is 20+ too old to audition? opinion, tips and so on needed! (help thread for audition when 20+?)

ohaii~
i know there are already some topics similar to this but i wanted to create my own one just because.

the reason why i made this thread is because i want to know if there are any people around here which are 20+ and still want to audition for the kpop industry and want to chase their dream no matter what other people say. i'm asking for 20+ because i'm 21, turning 22 in october - not korean age (korean age would be 22, turning 23 in october). i'm worried about the age limit and the whole "how old is too old" thing because these days the rookie bands gets more and more younger and it feels a bit awkward to have bias which are ways younger than i am and i don't want to be a pedo noona lol. okay, that's not the point now, i'm just wondering if there are people which feel the same like me? maybe we can discuss this topic here or help each other, give tips and so on. what do you think? it would be nice to talk with people which share the same dream. i don't care who's writing in this topic i'm thankful for EVERY opinion and help i can get so please don't think i made this only for people 20+ :)
you can also send me a private message if you want to talk to me personally.

Guest babyvox012

I went to an SM audition when I was 24. Yes, it is probably old for their standards, but if you are truly amazing, I don't think they will cap it at any age. I'm actually hoping there will someday be a kpop group debuting in their 30's... that would be so great!

@babyvox012 thx for your answear. may i ask how old you are now and if you can tell me about your audition?
i'm also hoping that there will be some kpop groups debuting in their mid 20's or older in the future. that really would be great and so everyone can have a chance, no matter how old you are.

Guest xzotic

It actually honestly depends on what agency you're auditioning for and what demographic they're aiming for. They (the agency) might be looking for more solo/ballad singers or try to appeal to an older age group. There are plenty of early-mid twenty artists, but you also have to take into the account the years of training.

• 4 weeks later...

@xzotic thx for your opinion on my thread (:
i'd like to audition for sm ent (most preferably) but i'm open to other companys that take global trainees too and one of my worries is like you said, that i have to take into account the years of training and that if it takes too long i'm never able to debut and have to quit or something like that ;w; and since i can't go to any global or open audition the only option for me is email or mail audition. i'm planning to go to sm globals 2015 because it's too late for 2014 now but i'm 22 then ;w;

Guest TheDesGS

Here's some hope for you :D
There's a new girl group that debuted recently, and the average age of the whole group is 34.
They're called Girl Hood. Here's a link about them: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014/03/new-group-girl-hood-is-an-ahjumma-version-of-girls-generation

• 1 month later...
Guest kyungsoosarmpithair

Hello, i know  this reply is a little late but i think this might help :)
I went to the sm global auditions in NY a few weeks ago and the girl next to in the waiting room said she was 21 she didnt look 21 but she didnt look too young either. Anyways when we entered the auditions, despite her age, the judge lady asked her to step out from the line. She had a decent voice and i think the judge liked her a lot and didnt even care about her age. So, I think 21 isnt too old, I'd say maybe 23-25 :) Anyway if you have a good talent and show your confidence, the judges will take a liking to you because you stand out.

It is a bit hard for you to become an idol, ofcourse it is not impossible but the chances are really low to become one. Companies are looking for young kids and train them to become a superstar, the older you are the lower your chances will be (unless you are really talented ofcourse), your chances are already low and on top of that you are a foreigner who does not know "enough" korean, which makes it harder for you to get accepted. 
It's not impossible, there are some companies willing to invest in foreigners so don't worry >.<
Goodluck

Guest hearthealer

SME is probably the worst company to join unless you enter at age 9-12 :P
YG is more lenient about age, as is JYP. And it really depends on the individual's looks and talent and personality.

Does anyone know any entertainment company accept e-mail audition ? Cuz they never come to my country and I can't anyhow fly to other country to audition ....what i can think is  the first step i can do is through email , I know the chance is very low but if they ever interest on me then i can fly to korea for further audition instead going to their company blindly and wasting money on flight...

Guest babyvox012

ricecakee said: @babyvox012 thx for your answear. may i ask how old you are now and if you can tell me about your audition?
i'm also hoping that there will be some kpop groups debuting in their mid 20's or older in the future. that really would be great and so everyone can have a chance, no matter how old you are.

Sorry for the late reply! I am 27 years old now. The audition went fine. Other people were cut off and I wasn't. I was definitely the oldest one there. Everyone was in their teens... so that was kind of awkward.

