Has your taste in kpop changed since you were a teenager?

Godotology

I think for most of us, we've followed Kpop since we were teens. Depending on age, anywhere from the Seo Taiji/Turbo era, the HOT/Jekki era, or the DBSK era..

how do you feel about it now? Does Kpop still interest you? What do you think of the direction its going in?

For me at least, I'm glad it's grown so big and popular. 

I think the quality of the vocalists, dance, etc has improved a lot. Before, there was only really one good vocalist in a group. Now you have two or three.

It's also more diverse (relatively speaking), with Thais, Chinese, etc 

On the other hand, the music and look of the music and artists these days all seem the same to me. (maybe it was true back then and I'm just getting old).

i like kpop since 10 years ago, i know im old right now and i still love it.

Kpop still make me feel butterfly inside my stomach hahah, but i just didnt love it as much as i love it before.

i didnt have favorite boyband or girlband again right now, i love group who has an catchy song then i like them for sometime and then move to another bb/gb.

yeah the taste of the music changed too, ithink. this is KPOP EDM Era i think.

KPop are getting bigger and bigger, and their quality become better too. I just loose my community because im getting old. Thats it.

• 2 weeks later...

My interest in k-pop has declined a lot I think because there are too many groups. I started in 2014 I know it is late it is what it is. I only follow the groups that I started with like Infinite, B1A4,  Girls Day, Epik high, and some others. My friends are still really into it and I get news from them about upcoming concerts and stuff. Recently, they got me into KARD and they are having a tour in the U.S. so I am going to check them out when they come near my city. 

I do like the direction that kpop is going because it brings people together worldwide. I find it surprising that they have a 24 hour kpop tv channel that is playing public so that people who can't afford the internet can watch kpop for free. If it weren't for online streaming I would totally watch the kpop channel everyday haha. 

I've loved and listened to kpop since 1991. Been pretty much a fanatic about korean pop music forever. However, think its finally come to an end. Haven't followed at all in past year. Just grown tired of it completely. I occasionally turn on a kpop weekly show just to see what's on or new and quickly realize within 5-10 minutes how disinterested I am. I actually never thought this day would come.

3 hours ago, dot1q said:

I've loved and listened to kpop since 1991. Been pretty much a fanatic about korean pop music forever. However, think its finally come to an end. Haven't followed at all in past year. Just grown tired of it completely. I occasionally turn on a kpop weekly show just to see what's on or new and quickly realize within 5-10 minutes how disinterested I am. I actually never thought this day would come.

damn you party pooper SK...

How about rekindle that old kpop spirit with something little different

Definitely changed a lot... ofcourse the songs I listened to as a teenager are the best ones in my eyes :)

But the new ones are nice too, they have a different feel. I also think kcelebs are more liberated in a sense..revealing their dating life to the public and such.

The fandoms are still similar, if not crazier hahaha. But glad to see it grow every year!

I started listening to KPop back in 2004 with Boa/H.O.T./1TYM. And it was DAMN HARD trying to find information about Korean music/media back then. I didn't actually get into fandoms until WG/Big Bang/SNSD debuted. I remember soompi and other forums dedicated to KPop was popping! BoAjjang was one of my main sources of illegal downloads haha. And every group had their own forum dedicated towards subbing MVs/variety show appearances/other media. 

Well anyway, I still like Big Bang/WG. I felt like I grew up/matured with them. SNSD on the other hand...their songs still sound immature? Very sugary pop. I've dropped them haha. I love Taeyeon's solo stuff though. And I couldn't help but get interested in other genres.

I don't care where KPop is going. And I don't care that it's gotten big. I mean, yeah I've been to a Korean concerts that were in the US and I'm grateful it's gotten to that point, but other than that...zero interest.

Got into kpop through BIGBANG and BoA then it just died down till EXO and BTS got into the scene.

I guess before I just listened to what was present, now I go from JYP's "Elevator" and S.E.S's "I'm Your Girl" to like, ph-1's "Donut"

Basically, my understanding and attitude towards idols and fandoms became holistic ;and my taste in kpop just didn't just stick to one era and genre.

I got into KPOP because of DBSK (Thanks a lot rising sun, it hooked me up with Korean Pop Music), I like them a lot *still though* it's around late 2007 I think.

