Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

hello everyone!! :grin:

first off ... i truly love the pictures of hyo joo in 'grazia' ... she is simply beautiful ... like i have always known her to be! i am also intrigued by her wearing two watches!! hahahaha!!  must be for two time zones!! *lol*  looks unique ...maybe its fashionable to do so nowadays!! hehehe!

chyantrils25: i have yet to see hyo joo in full in a variety show ... since i don't watch much variety shows!! hahaha!! but the one i saw her on was ..i think 'running man' ...hope i am correct in this ...and she was really funny there!! so watching her in '2N1D' will be really an experience since junho and jongmin are both so silly ... i just can't wait! :w00t:

hyo joo looked really good at the conference of 'love, lies' ... that's a pretty good view of her lovely legs really! hahahaha! though i've always loved her in a more girly dress ... the earrings were not so nice with the blouse she wore ... but who cares, right??!!  she is lovely and she carried it well! hahaha! hmmm...were there two conferences then?? i see her in a really lovely dress in the second conference?? 

i love that hyo joo is venturing to other types of role to widen her acting experience!!  i am hoping she can be someday in the likes of jeon doyeon (hope i got her name right!) who is an exceptional actress and can play any type of role.  it would be really interesting to see her bad side in 'love,lies'!!  i know that she will do great!! :wub:

as always ... waiting in anticipation ...

• Like 3

Guest kaz11

Thank you for the updates. I love  seeing the women's on and off-screen chemistry, it would break my heart knowing that Love, Lies is a tragedy. But I am so excited to see their contrasting characters and fate.

Anyway, I fell asleep looking at some reviews online after the press preview, some are positive while others not quite. But one of the positive things pointed out was that of the acting, of Hyo Joo and Chun Woo Hee in particular. I just relied on GT, of course, so if inaccurate please correct me. I just hope that  Love, Lies will receive positive reaction from the audience when it opens, regardless of the critics' evaluation.  The Beauty Inside did not receive a good (critics') rating on Naver and yet, it was a hit. And I LOVE that movie lol.

Found an English review of the film: 

(Movie Review) 'Love, Lies': immaculate period reconstruction of 40s Seoul

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, April 5 (Yonhap) -- The word "gisaeng" beams mostly negative images as a hostess and prostitute in modern-day Korea. But it originally referred to female artists who worked to entertain dignitaries and kings with dance and singing, poems, calligraphic works and paintings during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), the last kingdom of Korea. And that was the occupational pride retained by So-yul, a girl raised and educated at one of Korea's last-remaining, top schools for training gisaengs in Seoul in director Park Heung-sik's new film "Love, Lies."

In the period drama set in early 1940s Seoul under Japan's colonial rule, So-yul develops a close friendship with classmate Yeon-hi (Chun Woo-hee) as both are talented students at the past's equivalent of a K-pop entertainment agency.

So-yul is acknowledged to be a master in "jeongga," a vocal genre in traditional Korean music, despite her young age, and has striking good looks, too, while Yeon-hi is born with a beautiful voice that tugs at people's heartstrings. So-yul comes to harbor a dream of becoming a pop diva after her boyfriend, hotshot composer Yun-woo (Yoo Yeon-seok), asks her to sing a song that he is going to make to soothe the mind of the Korean grassroots suffering under Japan's brutal colonial rule.

But Yun-woo soon changes his mind, captivated by the beautiful voice of Yeon-hi that he comes to hear by chance. And then a tragedy begins as jealousy drives So-yul to make extreme choices to regain everything that she thinks was stolen by her friend.

The story follows So-yul's life into a downward spiral of tragedy, leading to her final downfall. Where "Love, Lies" falters is in the storyline. The story is more solid than in director Park's preceding film "Memories of the Sword," a Korean-style wu xia film with lots of melodrama. It is very vague, however, as the details of the shift of Yun-woo's love from So-yul to Yeon-hi are absent, and there is little offered on why Yeon-hi doesn't feel any remorse for being in relationship with her best friend's lover.

Despite Han and Chun's brilliant performances in the film, Chun's singing ability was not good enough to make audiences believe that the character possessed mesmerizing talent as a singer. (The three main cast members -- Han, Chun and Yoo -- actually sang or did the instrumental performances of the period music.) At least Chun's singing scenes should have been aided by a professional singer. Also awkward was So-yul's very unnatural makeup as an elderly woman in the ending. Her wrinkles, age spots and gray hairs did little to make her look old.

While the film definitely has its drawbacks, you basically overlook or ignore them because of its immaculate period reconstruction. More than anything else, the film serves as a showcase for the trends of the times with its delicately designed sets, props, costumes and music that accurately highlight Seoul of the 1940s. So-yul appears in all different sorts of "hanbok," or traditional Korean outfit, which are elegant and graceful. Yeon-hi's stage outfits were some of the hottest fashion concepts of the era: a wide-brimmed hat and a mini-handbag, and highly decorative dresses.

