For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest x3pixel_perfectx3

My sister and I watch and listen to Korean dramas and music more than American ones (I live in the US) and our parents often question why we're so addicted to them. While everyone my age watches 'Gossip Girl' or 'Jersey Shore', I find those shows revolting and instead get myself in front of my computer and watch raw Korean variety shows and dramas. According to my mother, I'm not normal. Hahaha.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LitteRedNote

Hmmm...I think that they find me a strange child (lol)

As long as it doesn't interfere with studying and what-not they seem cool with it though XDD

Guest Numbawon

Sister and Mom thought it was weird until I made them watch an EP of 2Days1Night & SGB then they came around.

Mom is currently involved in a few KDramas

Guest haerin-

My parents don't mind at all!

But they sometimes do get annoyed when I spend too much time watching k-dramas over doing homework. sweatingbullets.gif

Guest xxcarolxx

My parents don't care haha but they do ask if I understand what they are saying or not.

My mom kind of watches Korean dramas with me too =)

Guest anonymousfan

when they first found out about it, they were giving me those "what-the-heck-can-you-even-understand-what-they're-saying" looks. .

but after a while, they got used to me spazzing about K-Pop and K-dramas. .even my mom likes some K-dramas. .hehe

although sometimes my Dad would be irritated coz sometimes I sing the Korean lyrics out loud. .kekeke..^^

Guest NorthWind

I listen mostly Japanese music and watch J-dramas, but lately more and more Korean music and K-drama also...

And my parents... they don't care, why would they? :D I'm 22, I've moved out years ago. And even when I was still living at my parents place, they weren't bothered by it. After all, I payed all my CDs/DVDs myself. And my little sister watches some anime too.

Guest nhim222

My parents dunt really care xD

They even give me money to buy the albums (yayyy)

My mother likes variety shows from Kor <3 We always watch it together. gosh, she is a huge fan of Jae Suk =))

Well, as long as my study still good. my parents always let me do what i want :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hime.3.

well my parents just dont say anything but they think its wierd.

i never have told them that i listen to kpop/watch japanese & korean dramas becuase ive never seen the need to do so, but they just find out on there own anyways. they do pull some jokes about how 'oh yeah my daughter likes asian stuff LOL shes crazy' but i just ignore becuase that shouldnt really matter, no matter what they say to me im still going to enjoy them :D

Guest LeeYan1025

At first my parents thought I've gone bonkers.. They were like.. "Why listen or watch something you don't understand?"..

And then, I showed my mom "You're Beautiful" and she understands me now... :w00t::D

My dad teases me about it though.. but he still gives me money for the k-pop albums..

Guest chocobofan4

My mom has deemed me crazy...

At first she tried to talk me out of it, but now she doesn't really care.

My dad on the other hand always asks me how certain music groups are different from American boybands 10 years ago. As of now I find it's just easier to ignore him on this topic. :sweatingbullets:

I don't watch Korean dramas much, but I watch a lot of Japanese dramas, listen to a lot of Japanese dramas and study Japanese. I'm not Japanese, and at the start my parents found it a bit strange, but now they don't care, they let me do what I want

Guest DREAMiiNG

My mum usually just rolls her eyes at me when she sees me watching Korean dramas. This is due to the fact that she believes they are melodramatic (Which is true)

Guest kubefire

my mom doesn't mind.... she watches it as well.

But when my dad comes around, i get embarrassed. Even when I am listening to korean music. Right now, he is questioning "why do so many people get affected by the hallyu wave??" lol

Guest fifi yang

My parents hated it. lol As if listening to crazy American songs wasn't enough, now they have to listen to 'rubbish' in a whole new language xD And especially since Kpop consumes a lot of my time, they hated it even more xD

But now I kinda stopped since none of the groups I like are promoting and I'm going back to American music so they're alright now. lol

Archived