Kang Ha Neul 강하늘 ♥ [Movie 2023] Dream [Upcoming Drama 2024] Squid Game season 2

Go Seung Ji

*** I remember there was a report that I read before that KHN has a trait of memorizing the name of every staff member of all the dramas/movies he made. And according to reports that he bought one staff member who lived without air conditioning an air conditioner as a present. And I also read that during his mandatory military service KHN also achieved fame for writing handwritten letters to the men who came after him. That is perhaps what makes him so appealing & adorable.  Up to now, he still has this unchanging boyish image. :P

• Like 2

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to Kang Ha Neul 강하늘 ♥ Current Drama: When the Camellia Blooms

“When The Camellia Blooms” Sees Impressive Jump In Viewership Ratings For Day 2

757dd55ec86947beaa2a7e357628aa05.jpeg?s=

“When the Camellia Blooms” is continuing its lead!

According to Nielsen Korea, the September 19 broadcast of KBS 2TV’s newest drama recorded a national average of 6.7 and 8.3 percent during the third and fourth episodes, respectively.

“When the Camellia Blooms” premiered as the No. 1 drama in its time slot on September 18 with 6.3 percent and 7.4 percent and has already surpassed 8 percent by its second day.

SBS’s “Secret Boutique” recorded 4.3 and 4.5 percent, while MBC’s “Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung” saw 3.8 and 5 percent in viewership ratings.

credit : soompi news

• Like 3

*** I'm happy that this drama broke its own record in just two episodes. I hope it continuous to do well. :P

[HanCinema's News] "When the Camellia Blooms" Character Correlation Chart

photo1102742.jpg

KBS has released a character correlation chart to help keep track of the many people in its latest drama, "When the Camellia Blooms".

The design of the chart is simpler and cuter than usual. Much of this has to do with the relatively small core cast and how most of them only have relationships with the lead characters and not each other.

But much of the chart is also aesthetically designed to evoke a deliberate cheerful tone. All the characters save for Kang Ha-neul's compatriots at the police station and the baby are represented by animals. The lead actors are represented by a bear and a hippo, the least cute of the bunch, yet still presented in a very simple style.

Mystery elements are invoked in the form of question marks indicating ambiguously defined feelings. Beyond that, characters are clearly labeled by profession and are all shown to be friends with each other. The obvious exception to this is the question mark in the bottom right corner which refers to a serial killer - this can not be squared with the overall marketing for "When the Camellia Blooms" and is also a long term plot point, hence why it is so deemphasized.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 2

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Sep. 16-22, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

It was noona romance When the Camellia Blooms that took the number one spot,

Wednesday, Sep. 18      
When the Camellia Blooms 1 KBS 6.3%
When the Camellia Blooms 2 KBS 7.4%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 33 MBC 4.0%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 34 MBC 6.0%
Secret Boutique 1 SBS 4.6%
Running Investigators 1 OCN 1.2%
When the Devil Calls Your Name 15 tvN 1.6%
Thursday, Sep. 19      
When the Camellia Blooms 3 KBS 6.7%
When the Camellia Blooms 4 KBS 8.3%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 35 MBC 3.8%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 36 MBC 5.0%
Secret Boutique 2 SBS 4.5%
Running Investigators 2 OCN 1.3%
When the Devil Calls Your Name 16 tvN 1.6%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-sep-16-22-2019/

• Like 1

*** I love the first two episodes because there is something appealing about the storyline. Not surprising that it topped the TV ratings for its timeslot. I also love that the story moves at a surprisingly brisk pace. Kang Ha Neul is a joy to watch.  He falls for Dong Baek at first sight that he gets embroiled into all matters concerning her.  KHN’s humor scenes with her were fun. Then there are numerous & different neighbors that the main characters have to deal with. :P

• Like 1

K-Drama Premiere: “When The Camellia Blooms” Delicately Hints At A Beautifully Entwined Blossoming Of Love And Mystery

The triumphant and long-awaited return of Gong Hyo Jin and Kang Ha Neul did not disappoint in When the Camellia Blooms.

