Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

Guest tieulongnhi

^^ dunno.. I just did a quick search about it and its more of a gaming laptop.. lol.. so I think I'll be okay with the one I ordered. :) thankies

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest M3ForLife

I've been thinking of buying a laptop for word processing and a bit of gaming as welll.

Can anyone recommend me any good retailers? Thanks.

I was leaning towards Toshiba and Dell. If there are better company, just tell me. Thanks.

Guest CK92842

I've used Asus notebooks in the past and they're great. Although considering the requirements by the latest PC games, you should be ready to spend top dollar for it. Here is a list of Asus notebooks sorted by best ratings. Choose a price which suits you and if I had to choose a notebook to replace my desktop then I would go with this one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834220022

So here is the list...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&SubCategory=32

Guest siren

:blush: Can someone help me decide which is the best laptop of the two I should get for college in the fall?

I'm looking at Sony Vaio FJ series ( Sony Vaio FJ Series ) :

img_seriesimage_FJbw.jpg

the only thing I don't like about the FJ series is that it doesn't have the new duo core prossesor and a tiny bit too big(14 inch), but not a huge problem.

But I'm tired with Sony Vaio since i had problems with it before...

-----

The 2nd one is the Macbook (Apple Macbook 13 inch) :

techspecssidebyside20060516.jpg

I've used sony, windows stuff all my life so I'm not sure if I'll be able to adapt to MAC, but i really want to try new things beside using sony, but the risk of not likeing apple will be costly.

PROS: -I found a website that sells Macbook 13 inch (perfect size for me) that's a bit cheaper than FJ series and a better deal overall.

CONS: never used Mac before so..not sure if MAC is good as Sony..

-----

Which of the two laptop should i get? I'm basically using the laptop mostly for school work and adobe photoshop and some online games. I don't know much about specs, but many people say Macbook is better. Thanks for helping/reading :tears:

Which of the two laptop should i get? I'm basically using the laptop mostly for school work and adobe photoshop and some online games. I don't know much about specs, but many people say Macbook is better. Thanks for helping/reading :tears:

The Sony Vaio FE is last years model.. it's already being replaced.. and at the price you're paying for what Sony wants..it's not too great.. especially compared to the new Macbook 13" which is a good deal.

The Macbook is better built, a much more solid machine, and is a pretty good value.. HOWEVER.. it suffers from some pretty bad heat problems.. both Sony and Macs tend to have more heat due to their thinness..however this Macbook is pretty bad. Perhaps in the future Apple will release some kind of bios upgrade that will solve it.. but who knows.

also one is 14" and the other is 13". Neither has a dedicated graphics card.. so you're running on integrated stuff.. which may affect games that are 3-D. Also you might want to check if the games you play are 1. graphics demanding. and 2. can run on macs. While macs could run windows (using boot camp) it's still not perfect.

if you need something portable but demand more graphic power.. the Asus A8jm is probably the best choice and value

http://laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...Product_Count=0

(sold here as the P1 MX).

it's 14", got a webcam, and an Nvidia Go 7600 with 512mb dedicated.

if you don't need that kind of graphics power and could settle for integrated or a lower graphics card..

Apple is a good choice.. and if you want Intel (and windows)..

the Dell Inspiron E14xx series, Asus Z62f, and Asus s62j are also good choices (the latter will be out soon).

Guest siren

^ :blush: thanks..very fast reply XD thank you so much for helping.

I don't play online games a lot and they're not 3D anyways (i play ragnarok XD) :sweatingbullets:

My main concern is if Adobe Photoshop would be able to run smoothly on macbook and if it'll be hard for a PC user to switch to Mac? :unsure:

^ :blush: thanks..very fast reply XD thank you so much for helping.

I don't play online games a lot and they're not 3D anyways (i play ragnarok XD) :sweatingbullets:

My main concern is if Adobe Photoshop would be able to run smoothly on macbook and if it'll be hard for a PC user to switch to Mac? :unsure:

ah, then integrated is quite fine for ragnarok.. it's not demanding on graphics. I think photoshop should be okay.. as for switching over.. that varies from person to person.. some switch over easily.. others never get over the one button click.

Guest siren

ah, then integrated is quite fine for ragnarok.. it's not demanding on graphics. I think photoshop should be okay.. as for switching over.. that varies from person to person.. some switch over easily.. others never get over the one button click.

:wub: thanks for answering all my questions ^-^ it really helped A LOT~!

Guest ___cee

Range, you seem to know quite a lot about notebooks ^^ Can you help me search for one?

So I'll be heading into my junior year of high school and I would like to buy a notebook that will last from this August until my senior year is over (I'll be buying a new one before college starts, of course). I'm not into games, but I will probably listen to music, look at photos, and watch DVD's on it.

I'm not a technical geek at all, so I need some help...first of all, what is RAM? And second, what is CoreDuo? Everyone seems to be talking about it, what is so special about it? Should I get a notebook with CoreDuo and lots of RAM?

As for price...under $2000? I also do not want anything to do with Apple or Macs because I don't work well with it. I'm too used to Windows. =P I would also like a sleek design...fairly good memory capacity...and I really don't care for size, but I'll be watching DVD's on it, so I don't know?

So do you have any notebooks in mind that are suitable for me?

Range, you seem to know quite a lot about notebooks ^^ Can you help me search for one?

So I'll be heading into my junior year of high school and I would like to buy a notebook that will last from this August until my senior year is over (I'll be buying a new one before college starts, of course). I'm not into games, but I will probably listen to music, look at photos, and watch DVD's on it.

I'm not a technical geek at all, so I need some help...first of all, what is RAM? And second, what is CoreDuo? Everyone seems to be talking about it, what is so special about it? Should I get a notebook with CoreDuo and lots of RAM?

As for price...under $2000? I also do not want anything to do with Apple or Macs because I don't work well with it. I'm too used to Windows. =P I would also like a sleek design...fairly good memory capacity...and I really don't care for size, but I'll be watching DVD's on it, so I don't know?

So do you have any notebooks in mind that are suitable for me?

well your needs are basic so alot of notebooks could do what you need. Core Duo is the current processor Intel is producing for notebooks.. it's also called Yonah and Napa. There's two processors.. cheaper models have Core "solo" processors. as far as RAM goes.. 512mb is sufficient.. but I rather have 1gb.. 2gb is a bit of an overkill. if you have the option to configure ram. i'd opt for getting one stick of 1gb.. that way if you need to.. you can add another stick and get 2gb in the future.

other wise, I think you need to go to a computer store and play around with some models to see which screen size you want. screen size also affects the weight and battery life.

Guest rinimeatballs

wow...i just read all these post.. anyways

hey range ^^

im getting a new notebook in the next 2 weeks or so.

i have a hp notebook zx5180 but its all messed up. i sent it in to hp for service on a key. they send it back voiding my whole warrnty because of waterdamage to the mother board. but there wasnt any water damage and since then things with the notebook have gone down hill but since the warrnty if void i cant send it in for repair for free anymore.

so now im looking at new notebooks and im a little scared to buy one cause they change so fast. my hp isnt even 2 years old let. but it has nothing that these new ones have. and the hp cost 1500. now im looking at the sony i think its fs series http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-N...roductDetail.do this notebook. but at bestbuy the guy said this is the older model of it and a new one will be out in a few days. but wont really change all that much.

im a student so. i write papers,listen to muisc have msn and aim open at the same time. while on the internet and downloading dramas and music. haha ALL at the same time of course. is this notebook good for all of that. the only game i play is sims 2. but i watch my dramas on it will they look ok on this notebook. also since i had such a crappy time with hp and there service. i was wondering about sony. are they any differnt. worse or better. the reason i like the sony is cause its pretty. i know lame reason to like a laptop. but i feel the look of it will still look nice a few years from now. and also it has a bulit in webcam and mic.

and i do alot of webcam chating with my penpals. also will it be hard to set up with my router i already have at the house. ive only had hp computers so this is a big step for me to break ties with them. :fury: errr. im scared ill be worse off then when i was with hp if i get any other type of notebook :tears:

wow...i just read all these post.. anyways

hey range ^^

im getting a new notebook in the next 2 weeks or so.

i have a hp notebook zx5180 but its all messed up. i sent it in to hp for service on a key. they send it back voiding my whole warrnty because of waterdamage to the mother board. but there wasnt any water damage and since then things with the notebook have gone down hill but since the warrnty if void i cant send it in for repair for free anymore.

so now im looking at new notebooks and im a little scared to buy one cause they change so fast. my hp isnt even 2 years old let. but it has nothing that these new ones have. and the hp cost 1500. now im looking at the sony i think its fs series http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-N...roductDetail.do this notebook. but at bestbuy the guy said this is the older model of it and a new one will be out in a few days. but wont really change all that much.

im a student so. i write papers,listen to muisc have msn and aim open at the same time. while on the internet and downloading dramas and music. haha ALL at the same time of course. is this notebook good for all of that. the only game i play is sims 2. but i watch my dramas on it will they look ok on this notebook. also since i had such a crappy time with hp and there service. i was wondering about sony. are they any differnt. worse or better. the reason i like the sony is cause its pretty. i know lame reason to like a laptop. but i feel the look of it will still look nice a few years from now. and also it has a bulit in webcam and mic.

and i do alot of webcam chating with my penpals. also will it be hard to set up with my router i already have at the house. ive only had hp computers so this is a big step for me to break ties with them. :fury: errr. im scared ill be worse off then when i was with hp if i get any other type of notebook :tears:

Well, what screen size would you like? your last one is 15.4" and I think you could easily move down to 14" as well, which would be significantly lighter. The guy was right that the Sony is an older model, and I don't believe that one you linked me has any dedicated graphics.

Sims 2 isn't very demanding.. and i THINK you could get away with using integrated graphics to run it.. but I'll mention some models with dedicated graphics..

for 15.4"

The Asus S96j is by far the best value out there for the power you get. It has an ATi x1600 which is more than enough for Sims 2 and will future proof your needs for some time. It's not incredibly attractive though, and it is a lil chunky (but still lighter and thinner than your last HP). but its got a good price tag. I can't really think of any other alternative 15.4" that is better looking AND offers the same power other than the macbook pro.. but the latter is much much more expensive, has heat issues, and of course, uses a Mac OS. And yes it has a built in webcam.

for 14"

The Asus A8jm (sold as the Portable one MX here) is the most poweful 14" released in the US. It's alot better looking than the S96.. and is 3lbs lighter than your HP. It has an Nvidia 7600 with 512mb dedicated and a built in webcam. It starts at $1599 which may be out of your price range..but it does offer alot for the money.

Later Asus will release the S62j.. which is also 14" and has a built in webcam.. but has the weaker Nvidia 7300 card, will be alot cheaper..and not as good looking. I expect this one to come around June.

the new 13" macbook also has a built in webcam and is pretty cheap too.. but it has significant heat issues and you'll need to see if you can handle MAC OS and if Sims 2 will run on it.

where can i get some dell coupons!?

try forum.notebookreview.com and look under the deals section

Guest kiye

thanks for starting this thread range :) first off, i'm technologically challenged. o_O; so keeping that in mind...lol. i think i am going to buy the new macbook, but i had several questions.

i go to many korean websites, and macs never seem to open them. do the new "intel" things fix this problem at all? or is it totally different? i've heard some people saying you can get on windows then back on mac or something? is the windows exact like PC? i'm just so confused with the whole windows integration into macs, i have no idea what all of it means. it'd be great if you could explain that.. heh heh.

also, around how many hours does it last? i've noticed the actual hours guaranteed for labtops is not what you really get :tears: and last but not least, about the heating issue. does that get in the way of the actual computer performance? or is it just that the actual heat gets really annoying? o_O;; hehe

and ...do you personally think the macbook is a good labtop for someone with very basic needs for college? i mean, all i would use it for is internet, hw, dvd, music... ^^;; i've been using mac for such a long time, i don't want to get a PC.. but since i'm so clueless about everything :sweatingbullets:

thanks so much for your help! and sorry about the silly questions -_- v

thanks for starting this thread range :) first off, i'm technologically challenged. o_O; so keeping that in mind...lol. i think i am going to buy the new macbook, but i had several questions.

which Macbook in particular, the new 13.3" the 15.4 macbook pro? or the new 17"?

i go to many korean websites, and macs never seem to open them. do the new "intel" things fix this problem at all? or is it totally different? i've heard some people saying you can get on windows then back on mac or something? is the windows exact like PC? i'm just so confused with the whole windows integration into macs, i have no idea what all of it means. it'd be great if you could explain that.. heh heh.

sounds more like a software issue than a hardware one. Windows on MAC rely on a program called Boot Camp which is still in Beta stages. It'll run your basic windows needs.. but more advance users have noted that there are some bugs and flaws.. if they will be fixed in future versions of boot camp.. who knows. just keep in mind that when switching over to windows on a mac laptop.. you may consider purchasing an external mouse so you can get your right click button.. not to mentoin that running windows creates more heat than running Tiger. the 13.3" machine in particular, has a nice build..but has very significant heat issues. The other macs also have heat issues (due to both the thinness and the the way they position their vents)..but the 13.3" seems to be worse.

also, around how many hours does it last? i've noticed the actual hours guaranteed for labtops is not what you really get :tears: and last but not least, about the heating issue. does that get in the way of the actual computer performance? or is it just that the actual heat gets really annoying? o_O;; hehe

