[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I think it is fine if you are going to share your wonderful theories about who is going to end up with who.

I do agree, it is very interesting to listen to the whole spread of perceptions and everything. I think I've made myself very clear about respecting each others' opinions. Just because someone else don't share the same view as you, that doesn't give you the right to degrade someone else. I don't think it is very nice to call other people names for something that they don't agree on or simply view things the other way. 

Just a suggestion: Maybe Taek shippers can discuss about theories and other relevant stuff related to TK-DS on their own shippers thread and not on the main thread. I think that is the only fair way for both JH shippers and TaekHwan shippers (Heh kidding!).

And also... How come I don't see theories about the other characters here in the main thread? I miss the squishy JB and dancing machine DR!

This is totally unfair! >:( Anyone willing to discuss about how the funny man DR is actually insecure with himself? 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I think she might have been trying to point out the stupidity of a ridiculous cliche.

I think so too.. it's about time we stop that stupid cliche ... JH remind me the book - "He is just not that into you" .. JH is one of the ppl describe in that book ...

If he does not tell you that he loves you ... "He is just not that into you" .. (no matter what the reason)

I suggest every girl should read this book ... go read ... you won't be confused with the mix signal like the mix signal JH been giving to DS.

Something just occurred to me.

Since Taek+DS was the writer's story, it means deconstructing the series to examine how that story was constructed is integral to the main thread. 

Since JH+alone was another story integral to the writer's intention for the R1988 experience, it makes sense to deconstruct the series to fully understand why JH was unsuitable for DS but grew into the perfect tent pole for his family. 

After all the shippers war is over since the writer has chosen a champion.

All that is left is to understand how intricately the story was put together and how the writer created a partner who could fill DS's needs.

--just saying.

41 minutes ago, fnkrm said:

Just a suggestion: Maybe Taek shippers can discuss about theories and other relevant stuff related to TK-DS on their own shippers thread and not on the main thread. I think that is the only fair way for both JH shippers and TaekHwan shippers (Heh kidding!).

Why? Main thread = free for all. Be it JH/TK/DS/SW/BR/DR shipper. We all can agree to disagree. We all have different perspective. 

Besides, once upon a time jh-ds shippers called us delusional for our avid fascination with tk-ds. Isn't it fun now to read why it is tk-ds all along and how jh lost his chance and be the poster boy for failed first love?

@hushhh i agree. 

Now that the drama has ended and the answer is clear, there shouldnt be anymore shippers, only general fans of the drama.

The ship that sailed in the end has evolved into THE final love line, the ANSWER.

So as fans of the drama, shouldnt we discuss about it like normal fans would do?

I didnt see any complain about the MT being too "Shippers-oriented " when just a week ago JH fans swarmed this place with hateful comments towards the writter.

@fnkrm i know you meant no harm but thats my opinion though :)

Lol at some people who mock CHOI TAEK. Choi Taek is legend. Probably one of the most interesting characters in kdrama-land ever. Get your richard simmons together. Character like him wont be easily forgotten. One of a kind.

Thanks ilhwa;

As a mother of a daughter, who do you really want as a son-in-law?
“Ehm… Taek (laugh). I like how gentle and innocent he is. If it’s this kind of son-in-law, it seems like he could make my daughter live peacefully and happily. Park Bogum is really kind and pure. That’s rare to see in a youth nowadays. When I said that I wanted Bogummie as a son-in-law in real life, he said, “Really, mom?” and smiled.”

No mom ever wanted her daughter to be with someone who always tell her daughter ugly and even kick her. So rude. Unless he is a 5years old. Lol that mentality.

Once again lol at some people who love that kind of treatment. Seriously? Its 2016 already and seems like some people forget about feminism. 

29 minutes ago, monsterlife said:

Why? Main thread = free for all. Be it JH/TK/DS/SW/BR/DR shipper. We all can agree to disagree. We all have different perspective. 

Besides, once upon a time jh-ds shippers called us delusional for our avid fascination with tk-ds. Isn't it fun now to read why it is tk-ds all along and how jh lost his chance and be the poster boy for failed first love?

Yes, I agree that the main thread is free for all. 

Yes, everyone have different perspective. You have all the rights to agree/disagree.

But the keyword here is respect. I have seen posts degrading other shippers as though we are 'stupid' or 'blind' to see the facts. I don't think it is very nice for people to degrade/condemn other people. I don't understand why shippers have to argue about this. Can't we all enjoy the drama together? 

Plus, I didn't mean any harm. It was just a suggestion. 

16 minutes ago, PiggyKid said:

@hushhh i agree. 

Now that the drama has ended and the answer is clear, there shouldnt be anymore shippers, only general fans of the drama.

The ship that sailed in the end has evolved into THE final love line, the ANSWER.

So as fans of the drama, shouldnt we discuss about it like normal fans would do?

I didnt see any complain about the MT being too "Shippers-oriented " when just a week ago JH fans swarmed this place with hateful comments towards the writter.

@fnkrm i know you meant no harm but thats my opinion though :)

I agree with you however, the highlighted portion -- I think it is very normal for JH shippers to feel the frustration. JH shippers may find the storyline/ending as something absurd because: 

1. Why would the writer build up JH character in the first part of the drama and suddenly show minimal scenes of him towards the end?
  2. The conclusion? JH shippers want to see JH be happy with another girl (like r94, even CB got a closure).
  3. What about the fate of the other characters? Why aren't there future scenes of the character? 

I find it hard to find a closure to this R88 because of the open ending... We didn't even get to see TKxDS wedding and/or marriage life. I think that is why the majority felt frustrated? I seriously don't think it is because of TK being the hubby. One episode is just not enough to explain and it seems so rushed. And again, it is just my opinion. 

Is it okay if I request something from @packmule3

Since I've seen your past works with theories and everything, I am impressed with your diverse ideas.

Maybe when you have the time, can you help unpack the other characters like JB and DR? I am upset that not many people realise how these two characters actually help in the development in this series.

And also... why do you think JH chooses his friendship with Taek over his love for DS as we all know that JH likes DS like crazy? 

This is 1 of the best family drama I ever watched. 

Kim Bros = #idealsibings

Junghwan and Sunwoo = Ideal son (Junghwan can be tsundere but his actions shows it and Sunwoo is sweet all the way)

Taek is also understanding towards his Dad. 

Sung family kids are not as ideal but at the same time they are much similar to how most of us are. 

I remember before husband revealed, I do not even have the courage to lurk in this main thread. Why? You know why.. :D

But after Taek as the Husband, "the feel" that I feel for 18 episode rewards by how change this thread.

Now, even when I read bad comments or denial here, I only can say, I know you still have the maximum pain, I'll read with my patients eyes.. 

Keep posting guys. I'll read :)

3 hours ago, monsterlife said:

In addition to that, we're not doing the analysis to prove something, the drama ends and its proven. TK/neutral/ script  posters here want to share how genius the writer is..we keep on re-watching to appreciate more her masterpiece, how great she is and the drama...

Some viewers/posters/my co-shippers find this drama as an intellectually challenging that even we know who is the end game,how the drama ends, we never stop just like that, we re-watch because were amused on the details..we want to enjoy the beauty and depth of her creation...how meticulous she presented each character and scenes.

Taek is the ENDGAME...but it doesn't mean its END of the analysis.. we want to share the other facts/analysis that we might overlook bcoz of the HUSBAND GUESSING GAMES... hihihihihi...just kidding..^__^

If this bothered you just simply skip and ignore it...

@fnkrm Yes like i have said before, i understand JH's fans frustration, i really do because i love JH too and i can see myself in him (tbh the hesitation when it comes to love its easy to relate to). And not just him, but DR also feel left out.

BUT

TOO many JH fans (the majority) react so extremely to the ending, to the point of trying to sign a petition for the writer to change the ending or try to bash on other characters and even the actors (yes that did happened).

For example, They too said that DS is "stupid" and "blind" for not realize JH's feeling, they implied and described Taek as a grown-richard simmons disgusting man-child who cant do anything on his own when in fact he is one of the bravest and manliest male character i know in rom-com drama. 

Now if you put yourself in our place, what would you feel? :/

What would you feel if your favourite drama get ridiculed and your favourite characters get bashed on mercilessly just because the hubby didnt turned out to be JH ( again, not all is upset because of this reason, but the majority, and its a fact)

You cant talk about respect if you disrespect others like that

And again, im not talking about you or the others JH fans that actually has common sense and tried to open themselves to others opinions.

