Studying Abroad

Guest dark_chancellor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest STEPHOO--

i'm thinking of trying student exchange australia . to like, study in the states for a few months ? . they say you have to be 15-18 years old . i'll be turning 15 in a few months . but i don't know if i should go ? . i just wanna go for the experience n stuff . my parents are pretty overprotective. they just don't understand ==' haha.

Guest lovesuju

HELLO! I'm from singapore and wanted to go korea to study . DO korea schools accept foreign students?and about how much will it cost if i study there for a year including sch fees, rent, etc... i plan to go during 2009 so i need to knw the amount and start saving cause my parents don't really support my idea of going to korea to study. They thought i'm just playing around . so if anyone can help me i'm really thankful. Anyone can give my a korea high sch in seoul web-site cause i only can find web-site of international sch . THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and by 2009 i'm 18 yrs old now i'm 16 (:

Guest briatrix kiddo

I was wondering what college level (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior, other, etc) should someone go?

Because I'm starting as a freshmen starting from Summer 07 and I'm just 16 so it would be really difficult for me to go anywhere since I'm underage. & I know this is a stupid question but how do you apply as an exchange student? Or is it the same as if you were a resident of that country? Can I get a scholorship? Would it have to be from (insert)country or would I have to find an American program which gives scholorships to people studying aborad? Wait..is there even such a thing :unsure: I personally don't know anyone who has done this, and I have no information of this at all so thanks for putting up with me >___________< :sweatingbullets:

Hi.

First of all, you need a visa and a passport. I'd apply now for a passport as it is a very long wait to get one. The type of visa you would be getting is a student visa. Financial Aid and scholarships are not available to non-citizens of Korea (or wherever you are thinking of going), you would need to get financial aid in the states and have a promissory note written to the school you are interested in. Your easiest bet would be to attend a state school that you know offers study abroad programs in the country you want to go to. Or research into the schools in the country of interest and look under their international student programs. I recommend waiting a bit before you go, find out waht you want to study FIRST, then look into schools. I am a senior in college and am currently looking into teaching english overseas in korea. this is another option for you (if you'd be willing to wait until after you're done with school).

If you want to message me with specifics about what you might be interested in, i might be able to give you more suggestions..

Hope that helps a bit..

Guest ueboprincess

wow its cool that lots of people here are going to study abroad different places...i wanna study in Japan...and maybe live there for a while but i dont know how to do the studying abroad stuff......and i dont know that much Japanese either so i was wondering that it wont matter if i dont know good Japanese the people over ther would teach me right????????

Guest pacman990

hey,

i was wondering if anyone here has had experience studying mandarin in china for a semester? I wanted to go between May 2008 and August 2008, preferably around Xi'an or Shanghai, but I haven't been able to find much info. The Chinese government's website (www.gov.cn) has a list of universities in China but I haven't had much luck getting them to answer my emails.

Right now I'm a university student in Canada but my university only provides exchange programs to Hong Kong, Australia, etc, so I don't think I'll be able to take that route.

Any advice will be appreciated :)

I guess this somewhat deals with studying abroad...

For those of you who are deciding to study abroad, how are you studying the new language?

I know in the US the colleges require a TOEFL test. I'm pretty sure there are other countries that require some sort of a language test to prove that you are fluent to be accepted to a university. I'm sure some might already know how to speak the language, but for those who need to prove your proficiency...

How would you study?

For those who has been studying or tried to study a language to speak fluently...

how long did it take you guys?

Guest Lycan

i think it depends a lot on the person

i learned english and frensh at school and i was able to understand almost everything in english after about 4 years and after 5 years of learning frensh i still didnt understand anything and dropped it ;)

But i was unmotivated and untalented

So if u r motivated and talented 1 year is probably enough to speak a new language on a decent level...depends on the difficulty of the language i guess ^^

The most important thing after u have learned the basics is to read/listen/speak a lot in that language

Guest hidekokirei

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to know the language of that country to study there? For example, I would love to study in Japan, even though my Japanese is definitely very limited. I would love to study in Japan for a semester, though, or maybe even China or Korean... but yes I was not sure if you are required to know the language to study there or if there are like English speaking professors...

Guest Seno

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to know the language of that country to study there? For example, I would love to study in Japan, even though my Japanese is definitely very limited. I would love to study in Japan for a semester, though, or maybe even China or Korean... but yes I was not sure if you are required to know the language to study there or if there are like English speaking professors...

If you want to study in Japan, I know that there are some schools that require you to have a basic Japanese background, and some schools that require nothing at all. it depends on the school. Most schools with exchange programs have classes taught in English for exchange students, but these are also open enrollment, so you would also be in class with native Japanese speakers.

Guest hidekokirei

If you want to study in Japan, I know that there are some schools that require you to have a basic Japanese background, and some schools that require nothing at all. it depends on the school. Most schools with exchange programs have classes taught in English for exchange students, but these are also open enrollment, so you would also be in class with native Japanese speakers.

Oh I see. Thank you! Now I am really interested!

Guest vc1188

I go to a UC and our study abroad program for Japan does NOT require foreign language experience. It depends on each school's study abroad program though. Some programs provide three-month long accelerated language learning classes you take abroad before your quarter/semester/year starts

ahh i didn't notice they have this thread but im glad its here. it helps a lot.

I've been studying abroad since I was 15. Now I'm 20. I finished high school and college in London, UK and currently goes to uni in Malaysia but plan on going to further my studies back in London or Australia next year.

From my experience, it's best to master the language of which ever country you're going to because that's how you'll be communicating with them. Don't worry about settling in and all that. It might take awhile before you get use to everything but you'll eventually settle down. People are generally nicer to students from abroad. At least that was how I felt. I've been treated very well by fellow students and lecturers. Make sure you are financially stable because that will help a lot expecially if your currency is different.

Guest miyuki

me too.. i plan to go to tokyo univ for my masters ^.^ and i think u need to know there language coz i check the program that im planning to go and all subjects are taught in japanese ^.^ but i dunno abt other programs..

Guest lovejoo

Does anyone have any information about Study Abroad programs for High School students? (Class of 08)

Hmm I want to travel to Hong Kong (!!!), Tokyo, or Seoul.

Help help?

thx ^^

Guest sentuhmentalfo0l

i want to go the london to study abroad..but i have no idea what classes to take bc i'm a bio major..

Guest jamasian

:lol: How cool! I was tryin to research just yesterday!

So I want to go to :ph34r: China for Spring of 2008. My school only offers Chengdu at University of Chengdu(Jan 6) and Shanghai at Shanghai University (Jan 11).

Anyone know anything about these places? :sweatingbullets:

Also does it matter which semester you start? :blush:

Thank Yee!

Guest otoko89

I go to a UC and our study abroad program for Japan does NOT require foreign language experience. It depends on each school's study abroad program though. Some programs provide three-month long accelerated language learning classes you take abroad before your quarter/semester/year starts

Im going to a UC college, and I've taken japanese at high school (4 yrs), and i plan to go study abroad my soph yr in college. Is there a way to pass the 3 month learning class by just taking a test? and how much more expensive is it to study @ japan? like food, housing, books, etc

Guest remadi

Does anyone have any information about Study Abroad programs for High School students? (Class of 08)

Hmm I want to travel to Hong Kong (!!!), Tokyo, or Seoul.

Help help?

thx ^^

I would suggest just doing a search online for high school study abroad. I studied abroad right after high school in the Netherlands with YFU (Youth for Understanding.) Another company that I looked at was AFS. There are others, too, though both of these are respected organizations. You just need to do a little searching online.

Archived