Rejected by an oppa.... But I want to keep trying! What should I do?

Guest j3nnnny

Its interesting seeing a lot of the "Non-native Koreans using Korean is weird" comments. 
When I was in Korea, I was expected and encouraged to use Korean terms (including Unni, Immo, Halmoni, Oppa, Yobo, Nampyeon, ect.). And its used with family and my Husband. And despite not being Korean, I was also referred to as Unni / Noona quite regularly. 
I would think it odd to use it out of context, such as toward a random person who isn't Korean or who you don't know if they even speak Korean or use such terms. But I would assume that if she goes to a Korean church, which is what it sounds like, and its anything like the Korean churches in the USA that I've been to with family where Korean members will often speak to me in Korean, despite not knowing if I speak any Korean or not, I doubt its all that unusual to use the term Oppa/Hyung/Unni/Noona with one's peers. 

(I will say though, that considering using foreign words to be "weird" is rather silly. How often do you hear Koreans using "Honey", "Baby", "Darling", "Oh my god!", "What the ..." ect. I heard it a LOT in Korea. I also heard Hola and random Spanish words now and then from teens. )

As for the topic. I would just continue to smile, be sociable and friendly.
Its normal to be upset, but its good manners and a show of grace and maturity not to flaunt your emotions by showing you're upset. Enjoy your time at church and a new friend. The more you dwell on it, the more unhappy it will make you. So just enjoy the good and leave it be.  

Guest j3nnnny

Thank you! I'll try to be friendly towards him despite how I feel, cause I'm sure my feelings of embarrassment will fade in time lol;;; maybe we can all laugh about it someday! ^o^
x_intotheblue_x said: As for the topic. I would just continue to smile, be sociable and friendly.
Its normal to be upset, but its good manners and a show of grace and maturity not to flaunt your emotions by showing you're upset. Enjoy your time at church and a new friend. The more you dwell on it, the more unhappy it will make you. So just enjoy the good and leave it be.  

Archived