When the Camellia Blooms premiered this week and hit the mark for everything any drama fan longs for: an interesting ensemble and an intriguing story line enough to keep one guessing.

When_the_Camellia_Blooms-TP-1.jpg

PREMIERE WEEK RATING: 4.5.gif

Scoring 7.4% and 8.7% for its nationwide viewership ratings, the humble beginnings of Dong Baek’s Camellia bar set tongues wagging. Gong Hyo Jin portrays Dong Baek as a timid and shy bar owner. But don’t take her lightly because she still somehow knows how to defend herself. Gong’s character is beautiful and reserved, leaving men to gawk at her as she passes by.

Meanwhile, Kang Ha Neul makes a comeback after his discharge in the mandatory military enlistment. As Yong Sik, he yearns to be sophisticated and suave, but his hot-headedness gets ahead of him. He is simple-minded to say the least, but his sincerity and kindness helps us overlook this slight flaw. The moment he sees Dong Baek, he’s impossibly smitten. And from then on out, it’s adorable to watch Yong Sik fumble his way through his admiration for Dong Baek.

When The Camellia Blooms

Premiere Week Recap

The premiere week leads its viewers immediately to a dark and ominous scene. A murder may have just taken place and viewers follow behind a police officer walking slowly to the scene. As paramedics lift the dead body, the arm falls, revealing a bracelet.

Up next, a small and quiet neighborhood watches with curiosity as a beautiful young woman moves in. Dong Baek, with her long hair flowing behind her, appears suddenly and glances around her. Men gawk at her beauty, the women see her as a threat. As she lifts down a baby stroller from the moving truck, there’s a collective sigh of relief among the women.

Meanwhile Yong Sik’s mother rushes about, sighing in despair over her wayward son. A still unknown lad called Yong Sik, who seems to always be in the right place to catch a robber or a pickpocket. His desire to help and flaring temper get ahead of him all the time, defying any threat of danger. The police are familiar with the brave young man, often having to cite him for his accomplishments. Inevitably, he becomes a police officer.

70939336_3259609037390322_82577696252829

However, even as Dong Baek strives hard to befriend her neighbors, they decide against the beautiful Dong Baek. They already see her as a threat, and when they find out that Camellia is not a flower shop but a bar, she’s even more disliked. They turn against her and gossip about her up to the point of even harassing her. In short, she’s not welcome. They cruelly predict that she won’t even last three months.

However, Dong Baek provides what the men in this neighborhood longs for; a safe refuge from their gossiping wives, mothers, and daughters. They work under the strict arm of their wives and never catch a break. As Dong Baek opens the doors to the Camellia, men flock in. Not because of Dong Baek herself, but because of what the Camellia provides: a place to relax and have a beer.

The Potential Men in Dong Baek’s Life

As previously mentioned, Yong Sik is instantly attracted with Dong Baek. After seeing her in a bookstore, he follows her outside, obviously smitten. He mistakes her for a lawyer, and is surprised when she owns the bar his co-workers drag him to.

70634114_3251623061522253_66043823564993

But Yong Sik’s huge crush on Dong Baek is refreshing. He offers to be her friend and on her side when he sees the neighborhood ladies harass Dong Baek. He comes to her aid and goes as far as stealing No Kyu Tae’s wallet just to pay back the 8000 won Mr. No refused to pay. Yong Sik follows Dong Baek around like a lovesick puppy.

Meanwhile, Kang Jong Ryeol is a doting father who currently stars on Return of the Superman, Jong Ryeol sighs over his vain wife Jessica. She’s more obsessed over her verified mark on her social media than her own daughter. She keeps away from both her husband and child, living in her own narcissistic bubble.

Spoiler

Jong Ryeol goes back to his hometown Ongsan to shoot for the variety show. Dong Baek’s son Pil Gu faces off with Jong Ryeol because he’s pissed off. The brave young boy is obsessed with baseball, and hates that they can’t practice because of the filming. Dong Baek comes running because she heard Jong Ryeol was in her hometown. She calls to Pil Gu as Jong Ryeol looks at her in surprise.