@hearthealer you may be right, but i think everyone's opinion is different ^__^ it's true that a lot people think SM isn't as good as other companys but we'll never know the truth unless we're a part of it. i want to go to SM since i discovered kpop. idk why SM but i think it's the company which fits me the best. as for YG or JYP it's the opposite, i like some of their artists but they're not a company where i can see me in (if you get what i mean xD) even though i think JYP is a good company and maybe more human than SM or YG. FNC is good too i guess. well, probably there are no "good or bad" companys out there since every person is different and i think it's the best to go for a company which fits your standards, where you can deal with their richard simmons and in which you can see yourself in. every company is different and you have to pick out the one which is best for you :)

@wengfrecrixs there are a lot companys that accept email audition, but not all of them take foreign trainees (means only korean or chinese people). i know that the big three SM, YG and JYP have email audition, also cube, fnc, star empire and some others too but i don't know all. you should check the homepage of every ent so you can see if they do or not and if they take global trainees or not. if you want help or have questions you also pm me, i can try to help you.
and here's a link where all companys are listed, there are chinese and japanese companys too: http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/372962/asian-entertainment-company-directory-updated-as-of-7-24-13/p1
class="H"

@ricecakee Glad to see that there is still people active in this section .Yes I am chinese , So nowadays most of them is available for email audition ... back then is only JYP allow email audition lol I always having problem with the jyp audition website , maybe it because my upload speed slow .One more thing is I feel that JYP online audition so fake .  My priority will go for YG both email and mail audition in someday cuz somehow they seem actual . Then after I make all the files and document done , I''ll apply for all the company that allow email audition .Right now I totally can''t sing . I doubt I has my vocal nodules T.T Anyway thanks for your offers and I wondering how can you help me lol 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest della712

tbh, being under 20 is always an advantage, if you're asking me. they will definitely choose younger people.
but, i went to 2 kpop auditions when i was already old. i went to kpop star hunt in 2013 and sm global audition in feb. it was all for experiences and i felt great. i knew they wouldnt accept me and dont know why i didnt try mail auditions few years ago. probably because i focused a lot on my study. just give it a try, you'll miss nothing. im planning to join dsp audition as well for the sake of experience and might try to send a mail to yge cuz i just feel like it haha. these will be my last shots.  you only live once, so do anything you want to do before you regret it someday

Guest Prize Paing

Hi everyone I'm Crystal 23years old a new member  in here. I just wanna ask you about of SM , YG & JYP audition.I know my age is too late for audition. But I can't forget yet my dream. I was 11 years old I sang karoake in my mon's friend home almost everyday.She always told me you can sing as like a adult & she told my mon your daughter can be a good singer one day.I can write lyrics since I was 13 but I can't play any instruments.I really wanna learn playing guitar & drum. But you know when I was adult 18 years old my parents didn't allowed me to sing . They want me to be a engineer that's why my high school marks can got in engineering universtiy.I'm educated in february 2014 .Now I learning some engineering drawings & japaness &korea & English that I need to get job.But I can't really forget my dream you know this is too difficult for me.
      Well can you give me any ideas for audition? I sent online audition to SM but there have some wrongs.I sent email but my singing file isn't mp3 but I didn't know I though they didn't received my email so I sent again.But it wasn't mp3 .So I sent photo & mp3 file may be 3 or 4 times. But they never replied me . One girl who knew about of SM audition replied me to wait their reply within 3months but this is long 2months so I don't think email audition is not real.May be my talent wans't good.So how should I do??? This is my photo.How?photo.php?fbid=10203280214958644&set=a.4 I just wanna upload my singing though I don't know how should i do so sorry for that ,Ahhh my voice is look like a boy voice .I like to rocking & rapping that I can.

• 2 weeks later...

@wengfrecrixs i know what you mean. i feel that all e-mail auditions are "fake" if you can call it so. we don't know if they will look at all auditions they receive per email or if they skip some in the end. the only thing we can do is try, try, try and hope for a bit of luck xD the best is to go to live auditions but when you live far away from any of it the only thing you can do is e-mail. or save your money for a plane ticket but this might take years in my case, and my parents aren't really supportive with my dream of being part of the kpop industry.
if you can't sing then practice. practice everyday even if it's just one songe it will help you get better :) try to sing along with your favorite songs or to sing without background vocals. you can start with easy songs and if you have a feeling for your voice and how it works you can try out more difficult ones. you also can search in youtube for some singing tips or how to train your vocals, find the right singing voice etc. it's not like professional lessons, but it helps and it's better than nothig. no one is a perfect singer from the beginning and without a vocal coach there is not much we can do to get really really good in singing so it's okay. me too, i'm far away from being a good singer but as long i have the passion for singing and do what i love i'm fine.
well, with "help" i meant if you have some other questions or need tips or want to know something.. things like that ^^

@huari no, i didn't attend the global audition yet neither i tried e-mail audition.

