Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest j.a*star

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but what is a basic program I can use to mix ? Especially if need for collabs?

Guest myanh_tran

maybe you are just sick, it is the season for it. i think you should just take it easy and rest up. drink plenty of water and take some medicine. dont try to sing or anything. wait until you and your voice feel better then do some easy warmups and go from there. i doubt it could be anything serious since you have been working your vocals and you are sick, but thats just me. get well soon!!

thanks so much

i feel my voice coming back

but it's not sound like before yet

my throat is not hurt anymore( a little bit, but it's ok)

but when the night comes my voice starts to change, it's cracking, but i'm not worried

it needs time.

thanks for caring

thanks

Guest Ken1430262807

i lost my voice, i cant even talk right now,

i sing too much,

i sang for the church for christmas, and the instructor killed my voice,

i put all my energy in those songs, and i almost fainted

when i got home, i slept right away and woke up so late today

yesterday morning i think i spitted out blood, i'm so affraid that i cant sing anymore

my throat hurt everytime that i try to talk or swallow

oh and i'm so tired now, i'm sick too

have u went to the docter? :unsure: you spitting up blood kind of scary. i hope you haven't lost ur voice.

I've lost my voice multiple times from yelling-fests with somebody.

So.. is this damage permanent? Like is there permanent damage in this?

ok i'm not quite sure if this goes here or not, but it kinda has to do with recording. ok i use adobe audition or goldwave to mix and record. however there are MR's or instrumentals I download but i can't open them in those programs. they play fine on an audio playing program, but they can't be open in an audio editing program. whenever i try to open the file on goldwave/adobe audition is says "Could not open file. Either file does not exist or its format is not supported." the files i have r either in mp3/wma/wav format. the only audio editing program they can be openned on is audacity, but even though i open it on audacity i cant save as the file, cuz it says it could not. does anyone no the solution to these kind of problems?

Guest Fook You

ok i'm not quite sure if this goes here or not, but it kinda has to do with recording. ok i use adobe audition or goldwave to mix and record. however there are MR's or instrumentals I download but i can't open them in those programs. they play fine on an audio playing program, but they can't be open in an audio editing program. whenever i try to open the file on goldwave/adobe audition is says "Could not open file. Either file does not exist or its format is not supported." the files i have r either in mp3/wma/wav format. the only audio editing program they can be openned on is audacity, but even though i open it on audacity i cant save as the file, cuz it says it could not. does anyone no the solution to these kind of problems?

Check the bitrate of the music you're opening and what you're recording in.

Check if you have the LAME MP3 Encoder.

-Just two of the things I could think of right off the bat.

Guest Pinaiicolada

Question.

I have a dynamic mic

And I'm trying ta find a way to connect it to my computer

(You know, to record onto the computer)

This is possible right?

And I don't think that I'll need a pre-amp

because its not a condenser mic(?)

Guest --KagedKore787--

Question.

I have a dynamic mic

And I'm trying ta find a way to connect it to my computer

(You know, to record onto the computer)

This is possible right?

And I don't think that I'll need a pre-amp

because its not a condenser mic(?)

depends if you have 1/8 plugs; if you do, you can connect it, but for most dynamic mics, you need xlr cables to connect; most computers don't have this as an input. so you have to either get a mixer or an interface that bridges the connection between your comp and mic. mixers cost a lot, so unless you are serious about recording, interfaces are a good start. starter/low end models usually start around $150 i think. and nope, you don't need a pre-amp; only condenser mics do.

Kyo Hanjin: It happened with my Anyband instrumentals for some reason. I had to redownload it from a different place a couple of times before it worked ><

Guest Pinaiicolada

depends if you have 1/8 plugs; if you do, you can connect it, but for most dynamic mics, you need xlr cables to connect; most computers don't have this as an input. so you have to either get a mixer or an interface that bridges the connection between your comp and mic. mixers cost a lot, so unless you are serious about recording, interfaces are a good start. starter/low end models usually start around $150 i think. and nope, you don't need a pre-amp; only condenser mics do.

