[Drama 2014] Repentance / A New Leaf 改过迁善 개과천선

Guest yeohweping

bebebisous33 said: In this episode, we could finally see Cha's real true nature... his law firm was involved in the embezzlement and in other scandals through his clients, he is trying to gain power and wealth! As soon it was clear that the chairman's company would be touched by the scandal, he adviced the chairman to change the law firm! He even asked KSJ to stay out of it, knowing his fiance was concerned. Besides, the laptop and his call to KSJ were also signs that he has something to hide! Will JW want to come to such a law firm where prosecutors came in and searched for evidence?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blossomnagr

Finished watching subbed ep10. It was okay ep for me. I expected much more development in this ep. The part I liked the most was JY's crying scene. Well done!

Guest ChoBap

Park Seul Gi updated a picture with Seok Joo om her twitter :) someone upload? I'm on my phone right now

Guest blossomnagr

stuartjmz said: blossomnagr said: Finished watching subbed ep10. It was okay ep for me. I expected much more development in this ep. The part I liked the most was JY's crying scene. Well done!

Guest blossomnagr

Also, I think there were a lot of car scenes where KSJ sees JS off to home or KSJ in car in general, I mean were there 5 or 6? I would leave only one of it. The scene of KSJ&JS near the river or lake(not sure what was it), I would delete it at all and put the conversation about the ring into the scene where they were buying a wedding dress. And there were some more that I would cut. I am telling it not as a writer or producer, just as a viewer

Guest blossomnagr

명민본좌♥ 김석주 변호사에 푸욱 빠져 요즘 끙끙 앓고 있는데 이렇게 또 만날 기회가 생겼네요! 맞아요. 예상대로 전 이지윤 인턴이에요. 박민영씨 역할 있죠? 넘 떨리고 긴장해서 개기름 좔좔. 특급물광이에요^^ BpfO1_vCEAEjr9R.jpg:large

Guest blossomnagr

BTOB Min Hyuk updated his twitter account as well. I am not sure whether his tweet is related to A New Leaf "안녕하세요~ 하모에요~~ "BpbvkmXCUAAfrvu.jpg

‘A New Leaf” The Downsides Of Bad Ratings

'A New Leaf

Kim Myung Min is a person that is a protagonist with such great skills in his tight story that he take on great roles. The three beats that MBC Wednesday/Thursday drama “A New Leaf” has is great with its directing, acting, and storyling but the ratings are still only at 10%. Until now, it hasn”t gone further than that. Is that too much to ask for?

On the 10th episode of June 5th, Suk Joo (played by Kim Myung Min) turns from an evil attorney to a humanitarian attorney and there is a risky situation. His fiancée is the granddaughter of the Yoo Rim Group, Jung Sun (played by Chae Jung Ahn) and the Chief Producer of Yoo Rim Group was arrested and he is pressured by the prosecutor.

Yoo Rim is the greatest company in the country but they try too hard with the management and there was only a gloss without substance. However, the management gets stopped and the losses were so high that it was like a lantern in front of a wind. As this went on the CEO of the Yoo Rim Group Jae Yoon (played by Jung Han Yong said that, “If the loss is so great, there needs to be a political sacrifice. Without a prior offense, there will be no offense” and put all the blame on the granddaughter.

As there was a risky situation, Suk Joo tries to save the fiancée. Suk Joo”s law firm tries hard secretly to put obstacles in the middle to make sure that the financial situation doesn”t explode and the prosecutors who had been looking at Suk Joo look at the suspicious activity and even confiscate property.

Here, Suk Joo transforms into a humanitarian lawyer and makes a prediction to Jung Sun who is shaking at the possible judgement.

This raised the tension of “A New Leaf” with its tight storyline about the court scenes and reality that makes a guilty plea innocent. With the expertise it brings on the legal drama, it raises the amusement for viewers.

Meanwhile, “A New Leaf” is about an ace lawyer of a law firm losing his memory in an accident and looking back on his own life.

