[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I think Taek could have also seen the whole scene since he was outside, He called from a pay phone remember. So it could also be him...

@Love1403 No thank you for posting those, I love them! I was just discussing that particular photo. I do agree that there are clues and I like looking into them, It helps with the waiting for the new episodes ;) ha ha... I think this one works particularly well for the whole SW/BR/DS triangle but I don't really see the DS/TK/JH triangle... I love the dolls though!!! Awesome and spot on!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the question asking about DC Gallery, it's a popular Korean forum, somewhat like Soompi.  

However,  it has a reputation among Koreans for being a sort of an "otaku" hangout. Whereas the comments left on Korean news articles and portals, like those translated by Netizenbuzz, may be by casual drama fans or watchers, the posts on DC gallery thread are more likely to be by serious drama addicts. Of course there are often trolls who post there, but from my past experience, I find that if the majority of the regulars on DC gallery predict or accept a theory to be true, there's definitely something there. For example, even during the AM1994 days, they were the ones who first came up with the theory that the stuffed animals represented the three characters in the love triangle and that the red and blue colors often appeared in the scenes where Trash and NJ  were in (red and blue are traditional Korean wedding colors).

Anyway, back to AM1988. I first read about the color theory there as well. Although there were some dissent, but the majority of posters there all believed that SW likes Bora, Taek is part of the love triangle (and not SW), and JH is the husband, even as early as Episode 1.

Besides these theories, here are some other ones that keep being mentioned there.

1. SW is the only character whose surname is unknown. One theory is that SW's family name is "Sung" as well, like DS and Bora's family. In Korea, up until 1997, it was illegal for two people with the same family name coming from the same clan to marry each other. For example, there are many "Kims" among Koreans. But there are also different clans from within that family name, including Gimhae Kim, Gyeongju Kim, Andong Kim, etc. And it was illegal for two people of the same clan to marry each other. In the example I gave, Gimhae Kim person could marry a Gyeongju Kim person, but not another Gimhae Kim person.

The law was a remnant of an old Korean tradition, and there were some protests to amend the law. To appease these people, for one entire year in 1978, the government granted exception for people with the same surname to legally marry each other. Another exception was granted for the entire year of 1988, 1995, and 1996. Finally, in 1997, the law was amended, granting Korean citizens with the same surname to marry each other. Up until 1997, if you missed those exception years, the couple was out of luck and could not legally marry.

Since the Answer Me series like touching upon actual events of Korea, DC gallers hypothesized that they will address this issue/event through SW and Bora's marriage.

2. DS's family will have to move from JH's house and possibly into Taek's house. This is an old theory that first appeared around Episode 3.

In an earlier episode, during a dinner scene with the Sung family, Sung Dong Il yells at Noeul not to push the table. Noeul insists that he didn't. In another scene, we see Neoul sleeping and he had slid to one side of the room. Sung Dong Il sees his sleeping son and makes a comment about it.

DC gallers say that this is not a coincidence and foreshadows that there is something wrong with the foundation /floor of DS's basement house, and that they will have to move out while it gets fixed.

This theory is also supported by the color theory. In the official website (http://program.interest.me/tvn/reply1988), the colors are as shown: Taek's house with red roof and yellow ledger; DR's house with blue roof; SW's house with gray roof; and JH's house with green roof. Although there's still some confusion as to whether red represents Taek or SW if the color theory is even correct, but the color green has been consistently JH and yellow as DS. So Taek's house having yellow ledger may symbolize DS's family moving from the biggest house on the block to the other biggest house on the block, Taek's.

Just wondering  what will be the future career of everyone. I am sure DS will go to college if she is going to invest time on her study as much as she had invested her time when practising to be a picket girl during the olympics. Unless she continue to just sleep in the study hall.:D

I am also wondering  why DS is doing an interview for the present time.

To answer the question asking about DC Gallery, it's a popular Korean forum, somewhat like Soompi.  

However,  it has a reputation among Koreans for being a sort of an "otaku" hangout. Whereas the comments left on Korean news articles and portals, like those translated by Netizenbuzz, may be by casual drama fans or watchers, the posts on DC gallery thread are more likely to be by serious drama addicts. Of course there are often trolls who post there, but from my past experience, I find that if the majority of the regulars on DC gallery predict or accept a theory to be true, there's definitely something there. For example, even during the AM1994 days, they were the ones who first came up with the theory that the stuffed animals represented the three characters in the love triangle and that the red and blue colors often appeared in the scenes where Trash and NJ  were in (red and blue are traditional Korean wedding colors).

Anyway, back to AM1988. I first read about the color theory there as well. Although there were some dissent, but the majority of posters there all believed that SW likes Bora, Taek is part of the love triangle (and not SW), and JH is the husband, even as early as Episode 1.

