[Movie 2020] Call, 콜

maris1

South Korean Horror, At Its Finest (4/5 Stars) 

Netflix has released a South Korean horror film, The Call, which I believe will go down as one of the greatest in cinema history. The complex film, which at times, I was struggling to follow explores what would happen if you could talk to your past self, to change your current life. The sci-fi elements may have been played out multiple times before, but here in Chung-Hyun Lee’s film, they feel entirely different. 

The Netflix film sets itself up with two completely different people, living around about twenty years apart from each other. The opening act really shows the audience the contrast between Seo-Yeon (Park Shin-Hye) and Young-sook (Jong-SEO Jun). Then one singular phone call connects the two, and obviously, the typical sci-fi elements play out, however, this time they are given a tinge full of horror alongside. 

Now the film is a complete mind-bender, in a way that many people may struggle with. I didn’t watch this film at night, so whereas the horror elements of the film weren’t as scary, I could still follow the plot. It does hold up, and the twists, turns and general time travel shenanigans pay off. But you have to be concentrating, in a way that home people who just want to be scared, entertained or drunk may find infuriating.

The film has only about seven characters in the whole thing, and whereas all of the actors get material, the film is carried by Seo-Yeon and Young-sook. These two young actors were in the majority of the film, with just about every plot development being about their relationship. Its stronger performances than many horror films have, only Toni Collete can elevate the genre in achievement in a similar way these young actors achieved. 

The premise is simple, but it's the performances of Park Shin-Hye and Jun Jong-Seo Jun that allow the audience to be invested even as the film goes in more and more unexpected directions. We start with them finding each other, through the landline, as they live in the same house at different points. I have seen similar ideas played in short films, but the way it affected the whole narrative full or torture, murders and other scares were really impactful and terrifying. 

There is obviously the problem that the two characters are rarely on screen together, with most of their communications happening during over the phone. The film also makes the narrative choice to mainly follow Seo-Yeon, who lives in the current timeline. That means I got to see an awful lot of Park Shin-Hye playing in a world which was both familiar but slightly creepy. Afterwards, I discovered her in a zombie movie ‘#Alive’, which was also on Netflix. 

There is Jun Jong-Seo, who plays Young-sook the character stuck in the past. The film plays out with a sense of escapism needed for her role. She’s impoverished and clearly struggling, giving Jong-see a chance to truly work with some meaty material. Being fair, I knew what. Jong-Seo could do, last award season she was cheated from a best-supporting actress nomination in ‘Burning’, and I’m still not over how that film starring Steven Yeon didn’t win any significant awards. 

Finally, for a movie about time and space, they managed to clear the ending up forcefully. I’m not smart enough to find plot holes, but I was genuinely horrified and unnerved by the final images the audience were left with on screen. They make the film genuinely worth staying on screen for, and it is a film which will stay with you, even if you had to concentrate a little too hard. 

If You Like This Film, Why Don't You Watch 

https://articufilm.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-call-review.html?view=classic&m=1

ImagenImagen

In an interview conducted immediately after the movie was released, Jeon Jong-seo said, “I want to be creative. I want to meet various genres of movies, and I want to give myself a fresh and unconventional, calm and subtle feeling by putting myself in the characters given. I want to show such a colorful appearance in accordance with the tone of the movie, and I have a sense of challenge to try without hesitation that anyone could not do easily.”

mhns.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=423406

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

과연 끝이 끝일까?  두 번째 키워드 인터뷰로 플렉스 한 배우 박신혜 그리고 영화 <콜>의 서연 

Is it really the end? Actress Park Shin-hye flexed with the second keyword interview and Seo-yeon from the movie <Call>

Imagen

cr. @minozstarlight1

Imagen

LINK. https://www.facebook.com/NetflixKR/videos/398883811350313/?t=6

[Netflix] “The Call”: a brilliant fight to the death 20 years apart

A remarkable South Korean horror thriller based on a very SF concept, The Call is an enthralling success thanks to an unparalleled interpretation, a stylish staging and an ultra-intelligent script ... well, at least until the end credits, that we advise you to avoid.

For decades we have celebrated the unique talent of young Korean cinema to break down all the usual barriers between film genres, to offer an original, stimulating and often unprecedented experience. Of course, the recipe is tastier when it is prepared by masters like Bong Joon-Ho or Park Chan-Wook , but The Call , a recent production of the Land of the Morning Calm, recovered by Netflix due to the Covid19, shows that it works. very good also in the more “low-end” territory covered by the platform. Car The Call, what's this ? A thriller (with a serial killer that you have to find a way to stop in time)? A sci-fi film (with this temporal link between two eras through a telephone in a disturbing mansion)? A horror film (with bloody exorcism and gruesome scenes - but, phew! Without jump scares)? All at the same time, and, logically, none of that. Which will delight those who like to be surprised, and dismay those who find the film largely elusive, which it is indeed.

