Song Il Kook 송일국

KonaBeans

3 hours ago, starfire182921 said:

Thank  you @starfire182921 The link goes to the non-subtitled cut, so I suppose the clip with English subtitles was not posted yet. Thanks anyway.:)

• Like 2

Review of 2nd episode is out...

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" Episode 2

fullsizephoto670390.jpg

As much as Yeong-sil loves science one fact is unassailable- his cultural background is unimpressive. So while other better pedigreed kids in the family study all day, Yeong-sil has to do hard labor and wait until nighttime to do science, which is fortunate because this episode Yeong-sil decides to learn everything he can about the moon. In this case "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" takes an unusual approach to the scientific method by using it to explain wrong science- specifically, geocentrism.

This makes for interesting material because while it's all fun and games to talk science up as awesome and amazing, the fact remains that for most of human history scientists have gotten lots of basic aspects of the universe wrong. This isn't because they're incompetent, but rather a symptom of how there's only so much that can be done with limited tools. Most of the time it's easier to try and work within the confines of an old theory rather than try to build up a new one from scratch.

Once again, the parallelism to King Taejong is striking. King Taejong obviously wants to improve the state of science in Joseon, but he's completely locked in by Goryeo thinking. Even though King Taejong understands how Goryeo thinking is flawed, he's too used to the framework to be able to give up on it completely. For all his obvious wisdom King Taejong is a rather clueless sovereign. Observe how King Taejong's very manner and bearing is completely terrifying to anyone aside from his children. King Taejong never catches on to this.

It's from this background that "Jang Yeon-sil - Drama" ends up moving on to the adult portion of the story (featuring Song Il-gook) much more quickly than I was expecting. The reason for this is that, as a kid, Yeon-sil is stuck in a rut. Absent of major political reforms there's not very much Yeon-sil can do for the sake of science except continue making calculations at his hideout in his free time.

By the way, kids, that's the kind of cool stuff you can do if you get into science- build super cool mini-fortresses with moving parts and stargazing. I have to say, by the way, that the set design "Jang Yeon-sil" is quite excellent. Whoever's building this stuff knows exactly what they're doing. The editing's pretty sharp too- I love the diagrams. And as for the music- was it just by imagination, or were there bagpipes in there at one point? Very solid stuff.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jang-yeong-sil--drama-episode-2-90064.html

• Like 7

Daehan, Minguk, and Manse Attempt Shopping Alone on “The Return of Superman”

Daehan, Minguk, and Manse Attempt Shopping Alone on “The Return of Superman”

On the January 3 broadcast of KBS 2TV’s “The Return of Superman,” the Song triplets were seen running errands in the street market by themselves.

song triplets

The triplets challenged themselves to pick up things without their dad Song Il Gook’s help, running around with a list of things to buy. Minguk and Manse‘s resolve crumbled when they were offered snacks by the vendors, and they stopped shopping in order to partake in the snacks.

But Daehan showed a different side to him compared to his younger brothers. While his brothers were busy munching on snacks, Daehan set out by himself to buy pickled daikon. He showed a firm example of how to be responsible as the eldest brother. Soon, the other two brothers did their best to complete the errands following in their eldest brother’s footsteps.

song-triplets

What a good brother!

http://www.soompi.com/2016/01/03/daehan-minguk-and-manse-attempt-shopping-alone-on-the-return-of-superman/

• Like 6

The responsible Daehan sounds a bit anxious when he is trying to explain to Song appa that there is no danmuji (yellow pickled radish), therefore he could not complete the buying list, look at the way he holds appa's hand, it melts my heart...

3oxRmqJMccVxXmC99u.gif

RAPlhIw.gif
Love the way SIK showing his care towards Daehan by touching/pinching his cheek...SWEET!

• Like 11

Wow!  It's amazing!  I knew about this dramacool site but I never expected they produced the subtitles themselves.

Horray!  Can't wait to go home and watch the 1st epi tonight.

@hummer82, Mr. Hummer, I hope you have seen the dramacool link from previous page (sorry we're not allowed to quote the link).   I know you have been waiting so long for SIK's historical drama come back.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, adelinetew said:

Review of 2nd episode is out...

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" Episode 2

As much as Yeong-sil loves science one fact is unassailable- his cultural background is unimpressive. So while other better pedigreed kids in the family study all day, Yeong-sil has to do hard labor and wait until nighttime to do science, which is fortunate because this episode Yeong-sil decides to learn everything he can about the moon. In this case "Jang Yeong-sil - Drama" takes an unusual approach to the scientific method by using it to explain wrong science- specifically, geocentrism.