It turns out that they used to be lovers, and Jong Ryeol is the mysterious missing father of Dong Baek’s son. Dong Baek sees the panicked look on Jong Ryeol’s face and lies that she has a husband.

Dong Baek is caught however, when she arrives at the Camellia with Yong Sik. Jong Ryeol waits for her in the shadows, and sees the pair arrive. He guesses that Yong Sik is the husband Dong Baek referred to. Dong Baek grabs Yong Sik’s hand and walks away. But both Mr No and Jong Ryeol are left staring at the two. Are they dating? Dong Baek is stuck with the three men waiting for her answer.

Premiere Week Afterthoughts

Once in awhile I struggle with getting through with some dramas. The story is slow, the cast members don’t have the right chemistry, or the setting seems totally off. But then life rewards me with gems like When the Camellia Blooms and I feel all is right in the world again.

I have been a Gong Hyo Jin believer ever since. I love her drama choices and her chameleon like acting. No matter what kind of role she portrays, she embodies the character and totally forget about the actress. I’ve seen her in quiet roles and in demanding roles. She was a struggling actress once and even a clairvoyant in another drama.

But this is the first time I’ve seen her take on a mother role. I admire her courage for this, and I can see why she got this role. She nailed it as Dong Baek in the premiere week. She was timid and shy, and I thought the neighborhood ahjummas would walk all over her. But she stands her ground. Well, tries to at least. She’s aware of her place in society, but she’s unapologetic about it.

70260395_3254473517903874_92307801768355

I’ve seen Kang Ha Neul in several dramas before, but never really paid that much attention to him. But believe me, I’m paying attention now. He’s adorable. His acting actually stole the show for me. I saw how he wanted to be sophisticated and how he wanted a mature Princess Diana-like woman from Seoul. But he falls immediately in love with Dong Baek. He’s hilarious too because he’s so awkward that it’s endearing.

With that said, I can’t enthuse enough about the story. I like it when there’s mystery intertwined with the romance and comedy. I don’t want too much mystery though since I easily get stressed out. And the drama seems to feel the same way. It’s basically just that scene where Yong Sik, as it was later revealed, walks toward a murdered body. The bracelet on that body’s arm is the same one Dong Baek has on. It’s also the bracelet that Jong Ryeol won for her. Is it Dong Baek? We’ll have to wait and see.

Another mystery waiting to unfold is the mysterious person watching over Dong Baek. But then, all the more reason to tune in to next week to find out.

Overall, I enjoyed the premiere week so much. I love that Netflix picks up on great dramas to binge-watch over. It makes me feel like Netflix is like my best buddy who instantly knows the junk food I like and gets them ready for when I come over.

Image credit : KBS

When the Camellia Blooms updates weekly on Netflix and can be watched every Wednesday and Thursday on KBS2 TV.

source : HelloKpop

• Like 1

4 Things We Loved About The Premiere Of “When The Camellia Blooms”

b6925fc14f18489f9ca3a680df2445b0.jpeg?s=

The day us Kang Ha Neul fans have been waiting for has finally come.

kang-ha-neul.gif

Oh, how we’ve missed your clapping laugh, Kang Ha Neul!

It’s been awhile since we’ve seen the likes of Kang Ha Neul, as before this series, he was serving in the military for almost two years.

It was a matter of time before he started acting again, but it was quite the pleasant surprise that he not only decided to choose a lead role, but that it was in a rom-com alongside Gong Hyo Jin! Although we were graced with some glimpses of the drama here and there with the trailers, it was a bit difficult to get a complete feel of what the K-drama would be like, which is why there wasn’t much expectation leading up the premiere. Curious to see what I loved about the first few episodes? Keep reading!

Warning: minor spoilers head.

