[Movie 2015] Gyeongseong School: The Lost Girls / The Silenced 경성학교: 사라진 소녀들

StaRix

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Park Bo-young talks about upcoming mystery film 'The Silenced'

Korean actress Park Bo-young talked about her upcoming mystery drama film “The Silenced” with a fashion magazine in Korea.

Park plays a student in an isolated girls’ boarding school, where its students begin to show strange symptoms and disappear one by one. Park’s character Ju-ran’s worries are dismissed by the boarding school teachers, but she too begins to show some of the strange symptoms.

“The role was challenging for me,” said Park. “Ju-ran’s not the kind of character to settle with (given facts). She’s very introverted but also increasingly curious and eventually uncovers a secret.”

Park said that timing her character transitions in her relationships with friends and the school principal, as she unearths more of the mystery, was challenging.

“I also had to express small changes through her voice and small habits. I had to rely a lot on my imagination,” said Park.

Park’s character is based on the main character of the 1976 cult thriller “Carrie,” also set in a school setting.

Park is known for her previous lead roles in the blockbuster films “Speed Scandal” (2008) and particularly “A Werewolf Boy” (2012).

She said that up until the release of the hit 2012 fantasy romance “A Werewolf Boy” she suffered from nightmares of being attacked by an assailant, caused in part by career pressures.

“I was too scared to sleep. I even had to go to the hospital for treatment,” said Park. “The doctor said very frankly, ‘Since it’s just a dream, you should just get caught and die.’ I wondered what kind of advice that was, but when I made my mind up, I somehow never had those dreams again.”

Park also said that adjusting to her acting career has also helped her find a better work-life balance.

“Actors do their job in front of the camera. When (filming) ends, I just return to my life,” said the 25-year-old actress.

Park also took part in a photoshoot, inspired by the 1930s boarding school uniform she wears in the film.

The mystery film “The Silenced” hits theaters on June 18.

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201506051456184697007_2

Uhm Ji-won transforms into 1930s siren for 'The Silenced'

Korean actress Uhm Ji-won transforms into a glamorous 1930s icon in the upcoming mystery drama film “The Silenced” later this month.

The film is set in 1938 at an isolated girls’ boarding school. Uhm plays the charming and imposing headmistress at the school, where students ominously start to disappear one by one.

In a pronounced contrast to her austerely-dressed students, who wear matching uniform, Gyeongseong School’s headmistress always makes sure she looks perfect in lush, fashionable dresses.

There’s an ultramarine suit with squared-off shoulders and two rows of buttons trailing down the front.

Then there’s a shell pink dress, also with a buttoned corset, and a high-collar ruffled blouse.

There’s a two-piece taupe outfit with a Mandarin collar and also a V-neck cinnamon brown dress.

This headmistress likes to look perfectly coiffed and wears an immaculately-applied red lipstick. In spite of her air of luxury, the wooden cane balanced in both hands is a clear reminder of her disciplinarian views.

“The Silenced” is keenly anticipated by fashion watchers as well as mystery thriller fans. It is set to be released in Korea on June 18.

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201506051728255947062_2

[Interview] Park Bo-yeong goes back to teen years

photo603174.jpeg

Actress Park Bo-yeong is playing a student - again - in thriller film "The Silenced" after earning widespread popularity from the 2008 movie "Speedy Scandal".

But instead of taking on a troublesome teen who gets pregnant, she is a fragile student placed at an all-girl's boarding school in a resort area during the Japanese colonial rule of Korea in 1938. 

In a recent interview with the Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, the 25-year-old actress with 10 years' experience says she doesn't mind playing a student in movies if that's what she can do best. 

Q. Why did you choose to do this movie?
A. The fact that the movie set out to depict what happened in the 1930s seemed very special. Also, the lead character, Ju-rin, seemed to have a large spectrum of emotions, so as an actress I really wanted to play her. It was interesting that the character was passive in the beginning due to her weak constitution but became more active toward the end.

Q. Did you like the uniforms and accessories you wore in the movie?
A. The director really deliberated on the uniform. Much time was invested in choosing the shape of the ribbon, the color, material and shoes.

Q. What was it like to do action scenes using a wire?
A. There were so many things I needed to prepare. First of all, the most difficult thing was to have the right posture. It was more about making it look real rather than making it look cool.
There was a scene where I had to grab a neck of a Japanese soldier and pick him up. I had to think hard and practice where I needed to put extra pressure on my fingers to make it look like I was really picking him up. I also did an underwater scene for the first time, and I didn't know it was that much harder to keep your eyes open in the water.

Q. What was it like to shoot with many that are less experienced, rather than senior actors?
A. I'm in no place to give out advice, but since there were many who didn't have any on-set filming experience, I was able to share some of the technical things that I learned before. They were watching me act and that really made me feel like I was acting live for the audience. It also made me feel that I needed to do better.

Q. Don't you want to play other characters rather than young girls?
A. I felt that way before, but not anymore. I was asked that particular question so many times that I automatically started to debate whether I needed to get out of this young girl image sooner.
But after putting some more time into thinking about it, such a worry doesn't make me act better at all. I think if I focus on the roles I can do well right now, I should be able to make the transition naturally and do adult roles smoothly.

BY KO SEOK-HEE [lee.sunmin@joongang.co.kr]
Source: koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3005401
hancinema.net/interview-park-bo-yeong-goes-back-to-teen-years-83245.html

Archived