Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Hello everyone :)

I'm New kang dong won fan and fall in love with him these days and I just can say he is Great :wub:

please accept me in this Topic as his Fan 

I watched a Video ( about master )  so decide to share here too 

( maybe posted before ...IDK , sorry )

https://vimeo.com/199931895

he is really fluent in English ... WoooW :)

• Like 2

@ss523 I am not sure that article misunderstood or not, why so soon...Trailers for films often come out a few months before the release date. But now there is nothing...:(

--------------------

Kang Dong-won Talks South Korean Cinema & ‘Vanishing Time’

ac957c9616103cae64030711d718a232?s=48&d=
Tae Hong
Aug 02,2017
South Korean film actor Gang Dong-won receives the Star Asia Award at the 16th New York Asian Film Festival. (Photo courtesy of NYAFF)South Korean film actor Gang Dong-won receives the Star Asia Award at the 16th New York Asian Film Festival. (Photo courtesy of NYAFF)

You’re only a child when the world around you, and the people in it, freezes. Seconds turn into days, then months, then years — and all the while, you’re aging while they’re not.

This is the story told in “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned,” the sci-fi fantasy effort by South Korean director Uhm Tae-hwa that screened at the New York Asian Film Festival in July. The pic is led by Kang Dong-won, who picked up the Star Asia Award at the festival.

In “Vanishing Time,” two new friends, Su-rin (Shin Eun-soo) and Sung-min (Kang), have a bond forged by their shared understanding of loneliness. One day, they’re exploring a cave with two friends when they come across a mysterious glowing egg, which turns out to be a magical item that traps children in a frozen world where only they age. The boys vanish, leaving Su-rin behind. When one of the boys turns up dead, and Sung-min returns as a twentysomething adult, Su-rin — still 14 years old — finds the responsibility of protecting her friend thrust onto her shoulders.

Shin Eun-soo and Gang Dong-won in "Vanishing Time" (Courtesy photo)
Shin Eun-soo and Kang Dong-won in “Vanishing Time” (Courtesy photo)

Fans of South Korean cinema are surely familiar with Kang’s work on the big screen, whether it be as a young priest bent on exorcising an evil spirit in “The Priests,” as the charismatic wizard Jeon Woochi in the film of the same name, or as the heart-achingly sweet Jung Tae-sung in “Temptation of Wolves.”

While it was Kang’s portrayal of a cerebral cop in “Master” and that of a crafty conman in “A Violent Prosecutor” that landed both films on last year’s list of South Korea’s Top 10 highest-grossing pics, we have never quite seen the actor as we do in “Vanishing Time,” as innocence in an adult’s body. “I have the type of personality where I get tired of things easily,” Kang said. “I hate doing things I’ve already done. It’s not fun. So this character [Sung-min] felt very fresh to me.”

NYAFF, which saw its 16th annual run screening 57 films this year, brings cinema in a range of genres from across the Asian continent to New York City. 

“I feel almost a sense of duty, as a Korean actor and as an Asian actor, for being here [at NYAFF],” Kang said. “As more and more people become interested in our culture, they’re looking to our movies. I was surprised to see that at Cannes this year. Aside from whether it’s Korean films or not, I think it’s the same for everyone who is a creator. I want to work in collaboration with more people, and hopefully be able to meet with more audiences in America and in Europe.”

“Vanishing Time” was one of a handful of NYAFF’s Korean selections this year, and saw a limited theatrical release across the U.S. last winter, one of a growing number of films to hit North America from the increasingly influential chungmuro. At the same time, Hollywood has seen a trickling of Korean directors helming its projects, from Bong Joon-ho (whose latest U.S.-South Korea co-production, “Okja,” debuted on Netflix to much fanfare) to Park Chan-wook (“Stoker”) and Kim Ji-woon (“The Last Stand”). The same goes for a handful of Korea’s top stars, like Lee Byung-hun (“The Magnificent Seven”) and Bae Doo-na (“Sense8”), who have successfully transitioned to Hollywood.

The question is whether Kang sees himself joining in. “Whether it’s America or anywhere else, if I have the chance to work with talented people, I am up for the challenge,” he said. “I’m always open to anything. If they tell me to come to Africa, I will.”

(Courtesy of NYAFF)
“Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” (Courtesy photo)

He’s a supporter of the emergence of more diverse platforms, namely digital streaming services like Netflix and Amazon that are gearing up to transform into serious studio contenders, on which filmmakers can create and show their work.

“A few years ago, I attempted to produce a film outside the existing system with my friends. That project didn’t work out, and we eventually had to fold it in its beginning stages. But we tried,” he said. “So I’ve readily accepted Netflix and new platforms. As creators, as long as we can make great films, we’re interested. And if we can make them in diverse genres, and have the flexibility to create what we’d like, even 4- or 5-hour films, that’s great.”