Im talking about those who cant keep their feelings in check and keep making unnecessary fuss and straight up rude comments about one of the best drama i've watched despite the rushed ending. (yes i would love to have a Tk DS marriage and confession to both families but i have to accept it :tears: )

So you have to understand our frustration too. :)

Sincerely

2 minutes ago, PiggyKid said:

@fnkrm Yes like i have said before, i understand JH frustration, i really do because i love JH too and i can see myself in him (tbh the hesitation when it comes to love its easy to relate to). And not just him, but DR also feel left out.

BUT

TOO many JH fans (the majority) react so extremely to the ending, to the point of trying to sign a petition for the writer to change the ending or try to bash on other characters and even the actors (yes that did happened).

For example, They too said that DS is "stupid" and "blind" for not realize JH's feeling, they implied and described Taek as a grown-richard simmons disgusting man-child who cant do anything on his own when in fact he is one of the bravest and manliest male character i know in rom-com drama. 

Now if you put yourself in our place, what would you feel? :/

What would you feel if your favourite drama get ridiculed and your favourite characters get bashed on mercilessly just because the huppy didnt turned out to be JH ( again, not all is upset because of this reason, but the majority, and its a fact)

You cant talk about respect if you disrespect others like that

And again, im not talking about you or the others JH fans that actually has common sense and tried to open themselves to others opinions.

Im talking about those who cant keep their feelings in check and keep making unnecessary fuss and straight up rude comments about one of the best drama i've watched despite the rushed ending. (yes i would love to have a Tk DS marriage and confession to both families but i have to accept it :tears: )

So you have to understand our frustration too. :)

Sincerely

Honestly, I tried watching the series again in TK shippers' POV. And yes, I do understand your frustrations too. Even I got annoyed by the rushed ending and poor explanation. Isn't this series supposed to highlight the importance of family and friends? 

I am not saying that all JH shippers are innocent but most of JH shippers are actually very nice people and they, too, loved Taek.

They are upset about the ending but still give kudos to Taek for being the hubby. Yes, we are disappointed about JH not being the hubby but we are angry at the ending that the writer gave to JH. People misunderstood JH's character big time. The uproar is not just apparent internationally... even in Korea, they are upset about the ending. 

Same goes to us. I hope TK shippers, too, feel our pain. I am upset that some have to go so low and calling JH shippers names and ridicule his character as someone coward. He is not. He is just a guy filled with ego but he still puts others' needs instead of his. 

However, I am glad that majority of TK shippers are nice people too. That's why I keep repeating my point about respect... It was meant for everyone (not exclusively directed to TK shippers). 

*hugs* 

I dont think the ending was rushed. If you see LMY and KJH as ds tk couple in 2015-2016. They make their appareance because we can assume DS and TK is happy with their marriage, they made few interviews in future, how ds and tk still want to go back in 1988, how they enjoy living in Ssangmudong, missing their parent, friends.

So i dont think they need like "wedding scene", after wedding scene, fight each other when the fact they already married here.

Also the concept of final ending was about dating life, they give us how DS POV about when their start dating, and confirm they like each other. (For you: who always thought the ending rushed)

The concept about the ending most like, how ds and tk enjoy being couple. But far from future, they talk alot about how they miss living in ssangmudong back to 1988, this drama not only about romance element, but the love from their family.

You can assume the ending rush if they using the same concept like reply 1997 and 1994. But they didnt do the same things in reply 1988. Please watch THE INTERVIEWS FROM FUTURE 2015/2016, that their concepts for reply 1988.

@fnkrm if the knetz angry about the ending and the husband. I dont think so, i read on MT or shipper paradise (tkds), knetz is 50:50 about the husband. If they are disagree about the ending (knetz) why the rating still increase? I even read, Knetz neutral about the husband. But if you read from soompi thread or web from internasional fans. That the different case. First of all, the writer always give the same popularity about actor and actress on reply series. But after all, One from 2 husband hunting, will lost. 

I want to add, MT is neutral for both of jh or tk shipper. You can post anything here, about how you adore the drama, but you can also skip the things that you doesnt like. 

If we only share about their news here after the ending, why we dont go to the actor or actress thread. Isnt that kind of post not related to drama? 

No offense, that my opinions.