Besides these theories, here are some other ones that keep being mentioned there.

1. SW is the only character whose surname is unknown. One theory is that SW's family name is "Sung" as well, like DS and Bora's family. In Korea, up until 1997, it was illegal for two people with the same family name coming from the same clan to marry each other. For example, there are many "Kims" among Koreans. But there are also different clans from within that family name, including Gimhae Kim, Gyeongju Kim, Andong Kim, etc. And it was illegal for two people of the same clan to marry each other. In the example I gave, Gimhae Kim person could marry a Gyeongju Kim person, but not another Gimhae Kim person.

The law was a remnant of an old Korean tradition, and there were some protests to amend the law. To appease these people, for one entire year in 1978, the government granted exception for people with the same surname to legally marry each other. Another exception was granted for the entire year of 1988, 1995, and 1996. Finally, in 1997, the law was amended, granting Korean citizens with the same surname to marry each other. Up until 1997, if you missed those exception years, the couple was out of luck and could not legally marry.

Since the Answer Me series like touching upon actual events of Korea, DC gallers hypothesized that they will address this issue/event through SW and Bora's marriage.

2. DS's family will have to move from JH's house and possibly into Taek's house. This is an old theory that first appeared around Episode 3.

In an earlier episode, during a dinner scene with the Sung family, Sung Dong Il yells at Noeul not to push the table. Noeul insists that he didn't. In another scene, we see Neoul sleeping and he had slid to one side of the room. Sung Dong Il sees his sleeping son and makes a comment about it.

DC gallers say that this is not a coincidence and foreshadows that there is something wrong with the foundation /floor of DS's basement house, and that they will have to move out while it gets fixed.

This theory is also supported by the color theory. In the official website (http://program.interest.me/tvn/reply1988), the colors are as shown: Taek's house with red roof and yellow ledger; DR's house with blue roof; SW's house with gray roof; and JH's house with green roof. Although there's still some confusion as to whether red represents Taek or SW if the color theory is even correct, but the color green has been consistently JH and yellow as DS. So Taek's house having yellow ledger may symbolize DS's family fromving from the biggest house in the block to the other biggest house in the block, Taek's.

OMG really thank you so much for translating the other theories from DC!!! :w00t: I have been dying to know those other theories there, but couldn´t read up on and understand them all with my limited Korean. It feels like being left out in the dark when I can´t read those theories cause they often already figure out the plots episodes ago!

I´m really getting goosebumps just reading about the other theories you just mentioned, which I didn´t even notice or pay attention to before. But it´s funny to go back and see it in details. And maybe it´s just me, but I enjoy mystery and figuring out things (fav k-variety show is Crime Scene lol) so I think it´s fun to play along the guessing game as producers actually lay out clues. And I also find it fun to discuss the clues along the way and theories.

Please continue share with us the theories at DC if you find something interesting or are well accepted there ^_^

OMG really thank you so much for translating the other theories from DC!!! :w00t: I have been dying to know those other theories there, but couldn´t read up on and understand them all with my limited Korean. It feels like being left out in the dark when I can´t read those theories cause they often already figure out the plots episodes ago!

I´m really getting goosebumps just reading about the other theories you just mentioned, which I didn´t even notice or pay attention to before. But it´s funny to go back and see it in details. And maybe it´s just me, but I enjoy mystery and figuring out things (fav k-variety show is Crime Scene lol) so I think it´s fun to play along the guessing game as producers actually lay out clues. And I also find it fun to discuss the clues along the way and theories.

Please continue share with us the theories at DC if you find something interesting or are well accepted there ^_^

OMG, I LOVE Crime Scene too! (As well as the show The Genius.) They're my favorite variety shows, along with The Return of Superman. Perhaps this is why I love Shin Won Ho PD so much because like you, I truly believe that he (and writer Lee) are so meticulous that they don't do anything just randomly.

This theory is also supported by the color theory. In the official website (http://program.interest.me/tvn/reply1988), the colors are as shown: Taek's house with red roof and yellow ledger; DR's house with blue roof; SW's house with gray roof; and JH's house with green roof. Although there's still some confusion as to whether red represents Taek or SW if the color theory is even correct, but the color green has been consistently JH and yellow as DS. So Taek's house having yellow ledger may symbolize DS's family fromving from the biggest house in the block to the other biggest house in the block, Taek's.

OMG, I LOVE Crime Scene too! Just had to mention that. Perhaps this is why I love Shin Won Ho PD so much because like you, I truly believe that he (and writer Lee) are so meticulous that they don't do anything just randomly.

