What's The Best Sunscreen Lotion For Outdoors?

elizabeth

I'm looking for sunscreen lotion and I need help.  What's the best sunscreen lotion you guys recommend?  Any brand is fine.  I'm going swimming/tubbing this weekend and I'm not sure what kind of sunscreen to buy.  Let me know what you guys recommend.  In case you guys are wondering, I don't have any kind of skin allergic reactions, no rash, no itchiness, etc.. none of that sort..

if you can find it, wotnot spf30+. well selected natural ingredients, zinc oxide as the active ingredient. you cant get any better than that.

downside, its expensive. and if youre not used to natural products, the scent and greasiness could be off-putting.

Guest severus

Gah I hate sunscreen, but I use a spray on one from Biotherm on my body if I'm outdoors. And nothing on my face because I hate sunscreen. It's greasy and is a recipe for runny makeup. 

I'm looking for sunscreen lotion and I need help.  What's the best sunscreen lotion you guys recommend?  Any brand is fine.  I'm going swimming/tubbing this weekend and I'm not sure what kind of sunscreen to buy.  Let me know what you guys recommend.  In case you guys are wondering, I don't have any kind of skin allergic reactions, no rash, no itchiness, etc.. none of that sort..

The Honest Company.  Recent research is claiming that a lot of sun screens are actually bad for you (but who knows how accurate that is because it seems like every year something that's suppose to prevent cancer causes cancer, and a lot of that research is industry driven).  http://www.siouxlandmatters.com/story/d/story/dermatologist-responds-to-harmful-sunscreen-report/28554/dSRVpmdm6USOAWpGUbYsEQ  

But The Honest Company makes a lot of good stuff.  Also, Jessica Alba and Brian Lee own it.  It's made Jessica Alba ultra rich, beyond the riches of even Hollywood A-Listers.  Plus, you're supporting Asian-American CEOs (there aren't many considering how many go to top business schools).  I'm not big on organic products at all, but I use Honest sunscreen everyday and it works -- I spend a lot of time in the sun.  

Gah I hate sunscreen, but I use a spray on one from Biotherm on my body if I'm outdoors. And nothing on my face because I hate sunscreen. It's greasy and is a recipe for runny makeup. 

there are powder kind that you can apply on top of makeup. Unnoticeable at all. 

http://www.dermstore.com/reviews/details_138848.htm

Guest ciaovickyy

I used Avene's Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+ during the three weeks I spent at the peak of the European summer(and trust me that was very hot and VERY sunny) - it's pricey but it has a dry finish and doesn't feel heavy at all and it did the job! Plus it didn't make me break out in a heat rash like my other drugstore sunscreen did 

If it's accessible where you are I would definitely recommend it :)

Even though this is old, but if you're still interested in looking for a sunscreen,

The kind of sunscreen I use is Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Lotion, or the Sensitive Skin Sunblock lotion. They contain zinc oxide and titanium dioxide :) these are the ingredients found in physical sunscreen AKA "sunblock", if you're not looking for a tan I highly recommend using sunblock over sunscreens, because you can still get a tan if you apply a chemical sunscreen; actually sunblocks aren't 100% tan-proof either, but it does block off a good portion and unless you are exposed to strong sunlight for an extended period of time, this should keep you tan-free. I'm currently using the baby sunblock lotion, and I love it, it doesn't cause me breakout or anything (I have acne prone skin). All in all, I highly recommend this sunblock, it is easy to apply on evenly (the best way to apply sunscreen/sunblock is to rub it onto your hands and pat it to your skin so it coats on evenly), and the bottle says it's "water resistant" (but you will be losing some of it's effectiveness when going into the water wearing any sunscreen).

Guest Mikeyz

back in first year uni we did a test with sunscreen with various spf

any sunscreen above 30spf is good anything under will not protect you enough

DO NOT use sunscreen from The Honest Company.  Recent articles have come out to say that they are ineffective.  Just Google/Bing "The Honest Company" and "Sunscreen" and you will see them.  Many users have posted pictures to Instagram, detailing the sunburns they get while using the sunscreen.  Also, when companies claim that they are "All Natural," it is just a gimmick.  Cyanide is natural. 

I recommend Japanese sunscreens.  They have SPF50 and PA++++ formulas that include chemical and physical sunscreens as well as quick drying formulas.  Can have long ship times though.  Nivea has been a popular sunscreen in r/asianbeauty.  http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Japan-Perfect-Water-Spf35/dp/B00SM997GE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1438795347&sr=8-4&keywords=nivea+sun+protect Prime shipping but only SPF30. http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Protect-Super-Water-Japan/dp/B00SM997I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438795347&sr=8-1&keywords=nivea+sun+protect No Prime shipping but max SPF50

Whatever sunscreen you use, just make sure to reapply every 2 hours and check for burning.

Many users have posted pictures to Instagram, detailing the sunburns they get while using the sunscreen.  Also, when companies claim that they are "All Natural," it is just a gimmick.  Cyanide is natural.

i had a look at the ingredients used in the honest company sunscreen, and it seems ok to me. i dont know what is the minimum amount needed for zinc oxide to be effective as a true spf30 sunscreen, so i assume 9.3% (of the net weight?) used in the sunscreen is sufficient. if that is the case, i am certain the people who have used it and claim the sunscreen to be inffective have not applied enough. people are so used to using sunscreens with real gimmicks like quick drying and spf50+, they have forgotten or have no idea how to apply proper sunscreen. but of course, there is the factor that the company isnt all that honest, with a poorly formulated product.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived