Anyone Know French?

Guest yonsu

all questions and help here - see first post
EDIT BY MOD: Please post all your French language-related questions here and don't start a new thread.

Can anyone tell me what "jadorais ton cher aussi cheri" means?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rainie_Days

Sorry my mistake, lol, got mixed up with my tenses >_<

It's actually imperfect, as it ends with "-ais". So your sentence means "I love you dear also" I guess.

Guest Rainie_Days

It would be "Je te ai aimé cher aussi", but that literally means I liked you dear too. I think it's the same thing though, since the way they say I love you is "Je t'aime".

Guest eniarrol

"jadorais ton cher aussi cheri" -- I'm not sure if the grammar's correct, but I think it translates to "I adore you also, dear." If you wanted to say "i love you too, my dear," that would be "je t'aime aussi, mon cher." :D

but then again, I only took elementary french, so correct me if I made any mistake. :phew:

Guest Rainie_Days

"jadorais ton cher aussi cheri" -- I'm not sure if the grammar's correct, but I think it translates to "I adore you also, dear." If you wanted to say "i love you too, my dear," that would be "je t'aime aussi, mon cher." :D

but then again, I only took elementary french, so correct me if I made any mistake. :phew:

Lol, no, I think you're right :D

J'adore means I love but it's more to do with the things you love, and not as in to love someone. To say I love you, it's "Je t'aime" which literally means I like you, but with the french, it means I love you :)

in the litteral sense, "jadorais ton cher aussi cheri" that actually means "I love the one you love too, dear" lol.

in french, "mon cher" or "ma cherie" both mean "my dear". you say "mon" when the person you're referring to is male, and "ma" if it's a female.

"ton" litterally means "your"

"j'adore" means "I adore"

If you wanna say "I love you", it's "Je t'aime". You can also say "Je vous aime" if you're being respectful or if you're talking about a group of people that you love.

lol, maybe I should start a french thread and put my 14 years of french classes to good use >__<

^Really? So, the person isn't just saying "I love you too?" They're actually saying "I also love the one you love?" Can anyone confirm this?

Guest illumine*

maybe i can help?

translated in order:

"j'adorais ton cher aussi cheri" means i adore your expensive also dear.

j'adorais - i adore

ton - your

cher - expensive

aussi - also

cheri - dear

doesn't make sense? the order of the words in the sentence = wrong.

i don't get what it's trying to say so i can't correct it either.

but if you're trying to say "i adore you my dear," take off cher since it makes the sentence awkward because it means expensive (which doesn't have anything to do with you adoring the person).

translated to french, it would be je t'adore, ma cherie (to a girl) or je t'adore, mon cheri (to a guy).

=)

Guest putasmileon

It would be "Je te ai aimé cher aussi", but that literally means I liked you dear too. I think it's the same thing though, since the way they say I love you is "Je t'aime".

I LOVED YOU is Je t'aimais. For this context, you use the l'imparfait tense.

^Really? So, the person isn't just saying "I love you too?" They're actually saying "I also love the one you love?" Can anyone confirm this?

SORT OF. This sentence really makes no sense and the other Soompiers who add BS responses like "mon cher is MY EXPENSIVE" just confuse everyone even more. To clear that off, you can't say two adjectives together and make it a noun... in any language.

jadorais ton cher aussi cheri.

J'adorais = I loved/adored

Ton cher = Your love

Aussi = Also

Cheri = Dear/Love (as like.. "honey")

Together it's "I loved your love also, dear."

Whoever wrote it screwed up. But trust me, I'm right. Using French is part of my job...

maybe i can help?

translated in order:

"j'adorais ton cher aussi cheri" means i adore your expensive also dear.

j'adorais - i adore

ton - your

cher - expensive

aussi - also

cheri - dear

doesn't make sense? the order of the words in the sentence = wrong.

i don't get what it's trying to say so i can't correct it either.

but if you're trying to say "i adore you my dear," take off cher since it makes the sentence awkward because it means expensive (which doesn't have anything to do with you adoring the person).

translated to french, it would be je t'adore, ma cherie (to a girl) or je t'adore, mon cheri (to a guy).

=)

lol! yah, it's true that "cher" also means expensive, but it really depends on the context. the person here clearly means "dear" in the masculin sense. If you want to say "my dear" it's "mon cher" (when the person you're speaking to is male) or "ma cherie" (if it's a female). You can also say "mon amour", which means "my love"

if you wanna say "I love you, my dear/darling", it's "Je t'adore, mon cher/ma cherie/mon amour".

it also works out if you replace "Je t'adore" with "Je t'aime" (but personally, i think "j'adore" sounds better than "je t'aime". the first one rolls off the tongue better :P)

if you want to speak in the polite form (when speaking to someone you deeply respect or someone older than you", you should replace the " t' " with "vous", so that it becomes "Je vous adore mon cher/ma cherie/mon amour" or "Je vous aime, mon cher/ma cherie/mon amour"

lol first of all, you never put an ending vowel and a begining vowel together, so one should never say "Je te ai". It should be "Je t'ai".

secondly, if you say "je t'ai aimé" (the vowel thing doesn't count here since "ai aimé" is the verb "aimer" [meaning love] conjugated in the past tense) it litterally means "I loved you", as in "I loved you then, but not anymore", which is not really nice... lol.

lastly, you can't say "cher" by itself without a possessive noun

sorry if i'm coming off a little obsessive, but grammar mistakes really annoy me >____<

Guest Rainie_Days

lol first of all, you never put an ending vowel and a begining vowel together, so one should never say "Je te ai". It should be "Je t'ai".

secondly, if you say "je t'ai aimé" (the vowel thing doesn't count here since "ai aimé" is the verb "aimer" [meaning love] conjugated in the past tense) it litterally means "I loved you", as in "I loved you then, but not anymore", which is not really nice... lol.

lastly, you can't say "cher" by itself without a possessive noun

sorry if i'm coming off a little obsessive, but grammar mistakes really annoy me >____<

Lol don't worry, my fault really...yeah I understand what I done wrong now =\ my 4th year learning french and I still suck yet I manage to get good grades, LOL.

But yeah, thanks for correcting :)

Lol, no, I think you're right :D

J'adore means I love but it's more to do with the things you love, and not as in to love someone. To say I love you, it's "Je t'aime" which literally means I like you, but with the french, it means I love you :)

J'adore means I like, not I love. J'aime means I love. Like saying, I adore you, doresn't mean, I love you. It's more 'like'.

But yeah, most people wrote it right.

Guest mimi1931

1. during weekends, many people like to travel to different cities. cities such as Brussels, Paris, and Frankfart and much more. i think it is great that people can travel to different counties' cities so easily by train.

2. luxembourgian is not very different from america. their life is much like ours.

3. teenager like to surf the internet, meet friends for movie, go to mall, and watch TV. common things that teenagers do.

4. luxembourgian like wine and beer. adults like a night-life. they like to go to pub and have a good time. they party, dance, and drink.

PS. DO NOT USE TRANSLATER CUZ IT DOES NOT HELP

I AM DOING A PROJECT AND MY FRENCH SUCK

I DONT EVEN KNOW THE NUMBER IN FRENCH

THE SCHOOL JUST FORUCE ME TO LEARN FRENCH

SO HELP I JUST NEED THOSE SENTENCE TRANSLATED

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived