Portable Hdd (external Hard Disk) Not Recognised

Guest kkkkk

I got a friend's HDD to backup some files, but the HDD doesnt work.

- When first plug in, the message 'USB Device not Recognized' is displayed after a long time of 'red-gren blinking LED lights'.

- On later attempts the LED is green, there is no error message, but still the drive does not appear.

? So do i need to install any drivers? The one available on the official site is (astone.com.au) just for windows 98 and i am running XP.

? The HDD works on my labtop and my school's computer.

? I tried the 'Disk Management' method but no drive is shown there.

:sweatingbullets: thanks!

I got a friend's HDD to backup some files, but the HDD doesnt work.

- When first plug in, the message 'USB Device not Recognized' is displayed after a long time of 'red-gren blinking LED lights'.

- On later attempts the LED is green, there is no error message, but still the drive does not appear.

? So do i need to install any drivers? The one available on the official site is (astone.com.au) just for windows 98 and i am running XP.

? The HDD works on my labtop and my school's computer.

? I tried the 'Disk Management' method but no drive is shown there.

:sweatingbullets: thanks!

Try restarting your pc and plugging into another usb port. What model is the usb HD?

also, if that doesn't work shut your pc down, disconnect from mains, maybe wait a few minutes and then turn it back on and see what happens. bizarre but it works for some people. You using a hub?

It is a Astone isodrive 100.

Restart and shut off mains and everything a couple of times, but no luck.

Nope, not using a hub, and i tried other usb ports.

Thanks!

Hmmm well I'm not really sure then. Perhaps try this one then, disconnect usb drive and then shut down, disconnect power and battery if it's a laptop, wait 30 minutes and try again. sounds like the typical support line response, but i work in support :) seriously it works for some people.

or you could uninstall all the usb drivers from device manager and then scan for hardware changes. it's all a bit hit or miss.

i bought a mac and leave all this hassle for work :)

Guest Fishscene

Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

Does the Hard drive show up there at all?

Have you checked Device manager to see if there are any conflicts or something that isn't set right?

yeah, since the beginning i tried this method to check but nothing is there.

sometimes there will be conflicts and but changing to another port doesnt work either.

Guest Fishscene

This is completely bizzarre.

sometimes there will be conflicts and but changing to another port doesnt work either.

Do you know what devices were conflicting? Maybe even screenshot it >_>

If you do see the Hard drive on the Device Manager list, right-click and select "uninstall". After it uninstalls it, unplug it, shut your computer down for 30 seconds (to clear the static electrcity), then power it back up and plug in the drive.

Windows may have installed a strange driver for it and is confuzzled.

Archived