This makes for interesting material because while it's all fun and games to talk science up as awesome and amazing, the fact remains that for most of human history scientists have gotten lots of basic aspects of the universe wrong. This isn't because they're incompetent, but rather a symptom of how there's only so much that can be done with limited tools. Most of the time it's easier to try and work within the confines of an old theory rather than try to build up a new one from scratch.

Once again, the parallelism to King Taejong is striking. King Taejong obviously wants to improve the state of science in Joseon, but he's completely locked in by Goryeo thinking. Even though King Taejong understands how Goryeo thinking is flawed, he's too used to the framework to be able to give up on it completely. For all his obvious wisdom King Taejong is a rather clueless sovereign. Observe how King Taejong's very manner and bearing is completely terrifying to anyone aside from his children. King Taejong never catches on to this.

It's from this background that "Jang Yeon-sil - Drama" ends up moving on to the adult portion of the story (featuring Song Il-gook) much more quickly than I was expecting. The reason for this is that, as a kid, Yeon-sil is stuck in a rut. Absent of major political reforms there's not very much Yeon-sil can do for the sake of science except continue making calculations at his hideout in his free time.

By the way, kids, that's the kind of cool stuff you can do if you get into science- build super cool mini-fortresses with moving parts and stargazing. I have to say, by the way, that the set design "Jang Yeon-sil" is quite excellent. Whoever's building this stuff knows exactly what they're doing. The editing's pretty sharp too- I love the diagrams. And as for the music- was it just by imagination, or were there bagpipes in there at one point? Very solid stuff.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jang-yeong-sil--drama-episode-2-90064.html

William Schwartz also wrote an impressive review of Kimchi Family.

http://www.hancinema.net/guest-review-fermented-family-49321.html

• Like 5

HI K.B.

Yes, I did see the site that one of the ladies mentioned. I have not heard of this site before but It's in my Favorites now and I will be using it to watch other historical dramas that I want to see. Like you, I am surprised that they were able to add Eng. subs so soon. I've already watched Ep. 1 and like it.  I also like the guy that plays SIK's dad in Ep.1. He also was in KOTW. Also a few familiar faces from past historical dramas. K.B. I'm so happy that SIK is back and doing a historical drama. It has been a very long wait for all of us. And at my age, time is everything.  I just hope this is just the beginning of more dramas to come. He is after all......."The Korean John Wayne-Never Makes a Bad Drama".

• Like 6

The Families of “The Return of Superman” Wish Viewers a Happy New Year

web_3667792748_01c3d3a9.jpg

On January 3, the families of “The Return of Superman” sent their New Year blessings to viewers.

“Thank you for loving Sarang so much,” Chu Sung Hoon says. “Happy New Years.”

Meanwhile, Lee Dong Gook sings with Seol Ah and Soo Ah.

The twins, Seo Joon and Seo Eon, show their mischievous side by fooling around while sending their New Year blessing. Afterwards, Song Il Kook and the triplets also chime in, saying, “We hope your new year is filled with good news. Fighting.” Man Se especially shows his love by kissing the camera.

“The Return of Superman” is a program in which celebrity dads try to raise their children without the help of their wives. Its current members are Lee Hwi Jae’s Seo Eon and Seo Joon, Song Il Kook’s Dae Han, Min Gook, and Man Se, Chu Sung Hoon’s Sarang, and Lee Dong Gook’s Jae Shi, Jae Ah, Soo Ah, Seol Ah, and Daebak.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, KonaBeans said:

Wow!  It's amazing!  I knew about this dramacool site but I never expected they produced the subtitles themselves.

Horray!  Can't wait to go home and watch the 1st epi tonight.

@hummer82, Mr. Hummer, I hope you have seen the dramacool link from previous page (sorry we're not allowed to quote the link).   I know you have been waiting so long for SIK's historical drama come back.

LOL, you must be kidding. Dramacool never produce their own subs. It's someone upload VIU Singapore's subtitles to subscene. And Dramacool use that subtitles. You can watch many dramas and shows legally with sub up to 8 hours after airing, if you are in Singapore.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VENLOW said:

LOL, you must be kidding. Dramacool never produce their own subs. It's someone upload VIU Singapore's subtitles to subscene. And Dramacool use that subtitles. You can watch many dramas and shows legally with sub up to 8 hours after airing, if you are in Singapore.

Hi @VENLOW, thanks for the info. Would you mind to share the link. So we can share with other supporters from Singapore as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Like 3