3 hours seems to be the norm in the latest model of laptops when in conservative use. It ultimately depends on the specs. For example, something with a 2.0ghz processor vs a 1.8ghz will use more battery life and generate more heat.. like wise a hard drive running at 7200rpm vs 5400. if you want more than 3 hours.. you should invest in a model that has no dedicated video cards and at least a 6 cell battery.

and ...do you personally think the macbook is a good labtop for someone with very basic needs for college? i mean, all i would use it for is internet, hw, dvd, music... ^^;; i've been using mac for such a long time, i don't want to get a PC.. but since i'm so clueless about everything :sweatingbullets:

thanks so much for your help! and sorry about the silly questions -_- v

any current notebook will be able to meet those needs.. it's not very demanding.

Guest siren

"Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari. " (source here)

:unsure: now i wonder if i should even give mac a try... because i'm not sure if Apple's Safari will end up being like Netscape and Netscape does a horrible job veiwing webpages properly and since i like to webdesign i'm afaird that my work wont show up like it would for Internet Explorer...anyone know if Apple's Safari is good as Internet Explorer in veiwing sites properly. >.<

If not...i should just get sony right?

(getting a major headach researching about mac) :tears:

Guest rainbowdashkorea

Range,

I'm planning to get a laptop for college this year and I wanted it for gaming, movies, and regular use. Do you think the Toshiba Satellite P-105 is a good desktop replacement?

Link to Cnet Review:

http://computershopper.com.com/Toshiba_Sat...-2.html?tag=nav

Also, I will be going to school starting late August so do you think better laptops will come out around July-August?

Thanks!

Range,

I'm planning to get a laptop for college this year and I wanted it for gaming, movies, and regular use. Do you think the Toshiba Satellite P-105 is a good desktop replacement?

Link to Cnet Review:

http://computershopper.com.com/Toshiba_Sat...-2.html?tag=nav

Also, I will be going to school starting late August so do you think better laptops will come out around July-August?

Thanks!

There's not too many 17" out there that sport the Nvidia 7900 series.. infact I think it's just this, Dell's XPS and Inspiron E17xx series, and Clevo (aka Sager 5760).

Normally, I'd say avoid Toshiba because their build quality is sub par with lots of flexing. But in this case, it seems the P105 has a sturdy chassis and a solid keyboard.

Here's a review on a weaker version of the notebook using the 7300. the Chassis should be the same though.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...llite+P100+P105

Other wise try the Sager 5760.. it's more powerful than the P105 as its 7900GTX is superior to the 7900GS. Later on, Sager will release an upgraded version with 512mb dedicated vs the 256mb dedicated. This model also has a built in webcam. If you're un-familiar with who Clevo is.. they are a major laptop ODM that is popular with boutique gaming brands like Alienware and VoodooPC. Sager is the cheapest reseller (cheap as in hundreds - thousands less than what Alienware like to charge).. and they don't use shoddy components like the former, and offer better support. I've tried this one in person and can say it's a pretty solid machine. If you're going for this model, I suggest this online store:

http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?s...tegory_theme=c1

they've a very lenient return policy.

You might want to check out the Dells too (the XPS will probably be more expensive though, but not the inspiron, which has coupon codes)

Guest erure

Range i ordered the fujitsu p7120d and it's probably coming in 2 days! I'm really excited. Got any advice on taking good care of your laptop [even though this is like my 4th laptop =_=]? T_T

Range i ordered the fujitsu p7120d and it's probably coming in 2 days! I'm really excited. Got any advice on taking good care of your laptop [even though this is like my 4th laptop =_=]? T_T

hmm.. just remember it's a laptop not a desktop, so don't go about treating it like one. Periodically shoot some air into the vents. clogged air vents is one of the most common causes of heat build up and plastic warping.. and it will be something most sellers will attribute to the user being at fault, not the product. So make sure you clean that one often. Use a cotton cloth to clean the screen.. don't ever use adhesives (some idiot in another forum reccomended using tape). Battery life will eventually drop, and palm rests/keys will eventually fade.. its your normal wear and tear. Other wise enjoy!

try check out notebookreview.com and see if they'll let you write a review. If you do a review of your laptop based upon their guidelines and methods (they'll want you to run some software and hardware tests).. you can get paid $60 thru paypal or an Amazon card. They do already have a P7120 review, so not sure if they'll accept another one..but doesn't hurt to ask.. and i've seen multiple reviews on the same model.

Archived