[Drama 2016] Yeah, That's How It Is 그래, 그런거야 | 对,就是那样 | SBS @8.45pm KST

-jade-

HI everyone I havent watched yet as I spent the entire weekend and some of this afternoon binge watching a 2008 drama called family's honor.  Im back now though,  

@denny I also dont think husband is spineless.  He is just the last child he's used to putting up with his overbearing 2nd brother and having to listen to his oldest brother.  He is used to being a go between and seeing the best in every situation and everyone around him because he was too ypung and to low on in rank.  While his wife I believe she said was the oldest and is used to taking charge and handling everything and everyone.  Whats sad really is she functions as the headwife (term I became fond of watching family's honor) when she should have been taking it easy as the thirds son wife.  Not only that but she also has the only surviving male heir in that family.   

@seungshin looking at that screencap husband's body is in total submission, look at his hands, and look at hers.  :D

im off to watch the weekends episodes so I can into the discussions.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, b2stsb2uty said:

HI everyone I havent watched yet as I spent the entire weekend and some of this afternoon binge watching a 2008 drama called family's honor.  Im back now though,  

You too?  Someone else just told me she was binging through that.  One of my favourite shows.  

44 minutes ago, b2stsb2uty said:

He is used to being a go between and seeing the best in every situation and everyone around him because he was too ypung and to low on in rank.  

I believe the older two brothers are from another mother.  That could be why, among other reasons (the oldest daughter in law was not well and the second oldest DIL is a bit slow - as everyone says) the grandparents are living with the youngest son and DIL.  So he is not the baby baby, he is the oldest of the grandmother..... for what all that this signifies....

On 3/28/2016 at 7:23 PM, b2stsb2uty said:

omo from preview of ep 15 HW is keeping a secret...was that teenager his son? little brother?  and why is he hospital when he should be scoutng out a location?  what if he hasnt been working at a;; and just using that as a front to take of sick? who is the sick person?  oh its getting good-

S P O I L E R !!!!

I'm afraid so.  It's revealed at the end of EP 16.   SY answers HW's phone because he was tied up and asked her to and when she answers the caller hangs up.  The curiosity gets better of her and she redials the number and a young man (sounds like a teenager) calls him dad.  This will be interesting, geesh.

aFCTyBJ.png

On that note, there was another thing said (in EP 15 I believe) that caught my attention.

LEo1Ws6.png

This is when MR (second DIL) stayed home sick because of her brother's death and her daughter So Hee fills in for her at the front desk of the restaurant for her.  A bunch of women customers come in and comments on how pretty she is and then one of them says 'she doesn't look like her mother, though.'  Is this just a filler? (is there such a thing with this writer?) or does she have a different mother?  May be adopted?  Or some other story to come?   

@seungshin, Yes chingu that's what I heard also the young boy said his mom passed away, after watching the preview Yoo Se Hee is very distraught after hearing the boy calling her husband Na Hyun Woo Dad this weekend episodes should be good. 

I agree SH/YR wedding was sooner then I thought while her mother was too much crying like that as she had everyone's attention including mine's :D

I'm loving (KHS) Han Hye Kyung on how she's Narrating in this drama as I'm looking forward to hearing more of it.

22 minutes ago, suchadiva42 said:

@seungshin, Yes chingu that's what I heard also the young boy said his mom passed away, after watching the preview Yoo Se Hee is very distraught after hearing the boy calling her husband Na Hyun Woo Dad this weekend episodes should be good. 

I agree SH/YR wedding was sooner then I thought while her mother was too much crying like that as she had everyone's attention including mine's :D

I'm loving (KHS) Han Hye Kyung on how she's Narrating in this drama as I'm looking forward to hearing more of it.

OMG I know, I don't know how Se Hee is going to get through this one.  She had a small (or not so small) fit because her mother wanted to use her old room in her old home, which she doesn't technically belong to anymore (I personally thought that was a bit overkill) but may be the writer wanted to show her what a real life set-back will look and feel like.  Poor her, trying to have a baby and to be a mother and bam, she learns her husband already has a child?  Yikes.  This is going to get ugly for her.  Oh dear.

