Guest ororomunroe

8 hours ago, bjvipb2uty said:

Shall I voice a frustration I have? I too, like many of you, wanna flip the table every time someone immediately labels Jung as bad, evil, violent, unpardonable. Oh gosh the unpardonable thing makes me go bonkers.

Why? Because so many kdramas have main leads that are just straight up jerks! It drives me crazy how the girl seems to get her memory wiped because she never goes back and thinks 'hmm this is the same guy who insulted me and treated me like trash.' But no! The leading ladies are all head over heels for the guy. Now I'm not saying I don't get entertained by these tropes because here I am, 6 years later and I'm still hooked on kdramas. But I want to focus on the audience. Let's compare the typical kdrama male leads vs Jung and how the audience in general has responded to their actions. 

Saying kdrama guys are jerks is an understatement really because they can be so annoying. They insult the girl. And not just any insult; they find the words to cut through the girl's pride. Then to top it off they step all over the girl's pride by either saying or demonstrating how much more superior they are to her. How quaint.

[snip]

Now let us look at Jung, shall we? Did he ever insult Seol? No. Did he flaunt his status? Nope. (He doesn't flaunt his money nor status to anyone actually...well maybe Inho some but that's not the point here.) Now did/does he do questionable things? Yes. Definitely. Has he been an adorable puppy to Seol now that they're dating? YES he's FREAKING CUTE when he's with Seol. 

But how does the audience respond to Jung? Psychopath, sociopath, manipulator, evil, etc. He's gonna hurt Seol one day. Unpardonable. I don't care how sweet you are. You're a weirdo. 

Why is there a difference? Why are there different standards in regards to judging Jung vs every other main lead? I love Jung. I think he's an incredibly brilliant character but I know he's done questionable things. I know he's flawed. I know when other main leads mess up and sometimes I do forgive them. So why WHY don't people do the same for Jung!? You guys forgive those jerky dudes and can't even give Jung the benefit of the doubt. At least give him that for heaven's sake. Stop with the double standards! 

The difference is... as we've said here and others have said... is that this show doesn't whitewash Jung's personality flaws. The show is prepared to call a spade a spade and make the audience wary of him as much as possible. Most other dramas with asshat male leads romanticize them and sugarcoat all their bad behaviour as cute and misunderstood... and even a necessary precursor to "character development".

Did you ever watch a makjang drama called Secret? That show was all kinds of disturbing. Well, at least I thought I so. But it seemed to be hugely popular and I would scratch my head constantly wondering what the attraction was, what I was missing. I guess having an actor of Ji Sung's calibre made the bitter pill a lot easier to swallow but still... the male lead bullied, badgered, stalked the ridiculously long-suffering female lead until he fell for her. 

Of course Jung isn't necessarily better just because other guys are worse but it's interesting how the romance genre quite often works to conceal quite a bit of chauvinism. Here, they seem to be stripping him bare or at the very least making you question his trustworthiness. It's like when Eustace met Aslan for the first time in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. He had transformed as a dragon but the only way he could be un-dragoned was to have his outer skin torn off by Aslan, one layer at a time. A painful and necessary process of healing.

As a fan, I'd like to see Jung vindicated but only if it's consistent with what we've seen. I don't think he's misunderstood and he is quite capable of being ruthless BUT I think he is less responsible for things than he has been accused of being. Falling in love probably makes him a lot more vulnerable than he used to be which has forced him to confront aspects of his own character that he's never felt the need to confront before.

Edited: I do also think he is often arguably justified in how he deals with people who get away with murder.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's coming got me so emotional even in webtoon and now I will see it in the drama by 2 great actor and actress! Im so excited!

Jung's backhug is like 'I don't know if you need me but I am here'...just like everytime. 

He always helps her without saying anything and she knows it, accepts it and appreciates it. He doesnt ask for 'thank you' or any appreciation, he just needs her to live happily because thats all that matters.

now I got emotional again...their love is beautiful. If they dont end up together,  I think I might cry more than my own break-up :tears:

Because of a back hug, this thread moved 3 pages~~

If it's a bed scene.. I wonder how many pages will it be???? Hahahahaha :blush:

BTW, they haven't show us the scene where In Ha trips/bullies Seol, right? Or, did I totally missed that?? Haha

See u guys tonight!

@MrsSoJiSub

That whisper will send shivers down my spine. Can that be done in a sexy way? LOL!!!

I definitely value a guy who would give me space to think and not crowd me (backhug is an exception). The side effect of it would be that Seol will miss him more - no more sudden 'Do you want to have lunch?' or 'Do you want to have dinner?' 

YJ knew what Seol was doing by avoiding him and rejecting his invitations for dinner and he was amused. From Ep 1 - after he caught her at the library looking at her registered classes. 

YJspy_zps3x1zggro.gif

And quite prophetic words our Eun Taek said. 

