Chinese Style Birthday Cakes

Guest cherryonken

Guest cherryonken

so light!
Do any of you have it for your birthday cake? They're just so yummy because its not too sweet and light to eat. I love the adorable designs you can choose too! But my favourite is of course the fruity decorations with fresh strawberries/lychees/tangerines - just thinking about it yum yum yum! I don't know about the US but its pretty pricey where I am in the UK - its cosy though you go to the Chinese bakery and order it to be specially made for family/friend etc.

You know the ones with the light sponge, cream and fruit. There's something about the way its made that makes it possible to eat a big slice without feeling ill. In fact I'm craving it right now because they sell a simpler version in the form of a roll at the Chinese bakery.

Some asked why specifically Chinese~style cakes as opposed to Western sold ones - I find the latter too rich, no doubt I love my chocolate but it's too much;

A Western Style Chocolate Cake:

Birthday%20-%20Choc.JPG74.jpg.

I also dislike ones with thick fondant icing as cute as some of the designs are:

birthday-cake-candle.jpgbirthday-round-8.jpg

Examples of Chinese birthday cakes:

JJs-birthday-cake2.jpg4525049_90fb88c3fd_m.jpg

EDIT;

credits to wishiwsh for posting the following recipe:

CHINESE SPONGE CAKE

(Gai Don Go)

1 1/2 c. cake flour, sifted

9 eggs, separated

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 c. sugar

1/2 c. water

1/4 c. oil

1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites until slightly foamy. Add 1/2 teaspoon cream of

tartar. Beat again till stiff. Sift together flour, baking powder

and sugar. Add to egg yolks; add water, oil and vanilla and beat

until creamy. Pour the mixture over egg whites gently and fold

until well-blended.

If using a 9 x 13 pan, bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

If using a tube pan, bake 35-40 minutes, inverting tube pan upside

down while cooling.

Serve with fruit topping and whipped cream.

Got it from http://www.recipecottage.com/asian/sponge-cake04.html

Anyone who tries out the recipe ~ let me know how it tastes! Ditto if I get round to it >_<

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest xsilentangel

i thought it was simply light sponge cake, with cream and fruit between two layers of it, and the outside covered in frosting and fruit o_O

but i'm not sure.. i do eat it every year like 3 times for my whole life though O_O

now i'm hungry :o

Guest DUMBBUTTxP

I love those cakes! Whenever I eat it, I always try to get my hands on the lychee&strawberries first. I love the cake with durian inside. :) Yum~

Guest cherryonken

^ Lol make up your mind!

Anyhoo - some pictures which don't show THAT much justice to how truly great these cakes are O_O apart from my one hehe, sorry I can't get over them:

product2.jpg

and here was my 2006 cake!

image110bz6.th.jpg

wowowowowoowwowo.

Some are pretty pricey - that was about $80 (working out the US equivalent here hehe) and I heard some can top about $200!!

Guest THiS ONE LOSER

I loveeeeeee those! Seriously, especially the fruit. :] My mom always buys it at the local Chinese bakery when a birthday comes by. And it's not too sweet.

Guest chibi_chibi

I love those cakes! Whenever I eat it, I always try to get my hands on the lychee&strawberries first. I love the cake with durian inside. :) Yum~

Haha!! My fave!! Durian inside the cakes are the best!!! But fruits and taro and other types are also delicious!!! *rubs tummy* All in all Chinese cakes = the best IMO.

Guest TrainDriver

my sister's friend owns a chinese cake shop where i live. i love how its really light as well, a nice change from the usual heavy cakes that u get.

Guest xCookies

I live in the U.K and mostly get them from China Town or See WOo.

There yummie, but If i eat too much it makes me sick.

Also agreed with above, sometimes there is too much cream.

Archived