Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

logo.png

January 16, 2015
'Ode to My Father' catches attention of US media
Source: Korea.net
The film "Ode to My Father" has stirred interest among U.S. media outlets. 
The film is about a boy who grows up and then grows old living through Korea's turbulent modern history. He is also the eldest son and keeps a lifetime promise to his father he made when the family fled southward and sought refuge in Busan in 1950 during the Korean War. Since the movie's release on December 17, 2014, favorable reviews quickly spread by word of mouth. It has now become only the 11th film in the history of Korean cinema to break the 10 million tickets sold mark, as it did on January 13. father-150116-1.jpgA Wall Street Journal article about the film 'Ode to My Father' is released on January 12.
On January 12, the Wall Street Journal released an article about the movie, "In 'Ode to My Father,' Korean History Used as Backdrop for Personal Tale." The newspaper wrote that the protagonist, Duk-soo, begins his life with, "the evacuation of 14,000 refugees by U.S. cargo ship SS Meredith Victory from Hungnam Port during the Korean War," and writes that, "Duk-soo's Forrest Gump-like encounters with the country's influential figures, including Hyundai Group founder Chung Ju-yung, add humor to the film." 
The newspaper also quoted director JK Youn who said, "The theme of this film is harmony and communication, not to incite social division. I hoped that young people would better understand their parents and grandparents by watching how hard their lives were.” 
Youn also said that he made the movie because he wanted, "to say that I have tried my best to live well and that I really miss him," referring to his own father. 
The Los Angeles Times also touched on the film in its article, "South Korean 'Ode to My Father' expertly mines human drama," on January 8. The daily described the film as, "Tugging shamelessly yet persuasively on the heartstrings," and wrote that, "director JK Youn, responsible for the tsunami blockbuster 'Tidal Wave,' has an undeniable knack for crafting crowd-rousing, character-driven spectacles." 
"Each sequence is masterfully calibrated for maximum lip-quivering effect, swelling strings and all, but none jab at the tear ducts more than the re-creation of a 1983 live TV broadcast that reunited families displaced by the Korean War," the newspaper wrote, adding that the film handily topped the final "Hobbit" installment at the Korean box office. 
father-150116-3.jpgThe main character Duk-soo in the film 'Ode to My Father' works in a mine in West Germany.
The Hollywood News wrote in its review of the film on January 4 that, "Like many Korean films, 'Ode to My Father' is focused on family life," and that, "we soon find ourselves heading back in time as we begin to understand protagonist Yoon Duk-soo's attachment to his shop." 
It also said that, "the powerful emotional segments bring in high moments of melodrama, but these are quickly complemented by rather broad comedic moments," and said this could be a film for the whole family, from young kids to great grandparents. 
father-150116-2.jpg
The LA Times described the film 'Ode to My Father' as, 'Tugging shamelessly yet persuasively on the heartstrings.'

The film 'Ode to My Father' is showing at 40 theaters across the U.S. and is attracting many movie-goers. It has also been invited to the 65th Berlin International Film Festival's Panorama section. 
By Limb Jae-un Korea.net Staff Writer Photos courtesy of CJ Entertainment jun2@korea.kr 

January 16, 2015
Movie Review: Ode to My Father (2014) by refresh_daemon http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/01/movie-review-ode-to-my-father-2014/

gukje_20.jpg
Ode to My Father (or Gukje Market, 국제시장) really lives up to its English title, being a kind of summary of chunks of Korean history from the Korean War into the 1980s, representing some of the biggest events in the lives of many Korean seniors. The film has been very well-received by Korean audiences, with huge numbers at the box office; it recently surpassed 10 million overall tickets sold. (Teaser here.) That said, the film never really forges a real overarching story, instead relying on a series of tragic or heartwarming events to propel the whole thing forward.
Read complete review at DB

January 19, 2015
Korean Films That Will Shine in Berlinale 2015Five Korean Films Confirmed for Official Invitation
 by MIN So-yeon, YOON Ina / KOBIZ