There also was Lee Nan-yeong, a first-generation K-pop diva who remains the icon of the 1940s. The character was impressively played by Cha Ji-yeon, a rising theater musical actress.

"Love, Lies" is set to open in local theaters on April 13.

source: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/04/05/0200000000AEN20160405004400315.html#

Lul so Hyo Joo's instincts were right about the makeup to make her look old. 

• Like 3

@leianji i've seen her appearances in full in Love letter,X-man and yeah that was running man and i really especially love watching her in a variety as i got to see her cheerfulness and dorkiness i mean her personality in just so awesome and i must say that's what made me a die hard fan of her aside from her obvious beautiful face,perfect body proportion and that legs to die for of her !hehe:D

hmmmm the one where she wore floral dress was from Press conference last month while the one where she's in denim skirt was from yesterday's media screening..

yeah!she did mentioned in one of her interviews that she'd like to do a various types of roles when it comes to movies while she would like to do those sweet and bright roles in a drama..yeah!same here! i guess all of us (hyolics) wants her to be in the likes of Jeon Do Yeon who is an exceptional actress and i believe our Hyo Joo is already getting there(i love Hyo Joo's way of acting though:wub:) but i don't want/like her to take like those roles that JDY toke wherein she you know....(getting naked/half naked) those characters or roles that requires to show more skin hehe cuz i want her to maintain her sweet and wholesome image:)(i know that's not what your referring to and that you're referring when it comes to acting) i just want to say my piece hehe:D

Han Hyo Joo worried that her makeup would ruin the movie?

han-hyo-joo_1459781497_af_org.jpg

"Love, Lies" held many firsts for actress Han Hyo Joo. Well, maybe just two. It was not only the actress's first time playing a somewhat villainous role but also the first time she transformed herself into an bent-backed, wrinkly old woman. 

At the premiere for the movie, which progressed on April 4 at the Lotte Cinema, Han Hyo Joo relayed her thoughts on getting to play the elderly version of her character with the help of some makeup. She said, "The director was thinking of doing the elderly makeup [on me] from the very beginning. There was some differences in opinion.

The actress continued, "I worried a lot over the movie doing bad because of any mistakes I might make. Even as I was filming, I was really worried. The director had to convince me [to do the elderly makeup]. The line in the script which compelled me to choose the movie went, 'Why didn't I know then what a good thing I had.' I made up my mind after thinking that I must also read this line with So Yul's face." 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/han-hyo-joo-worried-that-her-makeup-would-ruin-the-movie

• Like 1

Han Hyo Joo talks about playing her first ever villainous role

han-hyo-joo_1459780669_af_org.jpg

At the premiere of her new movie "Love, Lies," which was held on April 4 at the Lotte Cinema in Seoul, Han Hyo Joo talked about getting to play what is her first ever antagonistic character. 

The actress said, "The So Yul (her character in the movie) that I acted was not a villainous role in my mind. Because the situations [in the movie] were so dire and because she had no other choices, she was forced to do the things she did. I was shocked myself. I was thinking that I had sides and expressions to me that even I've never seen before. In one way, I think it was a new challenge at acting." 

Han Hyo Joo added, "There were many times that I felt pained in order to express that. It was not an easy filming process. So I'm curious what [people] will think of it and how they will view the Jung So Yul that I portrayed." 

I guess we'll have to see the movie for ourselves when it hits theaters on April 13! 

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/04/han-hyo-joo-talks-about-playing-her-first-ever-villainous-role

• Like 2

Han Hyo-joo's grandma make-up, the audiences reaction...cold

photo709405.jpg

he press conference for the movie "Loves, Lies" was held on the 4th in Lotte Cinema.

"Loves, Lies" is the movie about the last gisaengs of the year 1943 So-yool (Han Hyo-joo) and Yeon-hee (Cheon Woo-hee), who wanted to sing with the greatest songwriter Yoon Woo (Yoo Yeon-seok) of the time.

Han Hyo-joo, Cheon Woo-hee and Yoo Yeon-seok were at the press conference.

hmmmmm no wonder it worries her..they should've used old actress for that particular scene to make it realistic and convincing..