1 hour ago, seungshin said:

OMG I know, I don't know how Se Hee is going to get through this one.  She had a small (or not so small) fit because her mother wanted to use her old room in her old home, which she doesn't technically belong to anymore (I personally thought that was a bit overkill (but may be the writer wanted to show her what a real life set-back will look and feel like).  Poor her, trying to have a baby and to be a mother and bam, she learns her husband already has a child?  Yikes.  This is going to get ugly for her.  Oh dear.

I agree chingu and we see in the preview. Yoo Se Hee already have hubby clothes at the door for him to leave the premise but like u said it's going to get messy smh.

1 hour ago, b2stsb2uty said:

omo I had to stop watching ep15 to say now I know whats between sourpuss and YR...its called passion. Did you see that kiss outside of YR's house?  Man I wish i knew how to screencap:(

Yes chingu Se Hyun was very serious when he kissed Yoo Ri as he was looking around to see if anyone was watching them lol. 

EP 16:  The Happy Couple!

I don't know why (may be because her mother seems so much worse than her that she made her look better in comparison) but I've finally begun to like YR in this episode.  Like it or not, now that she's married into the big family she will take up a lot of screen time with her trial and tribulations of becoming a new daughter in law.   I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold!

J5CHBwI.png

dU3fu7J.png

VCDCMtO.png

And the Wedding Noodles!

zAoYKUS.png

I don't know if it's the case in any other culture but in Korean culture, noodles with broth (warm in the winter or cool in the summer) is served at wedding feasts (along with other foods of course).  The noodles signify a long life together for the couple.  It is so entrenched that when someone asks about an upcoming marriage sometimes one would ask 'so, when are you going to invite me for noodles?' or 'hey, I hear we are going to have noodles soon.'  

I know everyone here is very knowledgeable about Korean culture but I thought I'd share this just in case.......... cheers!

@seungshin Thanks chingu love the screenshots of SH/YR wedding they do look nice together, I agree YR mother had her the way she is but will change once she move in with her in-laws. And like u I'm looking forward to seeing a change in YR as I know it's not going to be easy for her in the beginning lol.

Those Noodles sure looks good and could eat it throughout the year even if it's not a wedding (mmm) :P

Btw" When I quoted you about Se Hee and summit it, then turned around and quoted @b2stsb2uty I don't know how it was on the same post. As I like to sing that song by (Rockwell) It always feels like somebody's watching me :D

On 4/3/2016 at 11:46 AM, ObsessiveCompulsive said:

Well I guess YR and Se Hyun are married now so no turning back on for this couple. I just feel their storyline is so played out. Ditsy, dense, overly immature daughter in law and her hard a ss mother in law. Plus I can't feel the chemistry and love between the actors, I have no reason to fight for them you know? Hopefully now we can get more screen time for other characters.

I feel the same, chingu. No chemistry. How is that possible? considering they both individually look pretty good. I guess (for me) even if given a bed scene, I'd still not wanna watch them. Jo Han Sun, what a waste of this good-looking hunk. I think this Se Hyun role pales far far from his previous role with this writer, in her prior project 'Thrice Married Woman'. In there, his vet role was way more interesting, and coupled with Uhm Ji Won, they made an interesting couple. Anyway, I hope something will change for him. I'm afraid I have to write off this couple at the moment.

EDIT: Looking at the caps from @seungshin They do look good! Let's see if they'll make my heart thump soon.:blink:

18 hours ago, booha said:

Well It looks like the writer didn’t drag out the marriage of  Se Hyun and Yoo Ri.  I know some don’t like Yoo Ri but I like her unconventional behavior.  When she was with Se Hyun’s granny and mom,  Yoo Ri appeared to be like a wild duckling and baffled them in funny ways.  At this point the granny and mom became a predictable pact which can be heartwarming to see but also a bit boring after awhile.   Yoo Ri could be some fresh tonic in between two matriarchs. Could she become another matriarch someday??  :glasses::expressionless:

I agree Yoo Ri is unconventional. Prob the only saving grace for this character. But, at the moment, she is also uninteresting. So perhaps uninteresting and double boring will make a positive somehow? I'm open to that. I hope something positive will evolve from their interaction. Let's see how writer KSH will push the envelope on 'unconventional DIL'. On this one aspect, I can get excited now :P 

6 hours ago, dexter8010 said:

Yeah Yoo Ri is very annoying but who knows what happen. Earlier i fing Na Young as very annoying person as well but now she is one of best character whom i wait while watching especially when she together with Se Joon. Anyway now i looking forward what will happen with Se Hee.