FrrYbFPFaQCtcvlDvYGD.jpg
The 2015 Berlin International Film Festival has invited features Ode to My Father, Revivre, End of Winter, short film Hosanna, and a documentary An Omnivorous Family's Dilemma.
Five Korean films were invited to the 2015 Berlin International Film Festival which is scheduled to be held from February 5th to the 15th. Out of the five are three feature films, one short film and one documentary. One thing to note is that the selection comes in various genres. First of all, Ode to My Father by director JK YOUN is currently the most popular film in Korea and has surpassed ten million admissions. This human drama was invited to the panorama section, which is known to feature excellent works of high quality and commercial popularity or works by directors worth watching for the year. This section welcomed Untold Scandal (2004) by E J-yong, Woman on the Beach (2007) by HONG Sangsoo and The Unjust (2011) by director RYOO Seung-wan in past years. Kukje Market, one of the main backgrounds of Ode to My Father is an old traditional market in Shinchang-dong of Busan. When the Japanese departed Korea on the heels of Korea’s liberation, the market took shape there. It soon expanded and was known for its large amounts of U.S. military supplies after the breakout of the Korean Conflict and goods smuggled via Busan Port. Even today, the market is bustling with people and business. The story of Ode to My Father unfolds mainly in and around the market. Director YOUN who enjoyed big success through Haeundae (2009), shed a new light on Busan with warmth.   Its story unfolds with Deok-su who has gone through the turbulent modern history of Korea since the Korean War in the 1950s. Deok-su was a young man with many dreams, but he never lived for his own interest. He struggles for his family during his entire life, withstanding the pain of his era. He settles in Busan as the head of his family after losing his father and younger sister while fleeing his town during the Korean War. As he grows up, the times are tough. Deok-su drudges away at work to support his mother and two siblings, but it wasn't enough. When he gets older, Deok-su decides to fly into Germany as a miner and meets his wife-to-be, working as a nurse. However, his stable and happy life is short-lived. The Vietnam War breaks out and Deok-su voluntarily goes to the war site for a new job and gets amputated. Even after returning from the war, he is drawn into the vortex of Korea’s tempestuous modern history. One day, a campaign program for reunion of dispersed family members allows Deok-su to reunite with his younger sister who he lost during the evacuation. Deok-su expresses his regret and sadness through tears.       
Ode to My Father is commonly called Korea’s Forrest Gump. This is because Deok-su, the hero of Ode to My Father directly embraces the modern history of Korea just like Forest Gump. Ode to My Father inked three million admissions within ten days since its release and it recently passed the ten million admissions milestone. Cross-generation sympathy played a key role in the film’s remarkable success. The first Korean megahit of 2015 reminded middle-aged and the elderly of their past and drew nostalgia. The modern history of Korea and experiences of the older generation came across as dramatic and fresh to the younger generation.      - See more at: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/features.jsp?pageIndex=1&blbdComCd=601024&seq=319&mode=FEATURES_VIEW&returnUrl=&searchKeyword=#sthash.cEQfoY2R.dpuf

January 20, 2015

‘Ode’ holds on at No. 1 against ‘Love Forecast’
BY JIN EUN-SOO [jes@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

After a tight race against local rom-com “Love Forecast,” director Yoon Je-kyun’s “Ode to My Father” held on to its first place at the local box office for the fifth consecutive week. 
The film, which traces Korea’s period of modernization after World War II, stars Hwang Jung-min as Deok-soo, a sacrificial father figure for his family. Last week, it became the first movie this year to break the 10 million admissions record. 
This milestone is the second of its kind for director Yoon, who already achieved the feat with “Haeundae” in 2009. 
“Ode” sold 808,141 tickets over the weekend and has made 86 billion won ($79.8 million) so far. 
Newly released “Love Forecast” by Park Jin-pyo fell slightly behind “Ode,” amassing an audience of 678,610 over the weekend. The film features actor-singer Lee Seung-gi as Jun-soo, a naive elementary school teacher who tries to win the heart of his childhood friend, Hyun-woo, a popular weather presenter who seems to have no interest in him whatsoever.
“Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb,” the third installment of the popular Hollywood adventure series, opened in third place, selling 422,734 tickets in Korea. 
The comedy adventure flick stars Ben Stiller as night guard Larry at the Museum of Natural History where the animal models on display come alive when the sun goes down.
Actor Ha Jung-woo’s second directorial feature “Chronicle of a Blood Merchant,” based on best-selling Chinese novelist Yua Ha’s book of the same title, saw 417,418 attendees over the weekend. 
Combining the original heart-rending family story with a good dose of humor, the ambitious film also boasts a stellar cast, including Ha himself. Ha Jung-woo plays Sam-kwan, who marries Ok-ran, the most beautiful woman in town. 
Clint Eastwood’s action movie “American Sniper,” which opened in seventh place in Korea, topped the North American box office during the weekend, pulling in $90.2 million, according to Box Office Mojo. The true-life story of late U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle stars Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller. 