Spoiler

1. LOVED: The confidence and strength of the female lead

Gong Hyo Jin’s character, Dong Baek, is one that we’re not that used to in terms of K-drama female leads. She’s not only a single mother who owns a bar, but she’s a single mother who was never married who runs a bar. In Korean culture, single women who raise children on their own aren’t looked that highly upon, which is why Dong Baek is such a powerful character.

What we know about Dong Baek thus far is that she moved to Ongsan with a baby to open up a bar named “Camellia.” The neighboring stores and restaurants are obviously not all pleased about this development, as they feel threatened by the “newbie” and especially dislike the fact that the husbands in town will be spending more time at this new bar. The refreshing part of Gong Hyo Jin’s character comes when she first meets the owners of the other stores. She doesn’t beat around the bush and is completely honest and open about her situation.

when-the-camellia-blooms4.jpg

gong-hyo-jin-1.jpggong-hyo-jin-2.jpg

Although she does run into some neighbors who constantly try to degrade her, she doesn’t make excuses for who she is. She is strong, calm, independent, and has a poise that any woman would be proud of. The fact that she’s not ashamed of her past and having to raise a child on her own is something that females will find strength in.

2. LOVED: The “falling in love at first sight” trope and Kang Ha Neul

Kang Ha Neul plays Hwang Yong Sik, a rough-and-tumble cop who ends up falling in love at first sight with Dong Baek (Gong Hyo Jin). He has dreams of falling in love with a woman who is elegant like Princess Diana, so when he stumbles across Dong Baek at the book store, he believes he has found his Princess Diana.

kang-ha-neul1.gif

gong-hyo-jin.gif

kang-ha-neul-.gif

This one never seems to get old for me. There’s something about seeing someone fall helplessly in love with another at just a first glance. And when that someone is Kang Ha Neul, it makes it all the more romantic and adorable. Seeing that enormous and goofy smile on his face whenever he sees Dong Baek is seriously just so sweet! It’s enough of a reason to watch the series.

kang-ha-neul.png

3. LOVED: “I only sell alcohol.”

This one goes in line with the first one, but it deserved a number of its own. When Dong Baek is being harassed by Mr. No and he keeps pestering her about having a shot of alcohol as well as giving him free peanuts, Dong Baek doesn’t let him win. She puts him in his place by telling him that he has no right to lay his hands on her and to harass her.

when-the-camellia-blooms.gif

gong-hyo-jin-.gif

She’s not afraid to tell him off despite the fact that he’s her landlord and gives her a lot of business. Nothing is worth more than her worth, and this makes her so admirable. She’s definitely a female lead that I’ll be rooting for in this series!

4. LOVED: The grandma

Go Doo Shim plays a grandma who owns a marinated crab restaurant. She’s the only one in the neighborhood who seems to stick up for Dong Baek. It’s a shame, really, because she gets picked on a lot because she owns a bar. The grandma is pretty awesome, and you really love her because she’s not afraid to tell others off when they put Dong Baek down.

when-the-camellia-blooms.pngwhen-the-camellia-blooms-1.png

Dong Baek really needs this grandma in her life. She doesn’t have many people in her life who are willing to put themselves out there for her. This grandma is the only reason why we’re not ripping our hair out at all the other women in the neighborhood who are picking on Dong Baek. Go grandma!

when-the-camellia-blooms1.pngwhen-the-camellia-blooms-11.png

Hey Soompiers, how did you like the premiere of “When The Camellia Blooms”?

credit : soompi news

Spoiler

• Like 1

Update 3rd Week l 10 Most Talked About Actors & Dramas On September 2019

Good Data Corporation releases weekly rankings of the most talked about dramas and actors/actresses of the airing dramas. The data are collected from the netizen’s reactions to online news, community, social media and videos.