• Like 1

hello hello! :grin:

it seem that hyo joo's makeup at the end of the movie 'love,lies' is a major bad (?) point .. is there a picture of that anywhere so we can see if it is really that bad!  i guess the makeup artist had a hard time making hyo joo look old ...because i believe that even as she grows in years ...her face will be ageless! hahahaha! 

i loved the review of the film ... though there were some points raised against it ... mostly it was a good review! so i am pretty excited as it is to see it! will have to wait for a subbed version though! :mellow:

chyantrils 25: annyeong! yes ... i truly meant the acting abilities of jeon doyeon ... hahaha! though i believe that the nudity comes with her desire to portray her roles ... not all her films has it! :lol: and i guess most of doyeon's films are really for mature viewers! i know that hyo joo will be able to reach doyeon's level without necessarily doing that!! hahahaha!

getting really excited to see how hyo joo's turn as a villain will go!!

she is beautiful ... and i really like her freshness ... and hopefully i can get to see her dorky side this time around ...so waiting for 2D1N to happen!!

waiting in anticipation ...

• Like 2

Guest kaz11

[Herald review] One woman's jealousy in 'Love, Lies'

Actress Han Hyo-joo gives noteworthy performance as envy-stricken, wronged songstress

Published : 2016-04-06 13:42
Updated : 2016-04-06 13:42

Like the faces of its heroines, “Love, Lies” is a meticulously made-up movie. The picturesque streets of 1940s Seoul are recreated down to minute detail, and pastel hanbok -- traditional Korean costumes -- daintily embroidered with lace and floral patterns often fill the screen. It is undoubtedly no coincidence that the movie’s local release date is set for early April, when cherry blossoms are in bloom around the country. Every scene and every line of dialogue seems scrupulously arranged for a picture-perfect shot.

Lurking beneath the pretty getup, however, are the ugliness of unbridled jealousy and its destructive power.

The story begins at a school of sorts that trains girls in the art of being a gisaeng -- women who entertained male guests with song, dance and poetry. So-yul, played by Han Hyo-joo, is the beautiful daughter of the institution’s headmistress, who herself is a renowned gisaeng. Always at the center of attention and heralded for her beauty and singing voice, So-yul dreams of one day becoming an accomplished entertainer.

20160406001032_0.jpg
Han Hyo-joo in “Love, Lies” (Lotte Entertainment)

A new girl, Yeon-hee, played by Chun Woo-hee, arrives at the school because her father, unable and unwilling to care for her, has sold her to it. The two girls soon become best friends, with So-yul’s cheerfulness rubbing off on Yeon-hee, who is likened to a “prickly flower.” 

The film is set during the later years of the Japanese occupation, a period of turbulent evolution in Korean music. Tradition and modernity clash in the form of jeong-ga, traditional Korean songs, and early Korean pop, influenced by American jazz and Japanese enka. The girls are in awe of the newly emerging genre though their profession does not allow it.

Meanwhile, So-yul becomes acquainted with the dashing, mercurial songwriter Yoon-woo, played by Yoo Yeon-seok, who enchants her with his modern ideas, reverence of her beauty and promises of love. 

Conflict erupts one day when Yoon-woo hears Yeon-hee sing. He becomes mesmerized by her voice, which is filled with emotion and pain. He decides to write a song for Yeon-hee and help her debut as a pop singer. So-yul is gripped with an intense jealousy that ends up destroying those around her and, above all, herself. 

“Love, Lies” addresses several themes, and one of them is the duality that was thrust upon gisaeng, who were expected to be elegant and well-educated in the arts while also a source of pleasure to men. Though the gisaeng in the film pride themselves as being of noble mind, if not social status, the arts they learn ultimately serve to perfect the art of seduction.

“Gisaeng are like flowers that can understand human speech,” So-yul’s mother tells her, echoing their depiction as something between human and objects of beauty. Later on, she adds: “We’re flowers meant to be picked by men who grant our wishes.” 

The jealousy that grips So-yul, however, is painfully human. Han Hyo-joo seems somewhat strained in her portrayal of So-yul in her cheery, naive stage, but her depiction of her as a woman wronged is much more convincing.  

“I was surprised at myself,” Han said at a press conference on Monday in southern Seoul. “I didn’t know there was that side of me. I didn’t know my face could look like that. It was a new challenge in terms of acting, and it was very painful.”

Han shows, step by step, the maniacal depths to which a woman entirely accustomed to being admired can sink when stripped of her admirer. So-yul possesses a pristine beauty that is utterly charmless, while Yeon-hee, new to the spotlight, is carefree yet captivating. So-yul is unable to understand. All she knows is the envy that consumes her, and she refuses to let it go. “You made me like this,” she tells her former friend. “Love is a lie,” she says to her former lover. 

“I wanted to concentrate on that universal emotion, jealousy,” said director Park Heung-shik, who previously directed “Memories of the Sword” in 2015. “When you envy someone’s talent, it becomes uncontrollable. ... You shouldn’t lose yourself, but that’s what So-yul did. Everything in the movie is working toward that point.” 

“Love, Lies” will open in local theaters on April 13. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160406000639