[Variety] Grandpas over Flowers 꽃보다 할배

‘Grandpas’ become abuelos

The next season of tvN’s popular reality show “Grandpas Over Flowers” will begin March 7, the station announced yesterday.

According to a post on the program’s Facebook page, the first episode will feature the original four “grandpas” - Lee Soon-jae, Shin Gu, Park Geun-hyung and Baek Il-sub - along with their “baggage carrier” Lee Seo-jin on a backpacking trip to Spain. The post included a teaser video featuring Shin.

The production team said that Spain’s unique scenery would make it look very different from the debut season, which took place in France and Taiwan.

By Jin Eun-soo, contributing writer | korean Joong Ang Daily

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Na PD on grandpas, money, and Seo-jinnie the con artistby girlfriday | March 5, 2014 halbaespain_1.jpg
Grandpas Over Flowers is gearing up for the premiere of its third trip to Spain this Friday, and the show’s PD Na Young-seok (known more commonly to all as Na PD) has been giving interviews left and right about the new season and the things we can expect from the halbaes and luggage boy Lee Seo-jin. We cherry-picked the best phrases to translate, but they’re pretty much all zingers.

Read on: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/03/na-pd-on-grandpas-money-and-seo-jinnie-the-con-artist/Via OsenMy DailyeNews24

“In order to get more money for the halbaes, he [seo-jin] came nearly to scam artist levels with the staff.”

“He used his brains a lot to con us of more money for the elders, by any means possible. We producers couldn’t let our guards down for even a moment through the ten days. We tried really hard not to be fooled.”

“Lee Seo-jin and the staff end up in a much fiercer battle than expected. Before we would’ve said things like, ‘You can’t do that,’ but now our exchanges sound more like: ‘What’re you doing! Stop right there! Catch him! That bastard is a thief!’”

Cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/03/na-pd-on-grandpas-money-and-seo-jinnie-the-con-artist/

sgsairl said: “In order to get more money for the halbaes, he [seo-jin] came nearly to scam artist levels with the staff.”

“He used his brains a lot to con us of more money for the elders, by any means possible. We producers couldn’t let our guards down for even a moment through the ten days. We tried really hard not to be fooled.”

“Lee Seo-jin and the staff end up in a much fiercer battle than expected. Before we would’ve said things like, ‘You can’t do that,’ but now our exchanges sound more like: ‘What’re you doing! Stop right there! Catch him! That bastard is a thief!’”

Cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/03/na-pd-on-grandpas-money-and-seo-jinnie-the-con-artist/

All New 'Grandpas Over Flowers' Returns this Fridayiybrcy2g25voyxf14geep28pfpugkjks.jpg
[by Cho Suyoun] tvN's travel program 'Grandpas Over Flowers' will air first episode of the new season this Friday.
'Grandpas Over Flowers' is finally returning to screen. According to the production company of this program CJ E&M, the 2nd season of 'Grandpas Over Flowers' will begin to be aired from March 7.
Just like in the 1st season, the members will be exactly the same as follows: four grandpas Shin Gu, Baek Il Seob, Lee Soon Jae, Park Keun Hyung and a young helper actor Lee Suh Jin. 
As it has been known since February, the destination of season 2 is Spain. The producers revealed that the theme in this season was 'backpacking trip at golden age' and the episodes will be filled with laughter and dynamic stories.
The crew left for Spain in early February and recently returned to Korea. Since the starred grandpas once revealed that the trip was very satisfactory so the audience has paid great attention toward this Spain project.
The all new season of 'Grandpas Over Flowers' will begin to be aired regularly every Friday from this week.

‘Grandpas’ back, but as abuelos

06205923.jpg

Less than a year has passed since the four “grandpas” - Shin Goo, Baek Il-sub, Lee Soon-jae, and Park Geun-hyeong - shot to fame on tvN’s reality program “Grandpas Over Flowers.” Accompanied by their designated “bag carrier,” younger actor Lee Seo-jin, the program’s stars went backpacking, first to France and Switzerland, and then to Taiwan, becoming a cultural phenomenon along the way.

Now, Korea’s most famous seniors are heading out on their third trip, this time to Spain, one of the sunniest and most exotic European countries. The program’s producer, Na Young-suk, sat down with local media to talk about their trip, which was filmed from Feb. 1 to Feb. 10, and about his expectations.