Seems like the back hug draw out alot of lurkers!:D

Is it me or we got bigger reaction to the backhug vs the bench kiss? :D what is it about backhugs? vulnerability? heehee

@40somethingahjumma yep I watched Secret, was quite a fan of it. Yep, lead was truly, openly abusive.:blink:

-----------------

I am such a goner for CITT. :blush:

7 hours ago, chrianna said:

i totally agree about Jung not being as rotten as some of the k-drama leads i've watched before.  the deal breaker for me (maybe) is if he knew when YG was stalking Seol.  if he didn't know it was happening when it was happening, ok.  but i really hate that kind of violence against women and i really don't like that he enabled it.  i do realize that YG has to be an extra special kind of psycho to operate that way based on jung's texts.

i'm still figuring out the timeline of the first ep.  so when she gets drunk and says she's dropping out for a year that is a year after she catches jung spilling the drink on NJY.  so the YG stalking has already happened as well as the party prep where seol has held jung's hand.  so when jung goes to pick her up, he has already started liking her then?

also, i'm rewatching ep 5 right now and angry jung at the end is a leetle sexy . . . 

From what I remember of the scene, Jung observed Seol being very nice to YG after Jung had subdued him mentally by some method. We just know that Jung and YG left the basketball court with YG repeatedly apologizing to Jung after calling him out in front of the crowd.  Seol later sees YG sitting on a bench looking dejected. She felt sorry for him and even gave him something to drink and physically touched his shoulder (rule number one ladies, if you see a guy you barely know behaving erratically, don't go out of your way later when you see him all subdued to be overly nice to him---he just might be a little crazy with stalker tendencies).

Jung observes this scene between Seol with YG.  Later, YG who took Seol's act of kindness to mean that she likes him. When he texted Jung later he told him that all the kids in school have been ignoring him lately. He appreciates Jung forgiving him. Jung texted him back:  "Are things very bad with the school kids?  It seemed like Seol was concerned about you?"   YG:  "You saw that? I did get the feeling it could be more when Seol was concerned for me like that. What did you think, Jung?" Jung: "I guess Seol likes you."  Then InHo's crazy, selfish sister took his phone and played a little match making by sending the encouraging texts to YG. Jung was wrong for not stopping her, but he didn't knowingly put a stalker on Seol. Neither Seol nor Jung could know that YG would take things to an extreme.  YG has only himself to blame for his crazy behavior and Seol needs to be careful around some men--especially those she doesn't know.

Thats how I'm interpreting the scenes......I just think people are jealous and resentful of his wealth. They fear him because with money comes power, yet at the same time want to believe that he's corrupt and think the worst of him. He also can give back as good as he can take it from people--eye for an eye.  People are lying or exaggerating the truth and others believe those lies.  I know when I watched the first couple of episodes, I was jumping to conclusions about him and then the truth would be revealed. Now after 8 episodes, I'm a skeptic when it comes to Jung's misdeeds and know that there will be scenes to clear things up later. I have more of a problem with Seol; I'm not liking the way she treats Jung and in some regards disrespects him. It would be different if he told her to stay away from Eun Teak, who has been her male friend for years. Instead he asked her to stay away from InHo a male she just met who has been demanding that she buys him meals. She has a boyfriend, but she's seeking out time with InHo. Then we have InHo who doesn't respect their relationship either. So, I'm becoming more disappointed in Seol. 

From a timeline perspective, it's a little confusing, I think the stalking may have occurred between the spilled beer when she first meets Jung and her final decision to drop out of school. Jung liked and disliked her; he was also angry at her for thinking he tried to frame her for exposing their thieving friend.

Chingu-deul!!

For those who has already streaming.. may I ask what is showing right now??? coz I supposed to open 2 'TVN' links, but both are showing different shows!! :bawling:

Is it the SNL EXID, or press conference of Kim Dong Won's & Song Kang Ho's movie??

Edit: I think I'll wait with both links... until the drama shows up... somehow I felt like talking to myself in this thread... hahaha... no one responded to my questions.. :cry:

@dorothy yap I PMed you already~ ^^

C-subbed Ep 9 Back Hug BTS is out~

Video link here: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/UCPy06fk7dI/

ed97c81bjw1f0jmd3lfaqg20b4068e86.gif(cr x)

Eng Translations here:

Spoiler

[Captions] Why are the two so serious today? Could it be that they fought?

[Captions] Omg, it’s a sudden back hug attack by YJ sunbae! This is too heart fluttering!

[Captions] But seeing from the front view, because of the height difference, the two of them aren’t too comfortable.

[Captions ard Seol] Uncomfortable, uncomfortable, uncomfortable, neck getting numb, shoulders in pain

[Captions ard YJ] awkward awkward, stiff stiff

[Captions] Emergency appearance by LYJ Director-nim, commencing her special coaching

[Captions]An upgraded YJ-brand back hug filled with even more love <3 <3 <3

[Captions] All the staff monitoring intently

[Captions] From a faraway distance are the cries from a distressed animal

[Captions] LYJ director-nim who’s teasing HS who turned red! But why is the director’s face even redder?

[Captions] The devil-like YJ sunbae who has captured the hearts of 2 women because of one back hug!

[Captions]The seduction by YJ sunbae continues every Monday and Tuesday night at 11pm!

According to weibo comments left by C-netz, LYJ Director-nim was teasing Seol: Why is your face so red? Why is it so red? Following this our Seol-ie ran over to YJ sunbae to complain and ask why he was doing some extra movements that weren’t part of the director's instructions. :)

During the interview from  several articles Ji Yoonho as known as (Almighty) (given by me lol) Oh Younggun said Park Hae Jin sunbae :sweatingbullets:helped him a lot to fit his role. His role model is actually Ha Jung Woo sunbaenim from his agency Fantagio (I just realized his agency is also Seo Kang Joon's). He said his parents also watch the drama and seem so proud of him. 

115730_106957_3319.jpg  

Archived