But what hooked me up is Super Junior,. They are like 'the one' for me in Kpop industry while DBSK is my 'first love'. I knew them about the same time I knew DBSK (which is late 2007) which I remember is around the time they release their 2nd album (and I just realize it was such a long time a go), but I didn't really give much attention to it. Then, I don't know exactly when, suddenly just one day I get head over heels with those dorks.

Moving on, around 2008 - 2013 I'm so into Kpop, I like every group and I like every song they release, I follow what they up to, I know all their members names, the point where I could get an 'A' if there ever be a Kpop assignments.

Then, around 2014-2016 I just lost interest with the whole Kpop thing, including Super Junior which is my favorite group. I suddenly find that liking Kpop is not as fun as it used to be, and everybody just seems into kpop those days. 

Old kpop fans might know how hard it is to have an English Subtitle show, how music shows did not post their show in Youtube and there is no V live back then. 

Anyway, around 2017 I suddenly get my interest back with Super Junior but looking at Kpop rookie these days makes me want to sit it out all the Kpop group that debut past 2012.

They all 'looks' and 'sound' lookalike, their face, their concept, their song, even the choreography. Too much aegyo for rookie girl group right now. If I could recall back then, SNSD, WG, 2ne1, 4minutes, f(x), Kara rarely do aegyo, they 'aegyo' occasionally. And what's with everybody clothes these days, it's all 2 size smaller. *I'm talking about girl group*

so, to sum up everything. I think I my taste in Kpop did not change, I feel like I'm growing up with all the groups that I 'met' through my early Kpop days. It's not like Kpop these days are bad, it's just not my cup of tea. I like the old school and I think it will never change. 

HAHAHAHA YES! It definitely has!

The first few songs I listened to was by DBSK and became a huge fan of theirs, as well as of SHINee and Infinite! I probably started being less informed about kpop when EXO started to debut. Nowadays, I still enjoy reminiscing hearing songs I used to put on repeat and while having fun with friends (classics like Gee by SNSD, 2PM'S Heartbeat, DBSK's DGUUUUUUSHIIITEEEEE~~~??!?!?!), but the kind of korean songs I listen to more than for nostalgia would be some tunes from Big Bang, 2ne1 and Black Pink. I think I definitely changed my taste from something more poppy and with more emphasis on visuals to more gangster (?) music and 'BANGERZZZZ' - probably thanks to the rise of the hip hop and EDM genres in Western mainstream charts. :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

I started my Kpop love back when HOT, SES, Baby VOX and company were the rage. Back then there was no YouTube and people would upload 3.5mb videos onto the internet to share. I'd spend that hour downloading a verrry verrry verrrryyyyyy pixelated video and then watch it on repeat. My interest in Kpop peaked when SE7EN came along and went downhill after Big Bang stopped making music. 

Nowadays, all the groups are very talented but also cookie-cutter everything. I can't see anything genuine anymore. However, I do still like Epik High and been taking an interest in some of the musicians on Unpretty Rapstar and Show Me The Money who have meaningful lyrics. BNR has some good, catchy songs. 

Makes me want to listen to some JTL. I loved them too! 

I think I got into k-pop around when Shinhwa released "perfect man" man, I was big fan of BoA, Fly to the Sky, 1TYM, Baby V.O.X., and Se7en, around 2003-2004. After that my interest started to fade as each year pass. Especially now, the k-pop scene is so different now...I don't follow it at all except for bands like Nell and couple groups from YG like Winner and Epik High. I really miss k-pop back then T-T 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very much so, when I started there weren't even any idols born in -93. Then eventually Infinite came on and Sungjong was born in 93. 

Now it's the opposite, it's hard to find people born my age because they're considered too old xD ( and it's hard to keep track of all new idol groups!!)

But, I found JBJ and krump leader so now I'm starstruck <3 

On 2/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, linnvinn said:

Very much so, when I started there weren't even any idols born in -93. Then eventually Infinite came on and Sungjong was born in 93. 

Now it's the opposite, it's hard to find people born my age because they're considered too old xD ( and it's hard to keep track of all new idol groups!!)

But, I found JBJ and krump leader so now I'm starstruck <3 

at least theres now a trend of older groups making come backs! Sechskies, Hyori, etc

Archived