Inspired by the screenplay of The Caller , a British-Puerto Rican film little noticed at the time of its release in 2011, the story of The Call is very appealing, for those who like temporal mindfucks, and possible paradoxes. resulting: Seo-yon (played by the pretty Park Shin-Hye , a multi-talented artist since she sings, dances, and is both a model and an actress - we discovered her recently in #Alive …) returns in a strange house where she lived with her parents, tortured by deep guilt towards her mother, and comes in contact by phone with a young girl, Young-sook ( Jeon Jong-Seo , whom we had loved in the magnificent Burning), tormented, she, by an abusive and violent mother, who lived in this same house 20 years before. From this starting point, which obviously requires leaving the locker room with any rational hint, Lee Chung-Hyun wrote and directed a very dark history of distance combat (20 years!) Between two women who share many obsessions and must compete in ingenuity to win one over the other. Lee chung-hyunis a beginner, having only directed a short film so far, but he shows superb mastery in his direction: in addition to his talent for multiplying aesthetically superb scenes, he manages to tell us without losing us a sort of crazy chess game, full of devious moves. He never takes us for retarded by giving us useless explanations, nor does he lead us by the nose with the worn out stuff of seriously confined screenwriter, of the kind rotten twists or accumulation of false leads. A real lesson in integrity, The Call 

... well, until its end credits, where, for a reason that still escapes us, Lee Chung-Hyun throws us a kind of “alternate ending”, which breaks all the temporal rules that the scenario had established and respected until then. there: it's totally ridiculous, completely useless, and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth at the end of a film that we were ready to recommend without reservation. So as soon as you see the first name in the ending credits appear, cut everything! You will be doing yourself a real favor and will be left with the nice memory of a great success.

3_5.gif

Eric Debarnot

The Call (2020)
South Korean film by Lee Chung-Hyun
With: Park Shin-hye, Jun Jong-seo, Kim Sung-Ryoung
Genre: Thriller, Sci-Fi , horror
Runtime: 1h52 Upload
date (Netflix): 27 november 2020

https://www.benzinemag.net/2020/12/13/netflix-the-call-une-brillante-lutte-a-mort-a-20-ans-de-distance/

Jeon Jong Seo Talks About Her Acting Style, Working With Park Shin Hye On “Call,” And More

Jeon Jong Seo Talks About Her Acting Style, Working With Park Shin Hye On “Call,” And More

Dec 13, 2020
by S. Nam

In a recent interview with Sports Kyunghyang, Jeon Jong Seo talked about her new film “Call”!

During the interview, Jeon Jong Seo shared, “Acting with animal instincts is complex and delicate because you can’t second guess,” revealing that she’s a straightforward person who is in touch with her emotions.

“Call” is a mystery thriller about two women who live in different times and the events that unfold when they are connected through a phone call. In the film, Seo Yeon (played by Park Shin Hye) contacts Young Sook (played by Jeon Jong Seo), who lived in her house 20 years ago.

When questioned what she would ask if someone from the future actually called her, Jeon Jong Seo replied, “I want to ask who my husband is. I’m most curious as to who I will marry. If I could ask something else, I want to ask if there’s a change we couldn’t have imagined. A change like smartphones, which we couldn’t have imagined in the past. I’m curious to see what will have changed.”

On her recent project with Park Shin Hye, Jeon Jong Seo shared, “I mainly attacked while Seo Yeon (Park Shin Hye) had to shield and defend. In that sense, Park Shin Hye used more energy than I did. Following that example, I proportionally increased my acting energy. I’m very grateful.”

The actress continued to share, “I’m still lacking experience, so I couldn’t show anything close to the stability Park Shin Hye has. If [her stability] was lacking from the film, the story could have become extremely superficial. She maintained the balance until the end with the same weight. If it hadn’t been for her, I get the thought that the film’s balance could have been broken. I wish to also gain that kind of force.”

“Call” was released via Netflix on November 27. Watch a trailer for the film here!

Watch Jeon Jong Seo’s co-star Park Shin Hye in “Doctors” below:

WATCH NOW

soompi.com/article/1443367wpp/jeon-jong-seo-talks-about-her-acting-style-working-with-park-shin-hye-on-call-and-more

K-DRAMA STORIES

South Korean Fim Directors Who Are Too Handsome

Lin Jul 30, 2020

While the spotlight is usually on the actors and actresses who star in movies, sometimes, it's on a few particular film directors who have visuals to match that of celebrities.

In the West, some notable directors who are downright gorgeous are Len Wiseman and Edgar Wright.

