumi and his daughter survived till the end

• Like 3

‘Train to Busan’ to get Hollywood remake

A Hollywood remake of this summer’s hit zombie flick “Train to Busan” may be on the horizon, according to local reports Sunday.

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160801

Studios in France and tinsel town have shown an interest in remaking the movie after viewing the summer blockbuster at the Cannes Film Festival. 

According to an industry insider, discussions have led to an offer from French studios with talks of TGV, France’s high-speed train, being suggested as the backdrop to the story.

“Apart from Europe, Hollywood is also a part of the discussions, but nothing has been decided yet,” according to distribution company Next Entertainment World.

“Major studios from Hollywood are also showing high interest in the remake since ‘Train to Busan’ received good comments at the Cannes Film Festival as well as from the local audiences,” the company added.

“Train to Busan” was released July 20 and set a new opening day record for domestic films drawing nearly 860,000 viewers on the first day.

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201608011112437671510_2

• Like 3

Could zombie movie Train to Busan be better than The Walking Dead?

Forget Snakes On A Plane – zombies on a train looks like the most terrifying travel related horror movie of all time!

Korean director Yeon Sang-ho has brought his blood and guts tale Train To Busan to the big screen – and just in time to satiate zombie fans blood lust as The Walking Dead season 7 is still almost three months away.

The tale sees businessman Seok-woo (played by Gong Yoo) taking his daughter Su-an (played by Kim Su-an) to see her mother in the titular Busan just as a zombie apocalypse breaks out.

amc.jpg

Cue panic, screaming, blood and mayhem for almost the full two-hour run time in the film that has been described as ‘relentless’ and ‘viciously entertaining’ since it debuted at Cannes back in May.

But could it be, dare we suggest, better than The Walking Dead?

Here are 5 reasons why;

It feels fresh

As TWD nears its seventh season, we can’t help but notice the same thing happens season after season. The characters are in a safe haven, there’s some kind of betrayal, the zombies infiltrate, the characters have to move somewhere else. TWD is a bit repetitive in this respect. But as Train to Busan is one contained story, it starts and ends with plenty of action and tension between the destinations.

yt1.png?w=620&h=334&crop=1

The zombies are frightening

Watching characters eyes turn white, veins turn black, and bodies unnaturally spasm is truly spine tingling. ‘Turning’ on TWD looks kind of peaceful in comparison.

And they run

Danny Boyle had the genius idea of having zombies that run when he created 28 Days Later back in 2002. TWD has bumbling, stumbling undead that could be outrun without much effort. Train To Busan adds tension by having hordes of undead who look like they could give Usan Bolt a run for his money in the speed stakes.

yt2.png?w=620&h=333&crop=1

They work together?

Admittedly, the Zombies in this Korean film seem to lack the intelligence to be able to open doors – but it does look like they club together to try and stop a moving train by grabbing onto one another. TWD zombies are selfishly just out for themselves.

There is an ending

As previously mentioned, the action in this movie takes place between a pretty firm beginning and a rather solid ending. While it’s possible there could be a sequel or spin off, the tale of Seok-woo and Su-an is quite self-contained. TWD has hinted it will keep running and running until audiences get bored. Sometimes it is best to have a beginning, middle and end.

Sadly, Train To Busan does not currently have a UK release date – but expect The Walking Dead to make a comeback before the end of the year.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/01/could-zombie-movie-train-to-busan-be-better-than-the-walking-dead-6042164/

• Like 2

Review: 'Train to Busan' is as much about character development as it is about zombies

“Train to Busan” is a Korean apocalyptic zombie thriller about a group of survivors who find themselves in a zombie apocalypse. Their only hope for escape is to get to Busan via train. It stars Gong Yoo (Seok-woo), Kim Su-an (Su-an), Jung Yu-mi (Seong-kyeong), Ma Dong-seok (Sang-hwa), Choi Woo-shik (Young-guk), Ahn So-hee (Jin-hee), Kim Eui-sung (Yong-suk).