Yeah Crime Scene is seriously awesome, and The Genius! And here I´m still waiting for CS season 3 (with the same cast as season 2 please!)... But I guess it´s a habit from watching too much Crime Scene that I start paying attention to the time, dates, and if someone´s left or right-handed etc, and I think myself as crazy for paying too much attention to the background details. But I can´t even spot 1/10 of what the other observed at DC. Their detective skills are no joke....:sweatingbullets: 

But I like that the PD and writers are taking in thought that the viewers are smart enough to notice their clues, and the production team are actually throwing out some interesting things like the historical background, props, dates or let´s say color clues and let the viewers play detective along the way and do their own research.

-
Also to add on about DC Gallery:
It´s an anonymous community, so many times there´s even staffs or others involved in production company that leaks spoilers on DC. It´s kind of proved true, cause The Genius season 4 was spoiled a lot through DC, and people even checked on the IP address of the poster and traced it back to a staff from the show.

Guest nchoerunnisa

Maaan... I want to live in this neighborhood. When you're sad the whole block will be sad with you, when you're happy the whole block will be happy for you too. It's so moving that everyone keep asking about Taek as if they're as much as worried as his Dad.

And It's soooo cute when our gang waiting for Taek to call (dude, you can stop staring at the phone, it's still gonna ring anyway). But as soon as they met him they treat him as if he had not just won some prestigious championship. I know guys... It's your childhood friend that you eagerly wanted to meet, not the great genius baduk player Taek. Awwwwwwwwwwww! Or pizza... I wasn't sure actually. LOL.

I don't know why but I was smiling without me even realized it when I see Taek's smiling when he hugged DS. I felt some kind of relieve sensation, like, aaah finally I can see he smiles brightly. I must have been really worried about him all this time.

Excuse me while I need to slap myself. (Slap! slap! slap! Get hold of yourself @nurul_choerunnisa!!! Don't fall into another second lead syndrome.)

Ok I'm back.

So my worst nightmare has turned into reality. We got not only one set of love triangle here, but two set of love triangle. Woaa Sung Dong Il appa and Lee Il Hwa omma sure are know how to raise their daughters well. Sung Si Won, Sung Na Jeong, Sung Bo Ra and Sung Deok Sun are such a heartbreaker. They probably have so much things to be worried about but getting husband was not one of them. Smart or not, they always got nothing but the best when it came to husband.

I've ever said that I HATE the idea of triangle love line since I always feel bad for the second lead. And I hate the idea that Taek will be part of this possible triangle love line even more. He barely has any friend and yet they're gonna make him fighting with his friend over a girl.

But I've read all of your amazing detective works here guys. And I found that the color theory is pretty make sense. So I've prepared myself, emotionally, for this possible twist. I love Taek but I've already head over heels for JH. I'm still gonna feel bad for Taek if he did not get the girl, but my joy seeing my JH and DS together will overcome the pain.

And beside, we still have another girl in the block guys, JJ. Probably, Taek will end up with her. So please grow up well JJ. Hahahaha.

Color & doll theory (updated)

So I´m gonna update on the previous color theory from DC, cause we got new info on the colors.

• Yellow = Deoksun
  • Green = JungHwan
  • Red = SunWoo
  • Blue = Taek
  • Purple = Bora
  • Pink = DongRyong

Then in EP5 at Bora´s room I saw this after I rewatched. I know it´s difficult to see the colors, but I will explain:

The dolls are Blue (Taek), Green (Junghwan) & Yellow (Deoksun

After Deoksun found out Sunwoo wanted to confess to Bora, this showed in the background:

From left to right: Purple alone (Bora)
then -->   Purple (Bora)-Red (Sunwoo)-Yellow (Deoksun)
then -->  Green (Junghwan)-Yellow (Deoksun
then -->  Red (Sunwoo)-Blue (Taek)-Green (Junghwan)-Yellow (Deoksun)

To add into my "contrary-ness" from earlier - I actually meant to include the one picture that was going around earlier as it (and this above) has been playing around in the back of my head.

First, here's the picture:

CUSuSvuUsAANxzc.jpg

If they're setting up a triangle between DS and who she'll chose from JH and Taek, then it's a bit odd to me the order of which things are being shown. . .and by that, I mean:

1) If the colors above are true. . why are they always showing Blue (Taek), Green (Junghwan) and Yellow (Deoksun) [in Bora's bedroom],

2) and then Blue (Taek), Green (Junghwan), and Yellow (Deoksun) in the clothespins in the background. .

3) and then in the picture it's Taek, Junghwan and Dekosun. . .

Junghwan is always in the middle. . . if it's a "traditional triangle" shouldn't Dekosun be in the middle and not Junghwan?