LOL me too. Na Young was annoying in the beginning. Though I do enjoy her scenes with Se Joon. Now that Se Hyun and Yoo Ri are together, the iffy issue between Na Young and Se Hyun (for me) is gone, I can now concentrate on enjoying the development of Na Young and Se Joon. Just thinking of them as a loving couple is enough to bring a smile to my face, Ahhh... what happens when they kiss? I mean really KISS! @suchadiva42 you better hold my hand before I lose my balance and fall over :blush: No, not faint out of frustration. But you know, out of J.O.Y. ;)

5 hours ago, seungshin said:

How is it possible that this thread is trending as a 'hot topic' on the front page of Soompi Forums?  Right there with the Song Song couple.  I had to screen capture it!  Now I wonder if @jadecloud paid for a booster! :blush:

0MIEh96.gif0MIEh96.gif0MIEh96.gif That's me. Thumping the floor because I.AM.SO.HAPPY. It worked! You see, I had enticed Ji Hoon with a plan to win Hye Soo's heart, and in return, he had to sell off his sports car and designer watch, to pay me. See....my proof ...

mctcTRf.gif

And guess where that dough went to? Yup. Thanks SO.MUCH. for capping it. It's a keeper! :D What? What's the plan? hehe bimil.B)Tune in to upcoming eps.  

Besides, it's actually a clairvoyant moment (from the universe) into the future. Yup. This drama will pick up pace, interest will pick up, and hence its ratings will pick up too. @badsmuler Yay to that! :P (hey chingu, I'm so hooked onto KS/DA OTP now. They are making me eat out of their hands in every scene! Yup. They are so awesome! I hope YJH will take on a tough/badazz/elegant/rags2riches woman role in her next drama. I'd like to see her be really bad for a change.)

Btw, so glad you @seungshin are back to kicksomeazz, I mean, put some action back into this rather 'sleepy and silent' thread :P 

One of the things that were discussed in this video (YTHII: The beginning) which was posted earlier in this thread is the different sets in the drama and how meticulously everything has been designed and what they mean.  (Someone should subb this video someday :w00t:).  

Everything from family photos, to furniture and paintings hanging on the wall have meaning.  Different homes (grandparents, the first son, the second son, the rooms of the boys) all are decorated to most minute detail to express the personalities and characteristics of the persons/roles who occupy these rooms.  

Spoiler

uhQY7Sy.png

Lee Ha Jung (Artistic PD): 'in places like Min-Ho's apartment, there was a suggestion (by NJH who plays the role of Min Ho) the paintings on the wall, should be something compatible with the character.  As the artistic PD of the drama she is grateful at such interest and sees it as the actor's desire to use everything around him to express his character (so in this drama it's not just the actors that have OCD like the writer-nim!).

The actor (NJH) brought his own paintings to decorate his character apartment.  

YxqntUM.png

Qi14k68.png

The video has NJH actually helping the crew put up this painting.

duPMl3y.png

The video also has interviews by Prop/Trope PD to explaining a lot of things on the set (will post that later).  In one incident he mentions, the filming was delayed for a whole week because the grandparents (KBJ and LSJ) thought the blanket on the set (stuffed with synthetic material) was improper (didn't show right) because it's something that a couple of their age would not use (another set of perfectionists on the show).  

CFqPSAU.png

KBJ:  "It's (not looking right) because you are trying to use the new style blanket to look like the old fashioned blanket"

Here the exasperated Trope director speaks about how the filming had to be delayed for a week, they rushed to get proper ones but still the grandparents were still not happy and quotes them saying 'people our age would not use such a blanket.'  Geesh....... 

