For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest boasummerqueen

well, only my dad minds because he is quite proud of our race, which is why i always have to prove to him that im not thinking korea is better than us, just EQUAL bcas all ppl are equal...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest acelynnpopss

My mum usually just rolls her eyes at me when she sees me watching Korean dramas. This is due to the fact that she believes they are melodramatic (Which is true)

Haha! My mum does that too. And she also kept telling my dad that they might have a son-in-law from Korea! Lols!

She also likes to interrupt me when I'm watching korean music shows and dramas. -_-

However, my dad likes it! He watch it with me! :)

But seems like all parents are slowing getting addicted to korean pop culture, just like us :P It's a trend~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fishieftw

Mom: "Here, I have this nice CD of Croatian music you can listen to."

She's always trying to get me to understand more about that part of my culture, even though I already understand it fairly well since I grew up in it. >.>

Dad: "Oh, okay, cool. Here, let me teach you a couple Korean words I know." -epically long conversation on the few Korean words I know and the few he knows ensues, followed by conversations on linguistics and how Korean relates to other languages-

I don't watch the dramas around them because my dad would think they're too sappy and my mom would probably get hooked XP.

My parents don't really mind but my mom sometimes asks me if i understand what they're saying. LOL I just answer that it doesn't matter as long as I enjoy the beat.

But I got my mom into Korean dramas and she really loved Boys Over Flowers! :rolleyes: LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JassJjang

my mum: black music not good enough for you? listen to something in english for once.

..the hell are you watching?

my dad: ...the hell is that? spanish? 

I'm halfblack-half italian.

they think I'm crazy. xD

even better when they look at me weird for singing it. :)

oh, I love joining collabs for THAT reason alone.

Guest Machitoshi

they don't judge hahaha, they actually just comment on certain things. they only remember the ones they like or the ones that I watch often. my mom asks "Is that BoA now?" whenever she catches me watching from time to time (she asks it even if it's SNSD & there's 9 of them...-___-)

Guest ohNO not Vivix3

They just ask me if I understand it or not. Of course I'll say no and they would be like "why do you listen to it?"

They end up liking the melody to it too because all the cds in the car are kpop music.

As for korean dramas, I'm viet and my family has this viet channel from direct tv and alot of up to date dramas on always on with the exception of viet dubbed.

my mum: black music not good enough for you? listen to something in english for once.

..the hell are you watching?

my dad: ...the hell is that? spanish? 

I'm halfblack-half italian.

they think I'm crazy. xD

even better when they look at me weird for singing it. :)

oh, I love joining collabs for THAT reason alone.

Haha, :Dsame here I'm mexican, and my parents are like "why not spanish or english?" And I'm not like , cuz i dont want to....

Just because its kpop/kdrama, they assume that its still chino (chinese)??? (seriously, people in latin america .U.S think that all asians are chinos, so wrong), and that I'm going to marry an asian guy. Seriously!!!! Just becuase I listen to kpop!!! (maybe?? lol) its just weird to them......but I still listen cuz im diverse ^.^

when my mum first notice that i love to watch korean drama and that listening to kpop and she is just like..

:blink: she often ask me " do you even understand what they are saying"

and then i got her into ft island (bcause i know she would love to hear sad song )

and now she a 100% ft island fans..

so now my mum just support my love towards everything bout korean ..

Guest shadesofsea

I listened many j-rock bands before so they are used to this kind of "strange" music. Now I really don't listen j-rock anymore... but I think they think that I listen to japanese pop...

My dad: *sees my SNSD wallpaper* Do you want to be like those japanese girls?

Me: They're Korean girlgroup...

Dad: Okey.... *gives me "why don't you listen more normal music" look*

Guest Caidanbi

My mom actually watches all the dramas with  me, and she had me put all my Korean (and Chinese!) music in her ipod because she likes it so much!! My dad isn't into it as much, but for some reason he really likes Coffee Prince! He was starting to get into My Lovely Sam Soon too, so I think if I could just get him to sit still long enough, he'd probably like a lot of the dramas.. The music isn't his style, but he doesn't mind me listening to it.

Guest Want2LoveU

It was okay back than, but not now. It's always "don't waste your time", so I just go off to do something else. Watching movies are okay for my parents, but usually I am too busy for all that now. I just keep thinking it over wasting your time, than I just get back to my senses. I go off to do something more productive like reading some news, self study mandarin etc.

We watch kdrama together! But i listen to my music, they listen to theirs. I think I'm the one with the spontaneous queasy feelings about kpop though, since it's still 90% gibberish to me. I'm learning Korean & look forward to the day when I can actually understand it genuinely! Makes me feel more comfortable listening to it since I can now be delusional and believe I can understand it bit by bit!

Archived