@della712 i feel you. it's always better to be under 20 when you want to audition for a company. i admire that you could go to the live auditions, i wish i could too even it's only for experience. i don't mind if they don't choose me because i know i'm probably too old for these things. i just want to try this out as long as i'm still able to do anything so i don't regret things later and can say i gave my best. i didn't try email audition for the same reason. i focused on study and i'm still focusing on it tbh. even if you have this dream you can't forget the important things you need for your future, it's always good if you have a backup when things get worst. maybe you have luck and they think you have a special something and offer you a contract or not. all we can do is try, we have nothing to lose.
i'm really glad you posted your opinion here so i know that i'm not the only one over 20 who wants to give it a try. i agree, we only live once so at least we should give our best and chase the things we want as long as there is still a chance, we're happy with it and don't regret it :)
would you mind to share your experiences from sm global audition with me?

@laylovesjoey i'm turning 22 in october 11 lol xD in my opinion you're never too old to have a dream but i know what you mean. i also feel i'm too old to chase after this dream but yet i can't let go of it and like i already said above, as long as there is still a chance i will try my best to archive it maybe. this sounds ridiculous but it's better than regret it someday. when you can't go to live audition you can try e-mail audition like me. we never know if they read our e-mail or might like us but i think it's worth a try, even if it's only for experience. and if you still have this dream in your mind you should give it a try :) you have nothing to lose, so why not? victoria from f(x) joined sm after she graduated i guess, she was already 20 or 21 back then. bom and dara also joined yg late and debuted at an age of 24 or 25 so it's not impossible but more difficult to reach as when you're under 20. there are lots of companys out there, you can audition for all of them and maybe one of them is interested in you? i don't want to give out false hope, i just want to say that there is nothing wrong in having a dream like this and try to make it real. it's only too late if you think it's too late. as far as i know they don't only look for talented people in singing or dancing, it's important though, but they also want charismatic people. they will look at you as a whole and if you have a special something that fits the standards of the company and if you have potential to be an idol.
my parents don't like the thought of me being an idol too and that it's just dreaming of impossible things, that i should to something "real". they also paid everything for me, send me to different schools and so on. important is what YOU want and not what you're parents want you to be. you chose who you want to be, not anyone else. your mum can support you but she can't make the decisions for your future life. that's what i told my parents too. tbh, i know exactly how you feel. i'm also scared. i'm super scared of my dream, of myself and of my future but i don't want to live in fear, that's why i decided to step out of my rock and give it a try. in the past i missed so much chances because i was scared. i let other people decide of me and what i had to do and this is what made me unhappy. maybe that's one reason why i don't want to give up my dream yet. because i want to be happy with my own decisions, because i want to create a me by myself and because i think this experience will help to build my future self. if you're sure you want to pusue that path then do it before it's really too late and you regret it.

Prize Paing said:       Hi everyone I'm Crystal 23years old a new member  in here. I just wanna ask you about of SM , YG & JYP audition.I know my age is too late for audition. But I can't forget yet my dream. I was 11 years old I sang karoake in my mon's friend home almost everyday.She always told me you can sing as like a adult & she told my mon your daughter can be a good singer one day.I can write lyrics since I was 13 but I can't play any instruments.I really wanna learn playing guitar & drum. But you know when I was adult 18 years old my parents didn't allowed me to sing . They want me to be a engineer that's why my high school marks can got in engineering universtiy.I'm educated in february 2014 .Now I learning some engineering drawings & japaness &korea & English that I need to get job.But I can't really forget my dream you know this is too difficult for me.
      Well can you give me any ideas for audition? I sent online audition to SM but there have some wrongs.I sent email but my singing file isn't mp3 but I didn't know I though they didn't received my email so I sent again.But it wasn't mp3 .So I sent photo & mp3 file may be 3 or 4 times. But they never replied me . One girl who knew about of SM audition replied me to wait their reply within 3months but this is long 2months so I don't think email audition is not real.May be my talent wans't good.So how should I do??? This is my photo.How?photo.php?fbid=10203280214958644&set=a.4 I just wanna upload my singing though I don't know how should i do so sorry for that ,Ahhh my voice is look like a boy voice .I like to rocking & rapping that I can.

Archived