[Thai Sitcom 2016] Bang Rak Soi 9/1 บางรักซอย 9/1

kongthit5

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, sincix said:

Just watched episode 52 with subs and considering what Earth went through with his teacher, it's really sh***y of Jatjang to even consider kissing him while he's unconscious

I think there is a big difference between adult sexual assault, and the Jang kissing test, while Earth is sleeping. His feeling toward Earth is sitcom basis and one opportunity to know his feeling for Earth while kissing him. I guess he doesn't get this possiblity too much, but it fail!!!

On 12/9/2017 at 8:04 PM, gogole mongol said:

I think there is a big difference between adult sexual assault, and the Jang kissing test, while Earth is sleeping. His feeling toward Earth is sitcom basis and one opportunity to know his feeling for Earth while kissing him. I guess he doesn't get this possiblity too much, but it fail!!!

He could've found another way. I don't care if the other was an adult and he's Earth's friend, you don't kiss someone who can't give their consent ESPECIALLY when they have a history of being touched against their will. I blame this on the writers more than anything, I know it's a huge BL trope to use (kissing a sleeping friend) but clearly they didn't think it through. 

3 hours ago, sincix said:

I know it's a huge BL trope to use (kissing a sleeping friend) but clearly they didn't think it through. 

In my opinion, kissing someone sleeping didn't need consent cause the sleeper will didn't react to the kiss. In fact, it's like kiss a table and Earth can't be offended. Jang wanted to test himself, without any wrong intention. Sleeping Earth was the right time to do it. I guess it is in this way writers imagined the scene. BTW, it's your opinion and must be respected for what it is.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:04 PM, gogole mongol said:

I do agree there is a big difference between adult and minor sexual assault, but in my mind its in the dealing with it. A minor might not know between right or wrong and thus needs to be forgiven and tought that what he/she did is wrong. Sleeping or not, without consent a kiss is an assault and has to be dealt with as an assault. 

Now, they did it, they made Jang try to do it and failed, so we could say nothing happened and close our eyes. But the fact is, they did air an attempt to assault another person and I can make somehow excuses as they at least had the decency to make it fail and say that Jang is young and confuses and he is trying to find himself, but I can't excuse how they dealt with it. 

As as said, for a minor you need to teach them about consent and how wrong it is to assault someone and in this case with Jang, they really failed. Jang is telling the story to both his parents and his psychologist and nothing happened. They are relieved that he didn't kiss Earth and his mom goes as far as lightly slapping his arm in a show of relieveness. But where was the lesson on consent? No where. I really thing the writer drop the ball on this one.

4 hours ago, sincix said:

He could've found another way. I don't care if the other was an adult and he's Earth's friend, you don't kiss someone who can't give their consent ESPECIALLY when they have a history of being touched against their will. I blame this on the writers more than anything, I know it's a huge BL trope to use (kissing a sleeping friend) but clearly they didn't think it through. 

I agree with you up to the especially part, but I get what you mean, and Jang knows about Earth's story so you'd think he'd know better. Apparently not, and no one call it on him. Personally, I love Bangrak Soi 9/1, but that episode truly disappointed me. They showed something wrong and made it inconsequential, which is wrong on every level.

55 minutes ago, gogole mongol said:

In my opinion, kissing someone sleeping didn't need consent cause the sleeper will didn't react to the kiss. In fact, it's like kiss a table and Earth can't be offended. Jang wanted to test himself, without any wrong intention. Sleeping Earth was the right time to do it. I guess it is in this way writers imagined the scene. BTW, it's your opinion and must be respected for what it is.

Jang wanted to test himself without Earth's knowledge and by using Earth's body...no wrong intention? I do agree we have a divergence of opinion on this, but this is a very sensible subject and laws may vary depending on countries, but the result is the same for victims. In this case, Earth woke up and didn't realize, but could you imagine if he has realized what happened? The trauma of knowing that his friend tried to use him in his sleep and that despite the fact that that friend has the knowledge of his past trauma, I mean the whole situation in RL could have had disastrous consequences; and this is something that sadly does happen in RL. Now, I get it, it's only a show, but I really think the writer dropped the ball by not talking about consent. They normally have good morals on this show, but this is huge missed opportunity to further the dissussion on this very sensible subject and show the right exemple.