3rd Week of September (Release on Sept. 23)

-Dramas-

1- “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency

2- “Vagabond

3- “Arthdal Chronicles

4- “When the Camellia Blooms

5- “Pegasus Market”

6- “Hell is Other People

7- “Be Melodramatic

8– “Mother of Mine”

9- “Secret Boutique”

10- “Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung

most talked about actors, most talked dramas, kdramas most talked

Good Data Corporation

-Actors-

1- Park JiHoon – “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency

2- Suzy – “Vagabond

3- Lee SeungGi – “Vagabond

4- Gong HyoJin – “When the Camellia Blooms

5- Kang HaNeul – “When the Camellia Blooms

6- Kim SunA – “Secret Boutique”

7- Song JoongKi – “Arthdal Chronicles

8- Kim MinJae – “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency

9- Gong SeungYeon – “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency

10- Ji ChangWook – “Melting Me Softly

most talked about actors, most talked dramas, kdramas most talked

Good Data Corporation

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/10-most-talked-about-actors-dramas-on-september-2019/

*** “When the Camellia Blooms” has reached 10 percent viewership ratings in only three episodes! According to Nielsen Korea, last night's EP, which was September 25  the drama achieved nationwide viewership ratings of 8.6 percent in the first half and 10 percent in the second half.  :P

[Ratings] "When the Camellia Blooms" Climbs up to 10% at Incredible Speed

photo1104822.jpg

"When the Camellia Blooms" is on the rise.

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV drama "When the Camellia Blooms" rated 8.6% and 10% on the 25th.

The viewing percentage increased by 1.9% and 1.3% and resulted in breaking through 10% in just 3 episodes.

MBC's "Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung" rated 4.0% and 6.2% while SBS's "Secret Boutique" rated 4,4% and 5.0%. "Graceful Family" rated 5.2% and tvN's "Miss Lee" rated 2.6%.

Source : stoo.asiae.co.kr/arti...

Translation : Hancinema

*** “When the Camellia Blooms” ratings increased significantly. The drama is popular and reached its ratings at 10%. :P

Wednesday-Thursday Korean Drama Ratings | 4th Week Of September

cover-ratings-2709.jpg

Wednesday-Thursday K-Dramas’ ratings are back! Which drama would have come first this week?

“Miss Lee” started with Girl’s Day’s HyeRi, Kim SangKyung, Uhm HyunKyung, and Cha SeoWon.

“Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung” ended. From next week on the same time slot on MBC “Extraordinary You” with Kim HyeYoonSF9‘s RoWoonAPRIL‘s NaEunLee JaeWookKim YoungDaeJung GunJooLee TaeRi and more will premiere.

Sept. 25 (Wednesday)

When the Camellia Blooms Ep. 6 KBS 10.0%
When the Camellia Blooms Ep. 5 KBS 8.6%
Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung Ep. 38 MBC 6.2%
Graceful Family MBN 5.2%
Secret Boutique SBS 5.0%
Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung Ep. 37 MBC 4.0%
Miss Lee tvN 2.6%
The Running Mates: Human Rights OCN 1.2%

Sept. 26 (Thursday)

When the Camellia Blooms Ep. 8 KBS 10.0%
When the Camellia Blooms Ep. 7 KBS 7.7%
Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung Ep. 40 MBC 6.6%
Graceful Family MBN 5.3%
Secret Boutique SBS 4.9%
Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung Ep. 39 MBC 4.5%
Miss Lee tvN 3.2%
The Running Mates: Human Rights OCN  

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/wednesday-thursday-korean-drama-ratings-4th-week-of-september/

• Like 1

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Sep. 23-29, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

On Wednesday, noona romance When the Camellia Blooms hit double digits, in its second week no less.

Wednesday, Sep. 25      
When the Camellia Blooms 5 KBS 8.6%
When the Camellia Blooms 6 KBS 10.0%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 37 MBC 4.0%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 38 MBC 6.2%
Secret Boutique 3 SBS 5.0%
Running Investigators 3 OCN 1.2%
Miss Lee 1 tvN 2.6%
Thursday, Sep. 26      
When the Camellia Blooms 7 KBS 7.7%
When the Camellia Blooms 8 KBS 10.0%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 39 MBC 4.5%
Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung 40 MBC 6.6%
Secret Boutique 4 SBS 4.9%
Running Investigators 4 OCN 1.1%
Miss Lee 2 tvN 3.2%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-sep-23-29-2019/

3 Ways “When The Camellia Blooms” Breaks Romance Drama Stereotypes

dcac9e29457e4c6fab152dfb8c654458.jpeg?s=

KBS 2TV’s “When The Camellia Blooms” is subverting romance drama tropes with its fresh take on the genre!

