The Battle Of Red Cliff

Guest bubbles20

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I saw the first part today and I am totally blown away. I didn't know what to expect from the film. The film was done well, though I felt that some parts could have been edited better. I am excited for part two. I hope it comes out on DVD soon since it just released in the theaters not too long ago.

Guest xingjing

I am increasingly frustrated by how Chinese directors go out of the way to make these huge huge costly cinematographically [is that a word? LOL] aesthetic-pleasing movies that, when it comes down to it, are really just lame with scripting, casting choice, storyline, everything. Because they're somehow convinced that Western audiences will like something that pretty much just looks pretty and cool and forgetting that actually adding a bit of complexity to the storyline will actually do everybody a favor. I don't think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon should have ever won an Oscar. It seems to have given so many Chinese directors the false impression that it will happen again with their big-cost pretty movies that do not really contain much substance.

Why? Why would they ruin such an epic/classic story and give us an almost stupidified version with such one-dimensional characters? Why would they do that?

Please, Chinese directors, do put some substance in your movies next time.

Guest happypiano

TK makes a pretty good looking zhuge liang. xD i like how he squints all the time~ makes him look very intelligent hehe.

some of the scenes were so unnecessary though... like that sex scene? >.> kill me now. well, i guess they are catering to western viewers. =.=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest seraphic.shot

im surprised this thread isn't bigger! i really liked the movie. i can't comment on the accuracy or anything because i know close to nothing about the actual battle, but this movie held my attention despite my super duper short attention span lol and my aversion for subtitles. the ending made me cry...especially the scene with the 'piggy' and 'pits' characters ;_; i thought it was really nice and it showed how many naive/impoverished young men went into war in hopes of free tax and 3 meals a day so it would lessen the burden on the family. one less mouth to feed and all.

Guest creaturedreams

Loved this movie, In Part II Zhuge Liang's tactic of retrieving all those arrows was so pro! Chiling Lin is so pretty :)

Guest seraphic.shot

Loved this movie, In Part II Zhuge Liang's tactic of retrieving all those arrows was so pro! Chiling Lin is so pretty :)

HAHA yeah that was an awesome move... although I found it a bit unbelievable how fast Cao Cao beheaded the generals. Weren't they the ones that were supposed to lead the naval attacks? o.o Seemed like he didn't realize what he had done until after he had them killed.

Guest -ohdarn-

I am actually a HUGE Dynasty Warriors fan and when this movie came out... WOW! I watched it right away... The action was AWESOME! The story line is so original and it just was a magical thing to see...

BTW, the game is also AWESOME!

I wrote a review on this movie on my LiveJournal, so I'll just copy and paste it. 8D

SPOILERS for the first movie!!

I didn't expect this movie to be so good! Usually when it comes to epic Chinese battle movies like these, I tend to get confused and have to ask my dad to clarification because of all the similar-sounding names and all the people involved and crap, but for this movie, even though I rewinded a few times to reread the subtitles (and thus, the names), I actually understood what was happening without thinking too hard about it!
:D

But the best part about the movie (besides Takeshi Kaneshiro, of course) would be that they actually explain why and how they fought against the antagonist. The way they made that battle plan with the round circle trap, and how they let out each of their warriors one-by-one to fight... It made things so much simpler to understand, all the while developing the characters and how each of the warriors have their own characteristics. Usually in other films, all the warriors felt somewhat the same with the only one goal in mind, but in this movie, you could actually differentiate them with their fighting styles and speech. I guess that you can thank some good acting and good characterization for that too.
:)

Takeshi Kaneshiro doesn't have a romantic interest in this movie, and I feel a little odd about it. Not happy, not sad, lol. It's a nice change, I guess, that he doesn't have any romantic scenes or anything. I feel his acting (or character?) is a little lacking though. The character is incredibly intelligent, but Idk, maybe I'm so distracted by his white robes and amazing good looks that I don't notice the intelligence that he's trying to portray? Idk. :3

Oh, and I also really like the light humour in the movie. I like how there was a really even balance between the war-related scenes and the scenes that were meant for the females, lol. For example: the scenes where Tony and his wife/lover were romancing were kept short and sweet; the horse baby scene was made for both characterization (of Takeshi's character) and to display the affection between Tony and his wife; the music playing between Takeshi and Tony turned out to be used to show Tony's decision in the war, instead of just a filler scene... It felt like every scene was meaningful and there is always a reason/explanation for it. That you don't necessarily need dialogue or specific actions to emphasize on something. Very well-done.

In fact, at the end of the movie (though I didn't like the plot twist about how the antagonist started the war for a woman because it felt like an
incredibly
typical plot twist), I felt like the film was so short. It's weird too because usually for these type of movies, I find them long rather than short. I look forward to "Part II" of
Red Cliff
. Water battles are always interesting.
:)

I watched Part II while I was in China.

At first I wasn't really expecting it to be too engaging because it was a historical movie and 14 year olds and historical movies don't go well together. But I was really surprised. The made it funny, yet still following (vaguely) the events of that battle.(I had watched some of China's drama adapted version before and I found that really boring [[of course, i was only like 12 so i guess that's quite understandable]])

Older viewers might think differently though, i know my parents did. They thought it was too modernised, and that Zhu Ge Liang wasn't meant to be good looking hahahaha :lol:

Takeshi Kaneshiro is so freaking hot tho..even for an older man :lol:

xx.jenn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched part 1 and part 2 a long time ago. It was a really good movie and I enjoyed it. Then again, I've always been very interested in the Romance of the Three Kingdom era=) Vicki Zhao<3

Archived