Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

Yeah thats the one, and actually i just remembered your previous post- i'm not really using this to do any graphics work or anything, just a new daily usage plus some gaming, css, l4d2, LoL, maybe starcraft and diablo3 when it comes out. maybe i should get the t510 or 410 instead but when i configure it, it comes out to roughly the same price? But the video card is a NVIDIA NVS 3100m Optimus Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Memory for the T series, and its 512 MB compared to the 1GB one? Or maybe its overkill 

For about the same price, I'd go with the W510 and the FX880M (for the chip architecture). You'd get better gaming results if you can install GeForce drivers instead of the Quadro. Video memory isn't a big concern for laptop screen sizes. 

Also is the upgrade from 4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz  to 4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz for 80 bucks justifiable?

Those seem like the same specs to me. Unless it is a 2x2GB into 1x4GB module. With the price of DDR3 memory settling, you might as well just buy a 2x4GB set yourself later on if there is a need. 

For gaming desires, look at the Dell XPS or the HP Envy. They do not carry the utilitarian Thinkpad design but the graphic cards in those are better for your needs. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OldSpice

wow those do look like better buys

$1,384.99

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Silver Anodized Aluminum 14.0" HD (720p) WLED Display with 2.0 MP webcam

Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M 2GB graphics with TV Tuner

8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200

No Mobile Broadband Selected

Backlit Keyboard - English

$1,489.99- to be fair, this is the price for the beats edition lol so, it is actually 1389.99 for the regular envy

* • Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

* • Intel® Core i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz

* • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics [HDMI] - For Quad Core Processors

* • 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)

* • 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

* • No Additional Office Software

* • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++

* • 14.5" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1366x768)

* • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support (Slot Load)

* • HP TrueVision HD Webcam

* • Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

* • Red Backlit Keyboard

* • Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere® Elements 8

Looks like the dell is cheaper! but is the nvidia better than the ati though?

btw whats the difference between 4gigs of ram at 1 dim or 2 dimm?

I don't see much of a difference between ATi and Nvidia in the mobile sector. 

Paired modules are faster than a single (dual-channeling). The Envy would need another module for optimal performance. The Dell is great out of the box (and has 4GB more). 

Guest OldSpice

One last bit, but do i really need i7? i5? would i just be happy with a macbook pro 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? i dont really have to play video games.

Dual-cores for the most part are fine for games. I don't keep up with game development so I may be outdated but only a few utilize all the cores of a quad and two fast cores is enough for the average gamer.

A Core 2 Duo is not obsolete (however some may think it to be). They're just as good and I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be happy unless synthetic numbers mattered a lot. 

• 1 month later...
Guest ArmoredTurtleCow

What's the condition?

I'd try to haggle for $500 or under if it was in a pretty decent condition. If it's beat up, keep lowering.

He ended up selling it to someone else for USD620  >_< missed my chance TT

So I've ended up buying a Lenovo G560 for USD440.

MAIN SPECS:

Graphics Controller Manufacturer: Intel

Hard Drive (GB): 500

Hard Drive (RPM): 5400

Maximum Memory (GB): 8

Memory (GB): 4

Memory Technology: DDR3

Monitor Screen Size (inches): 15.6

Operating System: Windows 7

Optical Drive: DVD RW

Pointing Device Type: TouchPad

Portable Computer Type: Notebook

Processor Manufacturer: Intel

Processor Model: P6100

I've realised that this isn't for games, but I got swayed but the hard drive space and ram for the price. The processessor is apparently really bad being a Pentium Dual 2.0ghz. What are your guys opinions about this buy?

Okay, I'm gonna sound super clueless, especially since I'm studying Computer Science -_- But I'm planning to buy a netbook for Uni work. I won't be doing anything too intensive on it other than my assignments, which is mostly programming and maybe a bit of graphics stuff. I'm looking at getting something 13-14" cause anything smaller or bigger isn't gonna be comfortable. My budget's probably $500-600ish? Oh and I'm in Australia but I got no problem ordering anything online as long as the shipping doesn't kill.

Been looking at Lenovo stuff cause I've been hearing good things about it but they tend to be at the high end of my budget.

Anyone have suggestions? ^^;;

Hi all! I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on a good tablet to use for watching flash videos of dramas. Honestly, that's what I want to do with the iPad 3G+Wi-fi. But I heard it doesn't do flash, and there's really no comments/suggestions out there on how drama addicts watch their dramas on tablets.

I am planning on getting a Macbook, but sometimes when I have downtime at work, I wish I were streaming Running Man on an iPad. What do you think? Wait or get a tablet?

Thanks!

A tablet or a laptop tablet? Two different things.

Thanks orangeman. Actually, I don't know the difference. But for me, its primary use would be to stream dramas, or watch them with softsubs, and needs to be portable. What would be best for that purpose?