Source: www.kdramastars.com

Agree with @blossomnagr. A slower episode since I was expecting Jung Sun's case to be finished by this episode and Seok Joo to quit by the end of it. Ji Won is taking his sweet time entering CHA firm. His cameos are now with Young Woo instead of Ji Yoon.  #-o
I do see discussion on DC Gall regarding the number of episodes, as to whether there will be an extension. If it is still going to be 18, from the pace of the drama, seems like Seok Joo will quit the firm by the end of episode 12. One episode for Jung Sun's case and another for his own trouble with the Prosecutor plus complications from Young Woo's side. I am a bit worried about the pacing. Will there be enough time for the big showdown between Seok Joo and Young Woo? Hopefully, the writer has planned her plotlines in advance! Read on baidu that the script for episode 12 was out yesterday. So, seems like the writer is working at a faster pace now.
At this point, I don't know how the loveline is going to develop between Seok Joo and Ji Yoon. Seok Joo cares deeply for Jung Sun. He was bothered by how she wanted to postpone the wedding. You can even say that she is the first person for whom he has put aside his own personal interests. Even when he was being grilled by the Prosecutor, his worries were all for his fiancee.It could be that he has some guilt regarding her and believes that the reason she is not responding to his interest is because of how he treated her before. Anyway, Seok Joo is a completely different man when it comes to Jung Sun. He is so patient and devoted to her. The more she tries to pull away from him, the more he is drawn towards her. The foundation of their relationship could be a bit shaky and Seok Joo may not know all about it because of his amnesia. Granted Jung Sun hasn't really told him that it was a contractual arrangement than a real one based on emotions, but Seok Joo also hasn't really tried to find out the truth regarding the relationship. Now that Sang Tae knows he has amnesia, he can very well get more information regarding that from him. But then how much does Sang Tae know about their relationship? Hmmm....Does Seok Joo really care whether it was a contractual marriage in the beginning or not? If what matters to him more is his present than his past, will a recovery of his memories change his stance towards Jung Sun?
However, it must also be said that the foundation for Seok Joo's devotion towards Jung Sun is his belief that it was a relationship based on love. He didn't even spend much time with Jung Sun to decide whether she was the right one for him or not. It was enough for him that she was his fiancee and what followed for him regarding her was a natural progression of that relationship. So, how much of the devotion is based on role-playing and how much of it is real is open to debate. To Jung Sun's credit, it must be said that she did not try to bother Seok Joo regarding her own affairs as much as she could and it was her not seeking him out that pushed him more and more towards her.
I was really impressed by Chae Jung Ahn in this episode. That scene where Jung Sun lies on bed, resigning herself to her fate as her phone keeps ringing was touching. Jung Sun has now really fallen into a trap. Her grandfather seems to have a soft corner for her though his devotion seems to be something which needs to be bought with taking one for the family. Once it became clear to him that she was ready to sacrifice herself for the family and was even considering the marriage as one for the family's benefit, his estimate of her went up. Now that she has stepped into real trouble and her family, perhaps other than her grandfather, will most likely turn their backs on her, we will see a more desperate Jung Sun. Her ice-cold exterior will start cracking and hopefully, this will also make her realise why she has to take her fate into her own hands. Jung Sun has a voice and even when they were trying to make her the sacrificial lamb, she tried to resist it as much as she could. May be this will also make her more aware of the need to take control of the business she is nominally in charge of. I don't know where her arc is going, whether she will leave the chaebol family to be with her father or stay on as the Chaebol granddaughter. However, I get the feeling that she is capable of taking care of the group's interests if she has the backing of the grandfather. This should be a lesson to her to get out of being controlled by others and to find her own voice among them. Once she puts this trouble behind her, I also want her to use her grandpa's growing fondness for her to her advantage.
In this episode, Ji Yoon put aside her own concerns regarding her aunt's fortunes and her Dad's to help Seok Joo as much as she could. I read on baidu someone speculating if the furniture arrangement scene was one where Ji Yoon might have wanted to seek Seok Joo's opinion on her aunt's situation. She was hesitating a lot and it seemed like she wanted to say something to him. I am not sure about that. May be the hesitation was regarding how to express her sympathy for Seok Joo's situation. Anyway, at this point Seok Joo does not see Ji Yoon as anything more than his intern or those feelings are lying dormant. The Seok Joo who used to drop his intern home or wonder as to why she disliked him or wonder who was the young man she was so interested in is no longer there. Seok Joo also has changed. I wonder how the writer is going to build their loveline convincingly and there is not much time as well. One speculation many seem to be making is that Ji Yoon could be the one who would help Seok Joo out if the Prosecutor goes after him and he finds himself in a tight spot with his hands tied. I can see that happening since Seok Joo is so busy with Jung Sun's case that the attention he usually pays to his own case now seems to be a bit lacking. He also doesn't have any memories of his financial transactions in the past and also hasn't smelled as much danger as he should.
Young Woo is still helping Seok Joo out, but if he lands in real trouble and Young Woo doesn't need him any longer with the entry of the heir-apparent Ji Won, will he drop him like a hot potato? Then probably, Seok Joo will only have Ji Yoon and Sang Tae to watch his back. 
I really hope the writer quickens the pacing of the drama coz we have gone past the half-way mark. 
For those who still believe in the sinking? ship of Seok Joo-Ji Yoon couple. I am still on board, but with my lifejacket on! ;)