Spoiler

foJ9zSA.png

nTQXv93.png

HXXH2Pc.png

So with all that said, I noticed that just in EP 15 and 16 (though this is something I've noticed before), so many scenes are framed or covered by bars.  I am not very artistically inclined nor am I knowledgeable about architectural meanings of things we see around us.  

In Secret Love Affair thread where we dissected every little thing for hidden meanings, the thread was populated with some really interesting minds who were able to creatively explain or speculate their meanings beyond anything I could begin to venture with my limited imagination.  

Anyway, I just wanted to post some of the screen caps to see if anyone here can come out of their closets and add anything for all of our benefit.  Or you can tell me I have too much time in my hands (and I really don't) :blush:

Spoiler

j83YyP5.png

This scene is from the restaurant when So Hee was filling in for her mom after a night shift and Ms Kang is asking her to have a rest in one of the rooms in the restaurant.

qAET3Uv.png

Se Joon in his room

lLNJu4v.png

Min Ho's apartment

wBosYti.png

klLLzfj.png

Ta Hee's apartmenttjozYvd.png

Min Ho's apartment again

8O6OryM.png

Se Hee's apartment (or is it her room in the old house?).

Then again, I may be making a deal out window blinds?  After all they are common :wub:

Ok I know I talked alot tonight but just one more thing

If you dated for several years and then married, how can you keep the fact that you have a teenage son from your wife? You dated for years, its not like you had several blind dates but instead dated for several years and it NEVER came up that you have a son?  Sorry but anyone that can hide something for that long is not truthful and is not respectful of you much less love you, This though is kdramaland which means she will in time forgive and adopt him as her own :angry:

On 4/5/2016 at 9:02 PM, b2stsb2uty said:

Sorry but anyone that can hide something for that long is not truthful and is not respectful of you much less love you, This though is kdramaland which means she will in time forgive and adopt him as her own :angry:

I agree. While I'm all for forgiveness and redemption, and second chances, scenarios like this really irks me with the message it is sending to the mass. Does it then mean it's ok for a man to behave like this? and in turn, the womenfolk have to just suck it up? Likewise, in the other drama I'm also watching, more like addicted to, the chairman also had a 'love' son, and the legal wife ended up having to raise the 'love' son. The repercussion from such a 'forced upon' relationship, there's a no-brainer for how the child will grow up. Just as MC's Ji Hoon, who grew up ignored, disregarded and unloved. How sad!

I wonder how this writer will develop this relationship? How can it be ok for Se Hee to just accept this son? I find it hard to believe. Her marriage with Hyun Woo, actually way back from their courtship days, was already based on falsehood and lies. How can that be a foundation to raise a love child? much less to raise a new baby she's hoping to conceive? And no wonder Hyun Woo is adamant against having any future generation. This 'love child' must feel like a chain around his neck? 

I'm normally not in favor of divorce. But in this case, I can't see why not? Perhaps more background info would help to ease my unease about this couple. Aish, sad for Se Hee. So far, she's one of my fave characters.  

On 4/5/2016 at 7:54 PM, seungshin said:

Then again, I may be making a deal out window blinds?  After all they are common :wub:

Awesome insights in this post. And thanks for more clarification on the star writer KSH's vid. I'd quote just this part for my input. No, I don't think you are making a big deal out of the blinds. 

I think PDnim is cleverly using 'blinds' to literally and metaphorically refer to 'eyesight' and 'vision'. Such as 'how things are' as seen by the character concerned' in each specific scene with 'blinds' in the foreground. Or it could be 'how the truth is blinded' from their eyes. Much like plays/literature symbolism, I think.

For eg...

• Se Hee, very clearly has been blinded by her love for Hyun Woo, and very clearly couldn't see the truth that's staring in her face.
  • Ji Sun and Min Ho, the way they see each other, as father and daughter, even though they are in fact FIL and DIL.
  • Se Joon, very clearly is missing the big picture of his life when he is going against the grain for societal norms, where jobs and careers are concerned. Not necessarily saying he is wrong to be 'different'. Just his 'vision' is so diametrically opposed to that of his mom's, and pretty much everyone else around him.

I'm either guessing too wildly or PDnim is shrewd and skillful with his 'directorial eye'.

Archived