Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Guest dada_princess

i've just read this old article from Ha Ji won's thread and wonder why Kang Dong Won wasn't included in the list of celebrities' graduation early this year while Kim Hyo Jin (Magic) also from Hanyang University was mentioned...??? plz tell me his graduation ceremony if you know. Thanks so much

02-27-2007

Stars Are Late Bloomers

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

It's graduation season. Students receive a bunch of flowers, take pictures with friends or throw their mortarboards into the air.

Many celebrities can also be seen at graduation ceremonies. But one of the major differences between their time in school and that of most students is that they usually need a lot more time to finish their studies.

Actress Ha Ji-won recently graduated from Dankook University. It took her 10 years to finish a four-year program. She expressed her joy with big smiles during the Feb. 14 graduation ceremony in which she received a special award.

Actress Ha Ji-won, left, graduated this year from Dankook University, after 10 years.

Actor Kwon Oh-joong, right, also graduated this year.

"It's more meaningful, as it took me 10 years. Honestly, I thought I would never make it," Ha told reporters after the graduation ceremony ended.

Ha entered university in 1997 but had to take time off several times because of her busy acting career. She has starred in many television dramas and movies, including the 2000 KBS drama "School II," the 2003 MBC drama "Tamo," the 2005 action film "Duelist" and the romantic comedy "Miracle on 1st Street."

Ha is not the only star who took a longer-than-usual time to graduate. Actor Choi Min-su took 10 years to graduate from a two-year program at Seoul Institute of the Arts.

Another star who graduated this February is Han Ga-in.

It took her six years to finish a four-year program at Kyung Hee University. While attending university, she appeared in many TV dramas and movies. The 24-year-old also got married in 2005.

But her busy life did not even allow her to participate in the graduation ceremony on Feb. 21. She was filming the upcoming SBS drama "Witch Yu-hee" that day.

Other stars who have graduated include actresses Kim Hyo-jin from Hanyang University, Park Si-eun from Dongduk University, actor Lee Jun-ki from Seoul Art College, Jung Jun-ho and Park Hyo-shin from Kyung Hee University and Kwon Oh-joong from Seoul Cyber University.

But stars' graduations are not always applauded by fans. Celebrities sometimes face criticism for getting poor grades or special treatment.

Many news reports have revealed that most celebrity students do not go to school for months at a time, but they graduate from university anyway.

An episode of "News After" that aired on MBC in November revealed that only three of 15 celebrity students reporters monitored from September to October attended class regularly.

"Their classmates called them ghost students as they never showed up," Lee Jae-hoon, a reporter from the TV program, said.

Despite their poor attendance rate, they got mandatory credits for graduation by participating in their school’s promotional events or donating money to the school in the name of "school development funds," Lee said.

Then, why do many stars want to enroll in a university, which they hardly go to, and struggle to graduate from?

Lee said that they simply want to have an image of being intelligent.

After receiving strong criticism, many universities said that they would not give celebrity students any special treatment.

"As they are at the center of public attention, things look severer. But basically, we have a strong commitment to treat them just like other students," Oh Se-yoon, a staff member of the public relations office at Kyung Hee University, said.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...20445911700.htm

Guest se7ensg1rl

Hi se7eng1rl!! very happy to read such compliment towards Kang Dong Won...I believe Kang Dong Won have already set his mind to lasts long in his chosen field. he may have also set Jang Dong Gun as his example..we vividly saw, how he wisely picked his roles which reflects his desire to develop and polish his skills...of course, with due guidance from his mentor, and a humble heart...he is bound to be a great actor..

Welcome rori0711~~ :lol: and yeah, I agree. He's a great actor.

any updates of his movie "M"??

