Black Screen Of Death

weirdnshort

computer
yesterday I unplugged a cable (printer cable) from my computer. Then my computer froze.... (i don't know why)

So.. I manually shut it off.....

Now when I turn it on.. it doesn't run. The computer turns on, but it doesn't go anywhere... I just see a blank screen.

The monitor just says "power saving mode" <- usually does that when I shut off the computer.

i did a bad thing.. I didn't think it was a big deal since my printer was off. when I unplugged my printer cable, my computer was still on

I don't know if that affects anything.

? help? should I cut my losses and go buy a new computer...? (since my computer is already 3 years old and vista's already out). My parents are kinda ifffy about sending it to best buy since there are some $$ information on it.. including our taxes (though they're password protected). and they think the fixing it might be too expensive.

Okay, first things first... turn it off and unplug everything then reconnect it (you can unplug and reconnect) make sure you didn't knock anything loose.

Does the computer RUN? Like the lights... beeps... or the hard drive reading like crazy loading the invisible windows?

Worse case you wiggled the connector too much, caused a short and melted the motherboard.

You can take out the hard drive for use in another computer to save/erase your data as well.

thanks for the response.

it lights up, but there isn't a beep, like it usually does. I can hear something spinning though. the fans spin..the CD drives lights up.

I don't have another computer,...well the other one is dell and is very old (i think i got it about 10 years ago?).. i don't know if I would be able to use my HD in it. thx for the suggestion though.. i'll keep it in mind.

Is the fans a bit louder than normal like a full blast?

If yeah... :( time for a new motherboard!

What you want to do next is up to you, feel free to come up with ideas for me to shoot down or evaluate lol

The fans sounds the same.

is it worth replacing the motherboard? or does that mean that I have to replace the computer? I thought you couldn't replace motherboards....

do you have any advice for this to not happen again?

another question: which brand for laptops do you recommend? i'm considering getting one since the desktop died.

can you get to BIOS when you start the computer? If you don't know what that meant, you need to take your computer to a professional. Is your computer a name-brand? perhaps it can still be covered by a warranty.

if you don't have any warranty, the reps at geeksquad are pretty good. they can be found at almost every bestbuy.

Guest iamsars

if you don't have any warranty, the reps at geeksquad are pretty good. they can be found at almost every bestbuy.

good rep?!!? http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/14/geek-sq...stomers-shower/

anyways... if ur gonna get a new computer dont get vista yet... i used it for a week b4 downgrading to XP =/

if the computer was custom made did u make it? or did some1 put it together for u? or do u mean u customized it on a website? >_>;;

good rep?!!? http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/14/geek-sq...stomers-shower/

anyways... if ur gonna get a new computer dont get vista yet... i used it for a week b4 downgrading to XP =/

if the computer was custom made did u make it? or did some1 put it together for u? or do u mean u customized it on a website? >_>;;

eww.. invading ppl's showers???

Why did you downgrade it? too many problems?

custom made- a friend made it.. we just contacted him.. and he's going to take a look at it...

I don't like sending stuff to best buy, because last time my sisters sent their laptops there, it took about a month to get them back. I don't even know if best buy has a geek squad here I've heard of it since i worked at a subsidary of best buy in canada, but they eliminated it at that company (i live in canada)... is that the one that comes to your home?

"clear the CMOS bios battery thing" ? how do you do that? but the computer didn't even let me enter bios...ah.. too late.. since my computer's not here any more.

thx for the help/advice :)

Guest untungl

"clear the CMOS bios battery thing" ? how do you do that? but the computer didn't even let me enter bios...ah.. too late.. since my computer's not here any more.

For future reference, what you do is:

A) turn the computer off

B) short the jumper marked CMOS (it might also have other words, like "reset CMOS") and you'll have to look for where it is in the manual

C) replace the jumper

D) remove the motherboard battery (you'll have to look for this too, but it's usually a silver disc about the size of a quarter)

E) let the charge drain, then put the battery back in

F) ???

G) profit

Archived