[Movie 2020] Call, 콜

maris1

Star News

The secret of'Call' word of mouth?..A scene full of laughter + tension

Input 2020.12.08. 11:32 am

Revision 2020.12.08. 11:33 am

Imagen

Imagen

While Netflix'Call' is gaining worldwide acclaim, the behind-the-scenes stills of the scene have been released.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002916070

귀염뽀짝러블리  에서 흑  화한 센 언니  로!
박신혜의 연기 스펙트럼, 그라데이션으로 함께 보시죠.
#박신혜 #시라노_연애조작단 #넌내게반했어 #7번방의선물 #알함브라궁전의추억 #침묵 #살아있다 #콜 #thecall #넷플릭스 #Netflix

From cute little lovely to  darkened strong sister !
Let’s look at Park Shin-hye’s acting spectrum and gradation together.
#Shin-Hye Park #Shirano_Dating Team #You've been in for me #Gift in Room 7 #Remembrance of Alhambra Palace #Silence #Alive #Cole #thecall #Netflix #Netflix

instagram.com/p/CIhxDedr9g8/?igshid=3r52swzaua32

Daily Sports

Park Shin-hye x Jeon Jong-seo'Call', madness explosion ON Sweet OFF

[Daily Sports Park Jeong-sun]

Original image

The unveiled still contains the colorful appearances of Park Shin-hye and Jeon Jong-seo, who showed breakthrough transformations. First, unlike the tense atmosphere in the movie, the loveliness of the scene where laughter never ceased catches the eye.

Park Shin-hye and Jeon Jong-seo, who had a breathtaking showdown with poison and madness, showed off their extraordinary teamwork with bright smiles when the camera was turned off. The two people, who had few face-to-face scenes due to the setting of the work, visited each other's filming site even on days when there was no amount of filming, and tried to match the lines and strengthened their breath.

Park Shin-hye said, "The whole time I was with actor Jong-seo Jeon, I felt that the set was filled with each other's energy." They expressed their strong trust in each other. Director Lee Chung-hyun also mentioned the synergy created by the two, saying, "Park Shin-hye's sense of weight and inner work, and Jeon Jong-seo's freedom are in good harmony."

129731517_1034716766933706_2748663961015341908_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fuio3-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=WC4RKcSn2cYAX8tHUr-&tp=1&oh=9087110a89be78a4eb80df824904331c&oe=5FF8C06F

beautyyung83

THE CALL [2020] NETFLIX REVIEW: WHEN PRESENT AND PAST COLLIDE IN A HOPELESS WORLD

‘A black cordless phone’, ‘an intervention’, and ‘festering jealousy’ are all that it takes for everything to go irrevocably downhill in Lee Chung-Hyun’s gothic mystery thriller ‘The Call’. In this twisty genre-bending ride the past is pitched against the present, submerged in a gore, gloomy, overly thought time-travel plot. The movie loaded with a tight storyline builds a hopeless world in a bold premise where desperation to alter the aching memories of bygone years inflicts mayhem on the space-time continuum.

Known for crafting some of the finest, bloodiest, and most exhilarating genre in existence, Korean movies have become a staple for the cravers of a horror-tinged thriller. And this time writer-director Lee Chung-Hyun strikes the chord with his latest offering. ‘The Call’ that cuts through time, if not space, is surprisingly Lee’s first feature film. His work stands as a tough contender, making amongst the finest thrillers on Netflix right now.

RELATED TO THE CALL NETFLIX – THE TUNNEL [2011] REVIEW: UNDONE BY ITS WEAK ENDING

Although inspired by a 2011 Puerto Rican-British film ‘The Caller’, this genre hybrid avoids feeling cut-and-dried. The movie flaunts amazing visuals styles and camerawork by cinematographer Jo Young-jik with an impressive production design. The western graphics presented with Korean characteristics is well complimented by the high-contrast-dimly-lit palate and Dalpalan’s eerie background score that forms a distinctively menacing chill.

Jong-Seo Jun as Young-sook and Park Shin Hye as Seo-Yeon on-screen chemistry is rare and neatly balanced. With their intense and captivating performances, they carry the entire movie on their shoulders. They breath life into their characters in ways that refuse to be erased from our minds. Jun and Park take full command of every scene they are in. They are unflinching. The story doesn’t just box them into “the good” and “the evil”. Both have their moment of darkness.