Q. What’s the difference between this trip to Spain and the previous ones?

A. This time, we pinned down the concept, deciding to make it an intermediate-leveled backpacking trip - to make it more resemble a real backpacking trip that young people take. For example, we only provided the starting city [barcelona] and the finishing city [Madrid], so the grandpas had to fill in the blanks themselves. Also, on the prior trips we provided each of them with 100,000 won [$94] each day for housing, food and fees. But this time we lessened the allowance, too. The grandpas will reveal some previously unseen sides of their personalities.

What does the “bag carrier” Lee Seo-jin have to offer this trip?

As you can see in our teaser video, while the grandpas are excited, Lee says “Is it just me that’s nervous?” Until now, Lee led the grandpas based on his experience in foreign countries and his English skill. He seemed like a “genius” type who could do well without trying much. But, in Spain, most people don’t speak English and he has never been there before. Viewers will see Lee struggling, being clumsy and floundering in front of the grandpas.

Why did you pick Spain as the third destination?

06205959.jpg
A scene from the latest series of the tvN program “Grandpas Over Flowers.” From left: Baek Il-sub, Lee Soon-jae, Shin Goo and Park Geun-hyeong. Provided by CJ E&M
First, we wanted to choose a country where experienced travelers go, and for that Spain was an apt choice. Also, Spain is somewhat similar but also very different from other European countries. It was influenced by Islamic culture so it gives off a very exotic ambience. And its warm weather was one of the reasons, too.

Before, it was kind of hard to distinguish whether the trips were about sightseeing or traveling. What about Spain?

In the third season, we definitely wanted to emphasize the travel aspect rather than sightseeing. We wanted the grandpas to feel as much as possible like people who go on trips for real. For example, what it’s like getting into a fight with a friend and then make up, and feeling exhausted after a tight schedule. 

What does travel mean to you?

It’s simple - it stands for the opposite of our daily lives. When we are there, it brings back our childish side, making mistakes and being frank about our emotions. 

What are your future plans?

I have some more stories to offer using the theme of traveling. I think it’s time for me to offer something new [other than the “Flowers” series]. I am planning on creating a totally different project this year.

The third trip of “Grandpas Over Flowers” begins tonight at 9:50 p.m.

BY JIN EUN-SOO, CONTRIBUTING WRITER [estyle@joongang.co.kr] | Korean joong Ang daily

Will anyone sub this?
I would really love to see this sub.
I've been waiting for the grandpas to travel again. Just can't wait to see SoeJin-ie battle it out with Na PD again. I really fell in love with SoeJIn-ie on their first Europe travel, to see how a quiet & serious man could falters from the pressure of Na PD and the 4 halbaes on a supposed to be a wonderful relaxing trip.

hee...watching the raw without subtitles.  Amazing the grandpas went off to Spain by themselves without their porter!  Lee Soon Jae is real cool! Might be the oldest but he's great in leading the other grandpas.  Though he seldom turn back to check that the others are catching up with him  lol

emmie

said: hee...watching the raw without subtitles.  Amazing the grandpas went off to Spain by themselves without their porter!  Lee Soon Jae is real cool! Might be the oldest but he's great in leading the other grandpas.  Though he seldom turn back to check that the others are catching up with him  lol

@czakhareina, I just pm-ed you the link.  Hope you can watch it  :)

I love this show as it shows a side that wouldn't be otherwise seen in dramas.  I would never expect these grandpas to know how to speak other languages well. 

what does haraboji mean?

heh, for Il Sub haraboji, think just need to find him a chair and food, he would be happy to sit and not see any sights.  :P

emmie said:

@czakhareina, I just pm-ed you the link.  Hope you can watch it  :)

I love this show as it shows a side that wouldn't be otherwise seen in dramas.  I would never expect these grandpas to know how to speak other languages well. 

what does haraboji mean?

heh, for Il Sub haraboji, think just need to find him a chair and food, he would be happy to sit and not see any sights.  :P

Grandpas Over Flowers in Spain: Episode 1by javabeans | March 10, 2014 halbaespain1-00274b.jpg

girlfriday: Yaaay, the halbaes are back! I’m already excited about the new cartoon opening.

javabeans: It’s so cute. And strangely appropriate to see Soon-jae halbae attired as a king. I’m less sure about Seo-jin as… what is that?

girlfriday: I… don’t know.

javabeans: A… nun?

girlfriday: Well now I hope it’s a nun.

javabeans: A friar?

read on: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/03/grandpas-over-flowers-in-spain-episode-1/

Archived