How good can a zombie film get, right? Plus it’s not as if Korea is famous for its vast library of zombie films. But “Train to Busan” proved me wrong in its violence and surprising amount of emotional depth. At heart, it’s about a father trying to find redemption in the eyes of his daughter, amidst zombies trying to kill everyone in sight. And it’s this relationship that elevates this film from being a battle for survival to a fight for family.

626cf8252fb1dfb7de98226e27aca82a

Highlights

Tense and horrifying

The zombies come in literal waves, scrambling and crawling over each other to get to the tasty, tasty humans. They are the literal embodiment of a Chinese idiom, 人山人海, which translates to “mountains and seas of people.” In addition, these are really quick zombies which jump out of nowhere to attack, adding to the constant atmosphere of tension. Finally, there are so many glass walls and panels, which are perennially filled with walls of zombies on the other side attempting to break through. It’s a frightening trek to Busan, even if most of it takes place on a train.

A clear antagonist

Yong-suk (Kim Eui-sung) is rather on-the-nose in the way that he’s the evil counterpart to Seok-woo (Gong Yoo), but it also helps us to focus the latent fear and anger against a specific character. It makes the story even more personal, since we want to see this antagonist felled by the zombies, even though he miraculously keeps on surviving, despite being an unathletic grumpy old man. And this added obstacle that you can’t really kill (since he’s human) ups the tension, since you never know when he’s going to betray them.

Touching father-daughter relationship

Seok-woo (Gong Yoo) begins as the stereotypical father who seeks to buy Su-an (Kim Su-an), his daughter’s love with money rather than time, and has to face the painful consequences of his parenting failures when he discovers what she plans to do. In turn, Su-an despises her father and his selfishness, and makes her derision very clear. But both eventually find what they’re truly looking for in a father-daughter relationship, and Seok-woo’s growth to become the father that Su-an needs is the most human and emotional aspect of the film.

A tale of redemption

In the course of the burgeoning relationship between father and daughter, we also see how Seok-woo’s innate character isn’t as morally reprehensible as it might first seem. He’s certainly no angel, but he’s also a much better person than his daughter, and in fact the people around him, give him credit for. As we and Su-an see him repeatedly placed in life-threatening situations, we discover the good in our main protagonist. It also helps that his evil counterpart, Yong-suk, does the opposite of what Seok-woo does most of the time.

61d8b6d3762a2cac6c040ffe8ab709cd

Letdowns

Depressing ending

Our heroes make it to the end (Busan, it’s right there in the title), but it’s heavily implied that the rest of Korea, and possibly the world may have fallen to the zombie apocalypse. When you see just how quickly the infection can spread in the film, you’ll understand why. In addition, there are copious casualties as they make their way to Busan, more so than most zombie films. Combined, it just makes “Train to Busan” a rather bleak take on zombie films.

411d2bc987b6302c944719ea3312b083

Will Su-an be eaten in “Train to Busan?” (Golden Village Pictures)

“Train to Busan” is as much about character development as it is about zombies.

Should you watch this at weekend movie ticket prices? Yes.

Should you watch this more than once? It takes on an even more ironic tone if you do, so yes!

Score: 4.5/5

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/review-train-to-busan-is-as-much-about-095657747.html

• Like 2

‘Train to Busan’ is brilliant for zombie lovers

In theaters from writer/director Sang-ho Yeon and Well Go USA Entertainment comes one of the hottest genre of films so prepare to board the “Train to Busan.”

Seok-woo (Gong Yoo) is working hard in the business world of South Korea trying to provide a living for daughter Su-an (Kim Soo-ahn) and his mother. Working becomes so much his focus that he doesn’t make time to even make it to Su-an’s recital. As her birthday approaches, the little girl wants nothing more than to see her mother.

Trying to make amends to Su-an, Seok-woo agrees to take her on the train to Busan to see her mother. Watching the television on the train, he sees that something is happening all around but no one is quite sure what it is. Everyone on the train including Seok-woo will find out horrifyingly fast.