7 hours ago, zeirii said:

Jang wanted to test himself without Earth's knowledge and by using Earth's body...no wrong intention? I do agree we have a divergence of opinion on this, but this is a very sensible subject and laws may vary depending on countries, but the result is the same for victims. In this case, Earth woke up and didn't realize, but could you imagine if he has realized what happened? The trauma of knowing that his friend tried to use him in his sleep and that despite the fact that that friend has the knowledge of his past trauma, I mean the whole situation in RL could have had disastrous consequences; and this is something that sadly does happen in RL. Now, I get it, it's only a show, but I really think the writer dropped the ball by not talking about consent. They normally have good morals on this show, but this is huge missed opportunity to further the dissussion on this very sensible subject and show the right exemple.

This was what I was trying to get across in my original post. You said it better than I could, thank you.

20 hours ago, zeirii said:

Now, they did it, they made Jang try to do it and failed, so we could say nothing happened and close our eyes. But the fact is, they did air an attempt to assault another person and I can make somehow excuses as they at least had the decency to make it fail and say that Jang is young and confuses and he is trying to find himself, but I can't excuse how they dealt with it.

During 53 ep (since 1st ep to number 53), we have seen Earth made assault toward Jang, by touching him, saying sexual words into different scenes, and no-one talked about Jang as victim! Jang was above all awake, and not sleeping. It was made in a "teasing" way, nevertheless, is someone imagined the Jang's trauma in this situations. No, everybody was laughing a lot!!! This is a sitcom which have showed they have sens of humour and serious moments, full of deep feeling. I agree you can disagree with this special point, and it's good to exprim your opinion. We don't close our eyes, and i don't forget what happened before! Just remind it!

Spoiler

9NvWq.jpg

On 12/11/2017 at 2:32 PM, gogole mongol said:

During 53 ep (since 1st ep to number 53), we have seen Earth made assault toward Jang, by touching him, saying sexual words into different scenes, and no-one talked about Jang as victim! Jang was above all awake, and not sleeping. It was made in a "teasing" way, nevertheless, is someone imagined the Jang's trauma in this situations. No, everybody was laughing a lot!!! This is a sitcom which have showed they have sens of humour and serious moments, full of deep feeling. I agree you can disagree with this special point, and it's good to exprim your opinion. We don't close our eyes, and i don't forget what happened before! Just remind it!

Reveal hidden contents

9NvWq.jpg

Oh I do agree with you on the fact that we haven't spoken about Earth, but here too it is a sensible subject, yes Earth is only teasing but there is at least in mind as someone who is shipping and analyze them with this lens I see some truth behind Earth's teasing. In such situation teasing or not, the line can be very blurry between just teasing and sexual harrassment. I personnally know someone who was sexually harassed and though I was not a witness of this, I saw the damage it created for her and the guys who did it said it was just teasing.

But to go back about Earth and Jang, the way Earth act so touchy feely and the way Jang response, I don't see a black or white answer. Being a fan of Yaoi and BL, I see in Jang a Tsundere especially as he doesn't want to let it known that he loves Earth so he acts as if he doesn't like it, but chances are that deep down he does. That's how a Tsundere works, but that being said it doesn't excuse the behaviour of the other party. Still it isn't a clear cut situation. I can only say that every time Earth does say something or do something to tease Jang he does in the end respect Jang and doesn't go overboard.

This is for me is all related to consent, and especially after the attempted kiss scene while Earth was sleeping, I do think the show should approach the subject of consent. As you said it is a sitcom and at time serious, they did approach a lot of subjects and some more sensible than others. This was another opportunity and hopefully they will think about it.

Thank you by the way to share your opinion on this, it's a very important subject matter and despite our divergence I'm glad we are having this discussion and in a respectful manner. It's important to have this dialogue and further our thoughts, so thank you.

5 hours ago, sincix said:

Oh wow. Okay now that's how you do it. I didn't expect it to happen just yet, very good performance by both of the boys. Curious to see how it'll continue from here on out.

I do nothing, writer do it!

I agree with you, it's been a long time i havn't seen a so good actor's work, and yes, both are close to be perfect! So much intensity made us forget to watch a sitcom serie. Now i wait for the complete eng sub ep from EBJS team. They told me they will cease under EBJS name after last ep, for reborn as Part Time Subbers (the team who subbed the same name Part Time the serie!)!

Archived