“When the Camellia Blooms” tells the stories of three couples in different stages of love. The drama focuses on the romance that blossoms between Dong Baek (played by Gong Hyo Jin), a woman who is trapped in a certain perception of love, and Hwang Yong Shik (played by Kang Ha Neul), who shows undying support and love for her.

When-the-Camellia-Blooms-1.jpg

Here are three ways the drama is breaking the trend of handsome, rich, and arrogant male leads and spunky Cinderella-type female leads to make for a captivating tale.

Spoiler

Honest comments that don’t beat around the bush

There may be times that your head starts hurting from the endless push-and-pull between the main leads of a drama. However, you won’t get that from Dong Baek and Hwang Yong Shik, who approach each other honestly without calculation.

Hwang Yong Shik expresses his blooming feelings for Dong Baek through instinctive and unsophisticated words, while Dong Baek, who normally cannot speak badly of other people, says frankly to his face, “That guy makes me strangely angry.” The two show their feelings as they are without trying to look cool in front of each other.

Unprecedented level of romance

Hwang Yong Shik’s honest way of speaking leads him to show a unique type of romance. After realizing that a person’s heart can change in just three seconds, Hwang Yong Shik shows unlimited displays of love towards Dong Baek within just a couple hours of their first meeting. With his unyielding resolve, he doesn’t give up no matter what troubles face him or what Dong Baek says to him. Although it’s far from the sweet confession of a typical male lead, Hwang Yong Shik’s words, “I have fallen for your spring-like face and gotten a cold from the fine rain” are actually more honest and perfectly encompass his unrefined charm.

Encouragement that is even sweeter than the romance

Hwang Yong Shik does not just stop at being romantic. Whenever he approaches Dong Baek, who is held down by the sharpness of the world, something lights up inside his heart. He is firmly on Dong Baek’s side and showers her with encouraging words like, “From now on, if you get slapped, come rant to me,” and “Don’t be soft like tofu, be a chisel.” He conveys his sincerity by saying, “Being kinder than others and living steadily is something that everyone should respect and applaud.” Hwang Yong Shik moves viewers’ hearts with his belief that a person can be changed by helping them discover their true worth and constantly reminding them of it.

What are your favorite things about the drama?

“When the Camellia Blooms” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 p.m. KST.

Source (1) / soompi news

Spoiler

*** I'm happy that “When the Camellia Blooms”  continues to show impressive results in viewership ratings! Last night's EP  scored ratings of 9.3 and 11.5 percent and held on its spot at the top of its time slot. The drama has consistently received the highest viewership ratings in its time slot ever since it premiered last month. It also broke into the double digits last week. :P It's a good drama. 

• Like 4

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Sep. 30-Oct. 6, 20

dramaratings_2.jpg

Wednesday, Oct. 2      
When the Camellia Blooms 9 KBS 9.3%
When the Camellia Blooms 10 KBS 11.5%
Extraordinary You 1 MBC 3.1%
Extraordinary You 2 MBC 3.5%
Secret Boutique 5 SBS 5.3%
Running Investigators 5 OCN 0.8%
Miss Lee 3 tvN 3.0%
Thursday, Oct. 3      
When the Camellia Blooms 11 KBS 10.2%
When the Camellia Blooms 12 KBS 12.9%
Extraordinary You 3 MBC 2.2%
Extraordinary You 4 MBC 3.3%
Secret Boutique 6 SBS 5.8%
Running Investigators 6 OCN 0.8%
Miss Lee 4 tvN 3.9%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-sep-30-oct-6-2019/