People have become infected with a virus that turns them into flesh eaters and the train isn’t about to get a break from it. A young woman who jumps onto the train trying to get away from a hoard brings the misery aboard.

Now Seok-woo must muster up every ounce of courage if he is to save his daughter. The selfishness he has become accustomed too won’t do in the face of what ever has taken over the train. He begins to work together with the others who also help to protect Su-an to keep the infected at bay long enough to get the train to Busan.

To survive it will take sacrifice and more courage than any of them realized they had!

Yoo as Seok-woo is definitely a man who wants to control every situation around him. From his job to dealing with an ex-wife, he keeps things moving to the beat of his own drum. That all pretty much changes after seeing the first zombie come to life, but then again I think that would change anyone’s attitude.

Kim Soo-ahn as Su-an is adorable, smart, affectionate and not afraid to tell it like it is, even if it happens with tears in her eyes. She is sharp and knows that something is up even before the other passengers. Su-an doesn’t have much to say so trust me when I tell you that when she speaks — listen!

Director Sang-ho Yeon has been seriously busy wearing both hats as writer and director to other films such as “The King of Pigs,” “The Fake” and “Seoul Station” (and you can add producer to the latter as well). In “Train to Busan” I think he has found a creative niche that gave this film serious awesomeness!

Well Go USA Entertainment once again provides the best in action and independent films from the US and around the world. Well Go’s titles can be seen in theatres, digital, subscription and VOD as well as broadcast television. For more of what they have to offer please visit www.wellgousa.com. “Train to Busan” has a running time of 118 minutes.

TUBS OF POPCORN: I give “Train to Busan” five tubs of popcorn out of five. I was totally engaged from start to finish (even if I did want to smack Seok-woo a few times). Every character had their own story and it was allowed to play itself out in such a way that I didn’t feel cheated although I might have done an “awwww really??” a time or two but in a good way.

From a couple expecting their first child, a team of baseball players, two lifelong friends, a greedy corporate passenger and more round out a cast that characterize the panic anyone would have on a train. That’s what also makes this film unique, they are in a confined space with limited options and hunger flesh eaters at every turn.

That’s what makes zombie films so awesome is that there are no set rules which means anything is possible. The zombie affects are frakken amazing in their own right. Every scene from inside the train is magnificently done, the hoard’s of zombies piling together to catch a train had my jaw dropping and the fight from car to car was clever in every sense of the word.

I’m sure by now everyone knows I’m a huge fan of the zombie genre and will watch anything with the hungry little buggers. “Train to Busan” is thoroughly cool in that new ideas have been brought into the mix and no one is spared — THAT’S what makes a memorable and talked about zombie film.

In the end — this film takes ticket punching to a whole new level!

http://www.militarypress.com/train-to-busan-is-brilliant-for-zombie-lovers/

• Like 2

Sony, Fox Trying to Catch Remake of Korea’s ‘Train’

train-to-busan-1.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Korean zombie blockbuster “Train to Busan” is speeding towards remake deals in Hollywood and France. Sony Pictures and 20th Century Fox are among the U.S. front runners.

“Although no deal has yet been decided or signed, we’re in talks with major studios and indie production houses in Hollywood and France that are highly interested in remaking the film,” a source close to the negotiations told Variety.

The film was backed by Next Entertainment World and represented internationally by NEW’s sales arm Contents Panda.

Bidders from Hollywood include Sony and Fox, while from France interested parties include Gaumont, Canal Plus and EuropaCorp. Deals may be finalized later this month.

“As France has its own high-speed train TGV, just like Korea’s KTX where the movie is set, companies in France have been particularly very passionate about remaking the original story,” the source said.