Guest IonNuke

He ended up selling it to someone else for USD620  >_< missed my chance TT

So I've ended up buying a Lenovo G560 for USD440.

MAIN SPECS:

Graphics Controller Manufacturer: Intel

Hard Drive (GB): 500

Hard Drive (RPM): 5400

Maximum Memory (GB): 8

Memory (GB): 4

Memory Technology: DDR3

Monitor Screen Size (inches): 15.6

Operating System: Windows 7

Optical Drive: DVD RW

Pointing Device Type: TouchPad

Portable Computer Type: Notebook

Processor Manufacturer: Intel

Processor Model: P6100

I've realised that this isn't for games, but I got swayed but the hard drive space and ram for the price. The processessor is apparently really bad being a Pentium Dual 2.0ghz. What are your guys opinions about this buy?

P6100 cpu aint bad. It's the same socket as the mobile Core i3 or i5s. So you can probably find a cheap priced i3 or i5 and give your notebook an instant jump ;)

Guest kyutflower

I just tried streaming drama using skyfire on the iPod Touch. Other than my usual problem of getting disconnected from my wi-fi at home (i think i need a better wireless router), skyfire has worked well (i watched ep12 of My Princess without it crashing; but i couldn't fast forward). Anyone else have any experience with skyfire drama streaming? Any issues?

I'm not thinking of getting an iPad and skyfire for the bigger screen and other apps. But I still am wondering if there are other portable devices better (and cheaper) at reliable streaming of flash videos for dramas.

Guest c0lap1nada

Any ideas on a 14-15'' laptop that is not Apple and is good for gaming (well you can play sc2 on medium settings)? Under 1k, preferably.

Edit:

I've narrowed it down to Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-6847:

14.0″ HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

Intel Core i5-480M processor 2.66GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium

Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset

4096MB DDR3 1066MHz Memory

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550 with Switchable Graphics technology

Any feedback? Thanks!

I've narrowed it down to Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-6847:

For the price, I'm not seeing anything else with a HD6550. HD5650 is a bit slower (39FPS vs 44FPS) but if you find a model with that for say $50-100 cheaper, think about the reduced price for a marginal performance loss. 

http://www.notebookc...ok.46094.0.html

The 5750G starts at $900. Comparable to the new Dell XPS 15 refresh but $200-300 cheaper on average for comparable specs. These are 15.6" screens though and apparently it's delayed due to that Sandy Bridge issue (which is now fixed). If you want to save more money, the 4-series from Nvidia averages 34-39FPS which correspond to the 5-series from ATI. This is going by that assumption of 30FPS+ being playable.

Since the Nvidia 5-series is coming out alongside Intel's Sandy Bridge refresh, you can get older models for around $600-800. 

Guest c0lap1nada

^ Hm, I always thought the 5650 was simply renamed 6550?

Thanks for the info, the 5750G seems promising based on the review, though it is pretty recent.

5650 is said to be very OC-friendly so it's probably not worth the extra cost of the 6550 (if any) for only a 50Mhz gain. The 6550 does have more voltage to aid in overclocking but it's a laptop and they have limits.

Sandy Bridge has that neat on-chip graphics solution although their next 22nm Ivy Bridge is supposed to take full advantage of it. Apple's new Macbook Pro refresh uses the HD3000 integrated GPU cores and the performance is close to a Nvidia 320M. 

Waiting to see if it offers benefits in professional applications. If it can accelerate software and assist a dedicated GPU, it would be quite valuable to professionals in various fields. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vongola

im plannin on buying a new laptop soon .. but im having a hard time to decide haha. Im looking for something that

has a battery life greater than 5 hours, 13,14, or 15 inch screen, something thin and light so i can carry it at

ease for university. Not really interested in macs at the moment.

Here are some of my my choices that im interested in:

1) Acer Aspire 3820tg TimelineX series

basic specs:

13.3" screen, i5-480M, 4GB ram, 500Gb hd, W7 Home Premium 64 bit, AMD HD 6550M and an estimated 8 hour battery life.

Thin and light, great for gaming, no optical drive

2) Asus u36jc-B1

basic specs:

13.3" screen, i5-480m, 4gb ram,500gb hd @ 7200rpm, W7 Home premium 64 bit, nvidea g310m 1gb and estimated 12 hr battery life

the thinnest of the 3 at 0.97", really light,magnesium alloy body, slick, no optical drive

3) Asus U30JC-QHDC1

basic specs:

13.3" screen, i5-460m, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, w7 home premium 64 bit, nvidea g310m 512mb, and an estimated 9 hr battery life

bulkiest out of the 3 = heavier and thicker, includes optical drive with blu ray i think...

Also interested in other peoples suggestions and other notebooks you recommend!

Archived