2n8bnuf.jpg 
I hope Dramafever will translate Deoksun´s study plan when they sub the episode, cause I see a theory relating it to the future plot development of our drama. One of them is that Deoksun will go study abroad in Australia after she gets into college, there was also a hint of an Australia map in her room. And the theory follows that she and her husband (Junghwan) will reunite years later and then forward to their marriage life in 2015. And they´re in the present (2015) reviewing the past they went through. DC source

The Australian map in Deoksun´s room that I mentioned previously:
2lc925e.png

Guest nchoerunnisa
DR: I confessed to somebody yesterday but got rejected. How pitifull I am.

DS: I live in a basement.

DR: JH lived in one too just 3 years ago. (JH shrugs)

DS: I have BR as a big sister.

DR: JH has JB as a brother. 

DS admits defeat.

JH: Why? I like my brother.

DS: Then the pizza's mine, right?

DR: SW, don't you have any sad story? Don't talk about your father. And Taek, don't talk about your mother. That's cheating.

SW:... I have a person I like but couldn't confess to for 2 years.

JH's annoyed now lol.

DR: What the...Why you so serious. Just eat the peace then. 

SW: But I meant it

DS: Confess then! On the first day snow comes. (Expecting it to be herself)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. You're such a cutie pie JH.

I hope Dramafever will translate Deoksun´s study plan when they sub the episode, cause I see a theory relating it to the future plot development of our drama. One of them is that Deoksun will go study abroad in Australia after she gets into college, there was also a hint of an Australia map in her room. And the theory follows that she and her husband (Junghwan) will reunite years later and then forward to their marriage life in 2015. And they´re in the present (2015) reviewing the past they went through. DC source

Nooooo i don't want there to be huge time jumps before they get together :tears:

This is interesting. The theory is that DS's study plan is actually Shin PD's drama synopsis of what's to come.

In quotations is what Deoksun wrote, and then DC galler's analysis of what it means.

DS's study plan.

1. "Math (trigonometry theorem)" - DC gallers interpret this is the love triangle that starts in Episode 6.

2. "English (relative adverb, relative pronoun)" - The word "relative" is the same word as "relationship" in Korean, the Korean word being 관계. Examples of relative adverbs are "where" and "when." Examples of relative pronouns are "who," "whom," "whoever."

3. "Mastering world history, this is a must!!" - DC gallers interpret that DS or Bora goes abroad. Based on the map of Australia in their room, the guess is Australia.

4. "Physics (Electric current and magnetic field)" - DC gallers interpret that though abroad and apart, those who are meant to be will be brought back together. "Electric current" symbolizes the attraction.

5. "More English (infinitive verb)" - Infinitive verb form is where the word "to" is in front of the verb. (http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/verbs/infinitive-verb.html). Example: "to become," "to marry" etc. And it symbolizes the new role that the OTP takes on from being friends.

6. "Go back home and review" - DC gallers interpret this to be the present (2015 scenes) as the characters are looking back and talking about the past.

Good morning from the part of my world.. Hehehe 

I think I could understand about the doll thingy but clothespin! CLOTHESPIN. Is just wow!! I was really in shocked of what the production put into detail and the viewers who noticed this. You are all really detectives! Kkkkkkkkk 

I read some posts similar to my thought, that's what I want to emphasise, might it's not DS for Taek, might the writer wants to troll me again. Might he is asking her out for other reason, which we don't know yet until Christmas. Now I'm expecting onscreen Christmas more than real Christmas. Oh my life! 

And about the phonecall, taek is calling from outside his training center, not from around the block. The camera captured payphone when he's just came out from the building. So unless taek heard the Confession incident from someone else, the husband can't be him. I mean still there is the possibility that he heard it from JH or DR who heard it from JH or from SW himself. 

OMG a week is just so far away from  me. I found my heart so restless with taek's steps up as contender more than sunwoo. It's odd because his screen time never significant enough, but I don't know taek worries me more hahahaha.

Never I imagined Sunwoo will be eliminated this fast, 6 episodes, I thought he'd stay until last epi bec he's the one DS declares her first love is. Well, Reply series always unexpected anyway. 

Thank you @lelee for your hard work to translating for us.. I also curious what the couple on 2015 bickering about, bec I can't catch what are they talking, I heard something about "went to college event," and "they were all watching tv show on 1988" but I can't understand the full sentences before adult DS starts dancing. Ahahahaha... 

EDIT : I'm also Crime Scene and Tge Genius fans ~~~^^ 

Interesting, so that means it's going to take quite a period of time for JH and DS to get together anyways LOL.

I think maybe the reason why yellow was never between blue and red is because blue doesn't feel that strongly about yellow yet? even on yesterday's episode the blue doll wasn't completely turning towards yellow but green was. Either way I just want them to wrap up the triangle quickly and give Taek a new love interest lol. We all know JH is gonna be the husband.

Archived