Offers were made after the movie’s premiere in Cannes, more followed after the film became a smash hit at the Korean box office — $61 million in 12 days — and enjoyed a fine opening in North America. Released in North America by WellGo USA, “Train” has ridden off with $716,000 to date.

http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/sony-fox-seeking-remake-train-to-busan-1201828399/

• Like 3

Forget The Walking Dead: THIS is the outrageous zombie film everyone is talking about

TRAIN TO BUSAN is set to be the biggest zombie film of all time. Watch the incredible new trailer for the the outrageous new Korean horror which has ignited a feeding frenzy between the major US film studios.

Train-to-Busan-zombie-film-images-695844

A feeding frenzy in never pretty.

Throw in some zombies and the major Hollywood film studios and it could quite possibly put you off your supper forever.

The explosive new horror film Train To Busan has ignited a bidding war between major US and European film studios for the remake rights.

Scroll down to watch the terrifying and terrifyingly thrilling new trailer and see what all the fuss is about.

Train-to-Busan-images-611028.jpg

Train-to-Busan-images-611025.jpg

Snakes on a Plane can slither off into the sunset, this is zombies on a train and it looks epic.

The horrifying plight of a bunch of passengers trapped on a high speed inter-city route with hordes on the undead certainly puts our own dismal daily commute into perspective.

The film focuses on a small group of passengers facing zombie outbreak in post-apocalyptic South Korea.

Train to Busan is directed by Yeon Sang-ho and stars Gong Yoo, Jung Yu-mi and Ma Dong-seok.

The film has already taken an impressive $62million worldwide.

The zombie thriller had its premiere in the Midnight Screenings section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival on May 13 and international interest has been sky high since.

US studios Fox and Sony are competing for the rights but there is also strong interest from French studios and production companies.

A source close to the negotiations told Variety: “Although no deal has yet been decided or signed, we’re in talks with major studios and indie production houses in Hollywood and France that are highly interested in remaking the film.

“As France has its own high-speed train TGV, just like Korea’s KTX where the movie is set, companies in France have been particularly very passionate about remaking the original story.”

A deal is expected to be fianlised and announced later this month.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/695844/Train-to-Busan-zombie-film-trailer-Walking-Dead-korea-remake

• Like 2

Fox, Sony Circling Remake Rights to Korean Zombie Hit 'Train to Busan' (Exclusive)

train_to_busan_h_2016.jpg

Rights to South Korea's first zombie blockbuster, which continues to smash box-office records, is also being pursued by Gaumont, Canal Plus and EuropaCorp.

South Korea's first zombie blockbuster, Train to Busan, has sparked a bidding war for remake rights, with 20th Century Fox, Sony Pictures and several of France's biggest studios competing for the property.

Still on release in South Korea, where it continues to smash local box-office records, the zombie thriller was produced by Seoul-based Next Entertainment World (NEW). The company's international rights division, Contents Panda, is handling the sale, and France's Gaumont, Canal Plus and EuropaCorp are circling the property along with the two U.S. studios, a source close to the negotiations tells THR.

Contents Panda senior manager Danny Lee declined to the confirm the names of the companies in the negotiations but acknowledged the interest. "Several major Hollywood studios as well as top French and European companies have made inquiries about remake rights, with some even making offers," he said. "There has been a lot of interest since the film received positive reviews at the Cannes Film Festival in May. It is currently doing very well in the local box office, so we are in no rush to make deals right away."

Train to Busan opened on July 22 and grossed $38.8 million in its first five days, an all-time record for the Korean box office. So far, the film has grossed $63.9 million in South Korea alone.

Critically acclaimed animator Yeon Sang-ho makes his live-action directorial debut with the thriller. It chronicles the chaos that ensues after a deadly virus sweeps through Korea and passengers aboard a bullet train from Seoul to the southern port city of Busan, which is ensconced from the outbreak, must fight for their survival.

Lee said French studios have been especially interested in remaking the film. "There seems to be more ways for French fillmmakers and audiences to relate to the story, because bullet trains are a big part of daily life there, as in Korea," he said.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-sony-circling-remake-rights-916386?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR's Today in Entertainment_now_2016-08-02 06:50:38_ehayden&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_tie

• Like 2