January 21, 2015

“Ode to My Father” Breaks into Top 10 Box Office Hitshttp://www.soompi.com/2015/01/21/ode-to-my-father-breaks-into-top-10-box-office-hits/

ode-to-my-father1.jpg
According the Korean Film Council, “Ode to My Father” ticket sales have reached over 11.37 million, launching it into tenth place in Korea’s all-time box office ticket sales list. The most recent ticket sales numbers have surpassed the 2013 film “The Attorney,” which previously held the number 10 spot. If ticket sales continue at this pace, the film will soon pass “Haeundae,” currently in ninth place, which sold over 11.45 million tickets.
An official from CJ Entertainment, the film’s distributor, stated, “Steady word-of-mouth about this authentic ‘national movie’ that follows many generations continues to sell tickets. Even as other prominent new films opened in the five weeks since the film came out, ticket sales are not slowing down. Where will it ultimately end up on the box office ranking list?”
Currently, the top 10 movies ranked by ticket sales in Korea are, in order: “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” (2014), “Avatar” (2009), “The Host” (2006), “The Thieves” (2012), “Miracle in Cell No. 7” (2013), “Masquerade” (2012), “King and the Clown” (2005), “Taegukgi” (2004), and “Haeundae” (2009).
Starring Hwang Jung Min, Kim Yunjin, and Oh Dal Soo, “Ode to My Father” follows the life of one man through the events of Korean modern history, from the Korean War to the present.

January 21, 2015
Smash-hit films criticized for political leanings‘I took out political events that could be sensitive and create an uncomfortable atmosphere.’ ‘I want to produce a TV drama that explores the Fifth Republic, which was considered evil.’
BY JUNG HYUN-MOK [sharon@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21072516.jpg
Directors Yoon Je-kyun, inset left, of “Ode to My Father,” and Yang Woo-seok, inset right, of “The Attorney” discuss their movies, which have garnered criticism for their perceived political intentions. Behind are the lead characters from their films. Hwang Jung-min, left, plays Deok-soo in “Ode” while Sang Kang-ho acts as Song Woo-seok in “The Attorney.” Provided by Kim Jin-sol (Studio 706)
It only took 28 days for Korean film “Ode to My Father” to hit the 10 million admissions mark on Jan. 13. It also remained in first place at the local box office for five consecutive weeks. 
Millions of viewers have laughed and wept with Deok-soo, the lead character played by actor Hwang Jung-min. As head of his family he lives through various historical events such as the Hungnam Evacuation during the 1950-53 Korean War, the government’s decision to dispatch nurses and miners to Germany in the 1960s and the Vietnam War. 
21072627.jpg
Actor Hwang Jung-min, right, who plays lead character Deok-soo in “Ode to My Father,” puts his hand on his heart in the middle of a quarrel as a flag-lowering ceremony begins. Until the mid-1980s, Koreans participated in a nationwide flag-raising ceremony at 8 a.m. and a lowering ceremony at 5 p.m daily.
However, some people have criticized the movie, directed by Yoon Je-kyun, for being a right-wing film that emphasizes just one side of Korea’s modern history. 
Similarly, despite attracting more than 10 million viewers, “The Attorney” (2014) by Yang Woo-seok was embroiled in criticism for being seen as too left-wing. 
21072644.jpg
Lawyer Song Woo-seok (played by Song Kang-ho), the main character in “The Attorney,” pleads on behalf of university student Jin-woo, who was used as a scapegoat and accused of being involved in pro-Communist activities. Provided by each distribution company
Are the two controversial films truly lopsided, and did the directors produce them with the intention of creating political divide? 
The JoongAng Ilbo recently sat down with Yoon and Yang to hear their opinions. 
Q. Yang, how do you feel about Yoon’s film?
A. Yang: I feel that this kind of film is indispensable for our society. It gives us a chance to ruminate on the modern history of Korea. Portraying how this country was able to achieve today’s development from rubble through one man’s life is an astonishing achievement as a movie director. I believe “The Attorney” is also in the same line as “Ode” for that same reason: It allows us to ruminate on the valuable past that is gradually being forgotten by the people of today.
What do you mean by giving us an opportunity to ruminate on the past?
Yang: If “The Attorney” evoked the value of democratization, “Ode” sends a message that we must not forget the efforts of the older generation that contributed to the industrialization of Korea. The movie accurately, yet in a moving way, delivers detailed tales of their hardships and suffering that could only be explained by the older generation over a bitter drink. The biggest problem of our society today is forgetfulness. As these two movies help people remember the valuable past that should never be forgotten, I believe they are on the same track.
Unlike “Ode,” in which the lead character is fictional, “The Attorney” dealt with a real person.
Yang: I understand our turbulent past in the 1980s through two figures. During the threatening military regime in the early ’80s, a lawyer who seemed far from the pro-democracy movement [of the time] jumped into the center of it after one incident. He was former-President Roh Moo-hyun. The other person is former Blue House economic policy maker Kim Jae-ik, who strengthened the foundation for industrialization and informativeness. Thanks to them, Korea was able to achieve both industrialization and democratization at the same time in the 1980s. I was very interested in producing a film based on Kim, but I ended up making “The Attorney” first.
Yoon, you have emphasized several times in the media that you purposely excluded political issues from “Ode.” But some people argue that decision in itself is very political.
Yoon: All I wanted to do was make a family movie that could be watched together by three generations. That is why I purposely took out political events that could be sensitive and create an uncomfortable atmosphere.
Many people also view “The Attorney” as a political film. How do you feel about this?
Yang: I don’t think “The Attorney” is a political film. All I wanted was to ensure that the existence of this one person who lived fiercely through the time would not be forgotten. “The Attorney” is also a movie that portrays a father figure who lived for his family. I wanted the young Koreans of today who don’t understand the time to learn about it through the movie.
It has been said that “Ode” could also create communication between generations. Do you think this is true?
Yoon: I wanted young Koreans to take this opportunity to understand their fathers and grandfathers. Young people could also argue that they are living a difficult life and are experiencing their own kind of suffering and hardships. They can say that they don’t have hope for the future. But I think this argument itself can trigger a conversation among three generations. I never imagined that it would be embroiled in political controversy.
Yang: I believe people just framed “Ode” as a movie that stimulates a political divide just like they did for “The Attorney.” Using “framing theory” like this, which labels any kind of incident as either leaning to the right or left by picking out several words and phrases as politically controversial rather than trying to understand the actual context, is rampant. I also thought, after watching “Ode,” that young people may feel disappointed so it came as a surprise when it was the progressive side that seemed disappointed. My guess was wrong.
Do you think that disputes among generations have become that much of an issue?
Yang: We should think deeply about why the recent television drama “Misaeng,” which portrayed the joys and sorrows of a young temporary employee, created such an explosive response. I believe disputes among the “Ode” generation and the “Misaeng” generation are far more productive than the dispute that has been created among the conservatives and the progressives.
Yoon: “Ode” being buried in such political logic and being compared to “The Attorney” as two opposite political films is circumstantial evidence that our society is not at all healthy. It’s a tragedy of our society.
Why do you think this framing theory has even penetrated the film industry?
Yang: It is because there is a group that believes that the energy created through conflict is more beneficial than the energy created through a harmony of understanding and sympathy. They believe conflict is more advantageous to them than healing. That is why they are continuing to spark arguments and are making it an issue. 
Yoon: Whether conservative or progressive, they don’t have to understand each other, but they at least need to acknowledge each other. The character Deok-soo in “Ode,” works his fingers to the bone with an urge to make sure his children live a better life in a better society than he does. In “The Attorney,” the lawyer Song Woo-seok, gives up his pursuit of success as he believes his children should grow up in a just society. Who can argue that either one of these breadwinners is right or wrong? 
Are you saying that industrialization and democratization should not be considered as two opposing values? 
Yang: The two values can never be separated. Democratization’s industrial value is enormous. Moreover, it’s difficult for democratization to be achieved unless some level of industrialization is at its foundation. Both of the movies attracted more than 10 million admissions and that means the public did not see them as having a biased perspective. Korean people are like an ocean that embraces both the values in the movie. Upon strong winds, waves can crash here and there, but the ocean itself never moves. 
Is there going to be a sequel for “Ode”?
Yoon: The initial script included vast content that even covered the pro-democracy movement. But it was difficult to include all that in one movie. Next time, I want to produce a movie where Deok-soo and his family pass through the difficult democratization period in the 1980s and ’90s. Like “The Attorney,” one of Deok-soo’s family members could be involved in the pro-democracy movement. 
Yang, what opinion do you have on the generation that went through industrialization?
Yang: I am very interested in that generation. Recently, I have been thinking about producing a movie about ramyeon. I want to tell a story of our early years of industrialization through instant noodles. Ramyeon is a cheap food that keeps even those suffering from poverty full. Back then, large business entrepreneurs produced instant noodles as relief goods. President Park Chung Hee was also interested in developing ramyeon. If I have the opportunity, I want to produce a TV drama that explores the merits and demerits of the Fifth Republic [the government under Chun Doo-hwan from 1979-87] again, which was considered by society as absolutely evil. 
Do you think people who watch these movies will experience the same emotions?
Yang: Maybe a feeling of remorse and thankfulness, as well as sympathy. The subject may differ, whether it’s a specific person or a specific generation, but the emotion felt by the audience will be similar. 
Yoon: I hope people don’t get pulled in by comments on the Internet that have somewhat reached the extreme. I believe the Korean audience are smart people who can keep a balance. 

January 25, 2015
Ode to My Father moves US audiences
By Choi Yearn-hong The Korea Times
150125_p16_Ode.jpg
Actor Hwang Jung-min in a scene from "Ode to My Father" / Courtesy of CJ E&M
The original Korean title of the hit film "International Market" was changed to "Ode to My Father" for the Western audiences. 
I think the western title is more poetic and has more meaning to me as a Korean son during the Korean War (1950-1953) thankful for my father, and all fathers who endured difficult times in fighting poverty in a war-torn country. 
As a Korean-American, I want to dedicate this movie to Captain Leonard LaRue of the Ship of Miracle who saved 14,000 North Korean refugees in December 1950. 
The movie's Korean title is "International Market" in the southern port city of Busan. My American friends cannot or may not figure out what the international market means or implies. The international market sold foreign goods during the Korean War (1950-53) and after. Some called it Yankee market. 
The movie begins with the SS Meredith Victory, also known as the "Ship of Miracles" and its Captain, Leonard LaRue. 
This freighter ship was intended to sail to Heungnam Port in North Korea in order to supply oil to the U.S. troops, but could not, because the U.S. forces had already retreated from the massive Chinese attack on Dec. 10, 1950. Captain LaRue decided then to use this opportunity to evacuate the thousands of North Koreans seeking safety in the South. In the end, Captain LaRue saved 14,000 refugees and transported them to Busan in the freezing winter waters. 
In those disorderly chaotic crowds in the Busan harbor, one family separated. 
The storyline of the movie begins when Duk-soo and his family separate upon arrival as Duk-soo's father remained in the port to find his daughter. Before they part, Duk-soo's father makes Duk-soo promise to take on the role of the first son and support the family while he is gone. Mother and her two sons and one baby daughter settled in Busan. 
A difficult life was waiting for the family. Duk-soo took the promise to heart and took on jobs in order to make a living for his family. He later went to West Germany to work in coal mines in order to earn money to support his family in the 1960s. He saved and bought a house. He married a Korean nurse whom he met in Germany. 
Later, in the midst of the Vietnam War, he decided to move to Vietnam to buy the shop his aunt, his father's sister, owned and managed in the International Market. Understanding the dangers that lay ahead of him in a war torn country, we later learn that Duk-Soo came to Vietnam with the hope that this is where he would eventually reunite with his father, as promised by his father in his last words to him before separating at Heungnam port. 
Time passed like an arrow. His aunt and his mother passed away. One dramatic story was finding his own sister separated in the port in December 1950 when the nation's largest broadcaster KBS opened the nation-wide campaign to find "separated families" in 1983. 
Duk-soo and his family had a telephone contact with a woman in Los Angeles. She was the Duksoo's lost sister at the Heungnam port. She was adopted by a U.S. soldier and grew up in Los Angeles. She came to Busan to see her family. One year later, her mother passed away. Duk-soo realized the time passed like an arrow. He is an old man to have grandchildren. He sacrificed his life for the family as the first son, and gave up hope to find his father. Then, he made a decision to sell the shop in the International Market. 
Duk-soo represented the Korean people of his generation in poverty who witnessed the nation's economic development. The movie is dedicated to all fathers who overcame all the difficulties, pain and sorrow. The father's will to the first son who must take care of the family was fulfilled. His life experiences became a symbolic of modern Korea. 
Sacrifice for the family was the motive for hard working people. This movie showed how beautiful one man's sacrifice is. It is no wonder that it has attracted 10 million people in Korea in less than a month, and 100,000 viewers in the United States. 
It was an incredibly sentimental movie for me; I had tears in my eyes throughout. I wish and hope this movie may teach all those who are interested in knowing how Korea achieved its miraculous economic development. 
Choi Yearn-hong, poet and writer, is the founding president of the Korean Poets and Writers Group in the Washington Area.

January 27, 2015
Actor Yeo Jin-goo, 17 going on 25
By Kwon Ji-youn The Korea Times

14-01(360).jpg
Actor Yeo Jin-goo poses before an interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, Jan. 21. / Yonhap

Yeo Jin-goo is just 17, but he has all the makings of a fine actor ― a thirst for cinematic quality, an eye for detail and a genuine curiosity about a character's psyche.
This time, he will take on the role of a 25-year-old patient who has been frequenting a dingy psychiatric facility atop a mountain for the past six years.
Yeo's looks, deep voice and tact helped him enact a convincing 25-year-old in the film "Shoot Me in the Heart," but he needed something more to play the part of a persuasive schizophrenic.
In an interview with The Korea Times, Yeo said he is rarely satisfied with his acting, but depicting a character suffering from a traumatic disorder made this even more demanding.
"The message that the film is trying to get across is great, as is the way the film looks on the screen," he said. "But my acting at the beginning was shaky. Soo-myung has endured emotions that are not easily experienced."
Mun Je-yong's new film tells the story of Soo-myung whose peaceful life is thrown into disorder when he meets Seung-min, a walking time bomb. The film is based on award-winning novelist Jeong Yoo-jeong's 2009 book of the same title.
"I realized about half way through that I was relying too heavily on the original book for tips on understanding Soo-myung," Yeo said. "I was trapped inside the book, and that's why my acting was so stiff."
Particularly difficult was identifying with the character, he said. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder often characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to acknowledge what is real. In "Shoot Me," Soo-myung attempts to escape reality, traumatized by his mother's suicide.
"Depicting the transformation Soo-myung undergoes as he overcomes schizophrenia was tricky," Yeo said. "In the end, I asked someone who used to treat such patients for advice.
"I also went to the original writer, and what she told me was that Soo-myung is actually a very smart kid," he continued. "This came as a shock to me. When she said this, all the questions that I had evaporated, and I found myself deep in thought about why this kid could be deemed smart."
Yeo knew this would be a challenging film for him, but this was what attracted him to it to begin with. His acting finally began to nail the character after several scenes with Seung-min, also 25, who is portrayed by 30-year-old Lee Min-ki.
"Lee's lines definitely helped me find a focus," Yeo said. "But I do feel that more research would have helped me maintain balance in earlier shoots."
Yeo describes "Shoot Me in the Heart" as a movie for this generation's youth who are in need of a pick-me-up.
"The drama Misaeng was dedicated to working men and women, while Ode to My Father was truly an ode to our fathers," Yeo said. "While Shoot Me may not be as realistic, I think films dedicated to our youth don't need to be so rational."
Yeo, who debuted as a child actor in the 2005 film "Sad Movie," said this film, rather than expanding his acting spectrum, gave him a chance to pull himself back together. And though he has now been an actor for 10 years, he feels he still has much to learn.
"I want to continue to challenge myself," he said. "I hope to one day appear in musicals and plays, and perhaps star alongside actors like Ha Jung-woo and Hwang Jung-min. It still hasn't sunken in that 10 years have gone by since I began acting. There's still so much I have to do."
In ten more years, Yeo hopes to grow into an actor with all sorts of metaphorical scars and dents.
"The kind who has undergone all sorts of experiences," he said.
In the meantime, while he feels a strong connection to Soo-myung, Yeo stressed that he does not want to spend his youth escaping from his past and locked up in his own self.
"No offense, but Soo-myung can be stifling," he said. "He's the kind of person who sinks because he doesn't face his issues head on, feeling relieved in a way that no other would find possible. I believe young people shouldn't be afraid to charge forward because, well, they're young."
"Shoot Me in the Heart" opens today in local theaters.

January 28, 2015
‘Ode to My Father’ still strong at box office
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150128
“Ode to My Father,” directed by Yoon Je-kyoon, has been watched by over 12 million moviegoers since its release, data from the Korean Film Council showed Tuesday.
It became the eighth local film to reach the 10 million milestone in ticket sales here, following “The Attorney” (2013) and “The Admiral: Roaring Currents” (2014).
Director Yoon had already secured a solid status with “Haeundae,” which joined the 10 million club in 2009. 
Amid disputes over its alleged attempt to gloss over the injustices of the dictatorship era, speculation is mounting over whether it will set a new box office record. 
Released on Dec. 17, “Ode to My Father” follows the life of an ordinary family man, Deok-soo, through the country’s tumultuous modern history. 

Calling All Soompiers!http://www.soompi.com/2015/01/20/calling-all-soompiers/

Hey Soompiers!
Help us make 2K15 the Year of Soompi!
Let us know what your thoughts are about SOOMPI through a short survey. What do you like? How can we improve?
Plus – if you take our survey we’ll be choosing 2 responses to win an album of choice (up to $25 dollars) from the Soompi Store!
Take the survey by February 2nd for your chance to make Soompi history and also win your favorite album. It’s a win-win situation!
Take the survey now and remember,
http://soompi.polldaddy.com/s/help-improve-soompi

January 29, 2015
Meeting with 'Ode to My Father' stars
PYH2015012806730031500_P2.jpg
President Park Geun-hye talks to stars and producers of box-office hit movie "Ode to My Father" and other officials before watching the movie at a theater in Seoul on Jan. 28, 2015. (Yonhap) (END)

January 29, 2015
President takes a day off to go to the moviesThe historical drama “Ode to My Father” moved Park to tears
BY SEO JI-EUN [spring@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

29005356.jpg
President Park Geun-hye on Wednesday takes a seat in a local cinema to watch “Ode to My Father,” a Korean film that has already attracted over 12 million viewers to become the sixth-most popular movie in Korea, along with the movie’s director Yoon Je-kyun, actor Hwang Jung-min and actress Kim Yoon-jin. [NEWSIS]
President Park Geun-hye visited a local cinema on Wednesday to see “Ode to My Father,” a Korean film that has already attracted more than 12 million viewers to become the sixth best-selling movie in Korea. 
The historical drama moved the president, according to the Blue House, and she wept during some parts. 
Her excursion to see the movie, which has been widely said to be “inspiring patriotism” for its historical context, came as part of her monthly routine of visiting a cultural attraction or event to mark the government-designated Culture Day, which that falls on the last Wednesday of each month. 
“As many already know, the film is based on the real life of the parents’ generation, depicting their sacrifices and experiences with fun and touching scenes,” the president told the audience before the film began. 
“I heard the film has greatly helped the younger generation communicate better with the elderly, which led me to realize that good cultural content contributes to social integration.”
Congratulating the film’s success, the president even told her entourage that she brought a handkerchief in case she started to cry. 
Accompanying her at Yongsan CGV in central Seoul were the film’s director, Yoon Je-kyun, actors Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yoon-jin, famous for the U.S. TV series “Lost” as well as government officials in culture and executives from the film’s distributor CJ. 
Nurses and miners dispatched in the 1970s to Germany, known as guest workers, and those separated from their family members during the 1950-53 Korean War were also invited. 
The movie, which is entitled “Gukje Sijang” (Gukje Market) in Korean, depicts the life of a man born in 1942 who survives the 1950-53 Korean War and works to become a breadwinner during South Korea’s era of modernization. 
The accumulated number of viewers surpassed 12 million as of Sunday, the sixth biggest box office in the country’s cinematic history. 
The president’s comments on Dec. 29 on the hit film stirred controversy over patriotism and political ideology. 
While presiding over a meeting, she cited a scene in the movie in which a married couple suddenly stop fighting to pledge allegiance to the nation as the national anthem starts to echo outside across the park they were at. 
“There are lyrics in the anthem that concern loving the nation regardless of whether you are happy or in pain,” she said. “That way, our precious community could continue developing under any adversity.”
Many liberals and young people cynically dubbed the presidential remarks as anachronistic. 
The movie’s story line, which was intended to depict the country’s rapid industrialization as well as the lives of those in the older generation also triggered ideological debate between conservatives and liberals. 

January 29, 2015
The Face of the Father in Today’s Society
by KIM Heung-suk / KOBIZ
XCfxUPzSjGzZyZHyEUxT.jpg
Sincerity is the middle name of actor HWANG Jung-min. Ode to My Father is about the life of Duk-soo. In this film, HWANG played the character from his twenties to seventies. Many believe that without HWANG, the film could not have left an impression on audiences. The most recognizable feature of his acting is that it isn’t artificial. But this does not mean that he projects himself on his characters either. HWANG builds a triangular relationship among the actor, audiences and the character. HWANG knows that an actor’s excessive immersion into his character backfires, failing to win over audiences. The seasoned actor also understands that if an actor keeps too great a distance from his character, sincerity will evaporate. HWANG embraces his characters just outside of the borderline from damaging their true purity. Thus, sometimes, it seems that he chooses typical characters. And perhaps some may think HWANG doesn’t take acting seriously. These points can be attributed to the fact that his approach to his characters is very instinctive. HWANG has a power to simplify a complicated mechanism called ‘acting’ as much as possible. Most of all, the actor is quite skilful at stimulating audiences’ feelings.  When HWANG barely landed a role in Waikiki Brothers (2001) after turning 30, few expected that he would become popular. This was because despite being an actor, he has ordinary facial features. HWANG may have a sincere look and a tough masculine image, but he wasn't in any way special or out of the oridinary. While it seemed that HWANG could not easily break away from this stereotype, a big turning point came with A Good Lawyer’s Wife (2003). HWANG played a contradictory man named JOO Young-jak that created a very unique nuance and shattered audiences’ preconceptions towards character analysis.  Afterwards, HWANG showed the extremity of manhood by combining a wide array of tones and feelings. If president BAEK in A Bittersweet Life (2005) is the extreme of a dirty villain, Seok-jung in You Are My Sunshine (2005) is a man of extremely pure love. In several films, HWANG tried opposing characters. He attempted to play a character with a vague feeling in the psycho thriller Black House (2007) whereas he crossed realities and imagination in A Man Who Was Superman (2008). But audiences were most excited about films where HWANG’s characters exploded. Bloody Tie (2006), The Unjust (2010), New World (2013) and Man In Love were such examples. Characters struggling in the world of crime were deemed as films suitable for HWANG Jung-min. However, in Ode to My Father, HWANG escaped from his previous masculine characters and plays an ordinary person. This film made HWANG a more trusted actor, beyond a performer with excellent acting skills. If HWANG’s images in his previous films are of typical males, Duk-soo in Ode to My Father is a character who labors through his life with a sense of responsibility as a good son, father and husband. Now, whatever character HWANG selects, the respect which he earned by way of Ode to My Father will follow him.hjm_kofic1.jpg

logo.png

January 29, 2015
President emphasizes cultural content
Source: Korea.net
President Park Geun-hye has emphasized again the importance of well-made cultural content in contributing to communication between the generations and in promoting social integrity. 
On January 28, the first “Cultural Wednesday” of 2015, President Park watched the movie “Ode to My Father” with film industry representatives, with people who worked in Germany as miners and nurses in the 1960s and 1970s and with members of families separated by the division of Korea. 
“I brought a handkerchief because I heard the movie has a lot of touching scenes. The movie proved that good cultural content can greatly contribute to helping social unity,” said President Park in a meeting with the director Yoon Je-kyoon, with the actors, including the two main performers in the film, Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yunjin, and with representatives of the film industry.
“This film portrays very well the real lives of our parents, their real experiences and the sacrifices they made, backed by historical fact. It is also fun to watch and to see people touched by the movie, which greatly helps youth understand the sacrifices of earlier generations and helps communication between them,” said the president, while praising the movie, which has been a box office hit. 
VIP_0128_movie_L3.jpg
President Park Geun-hye (center), talks with “Ode to My Father” director Yoon Je-kyoon, stars of the movie, including Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yunjin, and representatives of the film industry on January 28.
VIP_0128_movie_L2.jpg
Hwang Jung-min (right), the main actor in “Ode to My Father,” takes a selfie with President Park Geun-hye (second from left).
“The way to keep the culture industry growing is to create an environment where talented and creative individuals can work comfortably and in a rewarding manner,” said President Park. She also mentioned that the standard employment system and the four basic insurances applied to all workers during the production of “Ode to My Father.” The president hoped that such practices could spread to all movie-producing environments. 
“Excellent cultural content can even lift the pride of the people and boost the vitality of life. No book will ever make people understand as much as this movie did,” said the president. While listening to the main actress Kim Yunjin talk about drama production in the U.S., the president said, “The shortcut to developing the culture industry is to create a good environment for workers so that they can work better.” 
“The box office success of 'Ode to My Father' raised public interest in people who worked in Germany as miners and nurses in the 1960s and 1970s. This has also led to an increased number of visitors to the German Village in Namhae, Gyeongsangnam-do (South Gyeongsang Province). This is a good example where a combination of the arts and tourism created added value, which also revitalized the local economy there,” said the president. 
By Yoon SojungKorea.net Staff Writer Photos: Cheong Wa Dae arete@korea.kr