I don't think there are any. At least not on soompi. Here the link to the 'M' thread:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...=92908&st=0

what matters here to address him pretty boy Kang Dong Won? He, i believe can be concurrently a pretty boy and a talented actor, i also get used to call him like that. External appearance and talent are complimentary factors in his career as an actor. Btw, se7ensg1rl your korean is so great, i need to learn more. thanks for translation

I know, can't he be both? He's got the looks and the talent. Honestly, I think he's a bit underrated as an actor and that's because of factors like his age and whatnot. They think he's too young. I'm a bit disappointed he didn't receive any awards for Maundy Thursday or Duelist. But that's my opinion so ... <_<

He always end up with something like 'Netizen's Choice' or 'Most Popular Award' or 'Best Couple' but never something more meaningful.

I hope he'll be recognized as a more mature and serious actor with 'M'.

----

edited: I thought he graduated from Hanyang this year? Maybe the reporter missed KDW's graduation.

reposted from news thread...thanks to Rubie!

Korea movies dominate box office in Feb.

Korean films dominated the box office in February, led by Park Jin-pyo's kidnapping drama "Voice of a Murderer" that sold 3.1 million tickets, the major multiplex cinema operator CGV said. Six films in the top 10 box office rankings were Korean.

"Voice of a Murderer" appealed to local audiences by laying bare the painful experience of the parents who lost their son to a kidnapper, a story based on a real incident in which the real culprit is still at large.

On the ticket sales chart, the No. 2 slot went to "Miracle on 1st Street," with 1.9 million viewers. Other Korean films which made it to the top 10 list were "A Day for an Affair" (1.74 million), "Highway Star" (1.23 million), "Master Kims" (1 million) and "ChoiGang Romance" (610,000).

The combined share of ticket sales by Korean films reached 67.4 percent last month, slightly up from January but still lower than the 68.9 percent recorded a year earlier.

Hurray!! what a good news isn't it??!! surprisingly, the figures are a lot of difference :w00t:Voice of Murderer truly lived up as predicted last year's one of 2007's most anticipated film..Inspite of negative reviews and strong concurrent movies local & foreign..Voice of Murderer dominated them all.. :sweatingbullets: Director Park Jin Pyo successfully delivered a true to life film..along with the casts.

CONGRATULATIONS TO VOICE OF MURDERER!!

looks like many blessings are pouring in left & right for Kang Dong Won...Hopefully, M would hit the chart better than expected :)

Guest Airine Pratama

Translations:

Kang Dong Won, He is possibly the next Jang Dong Gun

The movie 'The Murder's Voice' which received much applause from female students is becoming a popular subject matter in Korea. Pretty boy Kang Dong Won is the reason why so many are watching the movie. In the meantime, Kang Dong Won has moved woman's hearts through TV, movie, cfs and other such fields. Especially, the (flowery/light) smile he showed in his debut film 'A Wolf's Temptation' was enough to melt the hearts of countless females. However, the truth of the matter is that he received slight criticism in his acting abilities.

It is difficult to catch Kang Dong Won's (flowery/light) appearance in 'The Murder's Voice'. Instead, with a dark and gloomy voice, Kang Dong Won threatens actor and actress, Sul Gyung Gyu and Kim Nam Joo. In Kang Dong Won's previous film, 'Our Happy Time' he played a murder and in 'The Murder's Voice' he plays the voice of a kidnapper.

He is walking the footsteps of Jang Dong Gun. Jang Dong Gun is one of the few actors that without a doubt, regardless of his handsome features, does not rely on them when acting. He is known to play roles that does not brighten his self-image thus developing his acting abilities. In addition, through his movie 'Friend' he has gained respect as an actor and I think it is safe to say that Jang Dong Gun is presently the no. 1 actor. Kang Dong Won is an actor that is following the road that senior actor Jang Dong Gun took.

If Kang Dong Won relies solely on his external features, his career will not last long. However, if his acting ability matches the greatness of his appearance, he will receive much adoration, not as Pretty Boy KDW but as actor KDW.

Credits: me :)

Whoa thank you very much for this translation ... Finally i can read this kind of article that really admit KDW is learning to be a good actor and not only rely on his look.

Good looking and good acting ...

Whoa thank you very much for this translation ... Finally i can read this kind of article that really admit KDW is learning to be a good actor and not only rely on his look.

Good looking and good acting ...

found this pic with an interesting article but too small to read the detail...

anyway i agree with you Airine, he can be both... :)

n2o14126712424np5.jpg

Please translate this news, I only know it's about his further studying.

2007년03월02일 14시41분

영화배우 강동원 상명대 대학원 영화전공 입학

(서울=뉴스와이어) 2007년03월02일-- 영화배우 강동원이 상명대학교(총장: 서명덕) 대학원에 입학했다.

강동원씨는 2007학년도 신입생으로 상명대학교 대학원 연극영화과 영화전공 석사과정에 합격하여 새학기부터 수업을 받게 된다.

학부에서 기계공학을 전공한 강동원씨는 이론적인 영화연구에 대한 이해를 넓히기 위해 석사과정에 도전하게 되었으며 이번학기 상명대 대학원 수업을 통해 지금까지 노력해온 연기분야외에 영상산업, 영화비평, 현장연구, 배우연구, 영화정책등 다양한 분야에 대해 연구하게 된다.

출처 : 상명대학교

sourec : Newswire

link : SangMyung University

Guest dada_princess

thanks for pics kamin. I'm going to construct fansite for Dong Won in singapore, someone here can help me with source of info? here fans know very little about Dongwonie hixhix

Guest se7ensg1rl

The SHARP pictures are great. He's just too smexy~

2007년03월02일 14시41분

영화배우 강동원 상명대 대학원 영화전공 입학

(서울=뉴스와이어) 2007년03월02일-- 영화배우 강동원이 상명대학교(총장: 서명덕) 대학원에 입학했다.

강동원씨는 2007학년도 신입생으로 상명대학교 대학원 연극영화과 영화전공 석사과정에 합격하여 새학기부터 수업을 받게 된다.

학부에서 기계공학을 전공한 강동원씨는 이론적인 영화연구에 대한 이해를 넓히기 위해 석사과정에 도전하게 되었으며 이번학기 상명대 대학원 수업을 통해 지금까지 노력해온 연기분야외에 영상산업, 영화비평, 현장연구, 배우연구, 영화정책등 다양한 분야에 대해 연구하게 된다.

출처 : 상명대학교

Translations:

Mar-02-07 - 14hour41min

Actor Kang Dong Won enters SangMyung University

On March 02, 07, actor Kang Dong Won entered SangMyung University.

Kang Dong Won was accepted as freshman of year 2007 at the SangMyung graduate school. He wil major in Film Studies for a master's degree. He will start his studies in the upcoming semester.

In undergrad school Kang Dong Won majored mechanical engineering. To widen his knowledge in film he has decided to challege himself by entering SangMyung Uni. With the help of his own film experience and through SangMyung he will futher his studies in the field of film by researching the Visual Industry, Movie Critiqueing, Acting, Movie Production, and etc.

Geez, so many hard words in this article.

Ok well apparently, he entered the S.M. university.

I hope he does well in SangMyung. My opinion, he could make a one great director when he quits acting~~!!! <3

reposted from news thread...thanks to Rubie!

Hurray!! what a good news isn't it??!! surprisingly, the figures are a lot of difference :w00t:Voice of Murderer truly lived up as predicted last year's one of 2007's most anticipated film..Inspite of negative reviews and strong concurrent movies local & foreign..Voice of Murderer dominated them all.. :sweatingbullets: Director Park Jin Pyo successfully delivered a true to life film..along with the casts.

CONGRATULATIONS TO VOICE OF MURDERER!!

looks like many blessings are pouring in left & right for Kang Dong Won...Hopefully, M would hit the chart better than expected :)

I'm glad that 'Voice of Murderer' is doing well ... thanks to KDW (hahaha). No really, I don't think I or most others would have watched it if he wasn't in it. Personally, the movie was ... bleh ... the only good parts were when I saw glimpses of KDW. *spoiler alert* They seriously should have put more focus on the perspective of the murderer instead of making him some mysterious dude that popped up randomly. They put too much emphasis on the parents who sat there crying and crying over the kid. I mean, I felt kinda bad for him at the end but during the entire movie I was thinking omgoodness please~ I felt like the were trying so hard force the sympathy or sorrowful feeling out of you. I couldn't find any connection with the parents at all. Again, this is my opinion. But I like the overall mood of the movie. Just can't believe this is a true story. It's so tragic.

