Chinese Style Birthday Cakes

Guest cherryonken

Guest cherryonken

Are there any recipes for this? The usual spongecake I make seems so much more heavier compared to the sponge in this cake O_O...I'm starting to sound obsessed.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jenniful92

my favourite!!!

when i was little i loved these and icecream cakes

now icecream cakes are way too sweet >w<

spongecakes + cream + fruit = LOVE.

Guest ANYOTHERDAY

I don't mind them, but I'm not a fan of cream.

They aren't pricey where I live because theres a lot of stores in my area that sells them. They have cute designs though.

Guest AirMaxFiend

100x better than any other cake. It's so refreshing. Even if you put sour fruit on it, it'll taste good. They're like 50 bucks for like a small 8 serving cake though.

Guest o0hsvinqieee

I use to like it A LOT. Especially the fruit with cream. But I ate it way too much and got sick of it lols. In the U.s, they're between 9-25 dollars? Depends on the size and everything. Those are for birthday cakes only. But like the really tiny ones that you can eat for snacks, you can get it from 50 cents to may be 2.50.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

how much does it cost in the UK?

I personally don't like it because I'm not a cake person in general (besides tiramisu and cheesecake) but if i had to choose between this bd cake and the regular western style cakes then I will eat it because it's not as sweet.

but I don't relaly like it..especially the chestnut ones >.<

same here! my friend loves them, especially the chestnut ones though =.=

They're like 50 bucks for like a small 8 serving cake though

that's crazy...where are you from? here you can get a fairly large one big enough to serve at least 15 people for less than $20.

Guest brightrose

do you mean fruit cakes? there yummy! but I dont necessarily think there are chinese though...alot of other asian bakerys sell them too

Guest JayCy90

o_O I didn't know it's so pricey out there.

I'm from Malaysia and those cakes are very common.

So, it's one of the cheapest kind of cake.

Never really like it though but yea.. you won't get sick of eating too much of it. I like it straight from the frigde.. ^_^

My family always buy cheesecake or chocolate mud cake for birthdays :P

What a fattening family~ wahaha

Guest cherryonken

how much does it cost in the UK?

my one (Pictured on 1st page) cost about £40 - thats about $79 rounded up.

Some can go up to $200 - seriously.

do you mean fruit cakes? there yummy! but I dont necessarily think there are chinese though...alot of other asian bakerys sell them too
- hmm I wonder where the origin is actually - I always assumed it was from China because its sold in their bakeries and supermarkets and everyone possibly jumped on the bandwagon - also at every Chinese birthday they always have this cake :lol: .

Guest buuberry

:blink: why are they called chinese cakes?? :huh: i thought they were pretty common! haha. maybe coz of the place tt i live in. i call them cream cakes instead. heh.

pricey?! for real! -gasp-

i shld go set up a cake shop in the US and sell em cheap! coz its cheap to make! provided of coz you have the skills. but ya, any basic baker shld be able to make tt. heh.

Guest ricmindy

Now I know how big the world is... >__<

I thought that these 'Chinese cakes' that I've been eating since young were western cakes!!

A small cake I got for my mother's birthday:

mumbdaymd2.jpg

But what's the difference between Chinese and Western ones? I'm not even sure whether I've eaten a 'Western style cake' before. Are they the ones with rich cream/chocolate?

Guest sugar_puff <3

lol thats the only kind of cake we ever eat on every occasion.. typical chinese family lol.. but its cuz the cakes from white places are too sugary such as the icing and it just taste too sweet and filling -_- and their designs arent as great.. and not as much flavors for choice ...prices range from ($16-24 CAD in Toronto)

Archived