The movie bears the slightest resemblance to Oscar-winning ‘Parasite’. Director Lee uses ‘The house’ brilliantly as a central theme. The frequently changing aesthetics of the secret-loaded house throughout the story offers an analogy of shifting circumstances and the psychological state of the characters. Hidden creepy bunker, wooden floor making snap-crackle-pop noises presented on the washed-out and foggy backdrop with aural suspense also reflects architectural rudiments of a typical haunted house.

‘The transitions’- the scars, house, people, and vehicles, thanks to the amazing CGI, is one of the most satisfying things to watch. With the intervention in the past, the viewers can witness the beautiful morph and its impacts on the characters.

‘The Call’ surely is not a light watch. The feeling of isolation, loneliness, and helplessness of characters are massive and sensed to a point where the movie feels claustrophobic. Starting with a steady pace until the first half, the movie gets wild as it barrels towards its conclusion.

The movie allows for complete audience immersion. As viewers, we get to sit in our emotions and fully experience the feeling of dread, happiness, and distress. The guile and maneuvering that each of them employs at different times in an attempt to change one another’s present is a major treat.

The end credit is not to be missed; the final gut punch that no one was ready for. Whether it may feel like an absolute bummer or leave you thrilled, the cliff hanger for sure is mindboggling that keeps you scratching your head long after you’re done with it. Avoid rationalizing every bit you’ve witnessed later. The Call delivers exactly what it promises and beyond, making you yearn for more of such genre.

THE CALL NETFLIX TRAILER

https://youtu.be/hxkKeniT-0Q

THE CALL IS NOW STREAMING ON NETFLIX

https://www.highonfilms.com/the-call-2020-netflix-review/

Daily Sports

[Interview ①] Park Shin-hye "I hated the female-centered movie'Call', the heroine being dragged."

Park Jeong-sun Input 2020.12.06. 15:48

Park Shin-hye

Park Shin-hye

-The production briefing session was held in March, but the movie is finally released on Netflix in the aftermath of Corona 19. "I was able to release the movie in 8 months. I was disappointed that the movie could not be released, but I also wanted to see the movie. I am pleased to be able to show the movie to the world through Netflix. I have hope that it can be evoked."

-What kind of story did the performers talk with as the release was pushed? "I went through a little more editing and saw the process of detailed manual work such as color correction. We monitored each other. We ate together and talked about the work. Of course, I was very disappointed. “I said, “I want to show it at the theater because this situation is over quickly.” Time has passed, but I am glad that there are still many people looking forward to it.”

-What was the reason for appearing in'Call'? "In fact,'Call' is a work that I once refused. It was both physically and mentally overwhelming. Even though the scenario was interesting, I refused it once because I was not in good condition. At that time, the representative of the film company said,'Please think again.' So I met the director and talked about it. I enjoyed watching director Choong-hyun Lee's short story,'Ransom.' I felt a new idea and subject matter different from the director I had met so far, so I read the script again and chose. I wondered if I was being passively attracted to Youngsook or not being able to show a different figure from the past, then I wondered what I could do. Not being pulled like an existing female protagonist, but moving with subjectivity. I wondered if I could show it through this movie. If possible, I wanted to show it through this movie."

-What do you think is the difference between'Call'? "It's a well-made film centered on women. Women are proactively insisting and pulling from their own standpoint without being swayed. That part came to me as a big attraction. It's a movie with four women in harmony. In terms of time, there were movies and dramas with a lot of subjects, but if there were many subjects that brought back regrets, it would be a more lifelike movie to see what consequences should be handled when looking back at the past.”

Park Shin-hye

-It wouldn't have been easy while filming a monologue scene on a phone call. "I started from the middle of the filming, so Youngsook's filming was over. When filming an important scene or emotional scene, the actors acted together in front of the camera. I read the script in front of Jong-seo Jeon, and Jong-seo Jeon came and came to the script during my filming. I matched him. I heard a voice as if on a phone call in front."

-How was Jeon Jong-seo and smoke breathing? "There was a fight scene, but the director shouted'Cut' to see if it looked too intense. It's good that the feelings I felt at the scene were conveyed. Jong-seo Jeon is a really great friend. He is also good at acting. In the scene,'How do you get this energy? I thought,'Would it emanate?' When acting in front of the camera, I also got goosebumps. Actually, I have a lot of aegyo and cuteness. When I talk to each other, there is something like a rhythm. I am a friend whose rhythm jumps. I am smart and smart. I also learned a lot from Jongseo Jeon."

Reporter Park Jung-sun park.jungsun@jtbc.co.kr Photo = Netflix

This leads to interview ②.