Whoops, hope everyone's teensy bit of rage and unwanted feelings will be flushed out soon by this special surprise!
Let's all go back to Ssangmundong Alley and hear the stories of the families that lived in it and may bring back the nostalgic, heartwarming, and unforgettable feelings this drama has given us!

This is the first (hehehehehe) collab of Eyes on RYU and Blue Bees subtitles a.k.a. @blue_angel_1004 and @castingbees !
Special shoutout to @ihate0ni0ns for encoding and uploading <3 We bothered you so much already huhu T_T

[ENG SUB] 160102 Reply 1988 ‘Behind’ special
to watch, go to: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ogbip

Video Source: Official TvN
Subbed by Eyes On RYU | eyesonryu.tumblr.com and Blue Bees subtitles (Soompi)
Please do not re-upload, cut, or translate to other language without permission!
Please do share with proper credits!
Thank you ^^

Pv40uln.jpg

4NZCf6S.jpg

Sp5aYap.jpgYDh5qtA.jpg

11 minutes ago, EMM! said:

This is the first (hehehehehe) collab of Eyes on RYU and Blue Bees subtitles a.k.a. @blue_angel_1004 and @castingbees !
Special shoutout to @ihate0ni0ns for encoding and uploading <3 We bothered you so much already huhu T_T

[ENG SUB] 160102 Reply 1988 ‘Behind’ special
to watch, go to: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ogbip

Video Source: Official TvN
Subbed by Eyes On RYU | eyesonryu.tumblr.com and Blue Bees subtitles (Soompi)
Please do not re-upload, cut, or translate to other language without permission!
Please do share with proper credits!
Thank you ^^

Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing and many blessings to the subbers for such high quality subs :heart: I really, really hope we'll get a directors cut DVD with even more behind-the-scenes extras. I can't get enough of those

This is nothing new for the Reply team but I have to say it again: Whoever is responsible for casting the actors and actresses in the Reply dramas is a genius. There are so many similarities between actors/actresses and their roles, it's crazy how well they fit them. I wonder how long it takes to assemble a perfect cast like this, I'd love to see the process of that haha

1 hour ago, bebe1989 said:

I dont think the ending was rushed. If you see LMY and KJH as ds tk couple in 2015-2016. They make their appareance because we can assume DS and TK is happy with their marriage, they made few interviews in future, how ds and tk still want to go back in 1988, how they enjoy living in Ssangmudong, missing their parent, friends.

So i dont think they need like "wedding scene", after wedding scene, fight each other when the fact they already married here.

Also the concept of final ending was about dating life, they give us how DS POV about when their start dating, and confirm they like each other. (For you: who always thought the ending rushed)

The concept about the ending most like, how ds and tk enjoy being couple. But far from future, they talk alot about how they miss living in ssangmudong back to 1988, this drama not only about romance element, but the love from their family.

You can assume the ending rush if they using the same concept like reply 1997 and 1994. But they didnt do the same things in reply 1988. Please watch THE INTERVIEWS FROM FUTURE 2015/2016, that their concepts for reply 1988.

Good for you if you think the ending is not rushed. However, I still find the romance bits of TKxDS is not satisfying. I wanted more. Prolly because the previous instalments, they showcase a lot of really good kisses. 

41 minutes ago, bebe1989 said:

@fnkrm if the knetz angry about the ending and the husband. I dont think so, i read on MT or shipper paradise (tkds), knetz is 50:50 about the husband. If they are disagree about the ending (knetz) why the rating still increase? I even read, Knetz neutral about the husband. But if you read from soompi thread or web from internasional fans. That the different case. First of all, the writer always give the same popularity about actor and actress on reply series. But after all, One from 2 husband hunting, will lost. 

I want to add, MT is neutral for both of jh or tk shipper. You can post anything here, about how you adore the drama, but you can also skip the things that you doesnt like. 

If we only share about their news here after the ending, why we dont go to the actor or actress thread. Isnt that kind of post not related to drama? 

No offense, that my opinions.

Firstly... I don't understand why are you directing the hate on me. I am just stating the facts from what I see online. Those EoNamRyu/EoDaeRyu trend aren't there for nothing. And I said... they are upset about the ending... not because of the husband. Which part of my sentence states that Knetz are angry about the hubby being Taek? 

Secondly... I mentioned this again and again.. Respect. If you want me or any other JH shippers to respect you, respect my views also. You claim this is a neutral ground but from your replies to me, I don't think so. 