In Kang’s eyes, the expansion of Korean cinema onto the world stage has come organically. “This is an era in which it’s easy to learn about foreign cultures,” he said. “I think everyone is having an easier time of picking up global projects. I myself have been planning diverse projects with diverse people as well. Something is bound to happen, don’t you think? Soon.”

http://kore.am/kang-dong-won-talks-south-korean-cinema-vanishing-time/
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, oceanluv said:

Ah...the post was deleted...but the yellow shirt girl is shin eun soo? (Vanishing Time) WOW! so surprised...

@oceanluv  I Searched Kang dong won hashtag in both English and Korean and even han hyo joo

but all of the accounts who sent this picture removed it or maybe IG did  !

I don't know why ?!:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

THE BOY WHO RETURNED : A Chat with VANISHING TIME’s Gang Dong-won

Jake Brandman August 17, 2017 August 17th, 2017vanishingtime.jpg

Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned starts out a lot like an ‘80s Spielberg movie, centering on Su-rin, a 14-year old orphan with an aloof stepfather, who ventures into a forest with her new kinda boyfriend, Sung-min, and a few of his buddies. The film takes a hard left into dark fantasy, however, when Sung-min and his friends (but not Su-rin, notably) accidentally break a strange glowing egg. As part of a strange curse, the broken egg literally stops time for everyone and everything except for those in its vicinity. For 15 years. By the time the natural flow of time has been restored, Sung-min’s friends are dead, and he’s become a traumatized man nearing 30. While Su-rin is eventually convinced that this strange man is her friend, she unfortunately struggles to convince anyone else, especially the police detectives who believe Sung-min is the one who kidnapped the missing children. While Shin Eun-Soo is excellent as Su-rin, the film is anchored by the performance of Gang Dong-won, so eerily convincing in portraying Sung-min as a physical adult with a teenage mind. We spoke to Gang Dong-won, in New York to receive the Star Asia award from the New York Asian Film Festival, about the specific challenges of playing this role, the ways in which he identifies with Sung-min, and his starring role in the upcoming Korean live-action remake of the classic Japanese anime Jin-Roh.

Considering that you started out as a model, it’s surprising that the roles you choose are so often unglamorous characters. Is that an intentional decision on your part?

I just choose the script. I don’t choose the character, just a good script and director.

One specific challenge for this role is not just the fact that you’re playing the grown up version of a child character, but also that it’s a character who didn’t grow up in a natural way. Did you coordinate your performance with the child actor or study his performance to inform your own?

I did, I did. There’s a lot of children in the movie, so I would watch how they spoke to get some idea of how I should speak. And then, since the character lived his life in frozen time for about fifteen years, I made a new character that is not just suddenly grown up. Like a middle ground between boy and adult. If I acted like a boy too much, then I don’t feel like the audience would keep believing in the character.

There’s also the additional concern, which is brought up in the movie, about the romance that your character has as a child with Su-rin. I think the movie did a very good job of not making it creepy when you interact with her as an adult, but was there an active effort to try to make sure that the audience was still onboard?

The director (Uhm Tae-Hwa) and I did discuss this problem. My character lived those fifteen years thinking about her, but over that time, his feelings changed from love to friendship. That was pretty hard to express, that it’s only friendship and not love. The situation was kind of complicated. It was definitely a tricky part of making this movie.

What were some of the challenges of acting in that vanished time dimension? Was it a green screen situation? How did that work?

We didn’t shoot with a green screen. We’d just be running and everybody else would be stopped.

Oh, really? It was that simple?

Yeah, it was simple. But outside, we cannot stop wind, so that was very difficult. And then some people, they are very used to moving. We said, “Ready?” and then they started to move. “No, no, no, no, no. This isn’t like other movies.” We said, “Ready?” and they would have to stop.

Do you feel that your character has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder when time has returned? Do you think that influences his actions once he returns to regular time? Or did you not want to think in medical terms because it might limit you?

I think the character is of course kind of traumatized because he had to live his life alone  and because his two friends died. So, when he comes back, moving things make him scared. I had the same kind of experience in New York, in Soho. When I’m walking on the street in Soho, it’s really busy and very startling. So I started to sweat, and my heart was beating very fast, and I couldn’t walk anymore. I just sat down on the street and took a ten minute break. Only then, after that, could I walk. So, I think that the character is the same in that way.

I read recently that you’re going to be a part of the remake of Jin-Roh, which is such a well-known anime both in Japan and in the US. Is it intimidating to take on a property that so many people have so many memories of and feel very loyal to?

I’m nervous, but I’m happy. Why not? I always enjoy making new characters. This moment, I’m so happy. I’m preparing my character now. We’re going to start shooting in the middle of August.

Last question. Is this the first time you’ve seen an American audience experience your work?

No, but the interesting thing is that I checked Rotten Tomatoes and my movie, Kundo, the Rotten Tomatoes score was so high and I was like, “Wow, good. People like it. Maybe foreign audiences really do respond to these films.” And then I checked the other movies’ scores and they didn’t score as high. [laughs]

Jake Brandman

https://www.asiancrush.com/the-boy-who-returned-a-chat-with-vanishing-times-gang-dong-won/

• 2 weeks later...