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20201206154803416

• Guest changed the title to [Movie 2020] Call, 콜

인물들이 느끼는 감정 안에서의 빛의 변화
색감을 통해 그려낸 서연과 영숙의 감정들. 디테일한 연출력에 박수를 보냅니다.
#넷플릭스 #콜 #Netflix #thecall

Changes in light within the emotions the characters feel
The emotions of Seoyeon and Youngsook depicted through color. Applause for the detailed presentation.
#Netflix #call #Netflix #thecall

Imagen

Imagen

@netflixkr

Ms Representation: In search of the normal woman

This weekly column is a rumination on how women are portrayed in cinema, and this week the  discusses Netflix's The Call and Disney Hotstar's Mulan

Published: 08th December 2020

MsRepresentation.jpg

Mainstream language tells us, ‘Men are generic, women are special.’ Men are thought to be the ‘default form of humanity’, while women are a specific subcategory. Mankind, for example, refers to all of humanity, but womankind is just women. There are several manifestations of this around us, but in cinema, there’s one in particular. It’s how when a character isn’t defined by their gender, by default, the character turns out to be male.

Imagen

The Call, a Korean supernatural thriller on Netflix, breaks this trope. It has two women play the lead, and the narrative is refreshingly devoid of sexism, or whether or not these characters bear the brunt of patriarchy. Seo-Yeon, who lives in the present, is connected to Young-Sook, who is twenty years behind in the past through a phone call. Their lives get entwined and take a dark turn after a murder. These characters could well have been male without any major difference to the story or the narrative. To have women in a seemingly androgynous narrative becomes important because it shatters our limited perception of what constitutes a ‘woman’s story’.

However, one also needs to understand that women don’t always behave like men, even in generic situations. Just flipping the gender doesn’t end in creating a good character. The accumulations of their experiences, in tandem with their identity, would give them a different set of thoughts and reactions.

I loved the fact that The Call acknowledges this. Neither does it amplify stereotypes, nor does it make its women caricatures. The scars and blood co-exist in happy harmony with the nail polish. The female serial killer uses hot water and fire extinguishers as chosen weapons. And even the fights and clashes are structured in a way that makes sheer will power the core emotion, rather than brute force or strength.

Not all films document this difference in thought processes or actions, even ones that have gendered storylines in place. Take the new Mulan for example. While the animated version from 1998 had a bumbling, clumsy Mulan training hard to become a soldier, the new one has an exceptionally gifted Mulan. The story might remain the same, but the superhero treatment eradicates a relatable emotion that was omnipresent in the animated version: You don’t have to be extraordinary to do what you want. Any character should be able to do it. A normal man can become a soldier without any great merit, but when a woman becomes the same, why does she need to be extraordinary?

It doesn’t stop there though. The animated version had Mulan thinking differently, bringing solutions from a new perspective. One of the first tasks she is given is climbing a high pole with two heavy medals. She finds an ingenious solution that can be used by other people as well. However, the new film has Mulan climbing up a hill with two water buckets. It just becomes a matter of strength, with the character following an existing course of action. In the animated version, Mulan had a distinct personality. Here, she falls into line, becomes another regimented soldier, and her skills are attributed to her chi.

This isn’t to make a case against women superheroes, or women performing complex martial moves. That is important too. However, there is no need to make every woman character a superhero. We don’t always have to struggle against patriarchy and sexism in order to be a protagonist. We don’t need to be extraordinary in order for our stories to be heard. How about allowing us to just be?

33 best movies to stream on Netflix

Not sure what to watch tonight? Here are some of the best movies Netflix has to offer.

Jennifer Bisset headshot
Dec. 9, 2020 3:10 p.m. PT

2020 South Korean thriller The Call.

Netflix

If you're stuck in the endless Netflix scroll, hopefully this list will help you decide what to watch. Occasionally Netflix brings in big directors to serve up originals that make it all the way to the Oscars. But it's also got an abundance of smaller stories perfect for a modestly sized screen.

Fingers crossed you'll find something here that hits the spot.

The Call

call47-00158.jpg

Netflix

Two movies named The Call came out this year. Watch the South Korean one, a time travel thriller revolving around, yep, a phone call. Twenty-eight-year-old Seo-yeon finds a phone buried in a closet in her childhood home. It rings -- and the caller, it turns out, is living in the same house 20 years earlier. Twists right up to the final moment, plus a wild cat-and-mouse chase that alters the past and present make this a must-watch.

https://www.cnet.com/news/33-best-movies-to-stream-on-netflix/#ftag=COS-05-10aaa0j