Ok since I'm bad at explaining these things Ill show

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X2...JJL._SS400_.jpg

My input is like that

the xlr thing goes into the mic

Guest --KagedKore787--

Ok since I'm bad at explaining these things Ill show

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X2...JJL._SS400_.jpg

My input is like that

the xlr thing goes into the mic

yup, those are xlr plugs and you'll need to get an interface if you want to connect that mic to your computer. xlr plugs provide better quality, but most consumer computers don't have the right soundcards to be able to use it; so that's why you need to get an interface. an interface is basically an external soundcard for your computer. you can connect interfaces to your computer through either pci, usb, or firewire. pci and firewire are the best choice as usb tends to slow down. pci is where you put it directly inside your computer like the original soundcard your computer came with. firewire, which i use, is the best choice, but your computer needs to have this firewire cable connection. It's labeled 1894. Search for 'audio interface' online and you could see the various brands. hopefully that helps! feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Guest Fook You

Uh...There seems so be one thing that wasn't mentioned, and I'd like to clarify. That cable is not XLR, it's actually considered a TRS. It has an XLR plug on one end (the fatter one), and a TRS on the other one (the thinner one), but since it can't really do what an XLR cable actually does, it's not really considered an XLR cable. The XLR adapter on one end, that's meant to go into your mic, is only there because most microphones don't use TRS output. It's merely there as a standard. Regardless, that cable works perfectly fine for a dynamic mic, but for condenser it will never work. Just out of personal distaste for the hype over XLR, I have to say this: Unless you have some amazing ears, there's not gonna be much difference from just TRS compared to XLR IF you are using a dynamic mic. However, if you are using condenser, you probably will need to use XLR. Condenser mics require something called "Phanton Power" If you look at the TRS compared to the XLR, they're totally different. The TRS is basically one pin, XLR is 3. You need XLR because one of those pins is capable of supplying the phantom power to the microphone.

So all in all, after all that gibberish, all I really meant to say was:

-Dynamic microphone: Not meant for recording anyways, so just stick to an interface and a TRS, no point going out to buy an XLR or spending money on other expensive recording equipment, cuz the Dynamic microphone has a limit to its recording abilitys -- Pretty low.

-Condenser microphone: Just like the internet, a condenser microphone is serious business. Need XLR, TRS will not cut it. Need preamp, and possibly a conversion interface. Further along, possible need of mixers and whatnot.

Guest twinklefish

Just wondering but how can you tell when one is singing from the throat or when one is singing from the diaphragm?

I know singing from the throat is bad, but I can't tell when I'm singing from the throat.

Singing with direct chest voice can be bad so most recommend singing with the middle voice, I'm trying to find my middle voice but I think I'm singing from the throat when I try to use middle voice. >_>;

Oh yeah...any suggestions on finding middle voice? XD

Check the bitrate of the music you're opening and what you're recording in.

Check if you have the LAME MP3 Encoder.

-Just two of the things I could think of right off the bat.

well all the files i'm using vary in bitrate. and i do have LAME mp3 encoder. it's weird cuz my friend can open the files on the same program on another computer. so anyone else have any solutions?

Guest Fook You

well all the files i'm using vary in bitrate. and i do have LAME mp3 encoder. it's weird cuz my friend can open the files on the same program on another computer. so anyone else have any solutions?

Lol my bad, not the bitrate, the sample rate. For instance, if your sample rate of the program is set to 44100Hz, you won't be able to open something that is in...say...22050Hz.

My bad, lol.

Lol my bad, not the bitrate, the sample rate. For instance, if your sample rate of the program is set to 44100Hz, you won't be able to open something that is in...say...22050Hz.

My bad, lol.

lol it's ok. so ya i tried changing the sample rate around. but it doesn't work still. also for some reason i can only change the playback rate when there's a file already opened in the program. does this mean only that file is affected by the playback rate or everythin else opened from then on?

[EDIT] OK LOL I FOUND THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM! so apparently u have to make sure that there's no foreign characters in the name of ur file. so basically make sure it's all in english. i think that's y i always had something like an invalid path, cuz it couldnt read the characters. thx though for all ur help!