Guest blossomnagr

What sort of development? There was A LOT of development in this episode - we found out so much about YJS's back story and her relationship with KSJ shifted to a whole new level. Plus, of course, there was the uncovering of KSJ's own past crimes, setting the stage for how he's going to have confront and deal with them. Exactly what sort of development do you feel the episode was lacking? Yes, there was a lot of development in JS's past but only basic information that we already knew was given and no hidden motives. Even SJ says that official claim of her wish to break up is her family issue but he thinks that it is more than that. I was interested what was it???  Furthermore nothing was shown about his father condition, no his dog, except a very tiny scene, no development in YW&JW relationship. when will JW start working for Cha firm, hope not in ep 18? nothing much about JY's family, I mean how they are related to SJ, at least I expected that SJ will leave the firm by the end of ep, no, even this did not happen...

About SJ wondering her wish for break up for other reason, Sang Tae practicly gave him an answer to that.  She knew what the old SJ was, there were a condition,something to expect and he did say she are not sure if she can trust this new one if he cares enough to do anything.  She knew the old was a shark that would not save her from jail.    The end of ep 10 and their scenes before that might show her what to expect from SJ.   
The rest of the big storyline questions you asked can never narratively be answered in ep 10, its questions the series will tackle in the last 5-6 eps.  You cant expect a drama of 20 eps to tell you everything by ep 10.  Then there is nothing in the last few eps.
About SJ's fiancée, there should be something about her hesitation. she lost her interest in her marriage not only because he lost his memory, what is it, the writer did not give any hint yet and I hoped there would be something told in this ep regarding her grandfather involvence in SJ's car accident. About the rest, I didnot mean to tell the whole story but some small introduction to keep the show more interesting and intense. We finished ep 10 and he still in the firm and does not take any cases, come on I expected that he would live the firm by ep 5 or so. That is what I mean by slow pace. If SJ does not exit the firm, JW cannot start his work in Cha, when JY will leave the firm, no other signs of development were given

ANL is such an unusual k-drama that I felt the need to de-lurk just to declare my love for the leisurely but steady pace, the (mostly) believable plot and character development and - yes - the strenuous avoidance of cliche. "Calm" is a pretty good word to describe it, chajoowon. It's compelling without being melodramatic. 
Regarding why JS broke up with SJ, I assume it is precisely because she likes the new SJ that she does not wish to involve him in her family's mess. And I'm not sure there's any need for YJ's family to be related in any particular way to SJ, other than indirectly through YJ herself and the Yoorim affair. Nor do I think CYW needs to be plotting against SJ (though I'm fine if he is, as long as he has a good reason for doing so). It's sufficient, and realistic, that he regards SJ as a pawn - or, at best, a good soldier - who has outlasted his usefulness. After all, SJ himself knows perfectly well that he can no longer work the way he used to, and it was his own decision to leave the firm at the end of the year .   

Guest blossomnagr

Since all the things I mentioned was said to be shown before the show begin, it is obvious that I am expecting them to happen.

Guest AndOne

This is a hard drama to execute because it involves legal cases and kudos to the writer to try to explore and depict the cases as accurately as possible; hence, the slower than usual pace in the characters development due to time constraint. But, it's sold as a legal drama and if the writer tries to speed up through the cases and legal proceedings, ANL will read as a sloppy drama.  

I have resigned myself from my own expectation and like @Chajowoon said , just see what story the writer has in store for me -- so far I've been quite entertained and had "oh, i didn't expect that!" moment so many times which is a rarity for me when it comes to K drama.

Archived