Guest mingy

omg i found a thread about him finally!! thanks everyone who posted pictures!! it is so hard to find his pictures!! I wonder if he is still taken!!!!!!!

se7ensg1rl, BIG thanks! you rock!!!

whoaaa he really works hard...hope he can do...we will wait for a new great directer...FIGHTING!!!

still07weareyeokify3.jpg

btw, you watched vom already?? wow...such a dark story...anyway i must see it!

mingy, welcome here! :lol:

random old pics

credit on pic

d007969720243786ei6.jpg

d00796972042485kk8.jpg

d00796972045638aj6.jpg

b9ccbcd2b3e2wy4.jpg

11692985300klhqi1.jpg

117022447125b525bf25281az6.jpg

0019176fn8.jpg

bfa5baf1bebebfacb1e2b4emd9.jpg

b9d9c5c11ai4.jpg

114016405132545000hj5.jpg

114016472999905400uj7.jpg

2007032f092f972fd007969dh2.jpg

040209c0fcc6c4b0dfb9aebzy7.jpg

1169909088c0fcc6c4b0dfbzd1.gif

1169830289bbdfc1fab2a8but7.gif

b1eeb6dfcg6.gif

:lol:

Guest Airine Pratama

Translations:

Mar-02-07 - 14hour41min

Kang Dong Won was accepted as freshman of year 2007 at the SangMyung graduate school. He wil major in Film Studies for a master's degree. He will start his studies in the upcoming semester.

In undergrad school Kang Dong Won majored mechanical engineering. To widen his knowledge in film he has decided to challege himself by entering SangMyung Uni. With the help of his own film experience and through SangMyung he will futher his studies in the field of film by researching the Visual Industry, Movie Critiqueing, Acting, Movie Production, and etc.

whoa se7ensg1rl ... thanks so much again for the translation ... i guess Dongwon's desire to learn never end ... i love it ... i think it's cool ^^ ...

Guest syille

se7ensg1rl, BIG thanks! you rock!!!

whoaaa he really works hard...hope he can do...we will wait for a new great directer...FIGHTING!!!

btw, you watched vom already?? wow...such a dark story...anyway i must see it!

mingy, welcome here! :lol:

random old pics

040209c0fcc6c4b0dfb9aebzy7.jpg

1169909088c0fcc6c4b0dfbzd1.gif

1169830289bbdfc1fab2a8but7.gif

:lol:

Oceanluv, i like kdw in that show very much.....

do you have that clip?

if you do, pls posted it...

:)

gomapta.

found this pic with an interesting article but too small to read the detail...

anyway i agree with you Airine, he can be both... :)

n2o14126712424np5.jpg

oceanluv, the article above it might be too small, but it can possible be read, if you have the rest of the article, pls posting it...

The SHARP pictures are great. He's just too smexy~

Translations:

Mar-02-07 - 14hour41min

well....thanks se7ensg1rl 4 the translation, we happy to have you here...

btw i don't understand about undergrad school , what the meaning of that word?

Oceanluv, i like kdw in that show very much.....

do you have that clip?

if you do, pls posted it...

:)

gomapta.

oceanluv, the article above it might be too small, but it can possible be read, if you have the rest of the article, pls posting it...

sorry, i haven't found that clip yet....it's very old one....neither do the rest of the aricle...so bad.... :sweatingbullets:

NEWS

2007/03/13

newsyq9.jpg

credit: blog.naver.com/lebanon74

Guest dada_princess

sorry, i haven't found that clip yet....it's very old one....neither do the rest of the aricle...so bad.... :sweatingbullets:

NEWS

2007/03/13

newsyq9.jpg

credit: blog.naver.com/lebanon74

thnks for article, oceanluv