In the South Korean film industry, there also happens to be three directors who come to mind.

Director Lee ChungHyeong caused quite a lot of buzz on the internet for having idol-like visuals as well.

South Korean Fim Directors Who Are Too Handsome

https://www.kpopmap.com/south-korean-fim-directors-who-are-too-handsome/

Movies And Munchies Reviews The Call

Feature Image
December 14, 2020
by CRYSTAL NGUONLY

In the Korean thriller The Call (2020), two women, connected by phone in the same home 20 years apart, have the ability to change each other fates. Directed by Lee Chung-hyeon, the film stars Park Shin-hye and Jeon Jong-seo. YouTuber Chris from the channel Movies And Munchies shares his thoughts on the film now streaming on Netflix.

Our two main characters are spectacular. I mean they each have qualities that make them very dynamic and very complex. There’s a lot of cunning and intelligence that each of them employs at different times and it makes just a lot of fun to watch and see how their minds work and how they’re going to figure out a puzzle of how to either help or hurt the other one.

https://youtu.be/GAn4qnRSNWM

Very much impressed with the two protagonists, the YouTuber finds the actors to have so much chemistry despite only having interactions over the phone and never in person or physically. The characters actions and interactions are believable, according to the YouTuber.

Chris also notes the dark tones of the film created by the visually dark setting that is at times broken up by some lightness and cheeriness, but at the same time gives the audience the sense of impending dread because of the way each scene strategically shifts back to the darker tone of uneasiness.

With so many different timelines of past and present, twists and turns in the plot, the film does a great job at adequately explaining all the different scenarios, says Chris who rates the film a 4.5/5.

YouTuber Chris from Movies And Munchies, rates and reviews new movies and TV shows on his channel regularly.

https://moviesshowsfandoms.com/articles/movies-and-munchies-reviews-the-call

SHIN HYE WORE JAIN SONG

131409965_126879142578086_2395790639118560072_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fuio3-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=uJ-s2qp5pvEAX-xw6D6&tp=1&oh=03a442a87a5a4b8835eb925f6ba5cbdb&oe=60030D5FImagen

131281886_746090629619193_4071733951915534333_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fuio3-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=g11VwfRQ0-EAX-SrhKB&tp=1&oh=a17925d48327673288b5a526d60cc541&oe=6000D774

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI0aBXHF_Wb/

#fashion_moabom
박신혜 수트 어디꺼?

: #박신혜
: #제인송 (#jainsong)
- BLACK FLOWER PRINT SINGLE-BREASTED BLAZER (JTJJ121) / ₩ 988,000
- BLACK FLOWER PRINT STRAIGHT-LEG TROUSERS (JTJS111) / ₩ 678,000
: 넷플릭스 (@netflixkr)
#박신혜 #박신혜패션 #박신혜옷 #박신혜수트 #박신혜콜 

#thecall #parkshinhye #parkshinhyefashion 

#parkshinhyestyle #kdrama #koreanstyle #kpop #kstar #kstarfashion

Peninsula, The Call & more: Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should watch

Korean films are attracting much attention from the global film industry. Here are the top 10 Korean films of 2020 that you should definitely watch.

Written By Ishani Sarkar  243246 reads Mumbai  Published: December 15, 2020 02:23 pm
The official poster of #Alive.

2020 was an incredible year for Korean entertainment as the Hallyu wave reached corners of the globe never thought imaginable. K-Pop or Korean pop broke records on global platforms and one of the biggest K-Pop groups in the world, BTS, bagged a Grammy nomination in a major musical category. Even in a terrible pandemic, the Korean film industry continued working and churning out hits in full swing.

Due to South Korea’s incomparable COVID management, even box office collections could resume successfully. Internationally, with the help of OTT platforms, Korean films saw a whole new rise in popularity. If you’re yet to catch on with the wave, fret not for Pinkvilla has just the perfect list for you! From thrillers to romances to horror and comedy, we’ve got it all covered. If you’re looking for some of the best Korean films of 2020 for a holiday binge, look no further.

The Call

Finally, Park Shin Hye and Jeon Jong Seo’s time travel masterpiece ‘The Call’ is the perfect candidate to wrap up this list. Seo-yeon (Park Shin-hye) and Young-sook (Jeon Jong-seo) are two women with an intertwined fate from different timelines who connect eerily through an old phone. The two get closer than expected in a short amount of time and their fates are turned upside down when one single change they make makes ripples big enough in time to ruin them. Horror, time travel, gore and crime thriller – these are the predominant themes in this film and we highly recommend you watch this as soon as possible!

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/peninsula-call-more-here-are-top-10-korean-films-2020-you-should-watch-583687?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article&utm_content=amp