I came in here with good intentions to make peace for both shippers. I am so disappointed with your response. Sigh.

@fnkrm im not stated for hate, i just telling you about the neutral knetz 50:50. So if you only read "the angry one" from left side, its not all true. I dont know know how you read my post. I just explain without putting hate. If i wanted to putting hate on my reply to you, im will put some bad words,curse,etc. The different is  i put"explain" for your post.

plus: MT is neutral for tk or jh shipper. Some new viewers will open this thread and read something interesting here. if we post our analysis, isnt ppl will more interesting to come here? Not everyone will joint shipper paradise. Because some new viewers will see as neutral viewers. So they deserve to read interesting post. What if the analysis help them to understand the drama?

i came from neutral to tk shipper. 

And first of all, not everyone good with their english language,how to write nice things with limited english language for someones understand what they stated. so if you point out my post for hate. Its your problem. 

6 hours ago, fnkrm said:

I think it is fine if you are going to share your wonderful theories about who is going to end up with who.

I do agree, it is very interesting to listen to the whole spread of perceptions and everything. I think I've made myself very clear about respecting each others' opinions. Just because someone else don't share the same view as you, that doesn't give you the right to degrade someone else. I don't think it is very nice to call other people names for something that they don't agree on or simply view things the other way. 

I hope you're not kidding here.They are the main character of this show,along the other OTP3 and the senior lot.I don't get why we have to post the theories/facts/findings to the shipper thread.Are they one of the minority who do not deserve to have importance on this thread? Are they the supporting characters here? I mean this is not the oscar award ceremony that we're trying to steal some one else's moment of thunder lol.

Anyway,what I wanted to talk about is that love is a very fickling thing.And it's just a sweet candy word which can be sugarcoated in many ways,while you can have hot and cold moments watching some steamy kissing scenes and all,I think the writer's intention from the start has been to focus on subtle moments,scenes which won't be discovered until you take double and triple looks at it.Often we get 'advice/aesop's fable way where the writer is giving us helplines *for example "on how to behave with parents"..like that scene when Deok Sun's dad is telling to his wife on episode 3:

"I'm sure Taek's mother
is so happy up in Heaven.

What a filial son he is.

Oh, please. It's over once you're dead.

What good are filial deeds
after your parent dies?

You have to treat your parents well while they're around."

Another time from episode 4: JH's father is brooding because his children do not associate with him at any way,or does not show any reactions to his warm acts of appreciation for them..like when he brought ice cream over neither JB or JH even bothers to take a look,and the ice cream melts sooner,left untouched.Then we see JH takes seat on the sofa,when his father left the place,over the tv there is this advertisement going on:

"A family that does not communicate...

Father?[JH when his father leaves the scenario]

Have some kimchi...
They wish for a warm conversation

Have some interest in your children.[Here the camera again focused on blurred JH in the foreground,at the background there's the announcement on tv]
Public Service Announcement."

Interestingly the "interest" mentioned here is not the children aka JH/JB,rather here the writer is taking a dig at the children who are not taking care of their children like parents'

This is just one picture.I'm sure there are lot more.Why I mentioned this here is because a lot of time we get scenes which are visually giving us 'explanation' of why their relationships are important,or is at the core of the story.Like this one from episode 19:

gx8XIWy.png

Scuwmn9.png

Right next to the above scene,we get the parallel scene from the sung parents..See?

eGtHeHd.png

Q9vLyfD.png1lf9eXg.png

The juxtaposition of these two pictures are there,because this is what matters.The small act of warmth,kindness,and care.Like the way Sung mom has been taking care of Sung dad,the same way Deok Sun cares for and scold Taek,these two pairs are on the same level in regards of long term relationships.After being married for decades what won't matter is the chemistry,or how good the pair looks together,or how boring their conversation might become like shopping for toiletries/vegetable/groceries/or money lending/fighting over insufficient funds..So the writer never stops showing us how much raw the real relationships are,or the real picture when sung dad is blissfully craving after the meat on his plate,never caring to offer his share to sung mom.In course of time,DS-TK's relationship has the possibility to match that picture of DS parents,and I think the writer did not waver from giving us that picture.So,guys before complaining why there are so few scenes of hugs and kisses appreciate the story for what it is.You are going to love it for sure.

Archived